Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on defensive speed without Mathis?

Dingus McGirt

I thought Mathis still looked quick off the edge so I'm not sure if not having him played into anything. Edwin Jackson definitely looks quick though so I liked seeing him. Even Cole was getting to the QB at times. I think it's just the illusion of a really bad football team made our defense appear much improved.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

I thought Mathis still looked quick off the edge so I'm not sure if not having him played into anything. Edwin Jackson definitely looks quick though so I liked seeing him. Even Cole was getting to the QB at times. I think it's just the illusion of a really bad football team made our defense appear much improved.

Cole did have a nice game coming back last night.... I think Mathis still can be situational, just doesn't need to be out there for 80% of the snaps....I am wondering with Cole, if he has turned the corner...or if it was because he was going against Ben Ijalana....yes that Ben Ijalana....who said Chris Polian's picks would never help the Colts win a game...  :)

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Good morning, fellow fans. 

Watching last night's game I was surprised to find myself thinking the team looked faster on defense without Robert on the field.  It could have been my eyes playing tricks on me.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think Edwin Jackson and Curt Maggitt played their best games of the season last night.  The Jets are not very good, so that may have contributed... but the 2 young guys have been developing all season and (IMO) looked better last night than they have.  Cole was a pleasant surprise and Walden continues to impress.

Also, the DL seemed to play better than they have as a group in  a while.  Parry played very well last night, Ridgeway played well, Art Jones, Anderson, Kerr and TY McGill all played well.  TY had 2 QB hits, Parry had a sack, Kerr got a QB hit, and Ridgeway got a QB hit.  They were also disrupting the backfield a lot of the night (part of the reason Edwin had a wide-open play to Forte in the backfield).  Even though we're still without Langford, that was the most complete/healthiest I've seen the DL look in a while.

Oh yea, and let's not forget, we were playing with an early lead.... which does wonders for the D to be able to fly around.  We have struggled (for the most part) to get off to a fast start in games since Peyton has been hurt.  The last two games Luck was healthy are a couple of the only games I can remember us scoring TDs on our first two offensive possessions since Luck's been on the team.  Hopefully we can keep that up -- if we get down early, or the offense doesn't get going until later in the game, it can force the D to play slower.

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Let's wait and see when we play a bettter team 

^^^This.

The Jets were waltzing, playing like a team wanting to quit without much effort. I would like to see how things turn out vs the Texans who have a better OL.

3 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

This defense is better without Mathis.  Playing Ayers and Cole is a much better option. It's sad but I hope Mathis retires or is cut in the off-season (don't know the contract implications)  because at this point he's a detriment to the team. 

He's a free agent at season's end. 

6 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Good morning, fellow fans. 

Watching last night's game I was surprised to find myself thinking the team looked faster on defense without Robert on the field.  It could have been my eyes playing tricks on me.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

i think its more that they seemed to play HUNGRY last night. you could see the fire right off the bat. That was the difference to me.  I've not seen that in a long while