Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The definition of insanity.

23 minutes ago, MTC said:

Jim Irsay has too big of an ego to make the right decisions. 

It's his fault for giving Grigano/Pagrigson a four year contact extension in the first place. They never deserved it.

I didn't know you knew Jim so well.  

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Maybe its emotional fans with no real knowledge of how an NFL franchise is run. (Us)

I'm guessing a majority of the people complaining never played or coached football. I've seen owners destroy team, like Snyder in Washington before he wisely decided to let football people run the franchise.  He was constantly making ignorant and emotional decisions.  Same currently with Haslam.

Pagano is far from perfect, but given what he's had to work with he's done pretty well.  Except for B.B., no coach with a franchise QB has done much better.  Tomlin had back to back 8-8 seasons, he's bounced back.  

I've been critical of Grigson, but I'll give him last years draft and hope he continues to improve as a GM.  

I, for one, give Irsay credit for keeping Chuck.  And he did say they were tied together, so to keep his word he had to keep Grigs.  

When Jim Irsay fired Bill Polian, he thought he could re-install the winning franchise this team once was because he thought he was the reason for the Colts success. With that, he became more involved with shaping the front office and personnel. 

Jim Irsay's mindset during the first four years of the Pagrigson era was about out doing what Peyton and Polian did. By winning more games in the first four years. (http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/05/jim-irsay-said-that-ryan-grigson-has-been-better-than-bill-polian-after-four-years-in-indianapolis/)

Jim was all about the attention and making the flashy moves. The main reason Irsay/Grigson traded for Richardson was for national attention and buzz. I don't think he cared about how it would actually hurt the team. 

Jim Irsay had Pagano and Grigson each report to him and not to each other. This caused a rift between Grigson and Pagano because their communication was on two different levels. 

Jim Irsay is at fault here. 

9 minutes ago, MTC said:

The only reason Irsay gave Grigson/Pagano a four year contract extension was to prove/show off to Polian how successful he was without him. Firing them would admit he made a mistake letting Polian go.

I completely disagree.  Polian's last years where trying to get his son into position to take over and Irsay did not want Chris as GM.  Plus his picks were going downhill so he got rid of both of them.  I do think as Grigson has been here he has learned some and hopefully continues to grow and make better decisions.  I think our biggest issue is the force merger between the HC and GM.  They both have a different outlook of what they want and they each suffer from this.  Irsay tried to again force them to mature together and he is providing another year since there is nothing out there that he sees as better.  I may not agree with this as I do not think Pagano is a great HC but I am not Irsay.  For the record I wish we would have went after Kyle Shanahan.

18 minutes ago, MTC said:

The only reason Irsay gave Grigson/Pagano a four year contract extension was to prove/show off to Polian how successful he was without him. Firing them would admit he made a mistake letting Polian go.

More conjecture.  Neat

5 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Not to be that guy, but the definition of insanity isn't doing the same thing over and over etc.

It's just a nice quote people like to overuse.

And expecting different results. Most certainly that's the definition of insanity. 

I don't doubt that Irsay has looked into/considered a HC change last year and this year. I also don't doubt that he is doing what he believes is best. He knows his options and if feels Grigson/Pagano are his best options then it's his decision. I believe Irsay wants this team to win as bad as anyone so I trust his intentions.

For those wanting a HC change, and I don't disagree, I think the change happens once Irsay feels he can get a bigger name/someone he has no doubt is better than Chuck. I don't think winning the AFC South next year or a playoff win will prevent Irsay from making a move if the right candidate comes along.

There are reasons i'm optimistic. Enough cap space to (hopefully) sign a couple of starters, picking in the middle of each round, and a young offensive line that should improve next year. I certainly have doubts about Grigson/Pagano signing/drafting players but they will get their chance to get things right so time will tell.

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

And expecting different results. Most certainly that's the definition of insanity. 

Bringing back Pagano and Grigson does not mean they are "doing the same thing and expecting different results" because there are another 1,000+ variables aside from just bringing back the HC and GM.

Doing the same thing would mean facing the exact same schedule of teams, with exactly the same game plans, exactly the same play calls, exactly the same lineups etc etc and expecting to win games that were previously lost under the exact same conditions.

BTW, below is the real definition of insanity:

in·san·i·ty

inˈsanədē/

noun

noun: insanity

the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.

"he suffered from bouts of insanity"

synonyms:mental illness, madness, dementia; More

lunacy, instability;

mania, psychosis;

informalcraziness

"insanity runs in her family"

The whole "doing the same thing over and expecting different results" is not the definition of insanity, it's a quote from Albert Einstein who, as far as I know, never worked for Websters.

16 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Not to be that guy, but the definition of insanity isn't doing the same thing over and over etc.

It's just a nice quote people like to overuse.

I'm so tired of people using that quote and acting like it's esoteric and extremely profound. 

13 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

They didn't deserve extensions. That's not a personal attack that's the opinion of a majority of the fans. 

I'm not debating whether they deserved extensions.  I don't believe he has an ego that prevents him from making wise decisions. I think if someone can say that as though it's true, I can say it's not

36 minutes ago, MTC said:

I disagree again. In fact, I would not be surprised if they spoke on the phone about this issue

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

I'm not debating whether they deserved extensions.  I don't believe he has an ego that prevents him from making wise decisions. I think if someone can say that as though it's true, I can say it's not

I hope you right of course.

42 minutes ago, MTC said:

When Jim Irsay fired Bill Polian, he thought he could re-install the winning franchise this team once was because he thought he was the reason for the Colts success. With that, he became more involved with shaping the front office and personnel. 

Jim Irsay's mindset during the first four years of the Pagrigson era was about out doing what Peyton and Polian did. By winning more games in the first four years. (http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/05/jim-irsay-said-that-ryan-grigson-has-been-better-than-bill-polian-after-four-years-in-indianapolis/)

Jim was all about the attention and making the flashy moves. The main reason Irsay/Grigson traded for Richardson was for national attention and buzz. I don't think he cared about how it would actually hurt the team. 

Jim Irsay had Pagano and Grigson each report to him and not to each other. This caused a rift between Grigson and Pagano because their communication was on two different levels. 

Jim Irsay is at fault here. 

you sure that each reported to Jim? As I understood it, once he hired them, he expected them to take care of things and he would take a step back.

But, Jim did hire Grigson and gave both contract extensions and with the outcomes we've seen, I'd say it looks like the wrong decision.  Not sure what he sees in them except maybe the contracts are too much to get out of

10 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I'm getting a mild case of insanity looking at your user name... Lol 

GAM, fyi, if you're talking about the OP name, that's the famed Sack Pack of the late seventies!  The Bert Jones era!  Good memories.