Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars to hire Doug Marrone as their HC, Tom Coughlin as the VP of Football Op.

MTC

47 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Seems like this gets said about the Jags every year lol. I guess it has to end up being true eventually.

You're correct, it does get said about them every year. They are the one Florida team I believe who get the most optimism and then fall flat on their faces. I'd still love to see them at least make a break eventually and some good luck come their way, since they're a bad team year in and year out. 

22 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

If they would have made that 4th and 1 against the Packers in week 1 last year they would have had a much, much, much different season tbh.

Shows how GREAT GB really was last year too. Nearly lost to Jacksonville...then got stomped in the ground by average teams like Tennessee and Washington, and even lost to the Colts and Vikings who are also average teams...yet they'll be SB favorites yet again this year. lmao

On 1/9/2017 at 5:54 PM, WoolMagnet said:

it makes me laugh when i come here to see all the forum GMs and coaches that really believe they know more than the owners, GMs, and coaches.

You're absolutely right. We should just shut the forum down right now! What's the point!?

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Seems like this gets said about the Jags every year lol. I guess it has to end up being true eventually.

In the last decade or so, yes.  yes it has.  However, Tom Coughlin, the guy brought in to be executive vice President of Football operations for the Jags was also their very first HC, for the expansion team from 1995-2002 — the team’s first eight seasons in the NFL. Coughlin compiled a 68–60 record in the regular season and he led the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons from 1996 through 1999, including two trips to the conference championship game.

In between Jags stints, he coached the NY football giants from 2004 - 2015 and collected 2 Super Bowl wins with Eli Manning and aggressive D's. He has a culture of winning that the Jags have lost since he left them as HC some 15 years ago. I would not underestimate TC's presence there in J'ville...

I just don't know if he's a hands on executive type. Mike Holmgren was a good coach to and he was a disaster as a hands on executive. He was bred to coach, period. I think the same could be said about Coughlin. He even altered college football history to. The Notre Dame upset is probably 4th all time for him right behind the 2 SBs and the Broncos playoff game. Notre Dame had the national championship similar to how the Pats had it when they were 17-0. Then came Tom Coughlin.

But...dang the Jags had a good draft and like somebody said Tom has Jaguar heritage. It's like Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers. 

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just don't know if he's a hands on executive type.

Maybe Bucky Brooks (He played under TC in J'Ville in 1996-97) can answer that for you-

"Now, I'll be the first to admit that I was a little skeptical about Coughlin serving as the top executive without acting as the chess master on the field."

{snip}

"Things are definitely a little tighter than before [under Gus Bradley]," a Jaguars official told me. "There's more discipline and detail. From top to bottom, everyone has clear understanding of the expectations. There's a level of accountability that was missing in the locker room. We needed to fix that to reach our potential."

Full article here-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793745/article/tom-coughlin-immediately-changes-feel-of-jacksonville-jaguars

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

But...dang the Jags had a good draft and like somebody said Tom has Jaguar heritage. It's like Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers. 

I did right above your post.  Maybe others have as well here or on other threads.  He is what the Jags need right now, and makes the division (as well as his team) tougher immediately.