Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If I were to build a team from a scratch...

I always had this thought of being a GM of bad teams like Raiders (back in the days), Dolphins, Rams, Browns... and build a team to become a contender.

I would like to know what you guys think. =)

If I was given 3 yrs to build a franchise from the scratch, I would start by drafting heavy on O-line and D-line in the first year of the draft.

I think O-line, especially, needs at least 3 to 4 years to gel together as a group.

In my second year, I would draft DB, LB, RB, WR in this order. I'm going to draft skill positions in the 2nd year, these positions typically need 2~3 years to develop.

Then in my 3rd year, I would draft a QB, RB, WR/TE, and more depth in OL and DL.

I'm not going to draft a QB until my 3rd year because (1) I'm going to put my QB in a position where he can succeed, which is why I'm drafting O-line in the first year so that they can improve by the time I draft a QB in the 3rd year, and (2) I want to have top picks in the next 2 years in the draft. If I get top picks, then I can trade down and get more picks, just more options for me to choose. 

I always thought why GMs draft QB in their first year. If there are QBs like Andrew Lucks or Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys or Aaron Rodgers available in the draft, then sure, you draft those players. Otherwise, you are only going to fail. This is why I want to build my lines first. Whoever the QB might be, I want to give the guy the best chance to succeed. I have seen so many GMs/Teams fail because they want to show improvements from day 1. 

What do you guys think of this draft strategy of drafting QB last?

The strategy is smart if you have a long leash from the owner,  but two full seasons (and presumably more before your regime)  with a terrible QB wont put people in the seats. 

In a perfect world its a good strategy,  but chances are in reality the fans get angry after two drafts and start calling for your head. Unless you are making a deep playoff run without a qb in year two you won't make it to your 3rd draft, or if you do, your coach won't and half the players you drafted before don't fit what your new coach wants, putting your strategy back to where it was had you just drafted the QB year 2 and kept your staff for year 3. 

Just my opinion. 

19 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

The strategy is smart if you have a long leash from the owner,  but two full seasons (and presumably more before your regime)  with a terrible QB wont put people in the seats. 

In a perfect world its a good strategy,  but chances are in reality the fans get angry after two drafts and start calling for your head. Unless you are making a deep playoff run without a qb in year two you won't make it to your 3rd draft, or if you do, your coach won't and half the players you drafted before don't fit what your new coach wants, putting your strategy back to where it was had you just drafted the QB year 2 and kept your staff for year 3. 

Just my opinion. 

I think you're right. They do not give such time if they think you're failing at your job.

Good in theory.  Real world would say otherwise.

How I see it:

Your first draft you must get a franchise player.  My preferred order would be 1. QB, 2. ILB, 3. OLB, 4. RB, 5. Safety, 6. NT, 7. WR

If you don't land a franchise player in your first draft then you are most likely at a ~35% increase of losing your job before the 3 year deadline.  If you can get a couple of blue chip players in said first draft that is just icing on top but no matter what you must land a player you can build around. 

Year 2 then becomes easier because you can use free agency to address pieces that compliment your franchise players and use the draft to supplement whatever is left. So for example.  Say you take a QB with the number one pick and he seems like the real deal.  First thing you should do is look to FA to get him a line or weapon.  If you can't get either then the draft would have those 2 spots in priority.

As far as the draft is concerned the goal should be to have at least one blue chip player (drafted or non drafted) in most levels of your team once your QB has been given the pieces he needs.  If you can get 2 or 3 blue chip players from your first 2 drafts plus a franchise player then your chances of staying past your first 3 years is astronomically higher.

From here on out it is rinse and repeat.  But to put it in short its fine to have a plan but the real world doesn't work that way.  Not every draft will have a franchise QB and not every draft will have a franchise linebacker. So saying you want this position here and this position there is an illogical way to approach the draft.