Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah people should take notice on how we Post in here on this Thread, they may learn something valuable. Who wants to bicker and be negative all the time. On this Thread that doesn't fly!

Yes I have come to realize life is to short for all the nonsense . 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes I have come to realize life is to short for all the nonsense . 

It surely is my friend. I don't Post near as much on the Football Threads anymore. I used to Post a ton but too much nonsense on them with negativity. I still chime in on them a little but the Luck Threads and negativity on some other Colts Threads just gets me annoyed, so I just avoid them a lot anymore. On this Thread, most of us even have different favorite teams and get along. How funny is that?

@Jay Kirk and @NFLfan name your 5 favorite players on your favorite team of all-time. Jay yours is the Cards, NFL yours is the Mets. I am just going to go by from what I have seen live regarding the Cubs and since I became a fan which was 1984. Here are my Top 5 favorite Cubs since 1984:

5. Anthony Rizzo - What's not to love about this guy. He was the 2nd best player on the 2016 Championship team and does so much charitable work for Chicago.

4. Andre Dawson - He was such a joy to watch in 1987 with his 49 HR's and winning NL MVP.

3. Jake Arrieta - My favorite Cubs Pitcher of all-time. As a Cub his record was 68-31 and he was ICE in the 2016 WS going 2-0.

2. Ryne Sandberg - HOFame 2nd Baseman and a huge reason why I became a Cubs fan in 1984. He won NL MVP in 1984.

1. Kris Bryant - He was the 2016 NL MVP and best player on a team that hadn't won a Championship in 108 years = the 2016 team. He is #1 in my book! Very humble kid.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jay Kirk and @NFLfan name your 5 favorite players on your favorite team of all-time. Jay yours is the Cards, NFL yours is the Mets. I am just going to go by from what I have seen live regarding the Cubs and since I became a fan which was 1984. Here are my Top 5 favorite Cubs since 1984:

That is hard. I have liked so many. In no particular order, some of my favorite were:

1) David Wright -- He was the closest to a HoF player who was home-grown. He hit for power and for average, something rare in Mets history.  He might be my favorite. He was a class act and represented the team well. 

2) Jose Reyes -- he is a close second. While other teams' fans and opposing players disliked him, I liked him a lot. He brought a lot of energy to the team. He scored lots of runs. When he was coming to bat, I believed we would get something going.

3) Dwight Gooden (when he was playing) -- for a long time, he was my favorite Mets player. He had electric stuff and won a lot of games for us. It is a shame what he did to himself. 

4) Robin Ventura -- I don't know why but I liked Ventura before he came to the Mets. He seemed humble and was a very good player. This moment below brought me great joy.

5) Al Leiter -- He was a very good pitcher for us and won a lot of key games. I had a soft spot for him for some reason and I got to like him more and more as he pitched for the Mets.

Lots of folks I am forgetting. One utility guy I absolutely loved was Joe McEwing. I also liked Cliff Floyd, Howard Johnson and Greg Jeffries. I can go on and on; so I will stop here. :)

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is hard. I have liked so many. In no particular order, some of my favorite were:

1) David Wright -- He was the closest to a HoF player who was home-grown. He hit for power and for average, something rare in Mets history.  He might be my favorite. He was a class act and represented the team well. 

2) Jose Reyes -- he is a close second. While other teams' fans and opposing players disliked him, I liked him a lot. He brought a lot of energy to the team. He scored lots of runs. When he was coming to bat, I believed we would get something going.

3) Dwight Gooden (when he was playing) -- for a long time, he was my favorite Mets player. He had electric stuff and won a lot of games for us. It is a shame what he did to himself. 

4) Robin Ventura -- I don't know why but I liked Ventura before he came to the Mets. He seemed humble and was a very good player. This moment below brought me great joy.

5) Al Leiter -- He was a very good pitcher for us and won a lot of key games. I had a soft spot for him for some reason and I got to like him more and more as he pitched for the Mets.

Lots of folks I am forgetting. One utility guy I absolutely loved was Joe McEwing. I also liked Cliff Floyd, Howard Johnson and Greg Jeffries. I can go on and on; so I will stop here. :)

I am out of LIKES but love your list of your favorites. All 5 players you named were not only Good to Great players but likeable and exciting to watch.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am out of LIKES but love your list of your favorites. All 5 players you named were not only Good to Great players but likeable and exciting to watch.

I am out of Likes too. Lol. They must give fewer than 50. I don't recall using 50 likes today

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

5. Anthony Rizzo - What's not to love about this guy. He was the 2nd best player on the 2016 Championship team and does so much charitable work for Chicago.

4. Andre Dawson - He was such a joy to watch in 1987 with his 49 HR's and winning NL MVP.

3. Jake Arrieta - My favorite Cubs Pitcher of all-time. As a Cub his record was 68-31 and he was ICE in the 2016 WS going 2-0.

2. Ryne Sandberg - HOFame 2nd Baseman and a huge reason why I became a Cubs fan in 1984. He won NL MVP in 1984.

1. Kris Bryant - He was the 2016 NL MVP and best player on a team that hadn't won a Championship in 108 years = the 2016 team. He is #1 in my book! Very humble kid.

Wow lol I'm a history buff so I'm gonna have to try since I can remember following . Bob Gibson Lou Brock Willie McGee Ozzie Smith A tie between Pujos and Molina . I honestly feel I'm slighting so very many players .There are so many before my time I could easily put on the list and plenty after .

Going into todays games the Cubs are just a Half game out of 1st place. The Pirates are on fire right now. Here are the current NL Central Standings:

Cards 22-15 (L1)

Pirates 23-16 (W5) tied for 1st

Cubs 21-15 (W5) 0.5 back

BrewCrew 23-17 (L1) 0.5 back

Reds 13-27 (W5) 10.5 back

-Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there.

6 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Wow lol I'm a history buff so I'm gonna have to try since I can remember following . Bob Gibson Lou Brock Willie McGee Ozzie Smith A tie between Pujos and Molina . I honestly feel I'm slighting so very many players .There are so many before my time I could easily put on the list and plenty after .

That is a great bunch of players. The Cardinals have had so many Hall of Fame players.

7 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yeah that list of 5 is a Great list + Molina as well. Great stuff! It was tough for me to decide who to leave off my 5 when doing my Cubs list because I could've listed 10. That is why I made the list tough to do.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Decade awards for the 2000's, 2000-2009:

-Team of the Decade = New York Yankees. They won 2 WS in the decade (2000 and 2009). The 2000 Yankees are the last team to Repeat. It was a 3Peat! I chose them over the Boston RedSox who won 2 WS as well (2004 and 2007) because the Yankees had a 3Peat team in 2000 and the best single season team of the decade in 2009.

-Best Single Season Team of the Decade to win it all = 2009 New York Yankees. They went 103-59 and won the WS.

-Best Player of the Decade = Derek Jeter (I don't believe he ever touched a steroid). Jeter's average was .317 for the decade, he made the All-Star Team 8 seasons during the decade, was a 2-Time World Champion in 2000 and 2009 in the decade, won 2000 WS MVP, and won 4 Gold Gloves that decade 2004-2006 and 2009.

*It was a Yankees decade to be remembered.

2010-2017 so far, only 2 seasons left in the decade - 2018 and 2019:

-Team of the Decade = SF Giants. They have won 3 WS so far this decade in 2010, 2012, and 2014.

-Best Single Season Team of the Decade to win it all = 2016 Chicago Cubs. They went 103-58 and won the WS.

-Best Player of the Decade = Madison Bumgarner. He has been 4-0 in WS games with a Save, 8-3 overall in the Post Season, is a 3-Time World Champion this decade, and won 2014 WS MVP.

*This holds as of now with only 2 seasons to go in 2018 and 2019.

Here is my 90's edition of the best's of the decade, 1990-1999:

-Team of the Decade = New York Yankees. They won 3 WS in the decade (1996, 1998, and 1999).

-Best Single Season Team of the Decade to win it all = 1998 New York Yankees. They went 114-48 and won the WS.

-Best Player of the Decade = Greg Maddux. He had a Regular Season record of 176-88 during the decade. He was also a 1995 World Champion. It was a decade of up's and down's, the Strike in 1994 ended the season so we had no WS Champion in 94. Also it was the decade of the steroid era with Jose Conseco, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and many others. I gave the Player of the Decade to a Pitcher because I believe Maddux never touched a steroid.

18 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think you have a great 5 I could add to your list as well

14 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yeah I had - Rizzo 5, Dawson 4, Arrieta 3, Sandberg 2, and Bryant 1. If I was too add a 6th it would be Maddux. Eventhough he had most of great seasons with the Braves, he did have a couple of great seasons with the Cubs and I hated to see him not being a Cub anymore. He was real likeable and a Great Pitcher.

27 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I started watching baseball in high school. I never got to see Seaver, Koosman, Rusty Staub (RIP), and others. Two that are glaring omissions are Strawberry and Piazza. They were not among my favorite players but I respected them. I could have included Piazza. There are a lot of pitchers I left out (Ojeda, Darling, Turk Wendell, and some of the young guys we have now). I am sure there are others I left out.

The 1999 Mets team was one of my favorite. I liked a lot of the players. They had one of the best infield defenses in the history of baseball as far as errors go. Three of the infielders won Gold Gloves. That team also hit pretty well. Lots of guys at .300 and over. Very rare for a Mets team.

Btw, hope you had a happy anniversary yesterday. 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I started watching baseball in high school. I never got to see Seaver, Koosman, Rusty Staub (RIP), and others. Two that are glaring omissions are Strawberry and Piazza. They were not among my favorite players but I respected them. I could have included Piazza. There are a lot of pitchers I left out (Ojeda, Darling, Turk Wendell, and some of the young guys we have now). I am sure there are others I left out.

The 1999 Mets team was one of my favorite. I liked a lot of the players. They had one of the best infield defenses in the history of baseball as far as errors go. Three of the infielders won Gold Gloves. That team also hit pretty well. Lots of guys at .300 and over. Very rare for a Mets team.

Btw, hope you had a happy anniversary yesterday. 

We did thank you , hope you had a good Mothers day

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I have to see. Was Pedro Martinez pitching in the 1990s? He was great.

Yes they started around the same time , Pedro was very good but if you look over the long haul Maddux doesn't really come up short to anyone alltime , is one of the greats . 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tough loss, Braves 6 Cubs 5. Bryant had a chance but lined out with bases loaded in the 9th. Cant come through everytime. I am very disappointed in our Pitching. When Bryant put us ahead 4-3 our Pitching should've held it. This Cubs team is going to be up and down all season unfortunately.

Still early lol time will tell

29 minutes ago, GOZER said:

A8D8B0A8-34A0-471B-A012-EF9AF41017DE.jpeg

We just pulled a Braves on the Braves. Came back and stole one in the 9th by winning 3-2. Huge win, Cards also lost so both teams are 22-17 as of now. We need the Brewers to lose, they have been red hot at 25-17. They are playing the D-Backs tonight and it is 1-1 in the 5th right now.

I was looking forward to going to the Diamondbacks at Mets game on Friday but it looks like it will rain all day and night on Friday. It has been raining most of the week. This will have to be postponed. :thmdown:

Mets split a two-game series with the Jays. They are off tomorrow before the series with Arizona.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I was looking forward to going to the Diamondbacks at Mets game on Friday but it looks like it will rain all day and night on Friday. It has been raining most of the week. This will have to be postponed. :thmdown:

Mets split a two-game series with the Jays. They are off tomorrow before the series with Arizona.

That will stink if it gets rained out. Your plans will be ruined. The way the D-Backs are playing, Mets may win that series.

Looks like Cubs are going to lose tonight. Everyone else in the Division won, so we are looking at being 2 games out of 1st after tonight. The Cubs had the same problem tonight they have had all season, get a couple of guys on with no Outs and cant get any Runs across. Once again the 8th Inning was Bad too Pitching wise. It was like that last season as well.

Like I was chatting with Jay about, Cubs are going to show signs of brilliance this season and signs of inconsistent Bad play. Up and Down! Hey it could be worse, I could be a Dodgers fan :lol:, they lost again tonight to the Marlins! Dodgers are now 16-26 on the season :facepalm:. Pressure is at least off of the Cubs too regarding winning a WS, we just won one in 2016, Dodgers haven't won one since 1988. Indians haven't won one since 1948 either so the curse is on those 2 teams now!

Here's some History 101 and some fun facts. Remember how many mocked the Cubs for not winning a WS in 108 seasons? They finally ended that drought in the 2016 Season. To show everyone how hard it is to win a WS, look at these teams that haven't won a WS in at least 25 seasons as we are in the 2018 Season now. That is a QTR of a Century.

Longest drought's without a WS win

1. Indians = 1948

2. Rangers = Franchise started in 1961, never have won a WS.

3. Brewers = Franchise started in 1969, never have won a WS.

T3. Nationals = Franchise started in 1969 as well, never have won a WS.

T3. Padres = Franchise started in 1969 as well, never have won a WS.

6. Mariners = Franchise started in 1977, never have won a WS.

7. Pirates = 1979

8. Orioles = 1983

9. Tigers = 1984

10. Mets = 1986

11. Dodgers = 1988

12. A's = 1989

13. Reds = 1990

14. Twins = 1991

15. Blue Jays = 1993

-There are 30 teams in the MLB and half of them haven't won a WS in 25 seasons or more counting 2018! Imagine having a favorite team and them not winning a WS for at least a QTR of a Century? I have been a Cubs fan since the 1984 Season so I had to wait 33 seasons to celebrate. 

Recent WS Champions (recent history) = last 5 seasons

2013 - Red Sox 

2014 - Giants

2015 - Royals

2016 - Cubs

2017 - Astros

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That will stink if it gets rained out. Your plans will be ruined. The way the D-Backs are playing, Mets may win that series.

We had planned to go but had not putchased the tickets yet. We were monitoring the forecast and noticed that lots of rain was predicted for tomorrow. Today, we decided to take a chance and we bought the tickets. Our seats are under cover so that if it starts to rain, we can stay dry.

We have Jacob deGrom pitching tomorrow against Arizona's Zach Godley. I am looking forward to the game. :excited:

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We had planned to go but had not putchased the tickets yet. We were monitoring the forecast and noticed that lots of rain was predicted for tomorrow. Today, we decided to take a chance and we bought the tickets. Our seats are under cover so that if it starts to rain, we can stay dry.

We have Jacob deGrom pitching tomorrow against Arizona's Zach Godley. I am looking forward to the game. :excited:

Fun stuff, hopefully the Mets win. I know you have to be excited. I was getting ready to watch the Cubs at Braves but it's on a rain delay as of now, speaking of rain.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fun stuff, hopefully the Mets win. I know you have to be excited. I was getting ready to watch the Cubs at Braves but it's on a rain delay as of now, speaking of rain.

I have not been to a baseball game in about 2 years. I did not go last year. I used to go several times a year. So, yes, I am excited. We get free Mets t-shirts too as a promotion.  Five of us are going; so, it should be fun. Maybe I will share a few pics. 

I would like to attend games at other stadiums. I still have not been to the new Yankees Stadium. I liked the old stadium a lot. It was a shame that they had to tear it down. It was great. I have never been to Fenway or Wrigley. PuntersArePeopleToo said he was looking to attend a game in every stadium.

Archived