Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

to me it is a combination of Edwards and Montgomery stinking it up along with some of the Coaching moves.

14 minutes ago, GOZER said:

we had pitching issues all season long, especially in the dreaded 8th inning.

Sounds like a personnel issue. The GM is responsible for that. 

Was Bosio the pitching coach last year when they won it all?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wanted a Repeat because that would've cemented the Cubs as really Elite all-time but 3 straight NLCS and a WS win is still Great. Since 1977 the 2016 Cubs have the 4th best record of any WS Champion so that is going back 40 years, only teams that have been better are:

1. 1998 Yankees 114-48

2. 1986 Mets 108-54

3. 1984 Tigers 104-58

4. 2016 Cubs 103-58 (1 game got rained out and wasn't made up so the Tigers were .5 better)

-That is damn great company to be in.

I'll add to this, the Cubs were the 1st WS Champion since the Cards in 2011 to make it back to the NLCS. That is how tough it is to Repeat.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

How often are you going to change managers? Baker was given 2 years and the Nats played well under Baker. They were eliminated by last year's champions in game 5 in the best of 5 series. What more can one expect? I think it is absurd to fire any manager after 2 successful years. You need some continuity. I would not be pleased if I was a fan. I agree with @NorthernBlue.

Whoever the Mets hire, I want him there at least 3 years, especially if they are playing well. I like stability. 

This City just has a rich history of struggling in the playoffs year in year out. I mean just this year you  had the Capitals AND Nationals with arguably the most talent in their respective leagues, only to flame out in the same round again (and in the Caps case, to the same team that's tortured them since the franchises inception).

DC sports fans just don't care for regular season success anymore. They've seen it end in disarray too many times. Nats fans aren't even mad that Baker is gone. They just want to see a series win. 

The Nats lost game 5 by a run. 1 run. If they won that game, Dusty would still be employed, even if DC gets killed by LA in the next round. And the fans wouldn't even mind tbh. That's how fine the line is between what is considered a successful season and failure in DC. We were arguably the 3rd or 4th best team in baseball the last 4 years. Yet no one will look back at 2016 or 2017 fondly. And that's a shame.

Like ya said, stability is good, and I hope NYM and WSH can find some mangers that last. Even though we're supposed to be rivals I hope our teams have some good matchups next year and maybe even meet in an NLDS? haha Don't know about that though. Might get violent haha.

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

This City just has a rich history of struggling in the playoffs year in year out. I mean just this year you  had the Capitals AND Nationals with arguably the most talent in their respective leagues, only to flame out in the same round again (and in the Caps case, to the same team that's tortured them since the franchises inception).

DC sports fans just don't care for regular season success anymore. They've seen it end in disarray too many times. Nats fans aren't even mad that Baker is gone. They just want to see a series win. 

The Nats lost game 5 by a run. 1 run. If they won that game, Dusty would still be employed, even if DC gets killed by LA in the next round. And the fans wouldn't even mind tbh. That's how fine the line is between what is considered a successful season and failure in DC. We were arguably the 3rd or 4th best team in baseball the last 4 years. Yet no one will look back at 2016 or 2017 fondly. And that's a shame.

Like ya said, stability is good, and I hope NYM and WSH can find some mangers that last. Even though we're supposed to be rivals I hope our teams have some good matchups next year and maybe even meet in an NLDS? haha Don't know about that though. Might get violent haha.

I think the last 2 years you guys arguably had the best talent out of any team. Baseball is a game of luck at times and you guys definitely haven't caught many breaks when playing the Dodgers last year than Cubs this year. Cubs were real fortunate to win that series and were fortunate to win the WS last season actually.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is a very true statement, if the Cubs were out of it in August I wouldn't of been near as interested in it. Most Baseball fans are like that. These last 3 years have kept me on edge. I will still watch the WS because it's the WS though, I always have watched the Playoffs even when the Cubs stunk.

I think its pretty cool to old division rivals.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:54 PM, NorthernBlue said:

I don't know about that (in bold^^). Firing someone for losing in game 5 in the best of 5 series after winning almost 100 games? He has been there only 2 years! I understood why they fired Matt Williams. They had a very good team and did not make the playoffs. And Williams seemed to be losing the team. That was not the case with Baker. (At least not that I know of.)

On 10/21/2017 at 11:04 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the last 2 years you guys arguably had the best talent out of any team. Baseball is a game of luck at times and you guys definitely haven't caught many breaks when playing the Dodgers last year than Cubs this year. Cubs were real fortunate to win that series and were fortunate to win the WS last season actually.

As I wrote before, it is hard to win when there is no stability at the managerial position. Buster Olney reported today that the Nationals have had 6 managers in the last 10 years. :scratch: Bryce Harper is 25 or 26 -- the next manager will be his 4th in his short career. It is unfortunate given how well they have played in the last 2 years. Olney also said that the Nationals owners don't want to pay their managers. No security. Low pay. Why would a good manager want to coach there! 

16 hours ago, GOZER said:

So... no more Cubs, the Colts are painful to watch, and Purdue football not doing too well......guess I'll have to try to get into basketball mode, usually don't until playoffs. :dunno:

Notre Dame football , they have a very strong team.

49 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Notre Dame football , they have a very strong team.

I didn't even watch the Pats game last night, I slept through it. Football has always been my favorite sport, then the NBA has been 2nd, with Baseball 3rd. With the emergence of the Cubs, I found myself following Baseball more than Football over the last month. I didn't even know who won the Patriots game until I woke up around 2 in the morning. The whole kneeling thing has made me soured and the Colts just haven't put a good product on the field right now. I still watch Colts games but when it comes to other games it's briefly here and there. If it wasn't for Fantasy Football I would probably even follow it less.

19 hours ago, GOZER said:

Good suggestion, I usually root for them as long as they're not beating down on my Boilers, lol! They do look tough!

Yes they are back in top 10 only loss to #3 Georgia and shouldn't have lost that one . They look stronger and stronger every week.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't even watch the Pats game last night, I slept through it. Football has always been my favorite sport, then the NBA has been 2nd, with Baseball 3rd. With the emergence of the Cubs, I found myself following Baseball more than Football over the last month. I didn't even know who won the Patriots game until I woke up around 2 in the morning. The whole kneeling thing has made me soured and the Colts just haven't put a good product on the field right now. I still watch Colts games but when it comes to other games it's briefly here and there. If it wasn't for Fantasy Football I would probably even follow it less.

I hear you Brother I'm soured as well , and we really have not watched any NFL very little of Colts . I will enjoy some Baseball Basketball and ND Football

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, they almost swept the Cubs fools?

Sorry, you just irk me when you make such references.

haha Cubs won the WS last season and were out of gas after playing in 3 straight NLCS and a WS. Astros haven't proven anything, ok I guess saying the word fools is mean somehow lmao. How about me saying pretenders. Dodgers are going to win this series in 6 games or less.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

haha Cubs won the WS last season and were out of gas after playing in 3 straight NLCS and a WS. Astros haven't proven anything, ok I guess saying the word fools is mean somehow lmao. How about me saying pretenders. Dodgers are going to win this series in 6 games or less.

I agree, Dodgers have the best chance of winning. But Justin Verlander might slow them down tonight. He has been clutch so far, just like Kershaw.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every season is a new season. The Cubs prooved nothing. The Astros aren't done yet.

Your 'out of gas' agrument is really kinda funny, but everyone's just trying to get by, I suppose.

I also suppose everyone except the WS champ is a 'pretender' every year.

Dodgers may win in 6 or less. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree, Dodgers have the best chance of winning. But Justin Verlander might slow them down tonight. He has been clutch so far, just like Kershaw.

Yeah Houston may win tonight because of Verlander. I thought Cubs would win when Jake Pitched, I didn't think Cubs would get swept. If Verlander doesn't win tonight it is over for them though.

4 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Every season is a new season. The Cubs prooved nothing. The Astros aren't done yet.

Your 'out of gas' agrument is really kinda funny, but everyone's just trying to get by, I suppose.

I also suppose everyone except the WS champ is a 'pretender' every year.

Dodgers may win in 6 or less. We'll see.

Cubs have had one of the best 3 years runs in MLB history, they proved a lot. They didn't Repeat but nobody has since the Yankees in 2000.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Houston may win tonight because of Verlander. I thought Cubs would win when Jake Pitched, I didn't think Cubs would get swept. If Verlander doesn't win tonight it is over for them though.

True, especially since he is the only reason Houston is in the series. 

Archived