Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope This Is Not True/ Irsay chooses grigson over gruden....(merge)

Coltsfan1284

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disappointing if true. Irsay should have known ownership stake would be a big deal before he even bothered to pursue Manning. If they weren't prepared to compromise there then he should have never pursued it. As for Gruden, he should have known no big name coach will want to work with Grigson. The only person who seems to really respect Grigson is Irsay.  If he wasn't prepared to fire Grigson then he shouldn't have bothered to reach out to Gruden.

1 minute ago, VocableLoki said:

I have a really, really hard time believing this. Irsay was very close to firing him last year and now he retains him to deny the coach/FO he wants?

This is why I gave the topic heading I did and am taking this news with a grain of salt.  Yet, it seems like this could be just as possible as it might not be.

1 minute ago, Coltsfan1284 said:

This is why I gave the topic heading I did and am taking this news with a grain of salt.  Yet, it seems like this could be just as possible as it might not be.

It wouldn't be a surprise if it were true though. Well's isnt the only guy i have seen on twitter indicating the same thing. Plus, Grigson and roster control was brought up as an issue several times in the last week by guys who were reporting the Manning and Gruden interest.  Hard to totally ignore these guys when they have had information that seems to be right for the most part.

The big issue I find with retaining Grigson is this; he has a track record of exceedingly poor decision making as GM over the past 5 years. Waiting an extra year to fire him because you don't have a "splash" hire lined up is nonsense. His drafting, free agent signing and trades could potentially set the team back years. It is fine if every season existed in a vacuum, but his decisions now have implications reaching into the next 4 years or more.

Furthermore, the team has quite obviously regressed under his stewardship. Over the first 3 years there was the illusion of improvement. In my opinion, much of this was down to the progression of Luck and Hilton, along with strong performances from the likes of Davis and an aging Robert Mathis.

Not only does his talent evaluation leave a lot to be desired, but I also feel like the manner in which he has adressed the needs of this team are lackluster. Honestly, I feel that TY and Davis are the only proven quality moves he has made as GM. Luck was always Irsay's choice. Can we gamble with the future of this team for another year?

3 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Giving away a stake in the team would be a stupid business decision. Under no circumstance should that ever be a condition. 

I am not advocating he should have agreed to what Manning may have wanted, but depending on the % of stake why would it be a stupid decision? Could be a very smart decision. 

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

I am not advocating he should have agreed to what Manning may have wanted, but depending on the % of stake why would it be a stupid decision? Could be a very smart decision. 

Manning would bring value to the team. So irsay could even make money. I'd understand not wanting to give a stake to anyone but Peyton manning. 

4 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

The big issue I find with retaining Grigson is this; he has a track record of exceedingly poor decision making as GM over the past 5 years. Waiting an extra year to fire him because you don't have a "splash" hire lined up is nonsense. His drafting, free agent signing and trades could potentially set the team back years. It is fine if every season existed in a vacuum, but his decisions now have implications reaching into the next 4 years or more.

Furthermore, the team has quite obviously regressed under his stewardship. Over the first 3 years there was the illusion of improvement. In my opinion, much of this was down to the progression of Luck and Hilton, along with strong performances from the likes of Davis and an aging Robert Mathis.

Not only does his talent evaluation leave a lot to be desired, but I also feel like the manner in which he has adressed the needs of this team are lackluster. Honestly, I feel that TY and Davis are the only proven quality moves he has made as GM. Luck was always Irsay's choice. Can we gamble with the future of this team for another year?

He's has plenty of time to show his stuff. His drafts overall have been poor , three useless first round picks including Richardson deal. Drafting Luck was already a given before he got here. His free agent pickups have been fair to bad .  Time to move on while Luck is still in his prime and before he's totally ruined by injuries. 

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Same reason you don't lend family money. It looks great at the time, but you don't know the future. 3 years down the road we could be looking at the worst team to ever grace the NFL with its presence, and you've got this guy who now has an ownership stake trashing your team. It complicates things, and a fallout between them isn't unlikely (Polian wasn't happy with getting canned). It's better not to put yourself in that position in the first place. 

22 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

He's has plenty of time to show his stuff. His drafts overall have been poor , three useless first round picks including Richardson deal. Drafting Luck was already a given before he got here. His free agent pickups have been fair to bad .  Time to move on while Luck is still in his prime and before he's totally ruined by injuries. 

Was this like a TL;DR version of what I wrote?haha

49 minutes ago, Coltsfan1284 said:

I hope this is not true if Irsay really lost out on Gruden due to Grigson being retained maybe the best interest of the Colts aren't being considered.  I understand the owner stake with Manning and can see why that would be an issue.

As much as Manning did for this team give him what he wants this isn't even a question if I'm in Irsays position.

How can we go into the season with grigano now? If they suck again, they will point to these past two offseasons as another excuse. Fire them now, because they likely mentally checked out with irsays silence and *supposed* attempted moves. Plus the best coordinators and execs are still in the playoffs. Other teams signed the weaker candidates, there is still time to make quality changes * even while missing out on sonofbum*

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I call bullshhhhhh

With how this has played out, I tend to believe it.  According to JMV and reports, he courted Manning for months - in the end, no deal.  Gruden, for 5 years, stated his dream would be to coach Luck.  Irsay, for 2.5 weeks, if we believe JMV, courted Gruden.  No deal.  You hope it's not true, but I'm guessing it is. 

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

With how this has played out, I tend to believe it.  According to JMV and reports, he courted Manning for months - in the end, no deal.  Gruden, for 5 years, stated his dream would be to coach Luck.  Irsay, for 2.5 weeks, if we believe JMV, courted Gruden.  No deal.  You hope it's not true, but I'm guessing it is. 

I mean it breaking down due to Grigson.  You don't go after guys like gruden and manning with the expectation that a guy like Grigson is safe.  If he did, then he's a fool.

Just now, BOTT said:

I mean it breaking down due to Grigson.  You don't go after guys like gruden and manning with the expectation that guy like Grigson is safe.  If he did, then he's a fool.

Exactly. This sounds more like a convenient excuse after tweeting that the Colts were so close to bringing in Gruden IMO. If Irsay wanted Gruden that badly, it makes zero sense that he would be unwilling to part with Grigson after showing he's willing to do just that. 

13 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Same reason you don't lend family money. It looks great at the time, but you don't know the future. 3 years down the road we could be looking at the worst team to ever grace the NFL with its presence, and you've got this guy who now has an ownership stake trashing your team. It complicates things, and a fallout between them isn't unlikely (Polian wasn't happy with getting canned). It's better not to put yourself in that position in the first place. 

Not the same thing at all.  Manning could potentially bring more value than the % of ownership you gave up is worth. Companies sell equity all the time for various reasons: assets, cash, etc... It's reasonable to assume that the NFL will not always be as popular as it currently is... In addition to what other things Manning would bring to the franchise the cash Manning pays for his stake could be invested by Irsay in other places. 

Last I seen Zuckerberg only owns a little over 25% of Facebook... He seems to be doing OK, and maintains control.