Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

51 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

When I was a kid I loved the Dodgers.  I was a baseball fan then.  Sill am but now I am more of a one team fan.  Back then I didn't really identify with a team so much as I did good ball.  I wrote a paper my freshman year about Sandy Koufax ... he was my baseball idol from mid 70's-late 80's.  Never saw him play, just read about him.  That was good enough.

I also liked Hershiser and Frenado Valenzuela as far as LA goes.... they were both fun to watch... two different yet effective styles.

Not sure what it was that diverted my attention to the Cubs because I really liked the Reds too during the Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan (and many more) years.  My dad was my little league coach and he used to take our whole team to Indians games, who were the Reds farm team back then as I am sure you know.  It was easy to like the Reds in those days.  The Dodgers too, they won.  Somehow dad got me into the Indians locker room after a game and all the guys signed a baseball I had taken with me.  I still have it somewhere.  Couldn't tell you one name on it... even if I had it right in front of me, lol.  It was really cool and fun... I will never forget the moment.

I didn't really become a true Cubs fan until a little later ... maybe 1990'ish.  Even though he (dad) used to take us to Cubs games too.  Dad passed in 1992 and I did not go to a game for a long time.  I think it was 2002 that my accountant took me to a Cubs game..... all of a sudden I remembered why I was a Cubs fan and why I loved baseball.  Been that way sense.... I can't imagine my spring and fall without baseball (my two favorite parts of the season).

I used to have one hell of a card collection..... including a Ricky Henderson rookie card in mint woo-whoo.  I gave what I had left to my stepson when I remarried about six years ago.

It has been rewarding being a Cubs fan over the last decade really.  But, the last three years have been special.

CBE, not sure where I was going with this, LOL.  Just thought I would share that with you.

I became a Cubs in 1984, that is really when I started watching Baseball closely at the age of 13, same year the Colts moved here oddly enough. As a teenager I was able to grasp the game a lot better in both sports and glued myself to the Colts as well. The Cubs were always on WGN and they had an exciting Great team that year too. Harry Carey's commentating made it fun to watch too. If you lived in Indy you were either a Cubs or Reds fan back then.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is Gozer but what we did was I played his stunt man and we just keep drinking beers back and forth lmao 

Just now, GOZER said:

lol hairs a little too light to be me, but gosh did we have some National Lampoon like vacations!!!!! GOOD TIMES!!!!!! Lol!!!!!

Shoot you spilled the beans!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, BR-549 said:

When I was a kid I loved the Dodgers.  I was a baseball fan then.  Sill am but now I am more of a one team fan.  Back then I didn't really identify with a team so much as I did good ball.  I wrote a paper my freshman year about Sandy Koufax ... he was my baseball idol from mid 70's-late 80's.  Never saw him play, just read about him.  That was good enough.

I also liked Hershiser and Frenado Valenzuela as far as LA goes.... they were both fun to watch... two different yet effective styles.

Not sure what it was that diverted my attention to the Cubs because I really liked the Reds too during the Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan (and many more) years.  My dad was my little league coach and he used to take our whole team to Indians games, who were the Reds farm team back then as I am sure you know.  It was easy to like the Reds in those days.  The Dodgers too, they won.  Somehow dad got me into the Indians locker room after a game and all the guys signed a baseball I had taken with me.  I still have it somewhere.  Couldn't tell you one name on it... even if I had it right in front of me, lol.  It was really cool and fun... I will never forget the moment.

I didn't really become a true Cubs fan until a little later ... maybe 1990'ish.  Even though he (dad) used to take us to Cubs games too.  Dad passed in 1992 and I did not go to a game for a long time.  I think it was 2002 that my accountant took me to a Cubs game..... all of a sudden I remembered why I was a Cubs fan and why I loved baseball.  Been that way sense.... I can't imagine my spring and fall without baseball (my two favorite parts of the season).

I used to have one hell of a card collection..... including a Ricky Henderson rookie card in mint woo-whoo.  I gave what I had left to my stepson when I remarried about six years ago.

It has been rewarding being a Cubs fan over the last decade really.  But, the last three years have been special.

CBE, not sure where I was going with this, LOL.  Just thought I would share that with you.

My Pops was a HUGE Fernando "El Toro" Valenzuela fan....I remember us watching Dodger games on TV to watch him pitch many times. Pops always seemed so proud to see someone from the same area of Mexico that he was from making it in the Big Leagues! He was actually inducted into the hall of fame in 2014! Many good memories!!!!

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Great stuff! I love these type of stories. Thank you for sharing!.

Recent history:

2014 = Giants over Royals 4-3 in the World Series

2015 = Royals over Mets 4-1 in the World Series

2016 = Cubs over Indians 4-3 in the World Series

2017 = Astros over Dodgers 4-3 in the World Series

NL MVP's

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Bryce Harper

2016 = Kris Bryant

Who should win it in 2017?

AL MVP's

2014 = Mike Trout

2015 = Josh Donaldson

2016 = Mike Trout

NL Cy Young winners

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Jake Arrieta

2016 = Max Scherzer

AL Cy Young winners

2014 = Corey Kluber

2015 = Dallas Keuchel

2016 = Rick Porcello

10 hours ago, GOZER said:

My Pops was a HUGE Fernando "El Toro" Valenzuela fan....I remember us watching Dodger games on TV to watch him pitch many times. Pops always seemed so proud to see someone from the same area of Mexico that he was from making it in the Big Leagues! He was actually inducted into the hall of fame in 2014! Many good memories!!!!

Very cool, remember how he rolled his eyes back in his head as he was winding up?  Dude was good!  I did not know he is in the HOF.  I dont really follow that part of it too closely.  

In my mind he had a reasonably short career, but that may just be me.  Glad you have those memories.  

Nothing like a father son baseball camaraderie.... made for lots of good relationships across the nation.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would've been the cherry on top of the Sundae - Old Style lmao How about Hans or Pabst Blue Ribbon haha 

11 hours ago, GOZER said:

Too bad that's not an Old Style he's drinking!!!

When you go to Wrigley you have to have at least one Old Style (like it or not)  .... good tradition.

A guy in our neighborhood (the country was our neighborhood) would buy up a bunch of PBR and then sell it on Sundays.  We called it bootleg beer back then, I suppose that is what it was.  You would get a paper grocery sack (Marsh usually) with 24 cans of PBR for like $25.  That was when a case of beer was $12.  If he liked you he might throw a couple extra ones in, lol.

I was back in the area a month ago or so, his house has been razed and is all farmland now.  Funny how things change over generations.  I am sure someone in that burg is carrying on his legacy and selling PBR on Sundays.  

Nothing more depressing than waking up Sunday morning on a NFL Sunday and realizing you forgot to buy beer yesterday..... Indiana needs to get up to speed with the program on that regard.  Who cares?  One of the many things I like about Ohio.

Sorry, I don't have anything on Hams, lol

35 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

In my mind he had a reasonably short career, but that may just be me. 

Pretty short.......17 seasons, six different teams! lol! I do remember the sideways eye roll, he also was a big fan of the "screwball," used it quite a bit!

19 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

When you go to Wrigley you have to have at least one Old Style (like it or not)  .... good tradition.

Oh yeah Baby!!! Gotta have a Chicago style hot dog too, fully dressed!  (No ketchup unless you want to be killed, lol). Couple of the bars in town keep Old Style on tap and one of the liquor stores keeps a small stock of it during baseball season, keeps us Diehards happy!!!!

1 hour ago, GOZER said:

Pretty short.......17 seasons, six different teams! lol! I do remember the sideways eye roll, he also was a big fan of the "screwball," used it quite a bit!

Maybe I thought that because he was on so many teams and I stopped seeing him or lost track.  I had in my mind under ten years..... time goes fast.

Great screwball

Hey, on a side note, Purdue looked like a decent team this past week.  Hate it that we lost our QB, but Sindilar isn't bad by any means.  It will just make it easier for other coaches to prepare for one QB.  

The bucket game should be a good one this year... can't wait.

We need two more games to become bowl eligible .... don't think we are beating Iowa so that leaves IU and NW.  Have to have those two.  It would be a pretty impressive turnaround in just one year for Brohm.  But even if we don't win another game our team was competitive in all the games at least and going nowhere but up from here.

20 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Maybe I thought that because he was on so many teams and I stopped seeing him or lost track.  I had in my mind under ten years..... time goes fast.

Great screwball

Hey, on a side note, Purdue looked like a decent team this past week.  Hate it that we lost our QB, but Sindilar isn't bad by any means.  It will just make it easier for other coaches to prepare for one QB.  

The bucket game should be a good one this year... can't wait.

We need two more games to become bowl eligible .... don't think we are beating Iowa so that leaves IU and NW.  Have to have those two.  It would be a pretty impressive turnaround in just one year for Brohm.  But even if we don't win another game our team was competitive in all the games at least and going nowhere but up from here.

Still not sure I understand why they didn't follow through with the targeting penalty? Hope he recovers, bad deal. I do think Sindelar is the better of the two, so hopefully he proves it the next few games!!!  It has definitely been a better season under Brohm, can't wait to see what he's got in store for next year! Would be great to get into a bowl game, but like you said, they've been competitive and are trending upwards IMO. I hope they put a WHOOPIN on IU!!!

1 minute ago, GOZER said:

Still not sure I understand why they didn't follow through with the targeting penalty? Hope he recovers, bad deal. I do think Sindelar is the better of the two, so hopefully he proves it the next few games!!!  It has definitely been a better season under Brohm, can't wait to see what he's got in store for next year! Would be great to get into a bowl game, but like you said, they've been competitive and are trending upwards IMO. I hope they put a WHOOPIN on IU!!!

That was targeting.. it has been called for lesser hits.... bizarre 

Not sure how he didn't end up with a concussion too.  His head took two hard hits plus bounced off the ground at the end of the play.  Being grass and not turf (concrete) may have helped.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Roy Halliday = RIP

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah just read that, plane crash. He was only 40 RIP

Just awful news. I was always a fan of Halladay. I thought he was a Hall of Famer when he was with the Jays. He was great when he was with the Phils too but he was oft injured.  My oh my. Too much bad news lately. 

RIP

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Just awful news. I was always a fan of Halladay. I thought he was a Hall of Famer when he was with the Jays. He was great when he was with the Phils too but he was oft injured.  My oh my. Too much bad news lately. 

RIP

Yeah very sad, only 40 years old too. He is definitely a Hall of Famer.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:56 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Recent history:

2014 = Giants over Royals 4-3 in the World Series

2015 = Royals over Mets 4-1 in the World Series

2016 = Cubs over Indians 4-3 in the World Series

2017 = Astros over Dodgers 4-3 in the World Series

NL MVP's

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Bryce Harper

2016 = Kris Bryant

AL MVP's

2014 = Mike Trout

2015 = Josh Donaldson

2016 = Mike Trout

NL Cy Young winners

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Jake Arrieta

2016 = Max Scherzer

AL Cy Young winners

2014 = Corey Kluber

2015 = Dallas Keuchel

2016 = Rick Porcello

It will be interesting to see if Altuve or Judge wins AL MVP.

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What are the rumors? Are there any rumored trade partners or only that the Cubs are looking to trade Heyward?

Latest rumor is we are trying to trade him to the Giants for Pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Mark Melancon. Cubs have also made an offer to Jake for 17.4 Mill a year as well. That is just for 1 year though.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Latest rumor is we are trying to trade him to the Giants for Pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Mark Melancon. Cubs have also made an offer to Jake for 17.4 Mill a year as well.

The Cubs want Jeff Samardzija back... I remember when Samardzija was a kicker or punter for Notre Dame football. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Cubs want Jeff Samardzija back... I remember when Samardzija was a kicker or punter for Notre Dame football. 

Trying to add depth to the Pitching Staff. The offer to Jake was a 1 year deal for 17.4. Jake probably wants a huge deal so we may lose him unless Theo offers him a 3 or 4 year deal. We are loaded with guys that can play the Outfield so I am ok if we trade Heyward for more Pitching.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Vegas odds for next season's 2018 WS Champs:

Dodgers 5-1

Astros 6-1

Indians 6-1

Nationals 7-1

Yankees 8-1

Cubs 10-1

RedSox 10-1

Cardinals 20-1

Mets 20-1

DBacks 20-1

Lol little early before FA's and winter meetings .

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trying to add depth to the Pitching Staff. The offer to Jake was a 1 year deal for 17.4. Jake probably wants a huge deal so we may lose him unless Theo offers him a 3 or 4 year deal. We are loaded with guys that can play the Outfield so I am ok if we trade Heyward for more Pitching.

This is the only reason I'd be ok with it, for better pitching. Heyward is a great glove in the outfield, and a leader in the dugout, but his bat has been very questionable lately. I think he would definitely draw some good trades. Rumor is Russell and  Happ are getting shopped around too.

1 minute ago, GOZER said:

This is the only reason I'd be ok with it, for better pitching(Heyward trade). Heyward is a great glove in the outfield, and a leader in the dugout, but his bat has been very questionable lately. I think he would definitely draw some good trades. Rumor is Russell and  Happ are getting shopped around too.

Just now, GOZER said:

This is the only reason I'd be ok with it, for better pitching. Heyward is a great glove in the outfield, and a leader in the dugout, but his bat has been very questionable lately. I think he would definitely draw some good trades. Rumor is Russell and  Happ are getting shopped around too.

I want to keep Russ, Russ is Very Good. If we can get better Pitching for Happ than I would explore that. I don't want to lose Russ though.

Archived