Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Brandon Williams vs. Dontari Poe Debate

Which player should we target in FA?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. (Read first before picking, please!!)

• Dontari Poe (Pass Rush)
    • Brandon Williams (Run Stuff)

Most of you are astounded by the title. At least 90% of you are saying, "Why is this even a debate?" I just blew half of your minds by saying exactly what you were thinking. Yet this "competition" is closer than you might think. Dontari Poe gets all of the attention because of his plays on offense this year. Headlines don't mean everything, though. I've read recently that Williams is "the best nose tackle nobody talks about". Let's take a glance at the surprising similarities between the two. Poe is 6-3, 346 lbs, and 26 years old. Williams is 6-1, 340 lbs, and 27 years old. They are very similar on the field as well. The difference: Poe is better rushing the passer while Williams specializes against the run. We were just as bad against the run as we were getting to the quarterback last season, so both players make sense. My question is, if the opportunity arises, would you take the run stuffer and grab pass rush in the draft, or the pass rusher with a run stuffer in the draft? Poe vs Williams, who do you take?

I think it would come down to how much each would cost. If it's close, I go Poe, if the difference is 3+ million a year, you go Williams. My rationale is if you get the run stuffer much cheaper than Poe, you are going to have to get another ER in addition to the other ER We currently need. With Poe, he can generate some pass rush himself. I'm not sure which one will mesh best in our system so we have to hope the team chooses best if they go this route.  

I think a lot of the Colts struggles in the run defense was in the Line backer play. I for one do think the D line under performed this past season (I thought they would be a strength), but a lot of the reason for that is injuries. 

If I had to choose, I'd take Poe, but as it's said, he'll cost a lot more. Wouldn't be against Williams if the fit was right.