Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doesn't the owner see all these posts about why change is good for the team?

gacoop1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay shouldn't base his decisions off what the fan base wants. I say this as a guy who wants changes.

And yes, I'm sure he knows the fan base is for the most part wanting changes, I'm sure he has people who read this board, and look at twitter and facebook comments etc...

As an owner, if you listen to everything your fans say/do, you'll be more messed up then anything else. Fans are crazy and don't have full information. As long as Irsay does his due diligence, then I'll be happy enough with the outcome.  Granted, I desperately want him to fire everyone but if he doesn't this season and gives them one last chance to unscrew this pooch, then so be it

Only thing owners care about is prices for things like jerseys, french fires, Nike KO Sweatshirts, Nike N98 Jackets, Sideline Nike Dri-Fit T-Shirt's...
maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, Jules said:

maxresdefault.jpg

You should post the gif version of that next time :P

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

As an owner, if you listen to everything your fans say/do, you'll be more messed up then anything else. Fans are crazy and don't have full information. As long as Irsay does his due diligence, then I'll be happy enough with the outcome.  Granted, I desperately want him to fire everyone but if he doesn't this season and gives them one last chance to unscrew this pooch, then so be it

Not to mention, fans typically make decisions emotionally and focused on short term results (instant satisfaction). An owner looks at the big picture and the long game.

5 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Change is always good if your team is not performing up to their potential.

Agreed. But what if the changes consist of better starts, better execution, great draft, better coaching decisions (including play-calling) ability to close out games, a much-improved run defense and o-line play, a nasty pass rush and staying healthy? I don't see any reason why all of these changes can't happen with Pagano & Grigson in place. To quote Phil Simms & Boomer Esiasan, when discussing teams that need to "blow things up" they reckognized that the Colts have a nucleus they can build on. Irsay had his reasons to extend these contracts. Perhaps he knows more about football then we do?

Yep the Colts should follow the browns, jags, raiders, and rams coaching moves. Raiders finally hit with 1 good year in the last 15. Browns, jags and rams have a total of maybe 3 playoff years in the last 15yrs. I'm not happen with 8-8, but the team improved over the last 8 games. Houston and jags well suck awhile and titans only have 1 good year in a decade and the Colts beat them twice this year. If the o line pays all year next year life the did the last half of this year and the defense can be improved the Colts will be back on top of the south and challenge the pats and Steelers.

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Maybe our team simply didn't have a lot of potential this year. Irsay has always been tuned in to the fans. I'm sure he has a good idea of what the consensus is among them.

I agree he shouldn't let the fans run the team. 

But I really believe that he's not done anything due to lack of better options, and money. Who are the big candidates? Kyle Shanahan? I'd love him as HC, but he'll get more money from Cleveland, St Louis or J'ville. Sean Payton needs a trade that we can't afford. Jon Gruden? Not a fan. Rex Ryan? Yeesh.

I honestly believe he's waiting it out for a better crop of coaches to choose from. 

9 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Try to remember, this is the same fanbase that wanted Jim Caldwell & Bill Polian gone after the 2-14 season. We got what we wanted, now we're on the outside looking in with Caldwell's replacement, and his team's in the playoffs. They also beat us in the season opener.

I missed Mr. Irsay's call this morning because I was busy making scrambled eggs. I will call him back later this evening and give him my undivided attention along with my opinions. So I guess Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano will just have to sweat it out for a few more hours.

4 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I agree he shouldn't let the fans run the team. 

But I really believe that he's not done anything due to lack of better options, and money. Who are the big candidates? Kyle Shanahan? I'd love him as HC, but he'll get more money from Cleveland, St Louis or J'ville. Sean Payton needs a trade that we can't afford. Jon Gruden? Not a fan. Rex Ryan? Yeesh.

I honestly believe he's waiting it out for a better crop of coaches to choose from. 

To be fair I think most HC candidates are more interested in a place they are likely to stick around and have a chance to succeed then the amount of money they will get.

So I don't think there would be much problem attracting someone like Kyle Shanahan to Indy over Cleveland, ST. Louis or Jacksonville.  Of those 3 only Jacksonville has any structure in place to succeed.  

Cleveland lacks talent but at least has a lot of draft picks and cap room.  They also have a long history of being one and done with coaches in one year.  And that's a big problem considering that making the Browns into a winner is going to be a project.  

No coach in their right mind would want to go to St. Louis when they have other options available.  Their team both sucks and lacks draft picks due to Jared Goff trade.

Trust me, if we wanted to, we could attract Kyle Shanahan or any HC candidate to Indy over those 3.  Especially Cleveland and St. Louis.  Jacksonville could give it a run though.  A lot of name players plus they have a history of giving their coaches a chance. 

I'm not really a fan of Sean Payton even if we didn't have to trade anything to get him.  I get that the talent level on his defense has been lacking but he's not really overcome it either.  The Saints in the last few years have been quite a bit like the Colts.  All offense, no defense, mediocre records and no playoffs.  The fact that Payton won a SB once doesn't automatically certify him as a coaching genius.

I'd honestly rather take a swing at Nick Saban then hire Sean Payton.  

3 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Nah.  Those with the highest post counts/like totals on the site tend to be in favor of keeping chuckles and Grigson.  Irsay is internet savvy, so even if he did troll these message boards,  he knows to put more stock in those guy's opinions. 

or it could be that they are posting a lot so, that's why they have high counts that have nothing to do with their position on coaching

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I highly doubt Irsay looks at the forum and even if he does I'd be floored if he runs the team based on it.

I doubt he does, but like I said above I'm sure he has people that do read the board. Not that he would base decisions on it, but just to get a sense of what fans are thinking. 

Since I'm often the Kill-Joy around here and bursting other people's balloons, I think it's only fair to say how much I love, Love, LOVE this thread.

Typically, I'm guy who complains about terrible a thread might be.     But in this case,  I can't give it enough "likes"...

I'm so glad to say so many posters here understand that an owner should never make decisions based on the latest wishes from the fans.      They change their minds faster than they change their clothes!     That's not a way to run a sports franchise!

Love this thread!!        :colts:

Favorite Thread of the Day!!     

6 hours ago, Nadine said:

:spit:This just happened!

This is my favorite thread,  not only for today,  but in the last few months as well.

There are lots and lots and lots of really good answers!     Really good!

But this one tickles me the most!        So you get this.....      :colts:         :heart:           :thanks:

Note:    We used to have an emoji that started as one thing and then turned into a bouquet of flowers.    If we still had that,   I'd give you that too!

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I doubt he does, but like I said above I'm sure he has people that do read the board. Not that he would base decisions on it, but just to get a sense of what fans are thinking. 

I really doubt those people are highly involved in big decisions that are made because I really don't think they factor fans feelings into rather they make a change in the front office or head coach.

5 hours ago, Nadine said:

or it could be that they are posting a lot so, that's why they have high counts that have nothing to do with their position on coaching

People that have a lot of likes are posters that make posts that a lot of people agree with.  Therefore maybe more people agree with their opinions than actually make posts?  

I post a lot but don't get many likes compared to some people here.  That's because my opinions aren't always agreeable and don't represent the thoughts of a lot of posters. I'll be honest about that lol 

I've just taken a quick look (surprised this info isn't more readily available online), and it seems the average tenure of a Head Coach before winning their first Super Bowl is 3-4 years. 

That would imply that change isn't always good.

It ain't about what the fans want entirely it's just making the obvious change....like it's OBVIOUS chuck is not good enough to be a head coach, it's OBVIOUS grigs is not a good GM, it's OBVIOUS we can't keep luck clean for the most part, it's OBVIOUS the running game is still not there (yes gore ran for a 1,000 yards this season but look how long it's been since the last time that has happened) it's OBVIOUS the defensive scheme chuck believes in does not work, still not enough press coverage and no two deep safeties on certain situations so bottom line is irsay needs to make the obvious change