Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Alex Marvez Pagano will be back as HC in 2017 (merge)

HungarianColtsFan

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, adubb84 said:

Oh boy....(grabs popcorn. Awaits for forum to implode)

It happens. I'm rather ambivalent with this news.

On one hand Pagano is a good guy and apparently players like him, continuity is important. On the other hand he is said to be a defense guru, his Ds here are among worse ones (NB he isn't working with players like Nagata or Ray Lewis). The team is widely inconsistent too. I'm a fence sitter...we shall see how it pans out.

Just now, HungarianColtsFan said:

It happens. I'm rather ambivalent with this news.

On one hand Pagano is a good guy and apparently players like him, continuity is important. On the other hand he is said to be a defense guru, his Ds here are among worse ones (NB he isn't working with players like Nagata or Ray Lewis). The team is widely inconsistent too. I'm a fence sitter...we shall see how it pans out.

Good points. I'm just a bit unsure how I feel. The slow starts are what give me heart burn. If there aren't any candidates out there (that have actual interest) then there really isn't a point to make a change for the sake of making change. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

When are yall gonna realize the guy needs better than substandard athletes to run his D? Of course you will suck with nothing but low scale free agents and draft busts like Chapman heading your defense.

Are you insinuating that Grigson is the one that is let go instead? If they are both retained then I would HOPE they fully address the defense, especially at LB....lord knows we need it

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Good points. I'm just a bit unsure how I feel. The slow starts are what give me heart burn. If there aren't any candidates out there (that have actual interest) then there really isn't a point to make a change for the sake of making change. 

I thought nothing would change since read an article on stampedeblue.com about Manning refusing GM role yet.

I couldn't think of any legit HC candidates out of McDaniels, but he is a hot candidate and might have plenty offers.

Tough...Pagano/Grigson need really to show up now!

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

No news on Grigson though huh? If this turns out to be true I wonder what Irsay will say about the silence. He can't openly say he tried to get a new HC but didn't get the guy he wanted.

Alex Marvez retweetelte: Andrew Bogusch

Haha. Nothing on Grigson but I would be more surprised if he's fired than if he's retained. Jim Irsay likes him a lot & wants him to succeed

Until the Colts themselves come out and say this I'm not buying it. If this was case all along a small announcement could have been made by now. A vote of confidence for next year from our owner yet this wasn't the case. This "RUMOR" could be just an opposite reaction to all the "something is going on" speculation everyone and their mother has been speculating.

9 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Are you insinuating that Grigson is the one that is let go instead? If they are both retained then I would HOPE they fully address the defense, especially at LB....lord knows we need it

No. Grigson made those mistakes early on as a Novice to the role. Now that reality has opened his eyes he has done better. I expect he will do another solid job with the draft this year. He has learned for the most part. Chuck ain't that bad either. You can only do so well playing with substandard part and holes all over the team. The results will naturally be up and down until you get the team balanced out. Hell Saban, Gruden, or Harbaugh would have problems with all the different parts of this team that need maintenance. That's hard to coach with a line that don't block and a defense that doesn't defend. I think it forces you into a bombs away mentality from the opening snap. Both of them certainly have room to improve though.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

No. Grigson made those mistakes early on as a Novice to the role. Now that reality has opened his eyes he has done better. I expect he will do another solid job with the draft this year. He has learned for the most part. Chuck ain't that bad either. You can only do so well playing with substandard part and holes all over the team. The results will naturally be up and down until you get the team balanced out. Hell Saban, Gruden, or Harbaugh would have problems with all the different parts of this team that need maintenance. That's hard to coach with a line that don't block and a defense that doesn't defend.

As people (fanatics) who truly understand what deficiencies our team has ^ this make sense. However, selling this brain trust to causal fans another year of both is going to be a hard sell. Irsay needs to say something to to calm the nerves of many

Just now, adubb84 said:

As people (fanatics) who truly understand what deficiencies our team has ^ this make sense. However, selling this brain trust to causal fans another year of both is going to be a hard sell. Irsay needs to say something to calm the nerves of many

I have no expectations for this team anymore. I tend to laugh when we fail horribly on certain plays. Hopefully this staff has grown from the last 2 seasons, and we can have a successful draft with needs like pass rusher and linebacker along with the oline. 

But its like I said. I have no expectations anymore. 

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Lord I hope this fake news.  

Have a feeling it's not. Marvez is pretty reliable.

I think Irsay is planning to give Grigson and Pagano one more year. Miss the playoffs again and he will fire both. Grigson and Pagano are in a prime spot to atleast do that this coming season.

Just now, Restored said:

Have a feeling it's not. Marvez is pretty reliable.

I think Irsay is planning to give Grigson and Pagano one more year. Miss the playoffs again and he will fire both. Grigson and Pagano are in a prime spot to atleast do that this coming season.

IF these two * were capable of winning they would have done it by now.

27 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Figured as much. Improvement can be seen in Ryan Grigson's work. Can't really say the same about coaching. Hopefully there is a wake up call to change some things. Not sure I'm all that optimistic that will occur. 

One good draft doesn't make up for 3 sucky ones in a row.

Wow, I'm appalled. This has to be based on fact that:

1) Manning, as reported, wasn't ready to be a GM or

2) Saban and possibly Harbough already turned Irsay down behind the scenes

Chud and Monachino better get canned then, along with our strength coaches

30 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Until the Colts themselves come out and say this I'm not buying it. If this was case all along a small announcement could have been made by now. A vote of confidence for next year from our owner yet this wasn't the case. This "RUMOR" could be just an opposite reaction to all the "something is going on" speculation everyone and their mother has been speculating.

This^

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

VERY excited to be a laughing stock again

I think Cleveland has that locked up, not to mention the 13 teams that finished with worse records than us..

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

One good draft doesn't make up for 3 sucky ones in a row.

When that draft was you most recent one, it shows improvement. Grigson was a rookie GM coming in and happened to have a good 1st draft. This most recent draft shows that he's learned and did a much better job.

Just now, Indeee said:

Wow, I'm appalled. This has to be based on fact that:

1) Manning, as reported, wasn't ready to be a GM or

2) Saban and possibly Harbough already turned Irsay down behind the scenes

Chud and Monachino better get canned then, along with our strength coaches

1) Nowhere near ready. You have to realize that Elway had a decade of Front Office experience before stepping into his current role.

2. Saban is a legendary college HC and was a terrible NFL HC. Hard pass. Harbaugh isn't leaving. Stop the obsession.

3. You don't fire coordinators after just one season. That's shortsighted and does more harm than help. It takes years for players to fully learn a scheme.

Anyone upset at this news has nobody to blame but yourselves for hyping up the possibility of them getting fired, despite Irsay saying a few weeks ago that he wasn't going to make changes.

I believe that is why he never said anything. He already addressed it and it's not his fault that you torch and pitchfork holders just didn't like what you heard and assumed you'd later get the answer you wanted to hear.

It makes perfect sense not to fire them this year, just 1 season removed from their extensions. If he wanted to fire them, last season would have been it. I do believe that if they can't get it done next season, they're gone.

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

When are yall gonna realize the guy needs better than substandard athletes to run his D? Of course you will suck with nothing but low scale free agents and draft busts like Chapman heading your defense.

The issues I have with Pagano honestly don't have anything to do with the defense.  It's the slow starts,  general inconsistency,  poor game management (weird timeouts)  and overall conservative mindset. We've heard all along that he is too soft with the players,  and we've got another report this off-season saying that the team lacks accountability and the players want more.  

That's all reason enough to move on from him in my eyes.  I agree the defensive issues aren't entirely on him,  however,  they need to be more aggressive.  They bltized much more (and more creativity)  under manusky than under Monachino (Pagano's guy.)