Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would definitely use Happ and La Stella as chips. I like Almora though. Almora is Great Defensively in CF.

I agree, need to keep Almora, and La Stella is almost a guaranteed hit. Happ has his moments as well but is not the CF that Almora is, so he might be expendable? Tough decision. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did some research looking back at the Cubs WS run in 2016 vs the Dodgers and Indians in 13 games combined. Here were the Cubs numbers in those 2 series combined. 13 games played overall which is a pretty good sample size on the biggest stages, here IMO would be their best lineup:

CF - Fowler = .281, 3 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB

LF - Schwarber = .412, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 SB (that was in 5 games)

3B - Bryant = .286, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB

1B - Rizzo = .340, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 SB

SS - Russell = .245, 3 HR, 13 RBI, 0 SB

RF - Zobrist = .271, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 0 SB

2B - Baez = .231, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 2 SB

C - Contreras = .182, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 0 SB

P - Jake Arrieta = 2-1, 2.29 ERA (Righty) (3 games total)

Mid Relief - Montgomery = 1-0, 2.98 ERA (Lefty) (9 games total)

Closer - Chapman = 2-0, 1 Save, 2.63 ERA (Lefty) (9 games total)

-The Infield Defense is real solid with Russell, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras, and Bryant. Great chemistry there.

-In DH situations I would bat Heyward 9th, he only batted .111 with no HR's, 1 RBI, but he did have 4 SB's in the 2 series combined.

I would like to add to this, David Ross wouldn't be a bad option either for DH batting 9th. He hit a huge HR in Game 7 at Cleveland.

29 minutes ago, GOZER said:

I agree, need to keep Almora, and La Stella is almost a guaranteed hit. Happ has his moments as well but is not the CF that Almora is, so he might be expendable? Tough decision. 

I really like Russell a lot (he is Good) but he is a tier below Machado. If we had to give up Russell and La Stella or Happ to get Machado I would do it. I would not give up all 3 though, that is losing to much young quality depth.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good ol Boras! I have no idea why the Orioles would want to trade him.

18 hours ago, NFLfan said:

They sure are. Why would a team give up on a young guy of his age? The Orioles could afford him. Does he have Boras as an agent?

He's in his free agent year. He has already said he wont sign a long term deal until he test free agency. We'd be trading a lot for a half season and a chance of signing him long-term during free agency which we could do anyway. I do not like the idea of it. We'd be force to trade way to much for a half season player. Also Russell has started hitting again. La Stella is such a good bench PH player for us. Happ has come back to hitting and is still good to play if/of. Almora defense is extraordinary gold glove caliber cf and is now hitting. There's not a good trade fit for us 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

He's in his free agent year. He has already said he wont sign a long term deal until he test free agency. We'd be trading a lot for a half season and a chance of signing him long-term during free agency which we could do anyway. I do not like the idea of it. We'd be force to trade way to much for a half season player. Also Russell has started hitting again. La Stella is such a good bench PH player for us. Happ has come back to hitting and is still good to play if/of. Almora defense is extraordinary gold glove caliber cf and is now hitting. There's not a good trade fit for us 

Yeah....I love Machado but I don't want a rental. I want a permanent piece coming back. If he was willing to sign an extension that's one thing. Cubs have their issues but pitching to me wins championships. I know last year was different but you are not going to out hit the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros in a WS. You will need great pitching to have a shot. The offense even though they strike out too much is more than sufficient...the pitching is not. If we were getting a Scherzer or Kershaw that is one thing...but more hitting when we have so many nice young bats/fielders...I can wait a year if we want the guy in free agency. I don't want to sell this team off piece by piece for 1 year shots...and I don't think our GM will do that either.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah....I love Machado but I don't want a rental. I want a permanent piece coming back. If he was willing to sign an extension that's one thing. Cubs have their issues but pitching to me wins championships. I know last year was different but you are not going to out hit the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros in a WS. You will need great pitching to have a shot. The offense even though they strike out too much is more than sufficient...the pitching is not. If we were getting a Scherzer or Kershaw that is one thing...but more hitting when we have so many nice young bats/fielders...I can wait a year if we want the guy in free agency. I don't want to sell this team off piece by piece for 1 year shots...and I don't think our GM will do that either.

I personally think the Mets should trade us deGrom for Happ and La Stella :rock:

6 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Good points, I hadn’t heard him say he wanted to test the market and not sign long term.

Depends if he agrees to sign long term? I wouldn't give up all 3 in Russ, Happ, and La Stella but would give up 2 of them if Machado agrees to sign long term.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, NFLfan said:

They sure are. Why would a team give up on a young guy of his age? The Orioles could afford him. Does he have Boras as an agent?

As a matter of fact I believe he does lol

Cards won 6-0 0ver the Royals Mikolas complete game shut out 9 Ks 4 hits . As I expected Alex Reyes will enter the rotation on the 29th ,, Martinez still out with a Lat strain . When he returns they will have to remove Weaver Flaherty or Reyes lol a good problem to have. Tyler O'Neill homers 3rd night in a row my guess he is going nowhere , if Dexter doesn't pick it up he will be riding pine or traded. Matt Carpenter has raised his average 55 points in last six games . Ozuna starting to come alive over all I love the position the Cards are in. One of those three pitchers is going to the pen and will be a major boost there as well. Pena has been doing a very good job filling in for Yadi . I really like this team especially when they play the right line-up.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Cards won 6-0 0ver the Royals Mikolas complete game shut out 9 Ks 4 hits . As I expected Alex Reyes will enter the rotation on the 29th ,, Martinez still out with a Lat strain . When he returns they will have to remove Weaver Flaherty or Reyes lol a good problem to have. Tyler O'Neill homers 3rd night in a row my guess he is going nowhere , if Dexter doesn't pick it up he will be riding pine or traded. Matt Carpenter has raised his average 55 points in last six games . Ozuna starting to come alive over all I love the position the Cards are in. One of those three pitchers is going to the pen and will be a major boost there as well. Pena has been doing a very good job filling in for Yadi . I really like this team especially when they play the right line-up.

You seem pretty pumped up for the rest of your team's season. :)

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You seem pretty pumped up for the rest of your team's season. :)

Any thing can go wrong as we all know but this is a deep organization . Yes I'm very optimistic more so than I have been in the last 6 years or so. And Boras is in fact Machados agent . I checked.

O'Neill has already hit 16 hr between the Cards and Memphis Red Birds , he has not slowed one bit since coming up hitting at a .368  clip . Canadian another Larry Walker ?  Who knows but he does have the tools. Power to all fields runs very well extremely strong hit one 400 plus one handed night before last on an off speed breaking ball that he reached for.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:56 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Recent history:

2014 = Giants over Royals 4-3 in the World Series

2015 = Royals over Mets 4-1 in the World Series

2016 = Cubs over Indians 4-3 in the World Series

2017 = Astros over Dodgers 4-3 in the World Series

NL League MVP's

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Bryce Harper

2016 = Kris Bryant

2017 = Giancarlo Stanton

AL League MVP's

2014 = Mike Trout

2015 = Josh Donaldson

2016 = Mike Trout

2017 = Jose Altuve

NL Cy Young winners

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Jake Arrieta

2016 = Max Scherzer

2017 = Max Scherzer

AL Cy Young winners

2014 = Corey Kluber

2015 = Dallas Keuchel

2016 = Rick Porcello

2017 = Corey Kluber

In BOLD are the reigning winners, so far who do you guys/gals think are the frontrunners for these awards and who should be favored to win the WS in 2018?

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depends if he agrees to sign long term? I wouldn't give up all 3 in Russ, Happ, and La Stella but would give up 2 of them if Machado agrees to sign long term.

Sure if he would sign. But he won’t. I guess he grew up with Almora and they are good friends...but he isn’t going to give up the open market just to sign with us. I don’t want another Chapman situation. We won a WS...but there are no guarantees. I’ll wait til the offseason.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure if he would sign. But he won’t. I guess he grew up with Almora and they are good friends...but he isn’t going to give up the open market just to sign with us. I don’t want another Chapman situation. We won a WS...but there are no guarantees. I’ll wait til the offseason.

Part of the trade could be he agrees to sign long term though. That is what I meant. Getting Chapman paid off bigtime, without him we don't win the WS IMO. When the Cubs traded for Chapman they knew he was a 1 year rental though. That trade had to be done to get us over the top.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In BOLD are the reigning winners, so far who do you guys/gals think are the frontrunners for these awards and who should be favored to win the WS in 2018?

Not sure. I have not watched enough baseball this year to answer this fully. 

If the Mets give deGrom some runs, he may be a candidate for the Cy Young award. He is pitching very well. He is 4-0 with an ERA of .175. 

Mets acquired Jose Bautista. I am not sure I like the move. I like acquiring young players. Bautista is at the end of his career.

Mets  lost 5-1 today to the Marlins. DeGrom goes tomorrow for the Mets. Hopefully we get the rubber game.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Mets acquired Jose Bautista. I am not sure I like the move. I like acquiring young players. Bautista is at the end of his career.

Mets  lost 5-1 today to the Marlins. DeGrom goes tomorrow for the Mets. Hopefully we get the rubber game.

I seen they picked up Bautista, he should help the team. The Cubs played a jimdandy of a game tonight in losing 10-1.

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If the Mets give deGrom some runs, he may be a candidate for the Cy Young award. He is pitching very well. He is 4-0 with an ERA of .175. 

Yeah I am not sure either on any of those questions. Team wise I think the Yankees are going be a tough out for anyone and IMO they are 99% lock to make the Playoffs already. Nothing is 100% because of injury, etc.. Having said that they are 99%. deGrom looks unhittable right now I agree, that is why you guys need to trade him to the Cubs :rock:

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Better keep an eye on Mikolas as well 6-0 2.24 Era and dropping each outing.

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Better keep an eye on Mikolas as well 6-0 2.24 Era and dropping each outing.

Thanks. He looks like the frontrunner. I don't think he pitched against the Mets or perhaps I missed the game(s) he pitched. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Part of the trade could be he agrees to sign long term though. That is what I meant. Getting Chapman paid off bigtime, without him we don't win the WS IMO. When the Cubs traded for Chapman they knew he was a 1 year rental though. That trade had to be done to get us over the top.

Why would Machado agree to that. He would be losing millions on the open market. He isn't going to pass up unrestricted free agency. Some team will pay the rental price...who knows maybe the Cardinals or Brewers instead....but he isn't going to sign and trade...no way no how.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Why would Machado agree to that. He would be losing millions on the open market. He isn't going to pass up unrestricted free agency. Some team will pay the rental price...who knows maybe the Cardinals or Brewers instead....but he isn't going to sign and trade...no way no how.

I can't see St. Louis doing that. Brewers possibly. They did that several years ago when they rented C.C.Sabathia who went on to sign with the Yankees after helping the Brewers make the postseason. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs lost and so did the Cards to the Royals and so did the Pirates to the Reds. Of course the BrewCrew won, they never lose. I am surprised they aren't 49-0 instead of 30-19 the way they have been playing :spit:=Me looking at the BrewCrew highlights. Could've sworn it was the 61 Yankees playing :billiejean:

42-7 they arent able to beat the Cubs it seems haha 

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Brewers possibly", That's all I need :funny:

Are they that much better than the Cubs? I will have to watch them this week when they play the Mets. Thankfully Machado won't be there. 

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are they that much better than the Cubs? I will have to watch them this week when they play the Mets. Thankfully Machado won't be there. 

I really don't think they are better than the Cubs but are pesky and Good. They keep winning too, maybe they will fade as the season goes on but who knows? Luckily we just beat them 4 straight games like a month ago otherwise we would be 5 or 6 games out of 1st already.

-Brewers won again today 9-2 over the D-Backs. lmao 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I can't see St. Louis doing that. Brewers possibly. They did that several years ago when they rented C.C.Sabathia who went on to sign with the Yankees after helping the Brewers make the postseason. 

Agreed its not a move the Cardinals would make...which is exactly why we shouldn't lol.....Cards have always been one step ahead of the Cubs. I think we have good people in charge right now. We traded some talent for Chapman because we had a glut of young guys blocked at the AAA stage. We don't have that now...still lots of talent but I don't think we are as close to winning a WS as we were a couple years ago...the pitching isn't as strong...the make up mentally isn't as strong. Honestly it seems the Cubs have been hung over since that last WS win. They just don't play with that same hunger. Next off season I'm all for making moves....I just don't want band aid fixes.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed its not a move the Cardinals would make...which is exactly why we shouldn't lol.....Cards have always been one step ahead of the Cubs. I think we have good people in charge right now. We traded some talent for Chapman because we had a glut of young guys blocked at the AAA stage. We don't have that now...still lots of talent but I don't think we are as close to winning a WS as we were a couple years ago...the pitching isn't as strong...the make up mentally isn't as strong. Honestly it seems the Cubs have been hung over since that last WS win. They just don't play with that same hunger. Next off season I'm all for making moves....I just don't want band aid fixes.

"Honestly it seems the Cubs have been hung over since that last WS win". - I agree with this 100%. People that don't watch them everyday like we do dont see it. They just assume because we have Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Russ, and Schwarber we are Great. They assume Lester is what he was 2 years ago and Darvish walks on water. Last year and this year so far, I have seen some very lackluster games out of the Cubs. Something I didn't see at all in 2016 when we went 103-58. The only time I had my doubt in 2016 we wouldn't win it all was when we were down 3-1 to the Indians in the WS. I think most people were worried at that point though. We still came back and won that even.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is with how inconsistent the Cubs have been, if the season ended today the Cubs would still make the Playoffs as the final WC Spot % points ahead of a few teams. The NL Standings are so bunched up, the parity is unbelievable right now.

Sure is. They are all bunched up in the East and in the Central.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Honestly it seems the Cubs have been hung over since that last WS win". - I agree with this 100%. People that don't watch them everyday like we do dont see it. They just assume because we have Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Russ, and Schwarber we are Great. They assume Lester is what he was 2 years ago and Darvish walks on water. Last year and this year so far, I have seen some very lackluster games out of the Cubs. Something I didn't see at all in 2016 when we went 103-58. The only time I had my doubt in 2016 we wouldn't win it all was when we were down 3-1 to the Indians in the WS. I think most people were worried at that point though. We still came back and won that even.

No doubt. The Cubs don’t have that mental sharpness. That hunger for success to prove themselves. Kind of full of themselves. I can understand that running over into last year but they should have had some hunger to get that success back this year and I don’t see it. Just kind o coasting on their talent. Madden is a good manager but he needs to turn that attitude around or else management may have to ship some guys out to make a statement.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt. The Cubs don’t have that mental sharpness. That hunger for success to prove themselves. Kind of full of themselves. I can understand that running over into last year but they should have had some hunger to get that success back this year and I don’t see it. Just kind o coasting on their talent. Madden is a good manager but he needs to turn that attitude around or else management may have to ship some guys out to make a statement.

A funny thing happened when I went to mom's on Mothers Day. Cubs lost to the Braves that Sunday. My step-dad and I were talking about it and out of nowhere my mom looked at me and said the Cubs suck this year don't they :funny:. I looked at her and said where did that come from? She said, I know I watch a little and they are nothing like they were when they won it all. She said, that team was unbeatable. I walked away thinking, damn even my mom thinks the Cubs are Bad!

Archived