Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Roger Goddell a Hall-of-Famer?

oldunclemark

we always talk about players and coaches.

Goddell has led the league through a time of great prosperity....

...signed labor agreements on time.....put in discipline rules that simply were not there before

..and put mucho dinero in the owner's pockets

The NFL has expanded into Sunday and Thursday night and the No.1 and No. 2 programs on TV are NFL games....

Started the NFL Network and spread the game into Europe and Mexico

Players don't like him..but they play..fans and media don't like him/./but they continue to watch

what do you think? 

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

...signed labor agreements on time.....put in discipline rules that simply were not there before

The NFL has expanded into Sunday and Thursday night and the No.1 and No. 2 programs on TV are NFL games....

Players don't like him..but they play..fans and media don't like him/./but they continue to watch

what do you think? 

Anyone could have seen prosperity being the commissioner of the NFL.   How many commissioners are in the HOF?

On 2017-01-07 at 6:59 PM, jvan1973 said:

Not impressed that he took a fast moving freight train and was able to move forward

This.  Anyone could have made the NFL popular and put money in the pocket of the owners.  The NFL was vastly popular before Goodell and it will be vastly popular after Goodell.  I actually think the NFL could be more popular with someone else (see: drop in viewers) because of how Goodell approaches player punishments (heavier sentence for marijuana than domestic abuse), how he approaches player fines and penalties (fined for petty uniform violations or harmless TD celebrations), and how he approached the "big" cases (Ray Rice, Tom Brady).  Based on what I've seen, Goodell is a very unpopular figure among NFL fans.  The lockout of a few years ago doesn't help his case either.

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

This.  Anyone could have made the NFL popular and put money in the pocket of the owners.  The NFL was vastly popular before Goodell and it will be vastly popular after Goodell.  I actually think the NFL could be more popular with someone else (see: drop in viewers) because of how Goodell approaches player punishments (heavier sentence for marijuana than domestic abuse), how he approaches player fines and penalties (fined for petty uniform violations or harmless TD celebrations), and how he approached the "big" cases (Ray Rice, Tom Brady).  Based on what I've seen, Goodell is a very unpopular figure among NFL fans.  The lockout of a few years ago doesn't help his case either.

Correct me if I'm wrong here because I've only been watching the NFL for about 5 years now.  But I got the impression that the NFL barely punished anything prior to Goodell taking over.  

the nfl is popular in spite of RG, not becasue of him

fans dont care about players smoking at home on their own time.  we would never even know about it if not for the leagues testing

the younger fans actually like TD celebrations and what not

ray rice should be banned for life, josh gordon is a non issue

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here because I've only been watching the NFL for about 5 years now.  But I got the impression that the NFL barely punished anything prior to Goodell taking over.  

Goodell is going overkill with it.  A player wants to wear cleats honouring a former player or a good cause, but he gets fined, for example.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Goodell is going overkill with it.  A player wants to wear cleats honouring a former player or a good cause, but he gets fined, for example.

Discipline, is a good thing...

Celebrations got out of hand......Goddell took the heat for stopping them..

Players can honor whoever they want..but iof they want to alter the uniform to get that message on TV..it will be con trolled an d should be

...Bad behavior ran wild each summer..Remember...Goddell dealt out highly unpopular suspensions.

And the game keeps expanding.....the money rolls in and all benefit

No one did anything about head trauma until Goddell's time...

I would never argued that he's loved or liked...but the NFL has continued to rise..

...and like him or not...one man leads it.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Discipline, is a good thing...

Celebrations got out of hand......Goddell took the heat for stopping them..

Players can honor whoever they want..but iof they want to alter the uniform to get that message on TV..it will be con trolled an d should be

...Bad behavior ran wild each summer..Remember...Goddell dealt out highly unpopular suspensions.

And the game keeps expanding.....the money rolls in and all benefit

No one did anything about head trauma until Goddell's time...

I would never argued that he's loved or liked...but the NFL has continued to rise..

...and like him or not...one man leads it.

He is the first commissioner to see a ratings drop in a very long time

I don't think he's a HOFer.

He's done a good job as commissioner, IMO, and the primary way to gauge that is by revenue and relative labor peace (since Goodell became commissioner, a long term CBA was done with zero lost games, besides one preseason game; in the same time, both the NBA and NHL have had work stoppages and lost games). Ratings have been mostly increasing, even for bad products like the Pro Bowl. The league is in good shape, maybe better shape now than when he took over. He's been an effective steward for the game and the league in more ways than one, and he's successfully taken the pressure off of the owners for unpopular decisions -- player discipline, TNF, Deflategate, Bountygate, etc. It's hard to find any measure by which he isn't a good commissioner, unless 'he's a huge jerk' counts, and I don't even think that's true. He's not popular, but that's probably a good thing in that position.

But to go to the HOF, you have to have left a significant mark. The game, the league, history itself, has to be different because of your impact. You have to be transcendent, excellent. And that is in relation to those who came before you and your contemporaries. Goodell's impact has been typical, I think, of any commissioner. Sure, he's had an impact, but he's been running the league for over a decade now. Any commissioner would have had an impact. What achievement will stand out on his bio, where people will say 'he made that happen, and the league is better for it'? I think he made common sense decisions, and the big ones, the ones that really affected the league, were the same kind of decisions anyone in his position would have made. 

David Stern, for comparison, saw the NBA through a very difficult period. And by the time he was halfway through his tenure, the league was more popular than ever, it had greater appeal to most demographics, it was in better financial shape, the players were stars like never before, several franchises were added... and by the end of his tenure, I believe every franchise was profitable. I happen to think David Stern was a major butt, but to me, he's a HOFer. 

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is the first commissioner to see a ratings drop in a very long time

He's the only commissioner to have to deal with the Internet boom, streaming, piracy, DVR and daily fantasy (or even Internet-based fantasy, which was still in its infancy in 2006; NFL.com didn't launch FF on its site until 2010). I don't think the ratings has anything to do with the popularity of the league, I think it's entirely about people consuming football differently. 

Edit: And of course, average viewership is still waaay higher than it was a decade ago.

19 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The issue is that it's easier to create a hard and fast rule regarding uniforms then it is to make a judgement call on every situation.  Once you start making the judgement calls then the boundries will be pushed more and more until the rule is rendered meaningless.  

I understand in what ways it sucks but on the other hand I think sometimes consistency is the most important attribute.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The issue is that it's easier to create a hard and fast rule regarding uniforms then it is to make a judgement call on every situation.  Once you start making the judgement calls then the boundries will be pushed more and more until the rule is rendered meaningless.  

I understand in what ways it sucks but on the other hand I think sometimes consistency is the most important attribute.  

I think there is a line you can draw.  For example, this is ridiculous

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130227/article/frank-gore-fined-10500-by-nfl-for-wearing-low-socks

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:52 PM, Superman said:

He's the only commissioner to have to deal with the Internet boom, streaming, piracy, DVR and daily fantasy (or even Internet-based fantasy, which was still in its infancy in 2006; NFL.com didn't launch FF on its site until 2010). I don't think the ratings has anything to do with the popularity of the league, I think it's entirely about people consuming football differently. 

Edit: And of course, average viewership is still waaay higher than it was a decade ago.

Exactly.

I know the media and fans, in large part, do not like Goddell.

But that's not a credential for the Hall..

Roger Goddell's  job is to promote the NFL and move it forward.

Even those who do not like him would have to argue that the league has prospered on his watch.

Whether or not it have done so with someone else is interesting but you also have to credit him for succeeding at his main job..creating bigger and better money for all in the league and expanding the sport in and out of this country.

I think he's a lock for the Hall

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly.

I know the media and fans, in large part, do not like Goddell.

But that's not a credential for the Hall..

Roger Goddell's  job is to promote the NFL and move it forward.

Even those who do not like him would have to argue that the league has prospered on his watch.

Whether or not it have done so with someone else is interesting but you also have to credit him for succeeding at his main job..creating bigger and better money for all in the league and expanding the sport in and out of this country.

I think he's a lock for the Hall

I give him credit for it, but I don't think that by itself is HOF worthy.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I give him credit for it, but I don't think that by itself is HOF worthy.

That's not all...

there's been labor peace for years.....players and refs

.....no NFL head addressed head trauma until Goddell...

..no NFL head addressed domestic violence committed by players until Goddell

The expansion into Sunday and Thursday night football....and the NFL Network

The stability of ownership across the league..

.....and the bottom line.....overwhelming wealth for all franchises whether they win or lose.

Other than finding jobs for TIm Tebow and Johny Manziel.....there's nothing he hasn't tackled..

Players hate the boss so fans and media virtually have to.

But that's seperate from the question of being hall worthy...

HIs name will come up but ......probably not while any of us here are still talking to each other

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's not all...

there's been labor peace for years.....players and refs

.....no NFL head addressed head trauma until Goddell...

..no NFL head addressed domestic violence committed by players until Goddell

The expansion into Sunday and Thursday night football....and the NFL Network

The stability of ownership across the league..

.....and the bottom line.....overwhelming wealth for all franchises whether they win or lose.

Other than finding jobs for TIm Tebow and Johny Manziel.....there's nothing he hasn't tackled..

Players hate the boss so fans and media virtually have to.

But that's seperate from the question of being hall worthy...

HIs name will come up but ......probably not while any of us here are still talking to each other

Sunday night football didn't start under goodells watch

On 1/7/2017 at 7:39 PM, oldunclemark said:

what do you think? 

Only if he eliminates weed from the drug testing. He is vilified amongst players and the media alike as a lackey for the owners. He has grown the NFL but unfortunately for him he came into power in the social media concussion pc generation. Just a mine field of issues...I don't think so.