82nd Heisman Finalists Announced

28 posts in this topic

Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville

Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma

Jabrill Peppers, LB Michigan

Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson

Dede Westbrook, WR Oklahoma

What's everybody thinking?

Jackson because he seems least likely to do well in the NFL. 

I'm pretty sure that's the criteria. 

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Jackson because he seems least likely to do well in the NFL. 

I'm pretty sure that's the criteria. 

haha    Well, Charles Woodson did okay, now didn't he?     One of the few Defensive players ever to win it.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Not sure.  But if I need to take a guess it will be Deshaun Watson.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

What's your guess?

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Officially I don't have a guess!

I guess we'll know soon,  won't we?

24 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I guess we'll know soon,  won't we?

Saturday night at 8 on ESPN, unfortunately Rashaan Salaam (1994) passed away last night which is very sad to hear.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Saturday night at 8 on ESPN, unfortunately Rashaan Salaam (1994) passed away last night which is very sad to hear.

I had not heard that.  What happened?

The voting body's insistence on giving it to a QB Every. Single. Year. has really watered down the meaning of the Heisman Trophy to me. For an award that's supposed to go to the "best player in college football", it always goes to an offensive player somehow. If I were voting this year, I'd have it 1) Jabrill Peppers 2) Lamar Jackson 3) Westbrook 4) Mayfield 5) Watson... Just my opinion though.

3 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

The voting body's insistence on giving it to a QB Every. Single. Year. has really watered down the meaning of the Heisman Trophy to me. For an award that's supposed to go to the "best player in college football", it always goes to an offensive player somehow. If I were voting this year, I'd have it 1) Jabrill Peppers 2) Lamar Jackson 3) Westbrook 4) Mayfield 5) Watson... Just my opinion though.

My grandson would love to see Peppers win.

29 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Derrick Henry won last year and is a runningback.

30 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I had not heard that.  What happened?

Found dead alone in a park in Colorado. Last I read was police found a suicide note that his mother confirmed. Could have been CTE.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Found dead alone in a park in Colorado. Last I read was police found a suicide note that his mother confirmed. Could have been CTE.

Oh how sad.

Lamar Jackson should still win it IMO. He had a few hiccups at the end of the season, but overall its hard to say anyone had a better year than he did. He combined for nearly 60 touchdowns.

Edit: just looked it up and its 51 touchdowns. Still pretty impressive.

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

I would vote for Jabrill Peppers because he was a crazy good impactful player at multiple positions.

My guess is Deshaun Watson wins.

12 hours ago, bababooey said:

Derrick Henry won last year and is a runningback.

I'm aware of that, but I really thought that was a "meh" selection at the time. I thought McCaffrey should have won it last year. If you watch Stanford, then you know that no one player is more valuable to his team than #5 for the Cardinal.

12 hours ago, Gramz said:

My grandson would love to see Peppers win.

I think he was the player that had the most impact on a great team this season.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I'm aware of that, but I really thought that was a "meh" selection at the time. I thought McCaffrey should have won it last year. If you watch Stanford, then you know that no one player is more valuable to his team than #5 for the Cardinal.

Definitely a little East Coast bias, if McCaffrey had the season he had last year again this year with the more exposure he got on the east coast with earlier games and what not then he may have been a finalist again.

I'm a bit surprised that no running backs were candidates. The early frontrunners for the position were either injured or had a down season (Fournette and McCaffrey) but I still believe Cook should have been up there along with D'Onta Foreman and Donnell Pumphrey. I think the list should have been:

Lamar Jackson

Dalvin Cook

Jabrill Peppers

Baker Mayfield

Patrick Mahomes

Watson underwhelmed this year IMO and Westbrook had a good season but it wasn't enough to put him in this group of 5. Foreman, Westbrook, Watson, Pumphrey, and (a bit biased here, but who cares) Derrius Guice would round out my top 10 in that order.

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'm a bit surprised that no running backs were candidates. The early frontrunners for the position were either injured or had a down season (Fournette and McCaffrey) but I still believe Cook should have been up there along with D'Onta Foreman and Donnell Pumphrey. I think the list should have been:

Lamar Jackson

Dalvin Cook

Jabrill Peppers

Baker Mayfield

Patrick Mahomes

Watson underwhelmed this year IMO and Westbrook had a good season but it wasn't enough to put him in this group of 5. Foreman, Westbrook, Watson, Pumphrey, and (a bit biased here, but who cares) Derrius Guice would round out my top 10 in that order.

I like Donnell Pumphrey, rushed for over 2,000 yards this year I believe.  

20 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I like Donnell Pumphrey, rushed for over 2,000 yards this year I believe.  

Foreman as well, beat him by 10 yards.

And the winner is...............  drumroll please  

Lamar Jackson.

Congratulations. :hat: 

1 person likes this

Lamar is the youngest player to ever win the heisman. Well deserved, heck of a player that'll only get better.

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Lamar is the youngest player to ever win the heisman. Well deserved, heck of a player that'll only get better.

Watching his speech I was smiling ear to ear because for all these young guys coming up like him and Jabrill sometimes with only one parent and then now they are in NYC for the first time as heisman finalists and Lamar winning it, it's awesome how excited they are, Lamar couldn't contain the excitement I loved it

1 person likes this