Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars to hire Doug Marrone as their HC, Tom Coughlin as the VP of Football Op.

MTC

I'll be the contrarian....

I think both move are very good hires.     Marrone did a very nice job in Buffalo,  but left over a mishandled contract.     Silly of hm then.     But nice that he gets a 2nd chance.

And Coughlin is a sharp football mind.

I think it's a good combination.    

I like Marrone more than I like Mularky at Tennessee.

With all the "experts" here, i'm surprised jax didn't hire one of the forum members.

it makes me laugh when i come here to see all the forum GMs and coaches that really believe they know more than the owners, GMs, and coaches.  Opinions and discussion is one thing, but to think we have the knowledge and ability, well, lets just say a padded room is not far off.

jax will be better next year. You throw enuff darts, you're bound to eventually hit the board. That defense has potential.

This is a really good hire on both sides for Jacksonville. Watch out Colts, you may never win another division again now that Pagano and Grigson are returning and both Houston and Tennessee vastly improved this year. Perhaps the AFC South is finally becoming a respectable division. 

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

With all the "experts" here, i'm surprised jax didn't hire one of the forum members.

it makes me laugh when i come here to see all the forum GMs and coaches that really believe they know more than the owners, GMs, and coaches.  Opinions and discussion is one thing, but to think we have the knowledge and ability, well, lets just say a padded room is not far off.

jax will be better next year. You throw enuff darts, you're bound to eventually hit the board. That defense has potential.

Oh god, this post again.

With what they're trying to do with Bortles, this is probably the best decision they could make.

The importance for them next season has to be to get Blake Bortles back on track. Last year, he took a huge step forward, but then this year, a giant step back. 

After last off season, I can see Jacksonville having a bit of a more low key off season this time around. They still got lots of talent on that roster. They're no slouch in the division that's for sure. We'll see what happens I guess.

The hire of Tom Coughlin is a very good one but I have my doubts on Bortles, which is what I feel will hold them back. Remember the David Garrard and MJD days, they were still good and played good D but the ceiling was always capped at the QB position when the QB had to make plays.

Peyton>>>>>>>>Garrard or any QB they had

Same with Luck >>>>> Bortles 

They have talent on so many levels but once we close the gap on talent even close enough, our head of the snake greater than theirs :)

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

This is a really good hire on both sides for Jacksonville. Watch out Colts, you may never win another division again now that Pagano and Grigson are returning and both Houston and Tennessee vastly improved this year. Perhaps the AFC South is finally becoming a respectable division. 

Please explain how Houston vastly improved.  Leave out no detail

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

It is a good hire and it is turning into a better division, but if the Colts have a decent offseason they will be afc south champs. Bank on it

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Please explain how Houston vastly improved.  Leave out no detail

I wouldn't say vastly but when u have number 1 defense without the best defensive player in league that's scary. They will prob go after another qb if they get lucky like seahawks or cowboys in draft team will be pretty hard to beat.

20 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Not commenting on the Jags situation but at some point you have to admit that you are probably smarter then some team's GM's.

Trent Baalke fired Jim Harbaugh while Jim was #5 all time in NFL win percentage with more then 50 games.  

The Browns drafted Johnny Manziel whom they knew had problems with alcoholism and gave him several million dollars and where surprised that he had more interest in partying and drinking then football.

I'm not saying I could put together a super bowl winner, I'm not saying I could compete with the top GM's in the league.  But I do think I could do better then some of the worst GM's in the league.  I wouldn't have drafted Johnny and I wouldn't have fired Jim Harbaugh.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not commenting on the Jags situation but at some point you have to admit that you are probably smarter then some team's GM's.

Trent Baalke fired Jim Harbaugh while Jim was #5 all time in NFL win percentage with more then 50 games.  

The Browns drafted Johnny Manziel whom they knew had problems with alcoholism and gave him several million dollars and where surprised that he had more interest in partying and drinking then football.

I'm not saying I could put together a super bowl winner, I'm not saying I could compete with the top GM's in the league.  But I do think I could do better then some of the worst GM's in the league.  I wouldn't have drafted Johnny and I wouldn't have fired Jim Harbaugh.  

No offense, but haha.

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

NFL draft = Nuclear fusion

You would probably miss on the entire draft class and have a couple of your former first round picks be out of the NFL in short order.  No way a real GM would do those things............

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Baalke didn't fire Harbaugh on his own.     When you fire a winning HC like Harbaugh,  that's an organizational decision.    The owner pulled the trigger.      Baalke may have delivered the news,  but that decision was made much higher.       

As for Manziel,  what Cleveland knew was that Johnny liked to party.     I seriously doubt that knew he was an alcoholic.     NFL teams do serious deep background checks on picks,  especially top picks.     The alcoholism surfaced while he was in Cleveland.      Now,  were there enough warning flags to scare away most teams?   Yes.     Heck yes.     And Cleveland should've known better.     But that move cost the GM and HC their jobs.

That kind of screw-up comes with a price......

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

NFL draft = Nuclear fusion

You would probably miss on the entire draft class and have a couple of your former first round picks be out of the NFL in short order.  No way a real GM would do those things............

Oh that's silly.  With the staff that these guys have it's unlikely that I would miss an entire draft and have the first rounders out of the NFL any faster then Werner or Richardson.  (Oh right Grigson spent a first round on both those guys.)

Shoot you could probably read some mock drafts and get about half right.  It's not like the top players in the draft are huge surprises. 

Again I'm not saying I'd be be a top GM at all.  I'm just saying that I could do slightly better then some of the worst GM's on account of not making stupid mistakes like firing top 5 head coaches or drafting alcoholics.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Baalke didn't fire Harbaugh on his own.     When you fire a winning HC like Harbaugh,  that's an organizational decision.    The owner pulled the trigger.      Baalke may have delivered the news,  but that decision was made much higher.       

As for Manziel,  what Cleveland knew was that Johnny liked to party.     I seriously doubt that knew he was an alcoholic.     NFL teams do serious deep background checks on picks,  especially top picks.     The alcoholism surfaced while he was in Cleveland.      Now,  were there enough warning flags to scare away most teams?   Yes.     Heck yes.     And Cleveland should've known better.     But that move cost the GM and HC their jobs.

That kind of screw-up comes with a price......

Manziel was kicked out of Manning's camp for getting drunk, having a hangover and not showing up to teach the kids.  That should have told everyone all they needed to know.  

At the very least it shows he's unreliable.  

And keep in mind this is a guy you are selecting to play QUARTERBACK.  I'd have to dig back but I'm pretty sure during that whole draft process I said (and it was unpopular) that I saw Manziel as a 4th round player at best because of his habits.  

As far as Harbaugh, I'm sure the owner approved of the firing.  But do you think Harbaugh get's fired if the GM stands by him and say's "He's my coach."  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Manziel was kicked out of Manning's camp for getting drunk, having a hangover and not showing up to teach the kids.  That should have told everyone all they needed to know.  

At the very least it shows he's unreliable.  

And keep in mind this is a guy you are selecting to play QUARTERBACK.  I'd have to dig back but I'm pretty sure during that whole draft process I said (and it was unpopular) that I saw Manziel as a 4th round player at best because of his habits.  

As far as Harbaugh, I'm sure the owner approved of the firing.  But do you think Harbaugh get's fired if the GM stands by him and say's "He's my coach."  

As to Manziel....   all good points by you.      I'm only so many of them are more obvious now with hindsight.

I was not a fan.      I think I projected him to go in the first round,  but not because I liked him,  but because it appeared as if some team would take him.      I just didn't know who?

As to Baalke,  yes,  I think Harbaugh was due to go.    He wears out his welcome quickly.    He sucks the oxygen out of every room he's in.      He wares out his welcome quickly.      You can only take him for so long.     Stanford wanted him back --- but only for one more year,  Luck's last year.      Otherwise,  everyone who was dealing with him was ready to for him to move on.

He's just abrasive.    To players,  fellow coaches,   administrators,  his bosses --- everyone.     It's never ending.   24/7/365.       I doubt Baalke had the power to hire him unilaterally without getting management clearance,  and the same goes for firing.        He's just a hurriance,  and after a while,  everyone needs a change of scenery.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh that's silly.  With the staff that these guys have it's unlikely that I would miss an entire draft and have the first rounders out of the NFL any faster then Werner or Richardson.  (Oh right Grigson spent a first round on both those guys.)

Shoot you could probably read some mock drafts and get about half right.  It's not like the top players in the draft are huge surprises. 

Again I'm not saying I'd be be a top GM at all.  I'm just saying that I could do slightly better then some of the worst GM's on account of not making stupid mistakes like firing top 5 head coaches or drafting alcoholics.

I was being totally sarcastic.  

and I was referring to Grigson/TRich/Werner in my post.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

They had an insane good draft. I could see Marrone being the Jag's Dungy. Get them to a couple winning seasons, get fired after 8-8, then they get a big time HC.

And Coughlin is there to run the front office, so they definitely have a shot now.