Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Dorsett

CR91

After seeing him for two years, you can see he has big play potential. what is lacking is hes not a complete wr like hilton or physically gifted like moncrief which is why he goes invisible at times. his biggest asset is of course his speed. once he understands how to use that speed to effectively run routes like hilton or AB, then I think we will see the merit of picking him first. Hes not going to be a a bust imo, but he still has a long way to go to be a polished WR.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

After seeing him for two years, you can see he has big play potential. what is lacking is hes not a complete wr like hilton or physically gifted like moncrief which is why he goes invisible at times. his biggest asset is of course his speed. once he understands how to use that speed to effectively run routes like hilton or AB, then I think we will see the merit of picking him first. Hes not going to be a a bust imo, but he still has a long way to go to be a polished WR.

I don't think he's being used appropriately. We're essentially using him to clear out the defense so T.Y can go underneath. Hard to be effective when you're only running crossing and go routes. I believe he isn't going to be a bust neither. 

I like him as a person but he is what he is he was a super reach because of his 40time. His college production was weak nth I saw on tape or the stats said he should be a 1St rd guy I had him as a late 2nd guy .but after his 40 grigson could resist even when we had moncreif, Hilton, fleener and Allen he still thought it made sense to draft a project prospect in the 1St round .smh

If we actually run some plays for him and get him involved , other than being a decoy he might actually be a weapon...He had the 1 terrible game with 3 bad drops..Other than that game he never really gets a chance and he has been open all year...Luck locks in on T.Y Hilton way too much he should have better development now and be able to go thru all his progressions...Our o-line isn't that bad, it's all COACHING, gameplan, and player development , and it's killing us...We have pretty good groceries, but the absolute worst COOK in the business...Look at the progress the line is making with a competent coach...Philbin is the only coach we have worth keeping..

I think with a creative OC , we could have one heck of an offense next year and if we can find a pass rusher and a CB and stay healthy to a degree, we could really have one scary team after seeing the oline at least look serviceable near the end. Problem is I don't think Chuck is the guy to run this team and/or I don't think Chad has any creativity to game plan for the opponent. He seems pretty rigid to the offensive play book he runs regardless of the defense we play. 

Oh well, most of us have beat this dead horse to death so all we can do is wait and see if Irsay makes any changes after the season is over. I do feel as another poster said here, my once fanatic football fandom has diminished from pure joy and excitement for Sunday's to a now oh yeah, the colts play today. Which team am I going to see today?? And then I'm either like meh, they won or irritated about how they played poorly against another average to below average team and frustrated. Pagano's approach has about sucked the football joy from me. 

He's just not good IMO. Wasn't good in college. He's fast and nothing else. He's a better athlete than player. Have no idea why anyone would have him rated as a 1st round talent since Al Davis passed years ago. Wonder what the discussion was when scouting him

"Is he fast"? Yes

"Can he play" Maybe

"Draft him"

No matter how you sugar coat it, Dorsett is a bust! He may stick awhile and even be more of an impact on offense next season. But he wasn't that great at the U and with  a history of injuries. He was a reach in the first round. Especially with all the holes we had to fill. Grigson saw a vision because of his world class speed. Truth is he's not that good. 

Dorsett looks like a UDFA right now. I'm just hoping he can play as well as a fifth rd pick soon. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's just not good IMO. Wasn't good in college. He's fast and nothing else. He's a better athlete than player. Have no idea why anyone would have him rated as a 1st round talent since Al Davis passed years ago. Wonder what the discussion was when scouting him

"Is he fast"? Yes

"Can he play" Maybe

"Draft him"

LOL, our post were almost identical. But yes, I agree 100%.

I actually defended the pick at the time. Part of it was my lack of knowledge when it came to college players, so I just had to trust Grigson.

The problem I have with Dorset is that speed is his only asset. If he gets, at all, slowed down by injuries, he is not going to have the other skills to make up for his one strength disappearing. 

I will say this, Dorsett has missed a LOT of time, so there is still potential there to get better WITH coaching, practice, and being used correctly.  Sorta like Vic Beasley from the Falcons who most said was a bust after last year as well.  He is bouncing back nicely.  Anybody realize where he is on the sack list right now?  If you don't know I won't spoil it for you.  Hint: he's above Von Miller.

I don't see Dorsett living up to his first round draft status.

Has he made some big plays? Yes.

Could he play better if he is put in different situations? Possibly.

At the end of the day he simply hasn't shown that he is a good player. It's unlikely he receives a second contract from the Colts if he isn't cut before his current one ends.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

He's being outplayed by an undrafted guy in Rogers.  Stop with the excuses.

I agree with the notion that Dorsett's clearly an unspectacular WR3 at this point.  But Rogers has not outperformed Dorsett.

Rogers - 15 receptions on 27 targets for 201 yards and 0 TDs (55.6% catch rate).  Has 2 fumbles this year.

Dorsett - 29 receptions on 55 targets for 472 yards and 2 TDs (52.7% catch rate).  1 fumble this year.

Dorsett had 1 very bad game with all of the drops against the Texans.  No way to sugarcoat it.  It was bad.  But he was getting open.

Was Dorsett a surefire 1st rounder?  No, probably not.  Does he have room for improvement?  Absolutely, yes.  He has improved dramatically as a route runner.  His post corner against the Vikings was a thing of beauty.  He absolutely torched the Vikings' safeties on that play.

If you watch the film, the offensive staff does not really do much to "feature" Dorsett.  He's oftentimes used to take the top off of coverage so T.Y. and Moncrief can operate in the intermediate range.  That's just a reality.  It's frustrating for everyone because Dorsett hasn't consistently produced like a first-round pick.

However, he has flashed first-round ability, at times.  Dorsett might continue to improve, and a new offensive coaching staff may figure out better ways to utilize him.

24 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I agree with the notion that Dorsett's clearly an unspectacular WR3 at this point.  But Rogers has not outperformed Dorsett.

Rogers - 15 receptions on 27 targets for 201 yards and 0 TDs (55.6% catch rate).  Has 2 fumbles this year.

Dorsett - 29 receptions on 55 targets for 472 yards and 2 TDs (52.7% catch rate).  1 fumble this year.

Dorsett had 1 very bad game with all of the drops against the Texans.  No way to sugarcoat it.  It was bad.  But he was getting open.

Was Dorsett a surefire 1st rounder?  No, probably not.  Does he have room for improvement?  Absolutely, yes.  He has improved dramatically as a route runner.  His post corner against the Vikings was a thing of beauty.  He absolutely torched the Vikings' safeties on that play.

If you watch the film, the offensive staff does not really do much to "feature" Dorsett.  He's oftentimes used to take the top off of coverage so T.Y. and Moncrief can operate in the intermediate range.  That's just a reality.  It's frustrating for everyone because Dorsett hasn't consistently produced like a first-round pick.

However, he has flashed first-round ability, at times.  Dorsett might continue to improve, and a new offensive coaching staff may figure out better ways to utilize him.

That's because Dorsett gets more playing time due to,his draft slot.  Rogers has outplayed him when given playing time.

8 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I like him as a person but he is what he is he was a super reach because of his 40time. His college production was weak nth I saw on tape or the stats said he should be a 1St rd guy I had him as a late 2nd guy .but after his 40 grigson could resist even when we had moncreif, Hilton, fleener and Allen he still thought it made sense to draft a project prospect in the 1St round .smh

Grigs was channeling the late Al Davis who fell in love with Darius Heyward-Bey's 40 time and, as a result, made a major reach. At least Heyward-Bey has size and downfield blocking ability. Hopefully, Dorsett will develop into something worthwhile.