BProland85

Role for Peyton Manning

104 posts in this topic

If Jimmy Raye is hired elsewhere, and he's being interviewed by at least 1 other team, Irsay will need a replacement. Rather then putting Peyton right in as GM, I think he would fit great as the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and after a year or 2 he'd then take over as GM.

 

Personally, I think Manning would be the home run hire over Gruden at this point, since I believe Peyton knows football just about as well as anybody out there, and would bring in quality personel both in the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Here's to hoping it still happens and Irsay is still in talks with him.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JasonABrown said:

Do we know for sure if he was ever actually in talks with Manning?

 

It was reported by someone I consider to be a questionable source, but I'm accepting it as true at this point. I actually think it was reported by more than one person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Jimmy Raye is hired elsewhere, and he's being interviewed by at least 1 other team, Irsay will need a replacement. Rather then putting Peyton right in as GM, I think he would fit great as the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and after a year or 2 he'd then take over as GM.

 

Personally, I think Manning would be the home run hire over Gruden at this point, since I believe Peyton knows football just about as well as anybody out there, and would bring in quality personel both in the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Here's to hoping it still happens and Irsay is still in talks with him.

 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love peyton as much as anyone.  But anyone who is a coach in the NFL knows football very well.   They don't get these jobs by accident.   I think he would be great at what ever he decides,  I just have a hard time believing he would take any job that would take up a large amount of his time.   Why would he?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Jimmy Raye is hired elsewhere, and he's being interviewed by at least 1 other team, Irsay will need a replacement. Rather then putting Peyton right in as GM, I think he would fit great as the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and after a year or 2 he'd then take over as GM.

 

Personally, I think Manning would be the home run hire over Gruden at this point, since I believe Peyton knows football just about as well as anybody out there, and would bring in quality personel both in the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Here's to hoping it still happens and Irsay is still in talks with him.

1. What happens if Grigson strikes gold, on his own merits, would he then get fired?

2. Would he even have a chance to strike gold, with Peyton looming in the background.....

 

Sounds like a lose lose to me.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why not only people assume he would be good at the job but would want it. His kids are small they only grow up once and being a GM would take up most of his time that commercials don't. 

 

It would be one thing if his kids were grown but they're small plus I think he has higher aspirations than being a GM somewhere think ownership. He could get that elsewhere.

 

Plus if he were to come here and it was a disaster it would be hard to fire him(see Bird/Pacers)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Grigson be okay with this? He would feel like he's grooming his eventual replacement.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'd be in a position where he could add his thoughts but not make any decisions until he learns what it takes to be in the front office.

 

Maybe a consultant at this time.  

 

A chance to get his feet wet in management.  He might not even like it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colt's need of Peyton Manning would be OC, and I don't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would make a lot of sense for Peyton. It seems a lot of that hinges on Raye leaving though. I'd be curious to see what happens. What would that mean for Grigson though? You have to believe that'd create some tension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That would make a lot of sense for Peyton. It seems a lot of that hinges on Raye leaving though. I'd be curious to see what happens. What would that mean for Grigson though? You have to believe that'd create some tension.

Did it cause tension having Raye here?? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did it cause tension having Raye here?? 

You know what I mean. Raye and Grigson came in together. That's different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Defjamz26 said:

You know what I mean. Raye and Grigson came in together. That's different.

 

Raye came in a year after Grigson.

 

Before that, it was Telesco, who was also a finalist before Grigson was hired. 

 

I agree that having Manning in that position could cause some tension. Tough. Grigson doesn't need to be comfortable.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Raye came in a year after Grigson.

 

Before that, it was Telesco, who was also a finalist before Grigson was hired. 

 

I agree that having Manning in that position could cause some tension. Tough. Grigson doesn't need to be comfortable.

He has had five years of comfort.  I don't want he or Pagano to be comfortable

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't make sense and it won't happen.  Raye is experienced.  He was brought in to help Grigson.  How is Grigson, who is a novice, going to mentor Peyton?  Raye was never going to be GM here, but Peyton would be guaranteed the job.  Even if Grigson were experienced, it doesn't make sense.  If Polian were here and was mentoring him to take over, that would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It doesn't make sense and it won't happen.  Raye is experienced.  He was brought in to help Grigson.  How is Grigson, who is a novice, going to mentor Peyton?  Raye was never going to be GM here, but Peyton would be guaranteed the job.  Even if Grigson were experienced, it doesn't make sense.  If Polian were here and was mentoring him to take over, that would make sense.

He's not going to mentor Peyton. He's going to keep the seat warm for him. In all seriousness though, the Colts could bring Polian back as VP and then promote Peyton to GM. That way Peyton has him there to oversee things and help ease him into the role.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It doesn't make sense and it won't happen.  Raye is experienced.  He was brought in to help Grigson.  How is Grigson, who is a novice, going to mentor Peyton?  Raye was never going to be GM here, but Peyton would be guaranteed the job.  Even if Grigson were experienced, it doesn't make sense.  If Polian were here and was mentoring him to take over, that would make sense.

You can bet polian would be an asset to peyton if he were to take that job

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHY IN THE # WOULD PEYTON MANNING SERVE AS QB COACH OR OC?  

 

THIS IS STUPID.    HE IS BIGGER THAN THAT!!!   

 

Maybe be he should start as trainer?

 

 

THERE ARE SOME VERY STUPID POSTers ON THIS BOARD!!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

WHY IN THE # WOULD PEYTON MANNING SERVE AS QB COACH OR OC?  

 

THIS IS STUPID.    HE IS BIGGER THAN THAT!!!   

 

Maybe be he should start as trainer?

 

 

THERE ARE SOME VERY STUPID POSTers ON THIS BOARD!!!!

You're right. He should be the commissioner of the NFL.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought you were gonna say at the East entrance ticket counter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope whatever Peyton does is strictly his choice. Don't hop back into football until you're ready. Enjoy the time with your family.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CF4L said:

I don't get why not only people assume he would be good at the job but would want it. His kids are small they only grow up once and being a GM would take up most of his time that commercials don't. 

 

It would be one thing if his kids were grown but they're small plus I think he has higher aspirations than being a GM somewhere think ownership. He could get that elsewhere.

 

Plus if he were to come here and it was a disaster it would be hard to fire him(see Bird/Pacers)

 

Sorry to go off topic but how do you reckon Bird deserves to get fired.  Since his return the Pacers have been contenders and now they are in the midst of a mini-rebuild.  Personally I like the trio of PG/Myles/Teague moving forward, and trust Larry will be effective in adding the remaining elements to enhance their chances in the playoffs.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

 

Sorry to go off topic but how do you reckon Bird deserves to get fired.  Since his return the Pacers have been contenders and now they are in the midst of a mini-rebuild.  Personally I like the trio of PG/Myles/Teague moving forward, and trust Larry will be effective in adding the remaining elements to enhance their chances in the playoffs.

Bird has done a very good job especially considering we never have high picks and we are a small market that isn't attractive to free agents...Couldn't do much better than Bird really...We are on the rise again just need some rebounding..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

 

Sorry to go off topic but how do you reckon Bird deserves to get fired.  Since his return the Pacers have been contenders and now they are in the midst of a mini-rebuild.  Personally I like the trio of PG/Myles/Teague moving forward, and trust Larry will be effective in adding the remaining elements to enhance their chances in the playoffs.

 

They seem promising on paper but really this team will be mired in mediocrity some of it is because we don't have a LeBron level superstar the rest is coaching and yes this 5 game win streak is nice but this team isn't built to contend with the big boys. Nate McMillan was a totally uninspiring hire and he was probably hired because he won't get in Larry's way. Larry hasn't been a terrible GM but the Eastern Conference is like the AFC South not that good. 

The Pacers will appear decent enough but not going to win a title.

 

While I wanted Vogel to go how he handled it and well people in general is just terrible. I don't expect him to be nice or anything but at least treat others with some dignity he didn't give that to Frank.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, Superman said:

 

It was reported by someone I consider to be a questionable source, but I'm accepting it as true at this point. I actually think it was reported by more than one person. 

so no

 

we don't know if it is true

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, CF4L said:

I don't get why not only people assume he would be good at the job but would want it. His kids are small they only grow up once and being a GM would take up most of his time that commercials don't. 

 

It would be one thing if his kids were grown but they're small plus I think he has higher aspirations than being a GM somewhere think ownership. He could get that elsewhere.

 

Plus if he were to come here and it was a disaster it would be hard to fire him(see Bird/Pacers)

kids are annoying.  

 

you ever have any?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

WHY IN THE # WOULD PEYTON MANNING SERVE AS QB COACH OR OC?  

 

THIS IS STUPID.    HE IS BIGGER THAN THAT!!!   

 

Maybe be he should start as trainer?

 

 

THERE ARE SOME VERY STUPID POSTers ON THIS BOARD!!!!

 

I said the Colts would benefit the most from Peyton's services as OC. I did not say, as you infer, that Peyton would benefit most as OC.

 

Can you "maybe be" understand the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I just hope whatever Peyton does is strictly his choice. Don't hop back into football until you're ready. Enjoy the time with your family.

Guaranteed he won't do anything until he wants to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought he could go into what John Elway is doing in Denver. Or that he could be a broadcaster. Or a coach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

I always thought he could go into what John Elway is doing in Denver. Or that he could be a broadcaster. Or a coach!

so you basically figured he could do whatever he wanted post-playing-retirement, football wise?  way to go out on a limb lol

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Guaranteed he won't do anything until he wants to

I agree. It will be interesting to see what he does. I don't think Peyton can stay away from football for too long. In the next 2-3 years I bet he has an analyist gig or maybe a job with an NFL team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Peyton is GM material yet. You cant compare him to Elway. Elway owned an AFL team and has experience working Front Office jobs. Something like VP of Player Personnel or something to that degree would probably better for him at this point.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, Coltfreak said:

WHY IN THE # WOULD PEYTON MANNING SERVE AS QB COACH OR OC?  

 

THIS IS STUPID.    HE IS BIGGER THAN THAT!!!   

 

Maybe be he should start as trainer?

 

 

THERE ARE SOME VERY STUPID POSTers ON THIS BOARD!!!!

 

First off, relax. 

 

I understand wanting to put Peyton on a pedestal, but nobody knows how we do in either role.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its far fetched for Peyton to come to the Colts as GM....or anything else.

I don't even think he should do it...if he could.....

..but I keep checking the board to see if there's any updates or new thoughts on

the 'Peyton comes back!!!" rumors.

 

I guess that's what missing the playoffs 2 years in a row does to the mind.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot assume that Manning can just walk into the building and become the best GM around.  He has no experience and Polian is the only one who has hyped him up.  It takes more than just a persona to be great.  Could he take the road similar to Elway, of course, but even that does not mean he will be great.  I think he wants to be an owner of some sort more than GM.  If he ever did want to jump into coaching he would be great as an OC/QB coach.  But even t hat seems a little to far fetched.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 7:35 PM, dudeski said:

kids are annoying.  

 

you ever have any?  

 

 

No but Manning and wife chose to have them so I assume they aren't to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Maybe Manning replaces Gruden on MNF when his contract runs out.

Doubtful,  But he would be awesome at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 6:52 PM, JasonABrown said:

Do we know for sure if he was ever actually in talks with Manning?

 

No.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.