Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Not surprising with the way Irsay handled this. To interview a potential candidate, you must have a vacancy. Instead, Irsay decided to keep everyone employed and in limbo which is ridiculous. 

What a vote of confidence!

Until one of these 2 actually said they had a discussion about taking the job as the Colts head coaching spot, it's all speculation at this point. I am one who thinks Gruden is too far removed from the head coaching spot in todays league and did not want to see him hired here. I would rather see another name that either has just gotten his papers or a current OC with skill sets of a head coach, perhaps a former HC in the past turned back into a OC. I would like to see Pagano gone but not to just replace him with anyone.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Not surprising with the way Irsay handled this. To interview a potential candidate, you must have a vacancy. Instead, Irsay decided to keep everyone employed and in limbo which is ridiculous. 

Uh, no you don't, it is called exploration of options. I would have no doubt that if the 2 could have struck parameters of a deal, Jimmy would have created the opening and then announced a new hiring hours after. I would almost bet 99% of the time, teams term their current HC with someone in mind that they had explored interest and parameters with at least an agent if not the actual candidate. There is no illegal action to discuss getting a new guy even if you have a guy in place already.

This is very similar to the Miami situation years ago where they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still HC. Didn't end well for them... Hopefully it just lights a fire under Pags, the team rallies around him, and we stomp some faces next season.

6 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Surely Irsay wouldn't keep these two goons in place and cause even more havoc next season. No way he does that. 

I know it's unpopular to say anything bad about Irsay, but I already don't think he handled this whole situation well. I'm not putting it past him to keep Chuck and think everything's all good, that he can just talk away the rumors.

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

This is very similar to the Miami situation years ago where they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still HC. Didn't end well for them... Hopefully it just lights a fire under Pags, the team rallies around him, and we stomp some faces next season.

If I was Pagano, I would resign yesterday! Embarrassing!

This whole thing has been poorly handled by Irsay, imo. I actually feel bad for Pagano. Despite what anyone thinks of Pagano's coaching ability how can he be expected to do a good job next season? I don't care how much you are getting paid or how good you are at your job...it's difficult to do your job well when the owner doesn't have confidence in you.

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

So you think the team will fully respect a man that the owner doesn't see fit to do his job? 

Pagano's authority was just shoot to hell by Irsay, if true.

Just think of the guys that will not be starters. Knives out situation.

2 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Despite what anyone thinks of Pagano's coaching ability how can he be expected to do a good job next season? 

So, we might win 6 games instead of 8?

Chuck is holding a, what, 12 million dollar winning lottery ticket?  He and his family are set for life.  Regardless of what happens, I wouldn't feel too bad for Chuck.

Pagano isn't coaching this team next year unlees he'sa lunatic. He just essentially found  out his wife was trying to leave him for another man, the other man said no but, he knows she's no longer fsithful and "until death do us part" was a flaming bag of dog poop. 

1 minute ago, corgi said:

Pagano isn't coaching this team next year unlees he'sa lunatic. He just essentially found  out his wife was trying to leave him for another man, the other man said no but, he knows she's no longer fsithful and "until death do us part" was a flaming bag of dog poop. 

Money. Lots of money.

Pagano will either wait to be fired or coach out his contract.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Guaranteed the Peyton stories were true, and he said no as well.

This I can believe as well although I'm surprised nobody asked Manning earlier this week when he was at the National Championship game.