Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver Broncos to hire Vance Joseph as their HC

MTC

4 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't know much about him.  Must be kind of a shot in the dark for the Broncos but Elway usually knows what he's doing. 

I don't know much about him either....I'm guessing Elway wanted someone for a long haul

He's been a defensive backs coach in the past and he worked for Wade Phillips, which leads me to believe the will keep Wade as the defensive coordinator.

But even if they don't, Josephprobably wants an attacking style similar to Phillips

This would seem of signal a clear break from Gary Kubiak's offense....which is something they needed.

Denver didntneed help defensively...but they need a whole new plan on offense

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't know much about him either....I'm guessing Elway wanted someone for a long haul

He's been a defensive backs coach in the past and he worked for Wade Phillips, which leads me to believe the will keep Wade as the defensive coordinator.

But even if they don't, Josephprobably wants an attacking style similar to Phillips

This would seem of signal a clear break from Gary Kubiak's offense....which is something they needed.

Denver didntneed help defensively...but they need a whole new plan on offense

How does this hire signal a change in offense?

Just now, BOTT said:

How does this hire signal a change in offense?

Kyle Shanahan learned under his dad...the same guy Kubiak learned under.

I know Atlanta didn't look like the Broncos this year but I'm reading that blocking schemes are the same and the Kyle just updated the 'Kubiak'  offense and made it fit Matt Ryan..

....Van Joseph isn't an offensive guy so he'll bring in an offensive coordinator..apparently Mike McCoy or the OC from Oakland..

I think we can tell what Vance Joseph will do defensivley

but there's going to be new leadership on offense

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Kyle Shanahan learned under his dad...the same guy Kubiak learned under.

I know Atlanta didn't look like the Broncos this year but I'm reading that blocking schemes are the same and the Kyle just updated the 'Kubiak'  offense and made it fit Matt Ryan..

....Van Joseph isn't an offensive guy so he'll bring in an offensive coordinator..apparently Mike McCoy or the OC from Oakland..

I think we can tell what Vance Joseph will do defensivley

but there's going to be new leadership on offense

Yes, and Rick Dennison learned under both mike Shannahan and Kubiak.  But if Joseph is interviewing McCoy, yes, that would be a switch.

some of the problem with Paxton Lynch is the offense Kubiak wanted to put him in..

......with a new coordinator.....Lynch gets a second chance

To me, the Broncos don't have the powerful run blockers or the backs and TEs for the offense they were trying to run..

They need to add a good slot receiver and go back to what Adam Gase was doing..

....Oakland and KC went by them this season

19 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yes, and Rick Dennison learned under both mike Shannahan and Kubiak.  But if Joseph is interviewing McCoy, yes, that would be a switch.

If it is McCoy, it could mean more power running, which would mean a few pieces of their OL could be gone and several new ones added in free agency, IMO.

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

some of the problem with Paxton Lynch is the offense Kubiak wanted to put him in..

......with a new coordinator.....Lynch gets a second chance

To me, the Broncos don't have the powerful run blockers or the backs and TEs for the offense they were trying to run..

They need to add a good slot receiver and go back to what Adam Gase was doing..

....Oakland and KC went by them this season

I am not so sure Siemian does not get a second chance. He has a higher floor right now and they may roll with one more year of Siemian as starter, IMO. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am not so sure Siemian does not get a second chance. He has a higher floor right now and they may roll with one more year of Siemian as starter, IMO. 

Simien's the starter now. He doesn't need a second chance. I thought he did well with no solid line,

I don't think Denver's trading for Tony Romo..they have cap issues if they do.

What I meant is: Some talk in Denver is that Lynch could not ever run Kubiak's offense which meant he was eventually to be done in Denver..

Now, Kubiak and his offense is out......and Lynch might get a shot at the spread offense he came up in.

Denver Post is reprting that Denver defensive back coach Joe Woods will, be promoted and will be the new defensive co-ordinator under new coach Vance Joseph.....

Mike McCoy, the ex San Diego Charger coach (and former Bronco OC) will return to be the offensive coordinator.

Woods is unlikely to change Denver's defense since he was part of it

I hope McCoy brings in the spread attack San Diego ran..

..but where will Wade Phillips be coaching next year?  I have a thought

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Denver Post is reprting that Denver defensive back coach Joe Woods will, be promoted and will be the new defensive co-ordinator under new coach Vance Joseph.....

Mike McCoy, the ex San Diego Charger coach (and former Bronco OC) will return to be the offensive coordinator.

Why not bring wade back?  Head scratcher

47 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

LA Rams are looking to get Wade Philips there.

24 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I'm never sure of how well an OC or DC will translate to in terms of a HC. All I know is Vance Joseph was the DC for the Dolphins and his defense was 29th in the league. And yeah not bringing back Wade Phillips is a little puzzling to say the least

Can you believe Elway didn't give him a pay raise or contract extension after SB 50 and let his contract run out after this year?

Once Kubiak was leaving, I do think Elway did not want to handcuff VJ to Wade Philips and wanted VJ to make the choice. I do think that is the right way to approach it but he could have extended Wade way before all the Kubiak retirement unfolded, IMO.

24 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I'm never sure of how well an OC or DC will translate to in terms of a HC. All I know is Vance Joseph was the DC for the Dolphins and his defense was 29th in the league. And yeah not bringing back Wade Phillips is a little puzzling to say the least

Cant believe it was money....age???  His health?

..... the new DC is the old DB coach....and Van Joseph coached under Phillips

....but Wade Phillips had those Bronco boys at the top of the league..

the new guy wont do better than Wade..he can only do as well

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

why do you think Mike McCoy wants a power run game?

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/5/26/4350464/film-study-mike-mccoy-and-the-san-diego-chargers-offense

He did a lot of power running when he was last with the Broncos, that is what I am basing it on. However, now that they have different personnel, he might use a mixture.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/5/26/4350464/film-study-mike-mccoy-and-the-san-diego-chargers-offense

He did a lot of power running when he was last with the Broncos, that is what I am basing it on. However, now that they have different personnel, he might use a mixture.

There's a lot there.....to suggest a run game..

...I didn't get the thought he did that with San Diego but he wont have Phillip Rivers in Denver

....you may be right.

Broncos need an overhaul on offense.

Other than Emmanuel Sanders and Demiariuys Thomas....I'm  not certain what they have

Are Mike McCoy and Tony Romo a good match?

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Denver fans are bashing this move on other sites to no end. If Irsay does get rid of Chuck, hopefully it's for a past successful HeadCoach.

If organizations relied only on past success to decide on coaching hires, the Patriots would never have hired Belichick and the Ravens would not have hired Harbaugh. Fans have to trust the decision makers. 

Just now, oldunclemark said:

There's a lot there.....to suggest a run game..

...I didn't get the thought he did that with San Diego but he wont have Phillip Rivers in Denver

....you may be right.

Broncos need an overhaul on offense.

Other than Emmanuel Sanders and Demiariuys Thomas....I'm  not certain what they have

Are Mike McCoy and Tony Romo a good match?

I think so because of Romo's quick release and accuracy. McCoy will test all levels of depth on the field but most of the time, a lot of motion to get his wide outs free. Romo will help mitigate their OL issues by getting rid of the ball quick, something Siemian could not master though Siemian will have more strength from another offseason. Romo can only be a 1 or 2 year rental at this point but if that is all they want, they should go for it.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If organizations relied only on past success to decide on coaching hires, the Patriots would never have hired Belichick and the Ravens would not have hired Harbaugh. Fans have to trust the decision makers. 

Exactly!!! Same thing with Tomlin too. Don't base someone's HC ability based on his OC or DC ability. The ability to relate to grown men and get them to get on board is the #1 quality needed in a head coach. The game planning comes next by hiring the right guys for the job.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't really disagree with your Post and I don't think Denver hiring Joseph is necessarily a bad thing. I am looking at it from a Colts standpoint as in, why fire Chuck who hasn't had a losing season for someone unproven. Could it work, of course it could but I still would rather have a proven Head Coach if I am firing Chuck.

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think so because of Romo's quick release and accuracy. McCoy will test all levels of depth on the field but most of the time, a lot of motion to get his wide outs free. Romo will help mitigate their OL issues by getting rid of the ball quick, something Siemian could not master though Siemian will have more strength from another offseason. Romo can only be a 1 or 2 year rental at this point but if that is all they want, they should go for it.

There's a money issue.....because they have a lot of money locked up on defense and at wide receiver.

Denver's No.1 draft choice isn't that great a trade piece because they were 9-7.

I dont know how they get Tony R.

but I don't think it would kill Siemian or Lynch to sit behind Romo a year or two. (Siemian would be a quality backup)

..and, as I know you know, that's is the kind of win-now move Elway would make

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't really disagree with your Post and I don't think Denver hiring Joseph is necessarily a bad thing. I am looking at it from a Colts standpoint as in, why fire Chuck who hasn't had a losing season for someone unproven. Could it work, of course it could but I still would rather have a proven Head Coach if I am firing Chuck.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I think Irsay should give Pagano another year. The Colts should win double-digit games next year if they improve the defense. 

Would you like Gruden? I am not a big fan of his. If Why not Brian Billick?  I think Wade Phillips would be a good hire as D-Coor. 

Edit: Never mind regarding Phillips. I just read that he was hired by Washington.

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, I see what you're saying. I think Irsay should give Pagano another year. The Colts should win double-digit games next year if they improve the defense. 

Would you like Gruden? I am not a big fan of his. If Why not Brian Billick?  I think Wade Phillips would be a good hire as D-Coor. 

Edit: Never mind regarding Phillips. I just read that he was hired by Washington.

I would like Gruden, I think it would be an upgrade from Chuck. I would like Billick as well but Billick is never mentioned anywhere in the media. Does he even want to Coach again?