Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB's dropping like flies; now Elijah Hood going back to school....

Hood has ruled himself out of the Sun Bowl due to minor injuries....  and he says he's going back to school and will not be in the 2017 draft.

This is BAD news for those who wanted the Colts to draft a running back in R4 or later.      The draft has now lost Chubb (R2 or R3)   Freeman  (R3 or R4)  and now Hood  (R4 or R5)        I thought all of them would've been a fit with the Colts.      Not good.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18334752/elijah-hood-north-carolina-sun-bowl-undisclosed-medical-reason

I honestly would go almost all Defense in this Draft anyway. I think Gore can give us 1 more year of decent play, then his contract is up. 2018 Draft try for a RB after Gore retires. Between Gore and Turbin next season we could be fine if Andrew stays healthy and the passing game is like it was at Pack, Titans, at Jets, and at Minny. I am hopeful the O.Line will be better as well which will help Gore, Kelly getting a year under his belt is huge.

Looks like we have to draft our RB. with our first pick. We have no luck with RB in the later rounds.  With these guys going back to school the top three will all go in the first.  There probably will be a rush on ER in the beginning of the draft so for us, considering where our pick will be,  BPA in a position of need will probably be a RB anyway but we won't really know until we see their grades.  If we finish 8-8 or 9-7 we will probably be drafting 18 or later so we have to make it count like last year.  Need to get our ER in FA: Melvin Ingram.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like we have to draft our RB. with our first pick. We have no luck with RB in the later rounds.  With these guys going back to school the top three will all go in the first.  There probably will be a rush on ER in the beginning of the draft so for us, considering where our pick will be,  BPA in a position of need will probably be a RB anyway but we won't really know until we see their grades.  If we finish 8-8 or 9-7 we will probably be drafting 18 or later so we have to make it count like last year.  Need to get our ER in FA: Melvin Ingram.

Hold on Big Fella!        I wasn't trying to suggest anything like picking a RB in the 1st round.

And where have we had "no luck" with drafting a RB in the later rounds?      We took Ballard in the 5th or 6th round and he worked out well until he got hurt.      But getting hurt has nothing to do with what round he was picked.        And we took the Robinson kid late in the 6th.      No surprise that he didn't work out.

Off the top of my head those are the only two RB's we took late....       Am I forgetting someone?

I'd still rather draft a RB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round.      There are lots of guys.    I'm currently tracking roughly two dozen RB's.       Just because we lost a few kids,  doesn't mean we have to change our draft strategy...    We're not at that point yet.....

It depends on what kind of back we are looking at.

Do you want someone that is another stop gap or do you want someone to complement what Turbin brings to the table? Have we ever considered a serious RBC with Turbin at the lead? How about signing a guy like Danny Woodhead to complement Turbin if Gore is close to retirement? I'd personally like that. That would put an end to a search for the change of pace back that can pass protect and make guys miss in space, IMO. 

Turbin, Gore and Woodhead would make one heck of a combo, IMO. Turbin is only 27. 

It hurts don't get me wrong. Especially Freeman who I liked in the 3rd. BUT......This is still a loaded class. That hurts the depth, but there's still good depth. We can still get a feature back in the 3rd IMO. I could name off a handful of kids I like in the 3rd round. Then IMO we need to turn around and pick up another back in the 4th or 5th. We need youth. I'd let Gore go and save whatever we would have paid him. RB is one thing that's fairly easy to find. I know you didn't imply we should take a RB in the 1st NCF, but I'm going to go ahead and say this to the ones of you who like the idea of going RB 1. But there's no way whatsoever we need to do that. We don't have that luxury. But look at all the great RB's who've went in the 2nd and later. David Johnson was a 3rd. We just have to do a better job at finding talent in both the draft and FA. We need to find a Jordan Howard in the 4th or 5th. Or Jay Ajai ??? I don't remember how to spell his last name, but know that's not right LOL.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Turbin, Gore and Woodhead would make one heck of a combo, IMO. Turbin is only 27.

Turbin has started to become a more pivotal cog in our running & screen game as of late & I've always liked Danny Woodhead who can grind out yards if he has to. I even liked him when he pretended to be a footlocker salesman to get customers to buy his jersey & some fans were like Danny who? 

I like dudes who are professionals at their position, but don't care about being popular or beloved outside of the organization they play for. Woodhead is a good guy. He understands field position, he doesn't cough up the ball a lot, & he will convert must have 3rd downs when they are difference between winning or missing the playoffs entirely. A nice trio there Chad. I'd be cool with that back lineup too. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It depends on what kind of back we are looking at.

Do you want someone that is another stop gap or do you want someone to complement what Turbin brings to the table? Have we ever considered a serious RBC with Turbin at the lead? How about signing a guy like Danny Woodhead to complement Turbin if Gore is close to retirement? I'd personally like that. That would put an end to a search for the change of pace back that can pass protect and make guys miss in space, IMO. 

Let me see if I follow you correctly....

With a RB class of near historic level,  you want to pass on all the backs and make Turbin #1, Gore #2 and sign a Danny Woodhead to #3....     am I following correctly?

If so....    who are you,  and what have done with my man, Chad?     Let him go unharmed and send him back to Colts.com and there will be no questions asked....

:peek:

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With a RB class of near historic level,  you want to pass on all the backs and make Turbin #1, Gore #2 and sign a Danny Woodhead to #3....     am I following correctly?

If so....    who are you,  and what have done with my man, Chad?     Let him go unharmed and send him back to Colts.com and there will be no questions asked....

Does this mean you dislike his RB choices because of either age or talent level? I realize you are joking NCF. I guess I don't get the joke. There is no harm in going after experienced ball carriers. It's not like Woodhead is constantly on the PUP list. If you prefer speed vs a seasoned vet, I get that on one level. 

Or maybe you simply disagree about the RB rotation order by committee perhaps. 

This kinda crossed my mind awhile back, with all the talk of this being an almost historic deep draft class how many kids would return too school after hearing that? I mean I definitely would if I was a good running back that would normally go first or second day but with this draft probably wouldn't even get looked at until 4th or later. Good for the teams, kinda bad for the players

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, I know exactly what I am talking about.

If you want to get hung up on the RB class of historic level, it surely is up to you. I am not falling for that. Everyone in the draft is the greatest thing since sliced bread till they end up in the NFL and become another run-of-the-mill RB. The draft is not a sure thing, you should know that as well. I just do not see the desperation. I see Turbin and Gore and do not see a back that can quickly turn around, is shifty, makes people miss, and can get that critical 1st down yardage, that is why it is worth going after Woodhead. That comes with experience and a good understanding of down and distance, not something that comes easily to rookies. I don't want to draft a back just because of its class' perceived status unless our guys are missing holes like crazy, they are not. It is not like we are stuck with guys like T.Rich with a lack of vision. 

Your bias towards the draft class should not let you ignore what you can get out of seasoned vets that will provide pass protection (something rookies again will have to make lots of strides in) and have a greater understanding of offenses. I am not opposed to drafting one in later rounds to bring along slowly but I do strongly feel about having a good tandem of Turbin, Gore and Woodhead. It was not too far ago that we had Bradshaw protecting Luck well and getting tons of catches and runs and being productive with Luck. Woodhead is better on the catching front, and that is a role he would gladly embrace with vets like Gore and a bruiser like Turbin on the roster.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, I know exactly what I am talking about.

If you want to get hung up on the RB class of historic level, it surely is up to you. I am not falling for that. Everyone in the draft is the greatest thing since sliced bread till they end up in the NFL and become another run-of-the-mill RB. The draft is not a sure thing, you should know that as well. I just do not see the desperation. I see Turbin and Gore and do not see a back that can quickly turn around, is shifty, makes people miss, and can get that critical 1st down yardage, that is why it is worth going after Woodhead. That comes with experience and a good understanding of down and distance, not something that comes easily to rookies. I don't want to draft a back just because of its class' perceived status unless our guys are missing holes like crazy, they are not. It is not like we are stuck with guys like T.Rich with a lack of vision.

Your bias towards the draft class should not let you ignore what you can get out of seasoned vets that will provide pass protection (something rookies again will have to make lots of strides in) and have a greater understanding of offenses. I am not opposed to drafting one in later rounds but I do strongly feel about having a good tandem of Turbin, Gore and Woodhead. It was not too far ago that we had Bradshaw protecting Luck well and getting tons of catches and runs and being productive with Luck. Woodhead is better on the catching front, and that is a role he would gladly embrace with vets like Gore and a bruiser like Turbin on the roster.

Gore has one more year, and unlike others here,  I'd like to bring him back for one more year.

I have publicly stated my desire to bring back Turbin as well.

I'm also OK using a 4th round pick on a RB as opposed to a 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But running back is a need.     I don't want an OK back for our future.     I'd like at least a solid back if not better.      Our offense needs that.      I'm not drafting a RB for next year only.      I'm drafting a RB for the next 5-6 years.      And when you've got roughly 25 backs who the Colts should seriously be considering,  I think either not taking one at all,  or taking one late in the draft is borderline malpractice for our front office.

I'd be beyond shocked if we took our RB of the future in a round later than the 4th.

I'm surprised you don't view it that way,  but I guess that's what makes the world go around.....

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Does this mean you dislike his RB choices because of either age or talent level? I realize you are joking NCF. I guess I don't get the joke. There is no harm in going after experienced ball carriers. It's not like Woodhead is constantly on the PUP list. If you prefer speed vs a seasoned vet, I get that on one level. 

Or maybe you simply disagree about the RB rotation order by committee perhaps. 

I was surprised at Chad's viewpoint and would not be satisfied with a trio next year of Turbin, Gore and Woodhead.     I'd like a solid young back out of this coming draft class.     I'd be OK waiting until the 4th round so long as the picks in the first three rounds are all on defense.    

Chad thinks his trio would be fine next year and is not all that interested in a back from the 2017 RB class.   I don't share that view and was trying to express my surprise with humor.....

Apparently Chad didn't get my joke and may have even taken offense to it.......

Okie-dokie.....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gore has one more year, and unlike others here,  I'd like to bring him back for one more year.

I have publicly stated my desire to bring back Turbin as well.

I'm also OK using a 4th round pick on a RB as opposed to a 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But running back is a need.     I don't want an OK back for our future.     I'd like at least a solid back if not better.      Our offense needs that.      I'm not drafting a RB for next year only.      I'm drafting a RB for the next 5-6 years.      And when you've got roughly 25 backs who the Colts should seriously be considering,  I think either not taking one at all,  or taking one late in the draft is borderline malpractice for our front office.

I'd be beyond shocked if we took our RB of the future in a round later than the 4th.

I'm surprised you don't view it that way,  but I guess that's what makes the world go around.....

That is one thing I would be fine with. I just believe we need a pass catching RB and not rely on a rookie to get that particular job done. That is why Woodhead. The other point of view is, there is a good chance one of those 25 drops to round 5 or later as well given the depth of the class. That is why I won't be shocked if it happens beyond round 4 either.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was surprised at Chad's viewpoint and would not be satisfied with a trio next year of Turbin, Gore and Woodhead.     I'd like a solid young back out of this coming draft class.     I'd be OK waiting until the 4th round so long as the picks in the first three rounds are all on defense.    

Chad thinks his trio would be fine next year and is not all that interested in a back from the 2017 RB class.   I don't share that view and was trying to express my surprise with humor.....

Okie-dokie.....

I got your humor but the style was getting old, and it is late at night and I am in no mood to pacify anyone but myself with sleep. :) Maybe you should try something new next time. :thmup:

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is one thing I would be fine with. I just believe we need a pass catching RB and not rely on a rookie to get that particular job done. That is why Woodhead. The other point of view is, there is a good chance one of those 25 drops to round 5 or later as well given the depth of the class. That is why I won't be shocked if it happens beyond round 4 either.

Well....    I agree with you about one or more of those 25 dropping below round 5.....    that's why I've consistently advocated for taking TWO RB's in this draft.      One in R's 2-4 and the other in R6.      I want two bites out of the apple in this draft class,  not just one.

As for the tired old humor....    I figured that was safest rather than trying something new that perhaps you wouldn't be familiar with.      With the old stuff, at least you'd know that I was kidding and wouldn't be offended.

Then again.....    maybe not.      Hope you get a good night's sleep.

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Okie-dokie.....

Thanks for the clarification NCF. I wasn't calling you out in a negative way just to be clear. I appreciate you cutting through the fog. As you know, I don't do mock draft scenarios on here. I read em, but I don't construct or create them. I just focus on what guys make the roster & how well the team utilizes their athletic talents overall. 

Chad's cool. He knows the regulars & what members like your yourself who actually know how to debate & carry on an intelligent conversation. Okie-dokie confirmed. I did enjoy your line: 

" Let him go unharmed and send him back to Colts.com and there will be no questions asked...." Very Stockholm Syndrome-esque haha

57 minutes ago, chad72 said:

a back that can quickly turn around, is shifty, makes people miss, and can get that critical 1st down yardage, that is why it is worth going after Woodhead. That comes with experience and a good understanding of down and distance, not something that comes easily to rookies.

Beautifully stated Chad. Danny Woodhead has a knack for keeping drives alive, he's solid on blitz pickup, & he rarely fumbles. I still scratch my head as to why NE let him go to San Diego. I know BB has a habit of not offering RBs lucrative 2nd contracts, but I always liked this kid's will to win & enduring the necessary punishment to take his team to the next level. 

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for the clarification NCF. I wasn't calling you out in a negative way just to be clear. I appreciate you cutting through the fog. As you know, I don't do mock draft scenarios on here. I read em, but I don't construct or create them. I just focus on what guys make the roster & how well the team utilizes their athletic talents overall. 

Chad's cool. He knows the regulars & what members like your yourself who actually know how to debate & carry on an intelligent conversation. Okie-dokie confirmed. I did enjoy your line: 

" Let him go unharmed and send him back to Colts.com and there will be no questions asked...." Very Stockholm Syndrome-esque haha

To be clear,   I'm a Chad fan too.      I use a line like that with posters who I like when they surprise me.....   

He's a smart guy and he knows his football.     This website is lucky to have him as a regular poster.

I was just caught off guard by this particular viewpoint.      Not a big deal,  I was trying to have fun with it,  but I think I caught him at the wrong time.....

We live to post another day!

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I use a line like that with posters who I like when they surprise me.....   

I figured that's what you meant. Sort of a canary in the coal mine moment. No one is being deprived of oxygen of course. All it means is that an unexpected turn threw you for a loop or a watershed moment has just transpired. 

Yeah, I knew you were kidding. I just didn't know what the breadcrumbs meant. I do now. It's all good. 

"We live to fight another day"....

Your line reminds me of a scene from the Monty Python movie "The Meaning Of Life: Fighting Each Other." A sarcastic WWI trench warfare skit about a commander & his troops pinned down on the battlefield as British soldiers in the Army. What makes the scene so funny is that the troops bring the commander 2 clocks & a lemon cake to celebrate their affection for him on his birthday.

The commander wants to flee to safety, but his men lay a huge guilt trip on him to eat the cake despite enemy snippers closing in on their position with each passing moment. In addition, the actors of Monty Python do a wonderful job of mocking being prim & proper on the battlefield knowing full well they will all perish as they consume the cake because these Englishmen don't want to offend the soldier who baked the dessert itself you know. LOL! 

If Fournette or Cook is there when we pick, you take one of them. NO QUESTIONING THAT. I understand our defense needs the attention but so does Luck. With an explosive back, that would relieve pressure from Luck and the offensive line. Waiting till later rounds would not be smart. By not having a running game, teams will continue to play the pass and make lives miserable for us fans. If both RBs are gone, then and only then will I take the best available defensive player.

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

If Fournette or Cook is there when we pick, you take one of them. NO QUESTIONING THAT. I understand our defense needs the attention but so does Luck. With an explosive back, that would relieve pressure from Luck and the offensive line. Waiting till later rounds would not be smart. By not having a running game, teams will continue to play the pass and make lives miserable for us fans. If both RBs are gone, then and only then will I take the best available defensive player.

You know what else can help relieve pressure from Luck? If he had a solid defense that wouldn't force him to score 30 a game to win. 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

You know what else can help relieve pressure from Luck? If he had a solid defense that wouldn't force him to score 30 a game to win. 

True. But we are talking about one player on the offensive side of the ball vs multiple players we have to HIT ON in the draft. I'm not saying ignore the defense. I'm with you. But a talent like Cooks and Fournettes is a can't pass on. But I agree with you

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

both points are true.  defense and a running game will both help the team win

my opinion is if Fournette is there we wont pass.  cook would get a strong consideration and may be the pick depending on the board.

Why is no one here talking about Marlon Mack?

First 2 years of production (both backs are similar in size):

Dalvin Cook - 399 carries 2,699 yds 27 TD
Marlon Mack - 412 carries 2,422 yds 17 TD

He is the kind of low mileage back that might work out at the next level for a balanced offense in the NFL.

He is patient with the holes forming with his OL and I like his vision.

Mack is interesting to me. He definitely has the vision and playmaking ability to be a feature back on Sundays. My concern with him is his build and ball security. He looks a little bit like McCaffrey with his slender frame and upright running style. He also is loose with the ball in the open field. I'm not seeing fumble statistics anywhere, but better talent on defense will take advantage of that bad habit. 

The ball security is easily correctable. I had the same concerns with Tevin Coleman coming out as he would always carry with his left hand but he has improved that this year in Atlanta. I will be interested to see how Mack weighs out at the combine. It's hard for me to imagine him being a 3-down workhouse if he is truly 6'0" and only 200lbs.

5 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Mack is interesting to me. He definitely has the vision and playmaking ability to be a feature back on Sundays. My concern with him is his build and ball security. He looks a little bit like McCaffrey with his slender frame and upright running style. He also is loose with the ball in the open field. I'm not seeing fumble statistics anywhere, but better talent on defense will take advantage of that bad habit. 

The ball security is easily correctable. I had the same concerns with Tevin Coleman coming out as he would always carry with his left hand but he has improved that this year in Atlanta. I will be interested to see how Mack weighs out at the combine. It's hard for me to imagine him being a 3-down workhouse if he is truly 6'0" and only 200lbs.

Here are some fumble stats for college season 2016:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumble-category

Dalvin Cook at #30 with 6 fumbles, Marlon Mack at #85 with 4 fumbles

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hood has ruled himself out of the Sun Bowl due to minor injuries....  and he says he's going back to school and will not be in the 2017 draft.

This is BAD news for those who wanted the Colts to draft a running back in R4 or later.      The draft has now lost Chubb (R2 or R3)   Freeman  (R3 or R4)  and now Hood  (R4 or R5)        I thought all of them would've been a fit with the Colts.      Not good.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18334752/elijah-hood-north-carolina-sun-bowl-undisclosed-medical-reason

RB's are noticing that this draft class is pretty deep at the position.  If they can go back to school and come back healthy they probably improve their draft stock next year.  

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Why is no one here talking about Marlon Mack?

First 2 years of production (both backs are similar in size):

Dalvin Cook - 399 carries 2,699 yds 27 TD
Marlon Mack - 412 carries 2,422 yds 17 TD

He is the kind of low mileage back that might work out at the next level for a balanced offense in the NFL.

He is patient with the holes forming with his OL and I like his vision.

Answer: Because one plays for Florida State and the other one for South Florida.  

Not necessarily making a statement on the players, but that's why one is being talked about and the other one is more unknown.

58 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Answer: Because one plays for Florida State and the other one for South Florida.  

Not necessarily making a statement on the players, but that's why one is being talked about and the other one is more unknown.

Agree.

This guy that is high on Mack, made some good points on how Mack has been used. 

Just thought I'd share: http://footballdrafting.com/lookout-for-the-mack-attack-39202/

Things that stood out to me:

The patience that Mack plays with is something that simply cannot be taught, and is a product of pure instinct. While many would consider Mack’s running style as hesitant, and might label him as unfit for the NFL game, the truth is that he is exactly what an NFL team needs.

Mack has also benefited from being utilized in many different running situations; ranging from zone-runs, delays, single back and running behind a lead blocker.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really liked Chubb, we need to get Fournette,  Cook, or McCaffery..I like Turbin and Todman both as backups. .McCaffery is the next Marshall Faulk in my opinion, he can be used at RB , and would be a nightmare for defenses lined up as a slot receiver as well...Fournette could be Bo Jackson, Cook could be Edgerrin James..This has to be the year we finally get our franchise back..

38 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Really liked Chubb, we need to get Fournette,  Cook, or McCaffery..I like Turbin and Todman both as backups. .McCaffery is the next Marshall Faulk in my opinion, he can be used at RB , and would be a nightmare for defenses lined up as a slot receiver as well...Fournette could be Bo Jackson, Cook could be Edgerrin James..This has to be the year we finally get our franchise back..

For my money,  this has to be the start of our efforts to finally build a defense.      We can get a RB in the 2nd, or 3rd or even the 4th round.   

But we've mostly ignored the defense for 5 years because it's taken us so long to finally build the offense.

The defense has to start now if we're ever going to slow teams up.     We have no play makers,   no difference makers,    no exciting talent on that side of the ball.      And we won't get it all in one draft.     It's likely going to take THREE DRAFTS to build a decent defense.       We need it,  and we need it now......

The RB draft class is so good that we can get a good RB even without Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey,  all of whom I really love.....    (just not more than defense....)

p.s. --- good to see you posting more....     don't be a stranger....

I have been watching NCF, felt the need to bring life to the forum...I disagree on getting RB in later rounds, while possible not likely we have tried that..RB is our only weakness on offense..I think its well worth it to get a true thoroughbred in round 1 or 2 and our offense is scary..I agree after that rest of draft and free agency should be defense, defense, defense..We have playmakers on d, Anderson will be back to his old self next yr, McGill and Ridgeway are rare fast twitch dt's in warren sapp mold, Vontae davis is still young lockdown corner, sky is the limit for T.J Green, Geathers is bob sanders 2.0 in every aspect including health unfortunately. .Edwin Jackson is a gift and stands out on the eyeball test, Morrison is a physical run stopping beast who I think will really show once the NFL speed slows down, Im high on Maggitt,  he is coming off injury I expect him to flash next yr. We r not devoid of talent..Give Grigson his props...Our o-line will be special soon...Dorsett pick was necessary cause Hilton could've left, it's confidence with him but the rare speed is evident just needs opportunity and confidence...All we need is a real man at Head coach and the sky is the limit for this team...2 years from now we should be a dominant team, maybe next year..

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I have been watching NCF, felt the need to bring life to the forum...I disagree on getting RB in later rounds, while possible not likely we have tried that..RB is our only weakness on offense..I think its well worth it to get a true thoroughbred in round 1 or 2 and our offense is scary..I agree after that rest of draft and free agency should be defense, defense, defense..We have playmakers on d, Anderson will be back to his old self next yr, McGill and Ridgeway are rare fast twitch dt's in warren sapp mold, Vontae davis is still young lockdown corner, sky is the limit for T.J Green, Geathers is bob sanders 2.0 in every aspect including health unfortunately. .Edwin Jackson is a gift and stands out on the eyeball test, Morrison is a physical run stopping beast who I think will really show once the NFL speed slows down, Im high on Maggitt,  he is coming off injury I expect him to flash next yr. We r not devoid of talent..Give Grigson his props...Our o-line will be special soon...Dorsett pick was necessary cause Hilton could've left, it's confidence with him but the rare speed is evident just needs opportunity and confidence...All we need is a real man at Head coach and the sky is the limit for this team...2 years from now we should be a dominant team, maybe next year..

You overrated a lot of players and exaggerated a lot of details in that post. However I agree with your point about getting a RB early. The last 2 years we've been saying how the Colts can always get a RB later. And now the guys we hoped didn't fall to us in round 1 (Gurley, Gordon, Elliot) are looking like great players. History could repeat itself if we pass on Fournette and Cook.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You overrated a lot of players and exaggerated a lot of details in that post. However I agree with your point about getting a RB early. The last 2 years we've been saying how the Colts can always get a RB later. And now the guys we hoped didn't fall to us in round 1 (Gurley, Gordon, Elliot) are looking like great players. History could repeat itself if we pass on Fournette and Cook.

The history that repeats itself could be our LB's being some of the worst in the league and we continue to spend our early picks on the other side of the ball. 

We need to address the D and this is the class to do it. The  LB group the focus. This draft could easily yield upgrades at OLB ILB CB2. 

A guy like Williams or Hunt Day 3 would be great value. McGuire UL Lay is small school kid in the mold of Dixon. He is one of the best receiving RB's in the draft. We could look at a guy like Ellington in FA. RB can be addressed with using a high pick. 

I'd take that risk on mcaccfrey early that man can ball. He's a little small but I'm sure be can bulk up more if needed has great vision and elusiveness  deceptive power haven't seen him blocking but with the vision he has I'm sure he can see when he needs to pick up a block but his skills as a receiver and returner make him look more juicy