Somewhere ovr the Waynebow

Robert Mathis: Officially Retiring (merge)

86 posts in this topic

I think (and hope) he'll be back in some capacity.  Possibly as a positional coach or something.

4 people like this

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It would be cool if he got half a sack against the jags.   He and Freeney would each have 122.5 career sacks.   

Is it possible to get 0.5 strip sacks? If so, that would be even more fitting for Rob IMO.

2 people like this

Robert Mathis, one of the greats! We will miss you! Heck of an athlete! 

Love watching him and rooting for him. Dude in his prime was about as bad*** as it got. Happy trails 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think (and hope) he'll be back in some capacity.  Possibly as a positional coach or something.

He just left it wide open that he wants to help out still.

Adam officially the last colt left from the SB team. 

3 people like this

Just now, Derakynn said:

Really glad the Colts didn't have to make the decision. I will definitely miss watching him play. 

Totally agree with this. I have to think Rob that the way Reggie's career ended had to influence his thinking, too. Glad to see Rob will go out with class & dignity while being showered with gratitude from Colts fans everywhere.

Great career, #98.

2 people like this

What a treat it was when Freeney and him played together and the career 98 had afterward. Godspeed Robert !!!

1 person likes this

Thank you Robert for all the memories. Enjoy retirement Mr. Stripsack!!!!

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, ItsTricky said:

Is it possible to get 0.5 strip sacks? If so, that would be even more fitting for Rob IMO.

Ha,  I'm not sure

A player you could put out on the field in his prime and knew offenses would have to account for him every single snap. One of the best

1 person likes this

I would of LOVED to see this guy play OLB in his prime years I think he would have been even better then he was at DE. Thanks for everything Rob you are the best!

Example of a great pro and a heck of a player. Good luck with retirement Robert. Thank you.

What an extremely humble man, Just like Reggie, Peyton and Marvin and so many others from this great franchise.

Robert, you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame my friend. What a tremendous career

1 person likes this

If Robert wants to continue in football as a coach,  then I hope the Colts make that happen.

Even if he wants to take a year off first to be with the family.       I'm good with that too.

But guys like Mathis you want to keep around.     They can still have an impact on the younger players.

1 person likes this

Going to miss him. Had a heck of an impact during the Manning years and SB years, and helped Luck on defense get started in the NFL. Great career and great guy! Hope he comes back as a mentor or coach to the young guys.

Thanks to #98. A truly great person on and off the field. 

You will be missed by so many.

Thanks Robert, I always enjoyed watching you play.  You will definitely be missed by all.

Thanks #98 !!!

Good for him.  He's been a cornerstone of this franchise.  Hope he sticks around in some capacity.

He and Reggie are my all-time favorite Colts.  Loved watching 98 play.

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Man Adam V. Is now "last of the mohicans" isn't he?

Thing about him is though is that he's still about as good as always.  He can still drill 50+ yard field goals.

Seems like he can just keep playing til he gets tired of showing up and kicking a ball.  

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He just left it wide open that he wants to help out still.

Adam officially the last colt left from the SB team. 

In his press conference, he said something like "I'll still be coming around here next year, you guys can't get rid of me completely"

2 people like this

Von miller before von mller. I really love Mathis and wish him the best and hope he has an incredible life after retirement. 

1 person likes this

Him and Freeney are what drew me to the Colts as a kid. 10+ years on sad to see him retire. Devestating when he wanted to be.

43 minutes ago, scousecolt said:

Him and Freeney are what drew me to the Colts as a kid. 10+ years on sad to see him retire. Devestating when he wanted to be.

Man, do I miss the bookends, those 2, you knew one of them was gonna get to the QB, and the fact that Mathis played a 4-3 DE and then to a 3-4 OLB and still was a beast is a testament to his skill and character