Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on next season and beyond....

bluephantom87

What will be the MAIN factor going forward for the Colts to truly compete against the big boys of the conference and become a serious threat for the SB? Looking at the AFC landscape next year with the usual suspects like the Patriots and Steelers along with contending teams such as the Ravens, Broncos, Chiefs and vastly improved Raiders looming in the conference what will it take for the Colts to leapfrog into the top tier? As bad as the south is the Titans show promise, Watt will be back for the Texans and who knows what a new coach can do for a talented young Jags team. Instead of rising the Colts appear to be DECLINING and have been the last few seasons under this regime. Too many times when the stakes were high the team folded with bad play and questionable playcalling on BOTH sides of the ball. The ace in the hole has always the putrid AFC south which gives somebody a chance for playoff contention no matter the record simply by winning the division. As Gregg Doyel from the Indy Star put it best the Colts are no closer to a title than they were with the 2-14 Curtis Painter team. Thoughts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Main Factor will be Firing Pagano & Pags. This team will not leapfrog anyone with them still here, especially pagano.

The next factor will be WHO REPLACES THEM. Their replacements need to be good if not elite. Average may not be good enough, and may stagnate this organization for several more years.

With the right people in charge the talent level will get better and players will be coached up instead of dumbed down.

You win and lose at the line of scrimmage.        Win that battle and more times than not, you'll win the game.

So, our OL, which has played so well in the 2nd half of the season,  must continue to IMPROVE!      They can't be as good as they are now.     They must get better.

The big area of concern is on the other side of the ball.     We need a huge infusion of talent.    The '17 draft is not all that great.      But the three weakest spots are all on offense:    QB,  WR,  OT.

The strength of the draft is on defense.      We need to get as many quality defensive players as we can.    We have to get younger, faster,  more skilled,   more play makers,   more difference makers.

We don't have anyone on that side of the ball who is a play maker or difference maker.     No one would give an opposing offensive coordinator a moments worry.      No OC is going to lose sleep going up against our defense.

If we don't start the process of building a quality defense then we're looking at winning and losing shoot-outs in our near future.       That's not the way to win in the NFL.      

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You win and lose at the line of scrimmage.        Win that battle and more times than not, you'll win the game.

So, our OL, which has played so well in the 2nd half of the season,  must continue to IMPROVE!      They can't be as good as they are now.     They must get better.

The big area of concern is on the other side of the ball.     We need a huge infusion of talent.    The '17 draft is not all that great.      But the three weakest spots are all on offense:    QB,  WR,  OT.

The strength of the draft is on defense.      We need to get as many quality defensive players as we can.    We have to get younger, faster,  more skilled,   more play makers,   more difference makers.

We don't have anyone on that side of the ball who is a play maker or difference maker.     No one would give an opposing offensive coordinator a moments worry.      No OC is going to lose sleep going up against our defense.

If we don't start the process of building a quality defense then we're looking at winning and losing shoot-outs in our near future.       That's not the way to win in the NFL.      

I couldn't have wrote it better myself.

Other than the fact Clark played one solid game against Minnesota, I see little to be encouraged about.  Mewhort's future is uncertain.  Geathers appears injury prone.  Anderson looked pedestrian, post injury.  Kelly was solid, I suppose, but given the hype of him being a plug and play 10 year elite rock at his position, I don't know.  Was he worthy of a mid 1st rounder?

Essentially, you have a QB, a player or two, and question marks everywhere.  

39 minutes ago, #12. said:

Other than the fact Clark played one solid game against Minnesota, I see little to be encouraged about.  Mewhort's future is uncertain.  Geathers appears injury prone.  Anderson looked pedestrian, post injury.  Kelly was solid, I suppose, but given the hype of him being a plug and play 10 year elite rock at his position, I don't know.  Was he worthy of a mid 1st rounder?

Essentially, you have a QB, a player or two, and question marks everywhere.  

As far as Anderson goes, it's common for a player to look less capable than normal for one season after coming back from an ACL injury. I expect him to look much better next season 

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Unless changes are made...

Expect more of the same.

100% agree. This topic has been beat to death so I'll leave it at that. We have got to get younger and better on the defensive side of the ball. Period. I think with the addition of some good defensive free agents and a defensive minded draft we "could" become a much better football team next season. But I still believe that certain members of staff will more than likely severly handicap any positives this offseason if not decimate them completely.Wiffing on a first rounder in Werner and possibly another in Dorsett doesn't help nor does drafting two tight ends in the second and third round of the same draft. This draft while not defensive heavy this year still has some players not named Garrett that I think will have really solid if not elite careers. If we are smart enough and I say that with hope that we are and make the right choices I feel we are right back in it. We have already got the toughest piece of the puzzle at QB. I just want to see what he could do if he didn't have to put the team on his back game in and game out. To have a defense that says hey we got you and goes out and makes plays and stops so Andrew can play with a lead every once in a while and not have the pressure of winning the game week in and week out. 

This is probably a 5 paragraph answer, but we need a lot. 

No pass rush and guys like Langford, Jones need to be replaced.

LB core needs an ALMOST complete overhaul, we have some solid depth guys. Our starters are depth guys on a regular team.

Secondary should find a new #1 in a perfect world. Vontae can't be that guy simply because of mounting injuries and age. We'd be looking sweet if a solid #1 CB could somehow be brought in and Vontae became our 2. Our current group of other guys could fill the slot and UDFA'S for depth.

Secondary needs an Adams replacement and another guy for when Geathers misses time next year. IMO he's going to be a guy who will always miss time.

Also Guard might be a need depending on how Mewhort heals up. We still aren't a consistent/good line. Improved yes, but I wouldn't say 'problem solved' there.

Minus a handful of spots, you can pick positions out of a hat and probably be right.

To answer your original question, the key will be to stop settling for mediocrity. The Colts have a top 10 QB, WR, Punter, Kicker, and mediocre  or developing players everywhere else, and that includes at GM and HC. Until we stop waiting for players who aren't good to finally "develop" or "get used properly", this team will be the same. Much of it requires Irsay to wake up though.

I hope that this season will be a major wake up call to the entire coaching staff and organization that this division is not guaranteed anymore, and that the entire AFC conference just got a whole lot tougher with the rise of The Raiders, Chiefs and even Texans in our own division.

How you think our Colts would have done if it were us instead of The Ravens in that slugfest on Christmas night? Would this team have been competitive? We need an O-Line, and we need to get tough! We should be The New England Patriots or Steelers of the AFC South!

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

This is probably a 5 paragraph answer, but we need a lot. 

No pass rush and guys like Langford, Jones need to be replaced.

LB core needs an ALMOST complete overhaul, we have some solid depth guys. Our starters are depth guys on a regular team.

Secondary should find a new #1 in a perfect world. Vontae can't be that guy simply because of mounting injuries and age. We'd be looking sweet if a solid #1 CB could somehow be brought in and Vontae became our 2. Our current group of other guys could fill the slot and UDFA'S for depth.

Secondary needs an Adams replacement and another guy for when Geathers misses time next year. IMO he's going to be a guy who will always miss time.

Also Guard might be a need depending on how Mewhort heals up. We still aren't a consistent/good line. Improved yes, but I wouldn't say 'problem solved' there.

Minus a handful of spots, you can pick positions out of a hat and probably be right.

I believe Davis is being paid like a #1 so isn't that bad if we brought in another #1 cb to waste money on? And I agree on still drafting for online well I'd probably get one in FA Becuase this draft isn't good for guards I think

I see the Colts having a 7-9 win season next year if Grigson/Pagano are back.

This roster is not built to play the way Chuck wants to play. On top of that it feels like the Colts have to overcome him as a head coach almost every week.

To take it a step further I think, based on the current roster/key players, the Colts need to not just change coaches but change so that they play more like the 2000s with an explosive offense and a defense that is less demanding personnel wise. This will be the quickest way for them to become competitive again.

23 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I see the Colts having a 7-9 win season next year if Grigson/Pagano are back.

This roster is not built to play the way Chuck wants to play. On top of that it feels like the Colts have to overcome him as a head coach almost every week.

To take it a step further I think, based on the current roster/key players, the Colts need to not just change coaches but change so that they play more like the 2000s with an explosive offense and a defense that is less demanding personnel wise. This will be the quickest way for them to become competitive again.

That's a good point. A scheme like bend but don't break cover 2 was hated by this board but it didn't require a lot of playmakers on that side of the ball to be effective. We got away for years with some smart lbs, athletic ball hawking safeties and two devastating pass rushers. We really only ever had to pay freeney and Mathis and maybe sanders. Everyone else was interchangeable. We loaded up on offense where our big advantage was...led by Manning. Get a lead and unleash the rush. That was enough to make us competitive against anyone and even get us to a couple Sbs. We could build that again. To build a defense like people want AND an offense you have to hit at such a high rate it's going to be very very difficult. The same people that complained about the bend but don't break defense of Polian are now complaining about how awful the "monster" defense is. Makes you appreciate what you had no? With as few players as we have on defense now is as good as ever to clean house with the staff and reevaluate if we want to ditch the 3-4 and make a change in direction. I'd love an aggressive Broncos style defense but you almost have to have stars all over to play that way and well...we aren't seeing those walk in overnight.

59 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

O-line is improving but as someone else pointed out, it needs to continue to improve.

The defense is my concern.  They're confused when they hit the field and we can't pressure the QB, which gives him time to connect passes. .  

This has to be the worst tackling team I've ever seen.  I'm 195 pounds soaking wet, 62 years old.  I'm not so sure they could bring me down.  

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's a good point. A scheme like bend but don't break cover 2 was hated by this board but it didn't require a lot of playmakers on that side of the ball to be effective. We got away for years with some smart lbs, athletic ball hawking safeties and two devastating pass rushers. We really only ever had to pay freeney and Mathis and maybe sanders. Everyone else was interchangeable. We loaded up on offense where our big advantage was...led by Manning. Get a lead and unleash the rush. That was enough to make us competitive against anyone and even get us to a couple Sbs. We could build that again. To build a defense like people want AND an offense you have to hit at such a high rate it's going to be very very difficult. The same people that complained about the bend but don't break defense of Polian are now complaining about how awful the "monster" defense is. Makes you appreciate what you had no? With as few players as we have on defense now is as good as ever to clean house with the staff and reevaluate if we want to ditch the 3-4 and make a change in direction. I'd love an aggressive Broncos style defense but you almost have to have stars all over to play that way and well...we aren't seeing those walk in overnight.

I don't miss the Tampa 2. Couldn't stop the run worth crap, and our secondary only looked good because we had a good pass rush. A pass rush helps a lot when it comes to the secondary, but you are simply interchanging a solid run stopping group (our current defenses strength) for a good pass rush. Honestly, our defense is closer to being better than the Tampa 2 was. Give our dline a pass rush in the next draft and this defense is better than dungys D. 

The drop off has occurred on our offense. We stopped playing consistent football on that side ever since manning left. We need to be able to win at the line of scrimmage, when that happens we can get 3rd and 4th and short. Whereas right now AND at the end of the manning era we have been unable to do so. I like philbin and where our line is headed, we just aren't there yet. 

I would say draft heavily defense, pass rush and linebacker, and even secondary a little bit later. In FA I would like to see us go for oline. Maybe a G and a RT. AFTER THAT the hope is our team is pretty balanced on all sides. 

Our team isnt as far off as we think it is. It's all coaching guys. Game in and game out our players are unprepared, and inconsistent. We need a new HC BAD! this is so obvious to me. 

P.S, I'm not saying we have a good run stopping defense, it is simply the strength of. 

Unfortunately, we have a lot of needs. And areas that I would not consider as "needs", like the left side of the O line, aren't exactly dominate.

I was skeptical of Grigson and Pagano, when they kept on repeating the mantra "run and stop the run".

Don't get me wrong, both are great things to be able to do. But the saying, in todays game really should be,

"rush the quarterback and protect the quarterback". Based on that philosophy, we have a LONG way to go.

That should be priority A and 1A moving forward, no matter who the coach and GM may be. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Eh I loved Mathis and freeney era but being ran over by the pats and steelers isn't something we need to go back to and they ran it on us harder than what we've gotten here 

35 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I don't miss the Tampa 2. Couldn't stop the run worth crap, and our secondary only looked good because we had a good pass rush. A pass rush helps a lot when it comes to the secondary, but you are simply interchanging a solid run stopping group (our current defenses strength) for a good pass rush. Honestly, our defense is closer to being better than the Tampa 2 was. Give our dline a pass rush in the next draft and this defense is better than dungys D. 

The drop off has occurred on our offense. We stopped playing consistent football on that side ever since manning left. We need to be able to win at the line of scrimmage, when that happens we can get 3rd and 4th and short. Whereas right now AND at the end of the manning era we have been unable to do so. I like philbin and where our line is headed, we just aren't there yet. 

I would say draft heavily defense, pass rush and linebacker, and even secondary a little bit later. In FA I would like to see us go for oline. Maybe a G and a RT. AFTER THAT the hope is our team is pretty balanced on all sides. 

Our team isnt as far off as we think it is. It's all coaching guys. Game in and game out our players are unprepared, and inconsistent. We need a new HC BAD! this is so obvious to me. 

P.S, I'm not saying we have a good run stopping defense, it is simply the strength of. 

It's good run def until we run into behemoths like that raiders oline lol but they've looked good at times 

2 hours ago, will426 said:

Eh I loved Mathis and freeney era but being ran over by the pats and steelers isn't something we need to go back to and they ran it on us harder than what we've gotten here 

Uhh actually Pats ran it to a tune of like over 200yds with scrubs off practice squad against our so called monster defense couple years ago. The only thing in football that matters is points...even if you give up yardage if you can score points you can give up yardage and still be a dang good team. Our issues was we were built to play with a lead and we struggled against elite defenses with our soft offense. Rule changes and Peyton getting wiser we had shots to win it all. We went to 2 sbs and had like one of the winningest franchises from 2000-2010....I'd take that again any day. We always had a fighting chance those years...shot ourselves in the foot a couple times. I love our Colts but we haven't been close to winning it all even when we went to the Afc championship game...and this defense is not even close to being as good as nearly any of those old colts teams. Not saying we are or should go back to that defense but if we wanted to take quickest path back to playoffs it's to changevscheme. Of course the best chance to win it all is to build a stud defense.....but dang we need a ton more studs for that. Pace we are on...maybe sometime after 2020 maybe.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agree 110%. We saw that when we had Peyton. We had a great offense every year, but only won 1 super bowl. If we would have invested more in the defense, like 1/2 of what Peyton had in Denver, we win as many as the patriots did in the 2000's. 

5 hours ago, will426 said:

I believe Davis is being paid like a #1 so isn't that bad if we brought in another #1 cb to waste money on? And I agree on still drafting for online well I'd probably get one in FA Becuase this draft isn't good for guards I think

Vontae is actually going into the final year of his deal so sadly CB will be a need soon. I also didn't mean making him a #2 because he stinks or anything, but he's definitely getting up there in miles if you know what I mean. Getting a true #1CB in the draft and moving him would actually be great. No more Toler or Robinson type guys being opposite VD. Plus we'd actually be able to cover a little longer in the hopes of getting after the QB. It would actually become a strength position for us on D. We currently have no strong spots on D.

As much as I'd love to say they're close, they're really not. We have holes all over the place.

19 minutes ago, IinD said:

Vontae is actually going into the final year of his deal so sadly CB will be a need soon. I also didn't mean making him a #2 because he stinks or anything, but he's definitely getting up there in miles if you know what I mean. Getting a true #1CB in the draft and moving him would actually be great. No more Toler or Robinson type guys being opposite VD. Plus we'd actually be able to cover a little longer in the hopes of getting after the QB. It would actually become a strength position for us on D. We currently have no strong spots on D.

As much as I'd love to say they're close, they're really not. We have holes all over the place.

Sometimes the gameplan in some games make us believe it's a good defense but somehow with this team every week they tend to not do what works and right forgot about Davis heading into his last year thought he still had two at least but I think he should play more like Deion sanders and not tackle because with every saving tackle or big hit he makes he either hurts his ankle or gets a concussion 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

To add to your post...that scheme also worked well because it allowed them to find smaller/quicker players later in the drafts, it was easier to teach which allowed them to use younger players, and because of that they didn't have to use a lot of their cap space on veteran defensive players.

The scheme had flaws but it complimented their offense in terms of salary cap/drafting which is part of the reason the Colts were able to be consistent.

Now, the Colts probably can't just revert back to that exact defense because the game has/is changing. My overall feeling is they need to have a defense that doesn't require you to draft guys high in the draft and devote a lot of your cap space to. The Colts haven't shown that they are committed to doing those things over the last 5 years and, at least imo, I think that they can increase the quality of play from this team quicker by changing their approach. 

16 minutes ago, will426 said:

Sometimes the gameplan in some games make us believe it's a good defense but somehow with this team every week they tend to not do what works and right forgot about Davis heading into his last year thought he still had two at least but I think he should play more like Deion sanders and not tackle because with every saving tackle or big hit he makes he either hurts his ankle or gets a concussion 

They'll flash once in a while on D definitely, but sadly they seem to be getting worse as well. We seemed a little stouter against the run the past couple seasons and now we've gone back down into the mid 20's on run D so we can't even hang our hat on that anymore.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

To answer your original question, the key will be to stop settling for mediocrity. The Colts have a top 10 QB, WR, Punter, Kicker, and mediocre  or developing players everywhere else, and that includes at GM and HC. Until we stop waiting for players who aren't good to finally "develop" or "get used properly", this team will be the same. Much of it requires Irsay to wake up though.

Settling for mediocrity?      Since when?

You do know there's a salary cap in place?        And we only have so many draft picks?

No one is settling for anything close to mediocrity.   

This game is hard!      Or haven't you noticed the two teams in the last Super Bowl are likely not making the playoffs.     And neither is Arizona, who was the pre-season favorite this year.     And Seattle is breaking down at the worst time.     And Baltimore is going to miss the post-season for the 3rd time in the last 4 years and they're a very well run organization.      Cindy isn't making the post-season after 5 straight years in the playoffs.     New Orleans still can't figure out it's salary cap problems.      

I mean,  how many examples do you need to see of good teams,  well run franchises,  that won't make the playoffs this year....       The NFL is hard.     It's not easy to make the playoffs every year.     If it was,  everyone would do it....

I'm not trying to bust your chops here....    there are lots of people who think just as you do.....     I'm just trying to show a different perspective for consideration.

Colts need to pick up some pass rushers.  They will also probably be in the market for a running back if Gore doesn't return.  I think the defense showed promise the past few games but they need a pass rush.  The team also needs to win the 1 possession games next  year.  I think 5 or 6 out of the 8 losses this year have been 1 possession games.  They also need to take care of business within the division.  The Titans will be solid next  year, the Texans will be solid if they get their QB situation figured out and who knows with the Jags.  It looks like the Colts will be playing @Cinci @Bal vs Cle vs Pitt @Den vs Buff @Sea @LA vs Ari Vs SF then the 6 divisional games.  Other than Pitt and Sea most teams were right around.500 or below this year.  The schedule is favorable if the Colts can improve.  

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

We should never stop appreciating what the winningest team of the 2000's accomplished....and during the salary cap era to boot.  It was that special.  Absolutely.

Nor should we fail to observe that the team's post season ceiling was set too low by the principles that the team was built on, limiting it's place in history significantly...as well as Manning's.

I'm OK with fans that simply pine for a similar run, especially given the last 2 seasons, but I'm in the camp that wants more post season success. 

I also believe you have to build differently if you want different...and you have to coach differently too.  

The Manning teams were built to jump on you and then finish you off with a devastating pass rush once you had no choice but to throw it down the field.  Perfect fit for regular season wins by the dozens.

If, on the other hand, we'd built our defense to be a brick wall against the run, even at risk of giving up some big plays, we'd have maximized our assets by giving the best offense in the league more touches and minimizing the weapon of choice used to beat Manning...ball control.

21 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Instead of rising the Colts appear to be DECLINING and have been the last few seasons under this regime.

How have they been declining for the past few years?  Two years ago, they were in the AFC championship game.  Last year, they didn't have Luck for 9 games.  This year, 2016, is the ONLY season they've declined, and for the life of me I don't understand how people could have not expected that to be a possibility considering all of the change in the coaching staff as well as scheme changes.

As Gregg Doyel from the Indy Star put it best the Colts are no closer to a title than they were with the 2-14 Curtis Painter team. Thoughts?

My thoughts on that are that it's the dumbest thing I've read in a long time and can't believe anyone would even take it seriously, let alone agree with it.