Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edwin Pound Cake

krunk

He's a decent piece,  he added some speed to the Will position that the defense badly needed.  

I don't think hes a long term starter, he's a bit undersized and needs refinement.  But he's a good guy to have around and maybe he'll prove me wrong. 

Also,  that hit on Forte was awesome.  He knew where that was going and move to that gap a second  before the ball was snapped.  

I remember him making a pick 6 at training camp this past Summer. He ran all the way down the field from the other end of the 20. The defense was really riled up. He's a pretty fast guy and I think he will be on the team for a while in my opinion.

There could be a piece that we can find that's better than him I believe but I still like the kid as of right now.  He does have some short comings, but I love the kids effort and the physicality he plays with.     I just like the guy!

22 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

He's a decent piece,  he added some speed to the Will position that the defense badly needed.  

I don't think hes a long term starter, he's a bit undersized and needs refinement.  But he's a good guy to have around and maybe he'll prove me wrong. 

Also,  that hit on Forte was awesome.  He knew where that was going and move to that gap a second  before the ball was snapped.  

Sometimes we can put too much emphasis on size.  I remember this guy named London Fletcher a 4 time Pro Bowler who played a lot of productive snaps as a starter for a couple teams. Kind of reminds me of London a little bit, or maybe Dexter Coakley.  Coakley came from a 1-AA school at Appalachian State just like Edwin.  Coakley was also very fast just like Edwin.  He was undersized , but yet a 3 time Pro Bowler.   I ain't calling Edwin a pro bowler or even the unquestioned future starter, but who knows what the kid can do.  I do know he can play.

Speaking of Linebackers I didn't realize Dqwell Jackson got a concussion last night.

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer 

Lost in the night was that Colts coach Chuck Pagano said linebacker D'Qwell Jackson and offensive lineman Denzelle Good are both in the NFL's concussion protocol.

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

Sometimes we can put too much emphasis on size.  I remember this guy named London Fletcher a 4 time Pro Bowler who played a lot of productive snaps as a starter for a couple teams. Kind of reminds me of London a little bit, or maybe Dexter Coakley.  Coakley came from a 1-AA school at Appalachian State just like Edwin.  Coakley was also very fast just like Edwin.  He was undersized , but yet a 3 time Pro Bowler.   I ain't calling Edwin a pro bowler or even the unquestioned future starter, but who knows what the kid can do.  I do know he can play.

I agree with what you are saying.  I don't want to come off as too down on the guy.  I just seem him as more of a rotational guy.  But who knows,  he's got good speed and instincts.  Would like to see him blitz sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I agree with what you are saying.  I don't want to come off as too down on the guy.  I just seem him as more of a rotational guy.  But who knows,  he's got good speed and instincts.  Would like to see him blitz sometimes. 

And I'm just talking about size.   I actually agree with you that he has some flaws.  We have blitzed him some, but it didn't get home.  We blitzed him a couple times last night.  I don't think your perception is totally out of line, but who knows what can happen I guess.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

And I'm just talking about size.   I actually agree with you that he has some flaws.  We have blitzed him some, but it didn't get home.  We blitzed him a couple times last night.  I don't think your perception is totally out of line, but who knows what can happen I guess.

I am starting to think the Colts may be set at ILB next year.  Morrison taking over for DQ and Pound Cake (if you have not read the story about how he got the name Pound Cake, you should it's pretty funny) filling that role of Freeman (hopefully without the drugs and injuries).

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like this guy. Love his energy, and the kid loves to hit. Guy loves contact. Love that hit he made on Forte. When he arrives at the football hes trying to bring it.

Good defenses have players that attack and make plays BEHIND the line of scrimmage.
  Edwin might be that Hungry guy that is consumed to be Great. x those fingers. lol

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Speaking of Linebackers I didn't realize Dqwell Jackson got a concussion last night.

Lost in the night was that Colts coach Chuck Pagano said linebacker D'Qwell Jackson and offensive lineman Denzelle Good are both in the NFL's concussion protocol.

It was towards the end of the game. ESPN didn't show who was injured but made a verbal comment that there was an injury. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

He went to the locker room after the 3rd but wasn't limping.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I am starting to think the Colts may be set at ILB next year.  Morrison taking over for DQ and Pound Cake (if you have not read the story about how he got the name Pound Cake, you should it's pretty funny) filling that role of Freeman (hopefully without the drugs and injuries).

Hmm what makes you think Morrison can contribute at the other ILB position?  To me he is a slower less agile version of DQ but then again I'll be honest I'm very biased against this LB group as I don't think they are good in general (with "pound cake" being the exception and an aging DQ). 

If we don't draft an ILB that has some athleticism I'd say it would be a miss.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Do you think there is any chance they move Clayton Geathers to the Will linebacker?

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Do you think there is any chance they move Clayton Geathers to the Will linebacker?

No. I think they like his versatility in being able to play Safety and Dime LB. Will we see him take some snaps at Will? Maybe, but I don't see it as anything more than utilizing his versatility as a match up advantage.

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Hmm what makes you think Morrison can contribute at the other ILB position?  To me he is a slower less agile version of DQ but then again I'll be honest I'm very biased against this LB group as I don't think they are good in general (with "pound cake" being the exception and an aging DQ). 

If we don't draft an ILB that has some athleticism I'd say it would be a miss.

I will admit, I was not happy with the Morrison pick after watching a game against 'bama and I was blasted by many posters on this forum.  But watching him in the game, I don't think he's slow, I think he has very good speed (I agree about his agility) I think he's hesitant.  And I'm assuming he's smart enough to improve his field awareness and not be so hesitant next year.  He may still prove me wrong in that regards.

That being said, if someone like Cinchy from Wisconsin is available in rounds 4 or 5, I could see the Colts drafting him and him taking over for Morrison.

But IMO I think Morrison and Jackson can handle the ILB duties and let the Colts focus more on OLB, NT, CB and or RB in the first 4 rounds.

1 hour ago, Devildog said:

I don't care if he's undersized for the position but if he can play and make an impact, then I'm all for him being a starter.

And it's hard to determine what is undersized now.  It's not like the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust days when the MLB or ILB needed to be slightly smaller than the DEs and take everything from tackle to tackle.  IN today's passing league you need the smaller, faster more agile ILBs.  I mean Patrick Willis was one of the best MLB in the last 10 years and he was 6'1 240lbs.  Pound cake is 6'0 230lbs.  Not a huge difference.

Lol some say he's not anything spectacular are probably some who said Morrison was great  and would develop how to cover...man If you make a play on THIS COLTS TEAM as a LINEBACKER and show EXPLOSIVENESS I would consider you spectacular based on the fact that No linebacker outside of walden has done anything spectacular Give my boy Ejax proper respect 

6 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol some say he's not anything spectacular are probably some who said Morrison was great  and would develop how to cover...man If you make a play on THIS COLTS TEAM as a LINEBACKER and show EXPLOSIVENESS I would consider you spectacular based on the fact that No linebacker outside of walden has done anything spectacular Give my boy Ejax proper respect 

Ran out of likes, but YES!

"Pound Cake" plays with nastiness/an edge. You need players on defense that have that, and quite frankly, the Colts don't have too many of them. He needs to keep playing and be a central part of the defense. Maybe he's not a star but he brings a lot of positives. He has impressive closing speed and wants to make a big play.

Hopefully he can develop and turn into a solid starting ILB. He played very well last night. We need to start being able to find and develop talent like some of the best teams do. Look at Denver finding and developing guys like Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan, Todd Davis at ILB. Malik Jackson at DT, etc.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like this guy. Love his energy, and the kid loves to hit. Guy loves contact. Love that hit he made on Forte. When he arrives at the football hes trying to bring it.

My only problem from him last night is that he should have had a pick six! Other than that he was awesome. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

My only problem from him last night is that he should have had a pick six! Other than that he was awesome. 

TJ Green should have had a pick too, but he seems to have stone hands for a former WR though!!!

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I will admit, I was not happy with the Morrison pick after watching a game against 'bama and I was blasted by many posters on this forum.  But watching him in the game, I don't think he's slow, I think he has very good speed (I agree about his agility) I think he's hesitant.  And I'm assuming he's smart enough to improve his field awareness and not be so hesitant next year.  He may still prove me wrong in that regards.

That being said, if someone like Cinchy from Wisconsin is available in rounds 4 or 5, I could see the Colts drafting him and him taking over for Morrison.

But IMO I think Morrison and Jackson can handle the ILB duties and let the Colts focus more on OLB, NT, CB and or RB in the first 4 rounds.

Maybe it's just me but I really want a first or second put into the ILB spot...  it seems such an undervalued position in recent Colts memory and to me it's the heart of the team.

Either way I'm fine with Morrison if it means we come out with 2 good pass rushers next draft.  An edge rusher that can put pressure on Walden for playing time would be amazing. 

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Maybe it's just me but I really want a first or second put into the ILB spot...  it seems such an undervalued position in recent Colts memory and to me it's the heart of the team.

Either way I'm fine with Morrison if it means we come out with 2 good pass rushers next draft.  An edge rusher that can put pressure on Walden for playing time would be amazing. 

If the Colts spent a 1st or 2nd round pick on an ILB I would not criticize going that route.

I'm probably the only one but our young outside linebackers are atheistic maybe we should try them at ilb  this offseason and the young ilb we have we should consider changing them to pass rushers  idk...like when we had Moore he was an edge rusher before a ilb but we never tried him there Mcnary is better blitzing so why not try him on the edge 

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Morrison is a 1 down player