Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, NFLfan said:

I have not been to a baseball game in about 2 years. I did not go last year. I used to go several times a year. So, yes, I am excited. We get free Mets t-shirts too as a promotion.  Five of us are going; so, it should be fun. Maybe I will share a few pics. 

I would like to attend games at other stadiums. I still have not been to the new Yankees Stadium. I liked the old stadium a lot. It was a shame that they had to tear it down. It was great. I have never been to Fenway or Wrigley. PuntersArePeopleToo said he was looking to attend a game in every stadium.

Yep will be hitting up Fenway in July and hopefully SF and Oakland in August

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, NFLfan said:

I was looking forward to going to the Diamondbacks at Mets game on Friday but it looks like it will rain all day and night on Friday. It has been raining most of the week. This will have to be postponed. :thmdown:

Mets split a two-game series with the Jays. They are off tomorrow before the series with Arizona.

Well if we don't get some rain soon it will start to head towards drought after all the major rain we had earlier in the year. Hope you get to see your game. The Cards won tonight after a 95 min rain delay 12 - 4 . We have been bit big time by injuries Dejong went down last night with broken finger . Giving some younger players the chance to come up and contribute.

49 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Well if we don't get some rain soon it will start to head towards drought after all the major rain we had earlier in the year. Hope you get to see your game. The Cards won tonight after a 95 min rain delay 12 - 4 . We have been bit big time by injuries Dejong went down last night with broken finger . Giving some younger players the chance to come up and contribute.

Yeah I see the Cards got to Jake last night, they are now 24-18, Cubs 23-18. Pirates lost to drop to 26-18 but the pesky BrewCrew won and are in 1st at 27-18. All 4 teams have 18 losses, how odd is that?

3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

We got no rain at all. The Mets won 3-1 with a dominant pitching performance by Jacob deGrom. He had 13 Ks. 

Injuries seem to bite some teams. The Mets lost Juan Legares, their best defensive outfielder who also was hitting well. He is out for the year after tearing ligaments in his foot in the last game against the Jays earlier this week.

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We got no rain at all. The Mets won 3-1 with a dominant pitching performance by Jacob deGrom. He had 13 Ks. 

Injuries seem to bite some teams. The Mets lost Juan Legares, their best defensive outfielder who also was hitting well. He is out for the year after tearing ligaments in his foot in the last game against the Jays earlier this week.

Yeah that is a bad injury to Legares, tough to hear things like that. Glad you got to enjoy your game, DeGrom is on a roll.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs won 8-1 over the Reds, Pirates lost tonight finally. Still 2 games out of 1st in the NL Central due to the BrewCrew winning.

I was at the game. Reds fell back to earth after their west coast series haha. Homer looked completely lost and confused. Cubbies fans were cool to hang out with though, we were singing and dancing in the long delaying rain! 

Cubs are looking great: I’d say they are close to midseason form. At least they made the game exciting.

11 hours ago, GOZER said:

Cubs lose, Wilson really showing his “stuff” for the Cubs......can we give him his triple A assignment  already?

Yeah Wilson handed them Game 1 - that was terrible! We got them in Game 2 10-0 though. So we split the doubleheader. BrewCrew won again so we are 2.5 back in the NL Central entering Sunday,

Standings going into May 20th

BrewCrew 28-18

Pirates 26-19 (1.5 back)

Cards 24-19 (2.5 back)

Cubs 24-19 (2.5 back)

Reds 16-31 (12.5 back)

-I had a feeling the BrewCrew would be Good this year, they were last season. Cards and Cubs have the same record.

16 hours ago, GOZER said:

Cubs lose, Wilson really showing his “stuff” for the Cubs......can we give him his triple A assignment  already?

Lol your beginning to get disgusted with certain people like I do Brother . In my book you are either performing or your not. The time to bring it is now if your not ready you go back down , if your a vet and not performing there is a place on the pines for you . You want to play ? Earn your way back into the Starting line-up . You want to manage ? Do it to the best of your ability don't let salary or ego get in the way . If you cant do this , hit the street lol walking isn't crowded.

I'm not worried about the Cards if they stay within striking distance , even with the injuries,  Peoples bats are waking up , pitching staff has been hurt by injury depleting the pen . Cards will get a boost when Martinez returns and Wainright is on 60 day IMO time to hang it Adam and move to coaching . The 28th opens the door for the monster most of us knew the Cards own IMO on this will move right into the rotation and there wont be a hiccup in how he is performing.  https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/alex-reyes-fans-13-in-rehab-start/c-277509612  This in itself will help the pen bigtime . 

The key to Reyes was they were wise and took their time , held him out of spring let him build his arm completely back to strength before he ever took the mound. It looks like it will pay dividends . In my opinion that kid will be better than Martinez may be the best the Cards have had since Gibson and Carlton . Is that tall talk you bet , but I have watched them all and this kid is a combo of both wrapped into one.

The Mets won in walk off fashion last night. They got a 2-run homer in the 8th to tie and won in the bottom of the 9th on a sacrifice fly. That was the first time since mid-April that they had won 2 in a row. That is over a month! 

Hope the wins continue. They have Syndergaard pitching today against Clay Buchholz. 

Good luck to your teams too. :thmup:

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol your beginning to get disgusted with certain people like I do Brother . In my book you are either performing or your not. The time to bring it is now if your not ready you go back down , if your a vet and not performing there is a place on the pines for you . You want to play ? Earn your way back into the Starting line-up . You want to manage ? Do it to the best of your ability don't let salary or ego get in the way . If you cant do this , hit the street lol walking isn't crowded.

Wilson had me so mad yesterday, you don't even want to know how mad. That was a pathetic display :facepalm:

Really interesting day in the NL Central. BrewCrew and Pirates both lost, Cubs and Cards both win. BrewCrew finally lost, about time :thmup:

NL Central Standings after May 20th games

BrewCrew 28-19

Cards 25-19 (1.5 back)

Cubs 25-19 (1.5 back)

Pirates 26-20 (1.5 back)

Reds 16-32 (12.5 back)

-The top 3 teams all have 19 losses, Cards and Cubs have the same record. Pirates are % points behind the Cards and Cubs. To me the Cubs have been shaky (Good but shaky) so far this season, so to only be 1.5 games out of 1st is a Good sign. They have yet to play their best Baseball.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Cubbies fans, what do you think about the possibility of acquiring Manny Machado? The rumors are out there that the Cubs have strong interest. Are you ready to get rid of A. Russell? 

I like Russ but Machado is an MVP candidate. Not sure what the Cubs would have to give up besides Russ to get him? That would be a definite upgrade at SS.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Russ but Machado is an MVP candidate. Not sure what the Cubs would have to give up besides Russ to get him? That would be a definite upgrade at SS.

The Cubs will have to give up a top prospect.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am good with it, Machado is only 25. He is batting .347 with 14 HR and 42 RBI so far this season. Those numbers are unreal.

They sure are. Why would a team give up on a young guy of his age? The Orioles could afford him. Does he have Boras as an agent?

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good ol Boras! I have no idea why the Orioles would want to trade him.

Well if you get Machado and a pitcher, the Cubs will be hard to beat. On Friday, this sports radio host who is a Yankees fan said the Mets should trade deGrom and Syndergaard. There is no way we do that. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Well if you get Machado and a pitcher, the Cubs will be hard to beat. On Friday, this sports radio host who is a Yankees fan said the Mets should trade deGrom and Syndergaard. There is no way we do that. 

I would take either deGrom or Syndergaard, want some more prospects? :)

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take either deGrom or Syndergaard, want some more prospects? :)

:nono:   I will give you Lugo or Matz. If you offer some top prospects, I may consider trading Familia. But not Thor or deGrom.

I did some research looking back at the Cubs WS run in 2016 vs the Dodgers and Indians in 13 games combined. Here were the Cubs numbers in those 2 series combined. 13 games played overall which is a pretty good sample size on the biggest stages, here IMO would be their best lineup:

CF - Fowler = .281, 3 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB

LF - Schwarber = .412, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 SB (that was in 5 games)

3B - Bryant = .286, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB

1B - Rizzo = .340, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 SB

SS - Russell = .245, 3 HR, 13 RBI, 0 SB

RF - Zobrist = .271, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 0 SB

2B - Baez = .231, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 2 SB

C - Contreras = .182, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 0 SB

P - Jake Arrieta = 2-1, 2.29 ERA (Righty) (3 games total)

Mid Relief - Montgomery = 1-0, 2.98 ERA (Lefty) (9 games total)

Closer - Chapman = 2-0, 1 Save, 2.63 ERA (Lefty) (9 games total)

-The Infield Defense is real solid with Russell, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras, and Bryant. Great chemistry there.

-In DH situations I would bat Heyward 9th, he only batted .111 with no HR's, 1 RBI, but he did have 4 SB's in the 2 series combined.

Archived