Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Will the Cards , Pirates , Reds be able to dethrone the Cubs in the Central ? Mets or Nationals in the east ? Dodgers in west ? Would love to have input from you American League fans this year. Looking forward to another fun year in the MLB

Here's my take on the Cubs. They had a special season with 103 wins and to be able to win Game 6 and 7 on the road to win the World Series is unheard of. Their 103-58 record was the 2nd best record in the Regular Season of any WS Champ over the last 30 seasons (1987-2016). The 1998 Yankees were the only team that has been better going back 30 seasons. I bring this up because I don't see them being as dominant, losing Fowler and Chapman bothers me a bit. I do love the Davis pickup but he isn't Chapman IMO. I do think the Cubs will win the Division again but I see them around 95 wins. 95-67 sounds about right. I think the Cards will be a threat to the Cubs in the Division and win at least 90 games. I see the Cards at around 92-70 but this is all guess work as the season is a ways away. Cards picking up Fowler was huge for them. Predictions are based on key players staying healthy as well. The Dodgers and Giants both will be Playoff teams again IMO, they both should win 90 games. Dodgers have Kershaw and Giants have MadBum. In the AL the only 2 teams that scare me are the Indians because their Pitching will get healthy again and they just picked up Encarnacion. They gave the Cubs everything they could handle in the WS. The RedSox are the other team that would scare me in a WS. They have made nice additions to their team as well.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jay is this Thread you want all of us to Post on now? If so please let NFLFAN know and some of the others so they know this is the new Baseball Thread.

Yes it is , reason I posted link in other one , time to shut down 2016 and move on to 2017. It will be little time and Spring Training will be on us.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Was just watching MLB network it seems the  Cards are really in the Dozier sweepstakes , Lol you never know though to their credit the Cards keep the business hush hush till a moves actually been made.

That is why I want to hold off how I rank all the teams for now, because more moves are coming.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As a huge baseball fan, I'll chat with you guys about baseball all year. Look forward to some fun conversations! Go Braves!

Glad to have you its been a fun thread the last few years . Good conversations without the drama lol. Most of us have our own favorite teams , however the bulk of us are just outright fans of the game. Has really been a classy bunch of people. Look forward to your input and keeping us informed on the Braves

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

Glad to have you its been a fun thread the last few years . Good conversations without the drama lol. Most of us have our own favorite teams , however the bulk of us are just outright fans of the game. Has really been a classy bunch of people. Look forward to your input and keeping us informed on the Braves

Absolutely, will do my best. I play a lot of fantasy baseball, so I will have a lot of information. Nice to finally be getting a major league team together on the Braves along with a great farm system. Hoping we don't have to use Colon and Dickey long.

Ok for you Baseball junkies. The very first World Series was played in 1903. I did some major research and here are the Top 5 Regular Season teams to win the World Series since I have been born. I was born in 1971, 1971-2016 seasons.

1. 1998 Yankees 114-48 70.4%

2. 1975 Reds 108-54 66.7%

1986 Mets 108-54 66.7% (tied with the 75 Reds)

4. 1984 Tigers 104-58 64.2%

5. 2016 Cubs 103-58 64% - yes my Cubs made the Top 5 most dominant teams in my lifetime to win a World Series!

Here are the Top 5 Regular Season teams to win the World Series before I was born, prior to the 1971 World Series, 1903-1970 seasons.

1. 1909 Pirates 110-42 72.4%

2. 1927 Yankees 110-44 71.4%

3. 1907 Cubs 107-45 70.4% haha 

4. 1939 Yankees 106-45 70.2%

5. 1932 Yankees 107-47 69.5%

I really don't know much about these older teams other than the Yankees had Babe Ruth and I knew the Cubs won it in 1907. I had no idea the 1909 Pirates are technically the best team of all-time going by teams that won the World Series winning % wise.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok for you Baseball junkies. The very first World Series was played in 1903. I did some major research and here are the Top 5 Regular Season teams to win the World Series since I have been born. I was born in 1971:

1. 1998 Yankees 114-48 70.4%

2. 1975 Reds 108-54 66.7%

1986 Mets 108-54 66.7% (tied with the 75 Reds)

4. 1984 Tigers 104-58 64.2%

5. 2016 Cubs 103-58 64% - yes my Cubs made the Top 5 most dominant teams in my lifetime to win a World Series!

Here are the Top 5 Regular Season teams to win the World Series before I was born, prior to the 1971 World Series:

1. 1909 Pirates 110-42 72.4%

2. 1927 Yankees 110-44 71.4%

3. 1907 Cubs 107-45 70.4% haha 

4. 1939 Yankees 106-45 70.2%

5. 1932 Yankees 107-47 69.5%

I really don't know much about these older teams other than the Yankees had Babe Ruth and I knew the Cubs won it in 1907. I had no idea the 1909 Pirates are technically the best team of all-time going by teams that won the World Series winning % wise.

Good job. I love this stuff.

To the bolded, I don't think I can call any team that played before 1947 the "best team of all time". There were so many good players that were not allowed to play in major league baseball before 1947. As you do your reading on the history of baseball, you will see that many of the former Negro League players won MVPs and Rookie of the Year awards following intergration. The teams prior to 1947 would have been a lot better had they been integrated.

The 1998 Yankees has to be up there for best team of all time for one year.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

To the bolded, I don't think I can call any team that played before 1947 the "best team of all time". There were so many good players that were not allowed to play in baseball before 1947. As you do your reading on the history of baseball, you will see that many of the former Negro League players won MVPs and Rookie of the Year awards following intergration. The teams prior to 1947 would have been a lot better had they been integrated.

Yeah, would it be better to do a list from 1947 up to now? and just list the 10 best teams from then?

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, would it be better to do a list from 1947 up to now? and just list the 10 best teams from then?

It's up to you. I was just making a general comment that those teams before 1947 did not play with or against many really good players who were not allowed to play in MLB. 

Why not do your original plan --- from 1970 on? Or perhaps 1960 on.

I can at least say this I was born before the 1971 World Series so in my lifetime which is 45 years now, 46 World Series played (1971-2016) the 2016 Cubs have the 5th best winning % of any Champion. Only the 1998 Yankees 114-48, 1975 Reds/1986 Mets = 108-54, and 1984 Tigers = 104-58 were more dominant. That is Great stuff! Cubs had 1 game postponed otherwise they may have tied the 1984 Tigers? They were 103-58.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

It's up to you. I was just making a general comment that those teams before 1947 did not play with or against many really good players who were not allowed to play in MLB. 

Why not do your original plan --- from 1970 on? Or perhaps 1960 on.

I will do from 1971 and on and actually list the 10 best teams winning % wise. Reason for 1971 is, that was the year I was born. Seems like the way to go. I think most people in here probably would pick the 1998 Yankees as being the best team since then but Brent is a Reds fan and the BigRed Machine of 1975 was awesome! I have a friend who is a little older than me and he was a teenager when those Reds teams won the WS. He tells me all the time that the 1975 team was the best team he ever seen.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will do from 1971 and on and actually list the 10 best teams winning % wise. Reason for 1971 is, that was the year I was born. Seems like the way to go. I think most people in here probably would pick the 1998 Yankees as being the best team since then but Brent is a Reds fan and the BigRed Machine of 1975 was awesome! I have a friend who is a little older than me and he was a teenager when those Reds teams won the WS. He tells me all the time that the 1975 team was the best team he ever seen.

Winning percentage is not enough. I agree that teams like the Big Red Machine and the Yankees of the 90's were more dominant than a team like the '86 Mets that did not have sustained success. 

I also like the Oakland teams of the late 80s and early 90s. They did not win many World Series but they were dominant. But, it seemed that the era of PEDs started with them.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Winning percentage is not enough. I agree that teams like the Big Red Machine and the Yankees of the 90's were more dominant than a team like the '86 Mets that did not have sustained success. 

I also like the Oakland teams of the late 80s and early 90s, if I am remembering correctly. They did not win many World Series but they were dominant. But, it seemed that the era of PEDs started with them.

Winning % isnt the only thing I agree. It's eye test, Championships won as a core, and overall talent on Rosters as well. The 1989 A's would be very tough to beat and they didnt even win 100 games. They were 99-63.

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

To the bolded, I don't think I can call any team that played before 1947 the "best team of all time". There were so many good players that were not allowed to play in major league baseball before 1947. As you do your reading on the history of baseball, you will see that many of the former Negro League players won MVPs and Rookie of the Year awards following intergration. The teams prior to 1947 would have been a lot better had they been integrated.

Not to mention many players went off to serve our country during WW2

On 12/27/2016 at 5:38 PM, Jay Kirk said:

Was just watching MLB network it seems the  Cards are really in the Dozier sweepstakes , Lol you never know though to their credit the Cards keep the business hush hush till a moves actually been made.

I am old and my memory is shot.  Dozier?

I really think the Cards are going to fight the Cubs and Pirates all year. (shocking right)

For Cubs, I really don't want Jay to be THE center fielder.

Reds are the Reds...have basically done nothing.  NFL may get a shot at Cozart....rumor on a possible trade.  Hearing he is on the trading block

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

I really think the Cards are going to fight the Cubs and Pirates all year. (shocking right)

Reds are the Reds...have basically done nothing.  NFL may get a shot at Cozart....rumor on a possible trade.  Hearing he is on the trading block

Jon Jay if healthy is a very good Center fielder , at the plate when hot can carry a team especially in the friendly confines . Would like to know his Wrigley stats.

Yeah a list of greatest teams from 1947 and on would be real legit because African Americans weren't allowed to play before the 1947 Season - The Jackie Robinson rule. I would have to go back and see who the Top 20 teams are winning % wise since 1947 before I do that long list. I do realize winning % doesn't totally determine who the actual best team is. I will just list the Top 20 within the next few days and then everyone can choose who they think the best team is based on other criteria as well.

42 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Cards always worry me, I was shocked the Pirates weren't better last season. They were Good in 2015.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah when I do my list it looks like 1947 until now seems to be the popular choice. I will list the Top 20 teams by winning % that won the WS and then we can break down their Rosters and other criteria and comment on those teams.

Great. We should invite other baseball fans like @coltsfansince65 and @TheRustonRifle#7 to participate. 

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Great. We should invite other baseball fans like @coltsfansince65 and @TheRustonRifle#7 to participate. 

Hopefully the others that were Posting on the old Thread know about this one. Like Gavin and 'M Colts M' I think is his handle, he started Posting during the WS. I see Jared and Princeton Posted once. Brent knows about this as well so Radio Girl knows.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hopefully the others that were Posting on the old Thread know about this one. Like Gavin and 'I'm a Colts fan' I think is his handle, he started Posting during the WS. I see Jared and Princeton Posted once. Brent knows about this as well so Radio Girl knows.

Yes, of course. I mentioned them because they are Yankees fans and can share a lot about past Yankees teams. We don't have enough representation from fans of the American league. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, of course. I mentioned them because they are Yankees fans and can share a lot about past Yankees teams. We don't have enough representation from fans of the American league. 

Yeah it is actually M Colts M - he is a Cubs fan but I agree I wish we had more fans of different teams. That Buccolts guy is a Pirates fan so he will probably Post here. Not an AL team but different.

Thank you NFLFan for the heads up.  Thank you Jay for starting the thread. I've been a Yankee fan since birth. (my father and both older brothers were Yankee fans, I never considered any other team.) I started attending games in the early 60's (a down era for the bombers) & the best team I've witnessed in the Bronx has been the 98 team. That team was solid top to bottom & did everything well.

I haven't been paying much attention to the goings on so far this upcoming season but I will be checking back with this thread from time to time to see what everyone thinks here. I will have a better idea what I think of the various races as spring gets nearer.

Thanks again.

Archived