Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers apparently moving to LA

backshoulderfade

On January 11, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Empty describes how I feel. I don't even live in San Diego anymore. 

My condolences GAFT. I liked the Chargers in San Diego. I know Dan Fouts is sick over this move. In the past, he expressed genuine sadness over the prospect of the team re-locating over the air on CBS covering games. 

Major bummer. 

13 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I was just thinking the two teams Johnny Unitas played for both moved to different cities. He always looked out of place in that powder blue uniform ! 

That was the new owner Klein trying to sell tickets. I think they brought Mackey over too .

It's never fun seeing a city lose their team. I feel for real San Diego fans. But their stadium was awful, and everyone knew there was a need for a new one. They've tried multiple ways to get a new stadium built, and short of paying for it themselves, it just wasn't going to happen; the most recent ballot measure made that obvious.

From a business standpoint, being in LA presumably increases the value of the franchise, and they believe that whatever investments they're committing to will pay off over time. We'll see how that shakes out, but there's no doubt that the Chargers and the rest of the league put a lot of time and attention into determining whether the LA market could support the addition of two NFL teams before they voted on this last January.

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

And he's still complaining about it from the grave

Its just hard on these guys when franchises move because their legacy was in that city. Same reason Fouts is upset. Johnny never hated Indy, he just played in Baltimore. He didn't like the elder Irsay, but maybe as time passed he may have softened a bit. I guess we will never know. 

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

And he's still complaining about it from the grave

Tom Matte was the most vocal. The hypocrisy was hilarious considering I think he became a color guy with the Ravens , who were also wooed out of town  by Baltimore . I don't have anything against the Ravens at all but find it silly they have statues, displays, number honors of former Colts players. Honoring another franchises history . I can see it a little because those players were Baltimore Colts but not to that extent. 

Sadly sports owners care only about the money. I totally get it, but fans get shafted when they become part of the team as a fan.

Although they moved, it's still in the same state a few hours away I guess if you still wanted to follow them. I get LA isn't SD, but for the fans who won't be able to let go it's still doable to be a fan of the Chargers. Just don't say the city name..

Many older Colts fans have been through this. I'd root for them as the Guam Colts.

44 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Tom Matte was the most vocal. The hypocrisy was hilarious considering I think he became a color guy with the Ravens , who were also wooed out of town  by Baltimore . I don't have anything against the Ravens at all but find it silly they have statues, displays, number honors of former Colts players. Honoring another franchises history . I can see it a little because those players were Baltimore Colts but not to that extent. 

Tom was pretty vocal , but as I told you guys, most of the old stuff has pretty much died down since the Ravens second Super Bowl. It rarely comes up anymore. 

As far as the statues and Ring of Honor etc., that was pretty much the settlement between the Irsay family and the city of Baltimore which included the Super Bowl 5 trophy, after the move. 

I used to be more vocal about this stuff, but what the heck, if you like the old Baltimore Colts whether you live in Baltimore or Indy, it's a fun history to read about. Basically from a Baltimore perspective , it's celebrating the history and players from the first franchise we had in Baltimore. The Colts history is not part of the Ravens, but it is part of Baltimore's sports history, hence the statues and Ring of Honor . 

I think it's hard for players who play in a city when the franchise moves elsewhere. If you noticed , Eric Dickerson was happy the Rams moved back to LA because he was a LA Ram. Dan Fouts in upset because he was never a LA Charger. Tom and Johnny felt the same way because they played in Baltimore, not that they had anything against Indy. It is true both disliked the elder Irsay, but I don't think that transferred to Jimmy. 

19 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

....so if San Diego agrees to bud a stadium in 2018..

,,and the Chargers are still in the soccer stadium.

..can they move back to San Diego?

I'll admit, I am kind of intrigued at the idea of attending an NFL game in a 30,000-seat stadium.  Kind of one of those once-in-a-lifetime type of experiences.  Not sure if I am intrigued enough to make a trip to L.A., though.  Do the Colts play the Chargers next season?

I think the first couple years could be kind of cool.  We haven't had an NFL team in a small stadium in a loooooooong time, so to have that again could be kind of neat.  Once they move into the new stadium and start sharing it with the Rams, though, interest could wane pretty quickly.