Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did Clark play today?

rock8591

4 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Any ideas? I didn't catch much of the game. What about Harrison at LG?

Tbh I didn't notice him much on the pass game but saw him on screens and run game so from the naked eye test I said he played well at least better than reitz, he will most likely be the starter at rt next yr with heag at rg unless good other plays him. 

No sacks allowed. 2 QB hits allowed....neither by him. Opened up a couple running lanes for Gore

A bit of an odd game all around. Bradford completed 32 of his 42 pass attempts on us for 291 yards 0 td's and 1 pick and he was sacked 5 times. Peterson who was coming off injury had only 6 carries for 22 yards.

Gore had 26 carries for 101 yards, Turbin 7 carries 32 yards and 2 TD's. Todman 4 carries 19 yards. Basically whoever we chose to run was running well

The play calling sure helped but when the colts did go long Luck had plenty of time.....not sure how MN is against tight ends but I know Houston is one of the best in the league covering them.......but also the Colts ran for 161 yards today and Luck only had 8 of them.....o line has only given up 9 sacks the last 6 games.....they're really trending the right direction.

I dont recall Minn blitzing very much. And we did a great job of establishing the run game and mixing things up. The game plan kept the quarterback up right and minimized or eliminated turnovers altogether. If we use this game plan against KC or Houston we win. But of course we seem to only get smart at the wrong time.

I was very encouraged by Clark today... You gotta think that he's "on schedule" with regard to his "project" status.

I'm pretty stoked about the OL for next year when Kelly, Haeg, and Clark have all had a full off-season to add to their experience. Harrison, Reitz, Good, and Blythe should be quality backups...

Indy needs to do more of what we saw today as far as the quick throws and underneath stuff is concerned. It really helped us dominate TOP against a very good defense this afternoon. 

16 minutes ago, Archangel said:

I wonder was it due to the three step drop and quick passes that helped slow the vikings down a bit, the slants and the quick tosses to the TE did help but over all the OL did a good job of protecting luck today

i just have one question.....

where the (beep) has this game plan been all year long?

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly..as krunk also stayed a couple posts up, they play like this when it isn't as important. Season on the line???Dud, Jets on the road destroyed them...

They just have zero consistency.

Like some have joked about here I would not be surprised one bit if all they need is a win in Jacksonville to get in and they freaking lose.

That is the thing with multiple rookies on an offensive line (especially when they are on the same side), they TAKE TIME to get acclimated to the NFL, their OLine teammates, etc. We have been fortunate with Kelly coming in Day 1 and contributing as an above-average starter with Pro-Bowl potential but for most cases (especially when Haeg and Clark are not 1st or 2nd round picks) it takes time for Offensive linemen to develop consistency. I really do believe that with another offseason our offensive lineman will look much better next season. Maybe sign a veteran lineman or two that can play Tackle but I really do think that Haeg and Kelly are our future and Clark certainly has the tools for it as well but needs some extra time to develop. 

I am more worried about our defense, especially our linebackers and depleted/hurt secondary. 

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Exactly..as krunk also stayed a couple posts up, they play like this when it isn't as important. Season on the line???Dud, Jets on the road destroyed them...

They just have zero consistency.

Like some have joked about here I would not be surprised one bit if all they need is a win in Jacksonville to get in and they freaking lose.

The talking head announcer on CBS was wrong. The game was not IN Jacksonville. It was in the freak London environment. Jet lag can bedevil you for days. I know from personal experience. If the NFL wants level competition they will eliminate the stupid international games. No, the NFL wants to expand the marketplace for its licensed merchandise.

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I was very encouraged by Clark today... You gotta think that he's "on schedule" with regard to his "project" status.

I'm pretty stoked about the OL for next year when Kelly, Haeg, and Clark have all had a full off-season to add to their experience. Harrison, Reitz, Good, and Blythe should be quality backups...

Indy needs to do more of what we saw today as far as the quick throws and underneath stuff is concerned. It really helped us dominate TOP against a very good defense this afternoon. 

Idk Harrison may take a starting guard spot was killing it at guard.without adding anyone I could see it as Castanzo Mewhort Kelly Harrison and Clark 

1 hour ago, GoBlue12 said:

The talking head announcer on CBS was wrong. The game was not IN Jacksonville. It was in the freak London environment. Jet lag can bedevil you for days. I know from personal experience. If the NFL wants level competition they will eliminate the stupid international games. No, the NFL wants to expand the marketplace for its licensed merchandise.

Completely agree and i got heated rd messages and called ignorant when I said the same thing 9 months ago

55 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I watched Clark on every play. He did fine but he gets pushed back to the QB far too often. If he can add a little strength and technique to correct that , he's a keeper. But IMO there were some close calls because of this.

He and Haag have the same problem but it's nothing a little more weight and strength conditioning can't fix in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Idk Harrison may take a starting guard spot was killing it at guard.without adding anyone I could see it as Castanzo Mewhort Kelly Harrison and Clark 

Any PFF grades on him he balled out when he came in for Kelly then Mewhort also . Getting great push in the run game and tossing d line aside trying to bull rush . This is from the ole eye test

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Keep in mind this coaching staff can sometimes NOT stick to stuff that works lol.  We could go back to seeing the same old stuff next weekend vs the Raiders.  I did notice Luck got the ball out quick today with some zip on multiple occasions.  They ran the playaction well also which sometimes they hardly utilize. 

45 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Any PFF grades on him he balled out when he came in for Kelly then Mewhort also . Getting great push in the run game and tossing d line aside trying to bull rush . This is from the ole eye test

I didn't see PFF's grade for him, but I did read where they said that Harrison was the only OL with a run blocking grade under 70... Didn't look that way, to me, but I'm no expert analyst. 

40 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Keep in mind this coaching staff can sometimes NOT stick to stuff that works lol.  We could go back to seeing the same old stuff next weekend vs the Raiders.  I did notice Luck got the ball out quick today with some zip on multiple occasions.  They ran the playaction well also which sometimes they hardly utilize. 

Part of the problem with our play action is you need to run the ball decently to execute 

I thought there was concerted effort by the Colts to get rid off the ball quickly, when possible. This is from me watching the game and not Clark specifically, but he seemed to get pushed back a bit, needs to work on his strength and leverage in pass protection, but his awesome length showed up too in a couple of instances where he gave Luck just enough time to either escape the collapsing pocket or to make a throw before the defender got to him. He also showed some nice blocks in the running game. Overall I'd say it was a very positive game for Clark and the O-line as a whole.

16 hours ago, dw49 said:

I watched Clark on every play. He did fine but he gets pushed back to the QB far too often. If he can add a little strength and technique to correct that , he's a keeper. But IMO there were some close calls because of this.

He got pushed back a LOT. He got beat wide a LOT, but scheming allowed for Luck to step up or run, as the others did well.  Clark appeared lost in the second level on most runs, but for a rookie, first time starter against a really good Defense, I thought he did much better than I expected!  The kid showed promise.  You are right, let them build his strength  (Haeg too), and he can be decent.

Harrison has been a pleasant surprise. Hope not so much that they try to reinvent the Mewhort RT experiment, tho...

19 hours ago, Archangel said:

I wonder was it due to the three step drop and quick passes that helped slow the vikings down a bit, the slants and the quick tosses to the TE did help but over all the OL did a good job of protecting luck today

Bingo! Not sure why it took us so long to figure it out.