Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not taking a RB in the 1st round

Bowen: Dalvin Cook is a tremendous talent. I think he has a chance to be special. But, like I say in every mailbag, a running back in Round One is not the route I would take. Defense. Defense. Defense. That's the path I would go down in the very early rounds. You can find a middle-round running back who can make an impact. Of the NFL's top 10 runners this past season, only 1 was a former first-round pick. You can wait on a running back.

If Fournett or Cook are there I would take them in a heartbeat, assuming we have them ranked as BPA in a position of need.  If they are not it shows you two teams with worse records and defenses than ours saw them as  a bigger value than any player on the board when they picked.  Their GM's know a lot more about football than fans on a message board.  Bowen is nothing more than a fan with an opinion.  He works for the Colts and he's a writer.  Nothing more nothing less.  

a good balanced offense where a rb AND a QB have to be accounted for can  be a team's defensive best friend too.

if you have the opportunity to take a potentially special player, you take them....situations for each team are different as in the Colts don't need a special qb, they already have one(since I know that argument will be brought up)

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

All those RBs prove is why you should draft RBs higher. Whenever a Leveon Bell, David Johnson, or Jordan Howard could comes along, it actually makes people take RBs higher because people don't want to miss on those guys.

Man there is always guys like that in later rounds.. this is a deep RB class.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

All those RBs prove is why you should draft RBs higher. Whenever a Leveon Bell, David Johnson, or Jordan Howard could comes along, it actually makes people take RBs higher because people don't want to miss on those guys.

The thing people make mistake about when putting forward this argument is misevaluating the chance of getting a good RB in the later rounds. Yes, you can get a good RB in the 4th or 5th... how many picks do you have to spend before you hit on one though? That's the real question. If you throw away 7-8 picks in the 4th-7th range before you hit your Jordan Howard, is this really a successful strategy? I wish there was some research into pick value by pick number and by position. Do you guys know of a resource that has this kind of info?

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Fournett or Cook are there I would take them in a heartbeat, assuming we have them ranked as BPA in a position of need.  If they are not it shows you two teams with worse records and defenses than ours saw them as  a bigger value than any player on the board when they picked.  Their GM's know a lot more about football than fans on a message board.  Bowen is nothing more than a fan with an opinion.  He works for the Colts and he's a writer.  Nothing more nothing less.  

It's not rocket science to watch a number of athletes, and choose which one you think will be better on a certain team. It's always someone's opinion. 

*not saying bowen or me know more than anyone else

5 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

It's not rocket science to watch a number of athletes, and choose which one you think will be better on a certain team. It's always someone's opinion. 

This is probably the dumbest thing I have read.  It actually is rather hard...hints why people disagree with Grigson as GM.  

LeVeon Bell, Jordan Howard, Jay Ajayi, Devonta Freeman, Eddie Lacy, Latavius Murray, Spencer Ware, Alfred Morris, Demarco Murray, Lesean McCoy. 

All successful RBs in recent years. All picked up after the first round.

Dalvin is great. And he will do well. But we have too many holes to make a luxury pick right now. In the 1st, he's a luxury pick. If you can afford to use a 1st round pick on an RB then great, you'll probably get a good one. But there are plenty around that will fall.

Still a lot of RBs around in the middle rounds. I'm not worried.

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And that's why none of those names went round 1, right? Because people want to take them higher so they don't miss? This post makes no sense whatsoever

1 minute ago, 12to13 said:

Yeah it's not rocket science to watch that video I posted up there, and pick one of those guys(or any other different rb) in the middle rounds and use your high picks on pressing needs(defense)

Ok I gotcha now.  My bad on the misunderstanding.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

teams do still take backs in the first round though

its happened each of the past two years, and there are even better backs in the draft this year

I'm not talking about the rest of the NFL or NFL in general, I'm only talking about the Colts in this year's draft. And yes it is a deep RB class, all the reason we should take one in later rounds. 

19 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Are you trying to say scouting is easy?

If you're right, Mike Mayock is waaaay overpaid lol

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

Are you trying to say scouting is easy?

If you're right, Mike Mayock is waaaay overpaid lol

No. I'm saying its easy to tell there are a lot of good RBs coming out in this year's draft, and the colts desperately need defense. So it should be easy to go defense in the early rounds and pick a halfback in middle to late rounds..

10 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

They have the best o-line, and starters on defense. Colts have neither of those. 

They have had the best OL for years now.  They still drafted at the top of the draft last year with it.  Eliiot took them over the top and he helped the defense too.  Dak and Romo are a wash.  A healthy Romo would have produced the same result IMO. 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think dallas is mad about their pick, do you?

Dallas has a ridiculously talented offensive line though. If we took Dalvin Cook (who apparently has a shoulder issue per Matt Miller) or Fournette (who has a recurring ankle issue) they would be running behind a young offensive line that is largely devoid of talent. 

1 minute ago, Manning1887 said:

Dallas has a ridiculously talented offensive line though. If we took Dalvin Cook (who apparently has a shoulder issue per Matt Miller) or Fournette (who has a recurring ankle issue) they would be running behind a young offensive line that is largely devoid of talent. 

if gore can get 1000, then a very good rookie could get a lot more

Just now, richard pallo said:

They have had the best OL for years now.  They still drafted at the top of the draft last year with it.  Eliiot took them over the top and he helped the defense too.  Dak and Romo are a wash.  A healthy Romo would have produced the same result IMO. 

They picked thay early because Romo got injured.

And besides that, like I said they had good starters on defense before they picked elliot. We don't.

14 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

And that's why none of those names went round 1, right? Because people want to take them higher so they don't miss? This post makes no sense whatsoever

I'm not saying that all RBs are going to go round 1. I'm saying that this trend of low round backs being successful will cause teams to stop waiting on guys. Howard is going to outplay some 2nd and 3rd round guys. I think teams are going to change how they evaluate RBs.

The "wait and see" approach is why teams missed on LeVeon Bell, Johnson, Howard, and Freeman. That's not to say that all of those guys should have been first round picks but they were devalued based on the position they played. Based on his production in college, Howard should have been at least a 2nd round pick. Bell was a better player than a lot of the guys who went at the bottom of the 1st round of 2013 like Werner, Elam, Datone Jones,etc...

Plus then you have guys like Elliot, Gurley, and Gordon who a lot of teams would kill to have.

1 minute ago, Manning1887 said:

Just for a little thought.  PFF ranked just ranked our OL 25th this year.  Number one line this year Tennesse. No2. Dallas.  Last year the Titans ranked 25th at the end of the year.  Improvements can happen.  We did add a lot of young players to the line.  I see our line trending up and we could still add a meaningful player through FA or draft. 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not saying that all RBs are going to go round 1. I'm saying that this trend of low round backs being successful will cause teams to stop waiting on guys. Howard is going to outplay some 2nd and 3rd round guys. I think teams are going to change how they evaluate RBs.

The "wait and see" approach is why teams missed on LeVeon Bell, Johnson, Howard, and Freeman. That's not to say that all of those guys should have been first round picks but they were devalued based on the position they played. Based on his production in college, Howard should have been at least a 2nd round pick. Bell was a better player than a lot of the guys who went at the bottom of the 1st round of 2013 like Werner, Elam, Datone Jones,etc...

Plus then you have guys like Elliot, Gurley, and Gordon who a lot of teams would kill to have.

This seems irrelevant to my thread. Or atleast the point I was trying to make. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just for a little thought.  PFF ranked just ranked our OL 25th this year.  Number one line this year Tennesse. No2. Dallas.  Last year the Titans ranked 25th at the end of the year.  Improvements can happen.  We did add a lot of young players to the line.  I see our line trending up and we could still add a meaningful player through FA or draft. 

I'm not ignoring needs on defense again just because the Tennessee Titans line got exceptionally better in a year.

Hey if you know me then you know I'm not really a Grigson basher,  but I will bash him in the area of Running Backs.   I don't trust Grigs to pick up a decent RB in the later rounds to be honest!  Not after he considered using a 4th round draft pick on Josh Ferguson.  The draft previous to that you spend a 5th or 6th rounder on Josh Robinson thinking he's an every down back.  We've had a slew of UDFA who have proven unworthy.  Best he's done in this arena was Vick Ballard and that was like 5 years ago.  IF he picks a runner we might want to go a little higher this time.   LOL!

Just now, krunk said:

Hey if you know me then you know I'm not really a Grigson basher,  but I will bash him in the area of Running Backs.   I don't trust Grigs to pick up a decent RB in the later rounds to be honest!  Not after he considered using a 4th round draft pick on Josh Ferguson.  The draft previous to that you spend a 5th or 6th rounder on Josh Robinson thinking he's an every down back.  We've had a slew of UDFA who have proven unworthy.  Best he's done in this arena was Vick Ballard and that was like 5 years ago.  IF he picks a runner we might want to go a little higher this time.   LOL!

All I hear from the people still supporting Grigson is "He's improved!! He's better now!" Okay then he can find a decent halfback in later rounds.

Just now, 12to13 said:

All I hear from the people still supporting Grigson is "He's improved!! He's better now!" Okay then he can find a decent halfback in later rounds.

He's has NOT improved there.  And guess what I'm a Grigson supporter in different spots.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's has NOT improved there.

Okay well that's terrible if true? I'm just going to pray he's gotten better if he's gonna be here another year.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

no need to go on endlessly about this.  i know its a forum and thats kind of the point, but its pretty clear no one changes their mind based on whats said here

its in the teams hands now

I'm just trying to shed some light on these people. (And I'm secretly hoping griggles reads it to so he can get educated:)

I think we are all seasoned enough football fans to see your angle.  Problem is there is more than one angle.  None of them will be right to all who weigh in on the subject.   We all have our own approach to this deal.  None of us have any weight with the organization to begin with so.........We just doing what fans do. Talk