Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donte Moncrief moving up the record books

TKnight24

22 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

But that's not what you were arguing.  You were arguing that Chud has to realize what a threat Moncrief is in the red zone.  5 TDs in 5 games, all of which were in the redzone is proof Chud knows exactly what sort of weapon Moncrief is in the red zone.  You think he should have more TDs?  That's fine and dandy, but that's a product that probably has more to do with the players than the play calling - at least in that regard.

The bottom line is, we're 2nd in the league in red zone scoring efficiency, and Chud scheming to get Moncrief the ball in the red zone has been a big part of that.  I think you're just flat out wrong here.  

Lol, I think you're just flat out wrong on it being more to with the players than the play calling.

My point was directed towards the last game against Pittsburgh when we kept trying to punch it in (failed) instead of trying to throw fades, or back shoulder throws to Moncrief. I just want to see his height advantage and athleticism used more often. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol, I think you're just flat out wrong on it being more to with the players than the play calling.

My point was directed towards the last game against Pittsburgh when we kept trying to punch it in (failed) instead of trying to throw fades, or back shoulder throws to Moncrief. I just want to see his height advantage and athleticism used more often. 

6 redzone TDs in 6 games. is it that hard for uo to maybe admit you mightve been wrong?

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

With a backup QB...it shouldnt need to be spelled out why we tried to put the ball in someone elses hands little buddy.

Agreed. Things like fades and back shoulder throws are mostly dependant on timing. Chud was smart to not try to force that type of play when he knew the timing just wasn't there. @lollygagger8I'd try to single out more than just the ONE game without Luck to be your reasoning.

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I can't quote for some reason, but the Colts knew Luck wasn't going to play, so it's not like they couldn't practice the timing with Tolzein. 

That takes a LOT of time and repetition, and I don't mean a week. Peyton and Wayne's timing on the back shoulder throws was always raved about, because it takes so much time and effort to develop that kind of report. It doesn't just happen overnight or over the course of a week.

And maybe they practiced it and Tolzien didn't show a level of timing that Chud felt was acceptable to try in the red zone. What if he DID try it multiple times and it failed miserably? You'd be complaining that we should have known better than to try routes like that with a backup QB.

53 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I can't quote for some reason, but the Colts knew Luck wasn't going to play, so it's not like they couldn't practice the timing with Tolzein. 

I just think it's a silly criticism.  If your only complaint is the steelers game, well, I guess I could be wrong.  But we don't have to worry about it on a weekly basis.  As long as Moncrief and Luck are healthy, Chud has found ways to get him the ball in the red zone.  I don't doubt you want this team to be better, we all do.  It was against a crappy Jets team, but at least, for once, we looked good.  Good enough to have our 3rd string in for a huge portion of the fourth quarter.  That's at least a step in teh right direction.  

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Agreed. Things like fades and back shoulder throws are mostly dependant on timing. Chud was smart to not try to force that type of play when he knew the timing just wasn't there. @lollygagger8I'd try to single out more than just the ONE game without Luck to be your reasoning.

Well, and we could not stop Brown.  The Le'veon Bell show took over in the second half, but had that game been closer, who's to say the Steelers wouldn't have scored 2 or 3 more TDs if they needed them?  I'm getting into speculation now, but we weren't winning that game unless the defense could have held them, and they could not...not at all.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, and we could not stop Brown.  The Le'veon Bell show took over in the second half, but had that game been closer, who's to say the Steelers wouldn't have scored 2 or 3 more TDs if they needed them?  I'm getting into speculation now, but we weren't winning that game unless the defense could have held them, and they could not...not at all.

I'm out of likes, but I 100% agree.

18 hours ago, Shive said:

That takes a LOT of time and repetition, and I don't mean a week. Peyton and Wayne's timing on the back shoulder throws was always raved about, because it takes so much time and effort to develop that kind of report. It doesn't just happen overnight or over the course of a week.

And maybe they practiced it and Tolzien didn't show a level of timing that Chud felt was acceptable to try in the red zone. What if he DID try it multiple times and it failed miserably? You'd be complaining that we should have known better than to try routes like that with a backup QB.

Yeah, I don't know if they practiced or not. Fades aren't as difficult (timing wise) than back shoulder throws, but I apparently my expectations are too high for a backup QB.

You don't need to assume what anyone is complaining about. I love Gore, but I wanted Turbin to knock it in at the goal line since they were trying to run it in. 

18 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I just think it's a silly criticism.  If your only complaint is the steelers game, well, I guess I could be wrong.  But we don't have to worry about it on a weekly basis.  As long as Moncrief and Luck are healthy, Chud has found ways to get him the ball in the red zone.  I don't doubt you want this team to be better, we all do.  It was against a crappy Jets team, but at least, for once, we looked good.  Good enough to have our 3rd string in for a huge portion of the fourth quarter.  That's at least a step in teh right direction.  

I agree. As long as Luck is healthy then all of this is moot. 

Moncrief is a nice redzone target. Really our only good receiver with decent size (body). What chaps me is that TY with his speed and athleticism can't find a way to score more tds around the goal line. Its what keeps him from being one of those top 5 type receivers. AB is small but he still scores a lot of redzone tds. I'm glad Luck trusts Moncrief with those tight window throws because its really just him and our TEs right now. Hopefully we can develop some other options but Moncrief has been huge for us lately.