Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tough call next year on Frank Gore

ztboiler

For much of the year I've thought we should bring Gore back for the last year of his contract at age 34 while developing a rookie with him.  There is still a case to be made for that.

However, I think there is a stronger case to be made in accordance with the old adage that Gore is just good enough to get you beat.

If an inside runner isn't a legitimate threat to bounce it outside then you've made your team much too easy to defend.  That is our current reality when Gore carries and he gets most of them.

He also turns screen and swing passes that might gain 15 into 8 routinely.

We would certainly give something up to let him go, but I think we are giving up even more if we keep him....

Even at a modest 3.5M cost, that is money we could use to replace him or buy half a number 2 corner....and his contract was never designed to have him stay for a third year....zero dead money.

I would be very surprised if he was not on the team next year.  His salary is not a big deal and he can still play and be a productive player.  He will probably be a 1000 yd. rusher this year and our line should be even better next year.  With a deep RB class I fully expect us to take one in the earlier rounds.  

I could be wrong, but my thinking is: the holes between the tackles aren't very big. Gore runs low and hits it hard. He gets 4 yards where another might get one. He gets 3 yards where another might get nothing. As long as this O-line is in the process of maturing, Gore's power may still be needed. I'm not opposed to the Colts drafting a RB, but I'm hoping they keep Gore. I don't want to see the Colts next year struggle to run straight ahead. 

We'd save $3.5 mil by cutting him.  Let him go to a team that can compete for Super Bowl in the last few years of his career while at the same time, making this roster younger.  Everybody wins.  As much as I like how he's played for the Colts this year, I don't think it makes any sense to keep him around

The running game improved once gore got here and obviously as the line has gotten better so has he. I think he is worth keeping. Why waste an early pick on a RB again? What's with drafting RB early? Especially in a deep RB class tell me what the point in drafting one early is? Can we please get the trenches taken care of before we abandon it again? 

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

For much of the year I've thought we should bring Gore back for the last year of his contract at age 34 while developing a rookie with him.  There is still a case to be made for that.

However, I think there is a stronger case to be made in accordance with the old adage that Gore is just good enough to get you beat.

If an inside runner isn't a legitimate threat to bounce it outside then you've made your team much too easy to defend.  That is our current reality when Gore carries and he gets most of them.

He also turns screen and swing passes that might gain 15 into 8 routinely.

We would certainly give something up to let him go, but I think we are giving up even more if we keep him....

Even at a modest 3.5M cost, that is money we could use to replace him or buy half a number 2 corner....and his contract was never designed to have him stay for a third year....zero dead money.

If he still wants to play I would let him go play for a contender.

Plenty of times where if we had a young faster back we could have runs taken to the house. So I'm all for getting a young stud guy in the draft.

That being said, Gore is doing absolutely fine. Ideally we'd draft a guy and use Turbin for the power short yardage situations until the rookie gets his bearings. 

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I question whether or not Frank Gore would want to be back. Especially if we miss the playoffs for two seasons in a row. 

i was just about to type the same thing. Frank may just decide to hang them up after this year. Who knows.  I know he wants a ring but I dont see that happening.

Right now we're 14th in yards per game, 7th in points per game, 11th in 1st downs per game and 5th in red zone TD percentage.

With all of that said, we're 25th in rush yards per game, 24th in yards per carry, 15th in rushing 1st downs and 18th in rushing touchdowns.

So, if bringing in a better back will take steps toward improving those abysmal numbers, I'm all for it.

Would it make sense to keep Gore as a backup?

I honestly think Gote does not want to be here. He wants to play behind a better offensive line and a team that can actually contend for a Super Bowl. 

If the Colts actually draft a decent running back, don't waste a pick, and can save money by cutting Gore it would be best for both. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would be very surprised if he was not on the team next year.  His salary is not a big deal and he can still play and be a productive player.  He will probably be a 1000 yd. rusher this year and our line should be even better next year.  With a deep RB class I fully expect us to take one in the earlier rounds.  

agreed..its easy to find running backs in lower rounds...too.

Unless he is hurt in the last 2 months here...I'd welcome him back

1 minute ago, bravo4460 said:

I honestly think Gote does not want to be here. He wants to play behind a better offensive line and a team that can actually contend for a Super Bowl. 

If the Colts actually draft a decent running back, don't waste a pick, and can save money by cutting Gore it would be best for both. 

He has said he wants to play on a playoff team.,.if we win 3 of out last 4....that's what he's doing.

..for an offensive skill player.....Indy and the AFC South are pretty good places be..

Regarding Gore, I think it is best that we let him go. I appreciate everything that he has done for the Colts (and everything he will do the rest of the season) but we need to draft a RB in one of the top 4 rounds with a lot of upside and let him loose in our offense.

Ideally, draft-wise, we draft a RB top four, MAYBE a OL in the later rounds but the rest of the picks should be defensive picks in my opinion (LB, CB atleast). Our O-line will only get better with Haeg and Kelly getting better and hopefully Clark develops some more and becomes our RT in the next year or two. That will allow for a decent opportunity for any RB that we draft. 

What mold RB do you guys think we should draft/would work best in our offense? Obviously, he has to be in pass protection and receive passes out of the backfield. 

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He has said he wants to play on a playoff team.,.if we win 3 of out last 4....that's what he's doing.

..for an offensive skill player.....Indy and the AFC South are pretty good places be..

I don’t think Gore just wants to make the playoffs though…I think he wants to have a legit chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Being the AFC South greatly increases the Colts chance of making the playoffs…but it doesn’t mean they are truly one of the best teams in the conference.

I don’t think any team in the AFC South deserved to make the playoffs last year nor do any of them deserve to make it this year. 

I can’t help but think Gore would choose to play on a team who is a legit Super Bowl contender if he has the choice.

Gore is very tight with Pagano and Chud going back to his college days.  He's had a solid season given the circumstances.  He came here to win a SB and I think if we make the playoffs and he sees the line improving he will want to stay and they will keep him.  Don't underestimate his importance in the locker room.  His work ethic is outstanding and he would be a great example to any young RB we draft.  He was on the street for awhile a couple of years ago before we signed him.  He is under contract for next year.  Unless he retires he's our player.  He is a bargain at his salary considering everything he brings to the team.  I really see him staying. 

Assuming the Colts are improved next year... I think he wants a ring, but I don't know how much of a diminished role he would be willing to take to get it. What team that is a better contender than the Colts could potentially be next year would need/use him as a feature back.  NE maybe?  SEA? 

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I don’t think Gore just wants to make the playoffs though…I think he wants to have a legit chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Being the AFC South greatly increases the Colts chance of making the playoffs…but it doesn’t mean they are truly one of the best teams in the conference.

I don’t think any team in the AFC South deserved to make the playoffs last year nor do any of them deserve to make it this year. 

I can’t help but think Gore would choose to play on a team who is a legit Super Bowl contender if he has the choice.

No, if you win your division, where you play teams twice, you deserve to make the playoffs.

If you make the playoffs you have a chance to reach the Super Bowl...and that's all a player can ask for

Havent spoken to him but I think that if we win the division, and get a home playoff game, Frank Gore will be very happy to be playing here.

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No, if you win your division, where you play teams twice, you deserve to make the playoffs.

If you make the playoffs you have a chance to reach the Super Bowl...and that's all a player can ask for

That may be the rules but I don't think it's always an indication of being a good football team. I think the AFC South has had sub-par teams last year and this year and can see Gore wanting to be on a better team. We can agree to disagree.

He wasn't happy earlier in the season because we were losing but things are looking a lot better now because we have a good shot at making the Playoffs. That is what he said he came here for was a chance at the big prize, getting into the Playoffs is a start. I have a feeling he is going to play his rear end off now. I think if we win the Division he will be back next season. We aren't over paying him so he isn't hurting our Cap either. He still is productive and brings leadership to the team.

33 minutes ago, ar7 said:

That may be the rules but I don't think it's always an indication of being a good football team. I think the AFC South has had sub-par teams last year and this year and can see Gore wanting to be on a better team. We can agree to disagree.

Like I brought up in another Thread the NFC West and AFC North have combined worse records than our Division so should that diminish the Steelers and Seahawks accomplishments if they win their Division?

I'd probably let him go unless we can bring him back really cheap. But we need to draft a RB in the 3rd, then another in the 4th or 5th. We need a young, explosive, playmaking RB, and this draft is deep with RB's. So we can most likely come out with a feature back in the 3rd round, and another good back to pair with him in the 4th or 5th.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd probably let him go unless we can bring him back really cheap. But we need to draft a RB in the 3rd, then another in the 4th or 5th. We need a young, explosive, playmaking RB, and this draft is deep with RB's. So we can most likely come out with a feature back in the 3rd round, and another good back to pair with him in the 4th or 5th.

I say keep him and Draft a RB in the 4th Round as well. My 1st 3 picks would be Defense then I would go RB that has speed.

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

If that were the case he wouldn't have come here in the first place.

Gore and Johnson have openly stated that they only signed becuase thought the Colts had the best chance to win a SB the year they signed. 

After last year Gore didn't want to be here.  When they didn't make the playoffs he was asked something in the line of if he's still happy he's here and he stated. "I'm still under contract, what can I do."

Now if your talking about the offensive line, you can't tell me anyone enjoys playing behind them. Lol

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Gore and Johnson have openly stated that they only signed becuase thought the Colts had the best chance to win a SB the year they signed. 

After last year Gore didn't want to be here.  When they didn't make the playoffs he was asked something in the line of if he's still happy he's here and he stated. "I'm still under contract, what can I do."

Now if your talking about the offensive line, you can't tell me anyone enjoys playing behind them. Lol

Winning cures everything and if we win tomorrow I think Gore will be on the verge of being much happier. Usually when a player is happy he starts to play with a purpose. I think if anything he just wants at least 1 more chance of getting into the Playoffs so he can lay it all on the line to try and get a SB. If the Colts win tomorrow they are projected at 60% to win the Division by NFL numbers.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Gore and Johnson cane here because of Andrew Luck. They said that, too

You want to make the playoffs and we didn't.....Now we can...

We didn't have our QB and Frank knew that......I wouldnt want him to be happy not to make the post-season.

If we make the post-season and he's healthy. Frank Gore will be back with us and he'll be quite happy.

He's under contract for next year, too

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Gore and Johnson cane here because of Andrew Luck. They said that, too

You want to make the playoffs and we didn't.....Now we can...

We didn't have our QB and Frank knew that......I wouldnt want him to be happy not to make the post-season.

If we make the post-season and he's healthy. Frank Gore will be back with us and he'll be quite happy.

He's under contract for next year, too

Isn't it strange how the tide has turned, last season we were without Luck and Houston took the Division. Now they are without Watt and if we win tomorrow it's basically a reversal to what happened last season. Nobody felt bad for us at all, especially Texans fans last season so I don't feel bad for the Texans because Watt is out. I actually wish he was playing because the win would be even better but he isn't so we need to take advantage of the situation like they did last season.

I say keep him simply because if I'm not mistaken we have nobody to sign to big money and I think I read we do have some cash in terms of cap room so why not.

BUT, if you keep him around he's going to definitely be helping groom his replacement. I wouldn't keep him with the intention of him being the majority RB. He'll be splitting carries with a 2nd/3rd/4th rd pick who will be groomed to be the future RB.

Sure...We can get RBs after the first round....where money isn't an issue...

Of course you want multiple quality runners.......and I dont think you have to 'groom' a RB.

Just plug and play.........

...and you cant have too many because they get beat up and beat down

But somebody's got to beat out Frank Gore..

36 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Sure...We can get RBs after the first round....where money isn't an issue...

Of course you want multiple quality runners.......and I dont think you have to 'groom' a RB.

Just plug and play.........

...and you cant have too many because they get beat up and beat down

But somebody's got to beat out Frank Gore..

To the bolded, I think that's another good reason to not bring him back.  He's still good enough to give him the job, but he's too one dimensional to give you everything you need.  Add to that its hard for any coach to uproot an all-timer in his waning years....and that goes double for this staff.

It feels like one of those scenarios where you have to move on to move forward.