Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IU firing Kevin Wilson?

48 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. Can't imagine he was fired due to the teams play, I mean he just took them to two straight bowls. Something must be going on behind the scenes.

Didn't he just sign a 6 year deal . With the team on the rise there is no way it's related to the teams performance  

This is all I could find and it had to do with the treatment of players.  Basically pressuring injured players to play and one who had a concussion being rushed back to play and causing issues.  

http://thespun.com/big-ten/indiana/why-kevin-wilson-fired-indiana

On an added note, glad to see Allen get a chance, he made a complete turnaround with the defense this year.  Although for next season, he will need to find a strong offensive coordinator to follow in Wilson's path. 

Found another article, seems to pretty much say the same thing with nothing conclusive.  However, they did have some interesting notes from the press conference by Athletic Director Fred Glass.    

He characterized Wilson’s departure as a resignation, meaning Wilson willingly gave up more than $2 million he would have received had he been fired without cause. Under terms of their separation agreement, IU will pay Wilson one year base pay ($542,000); Wilson will eat the remaining four years ($2,168,000)

Direct quotes from Glass;

“What might be OK at other places, what might be OK in an industry, isn’t necessarily OK here,” he said. “And that doesn’t make me right or wrong, but I can tell you that I came at this earnestly with the best interests of IU at heart, and I can tell you I’m proud to be part of an institution that (prioritizes) doing the right thing ahead of competitive success.”

Glass also offered the following, unprompted, of Allen:

“He is demanding but not demeaning,” Glass said of Kevin Wilson’s replacement. “He cares about his players, and they care back.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/12/01/doyel-kevin-wilson-gone-but-what-pushed-him-out/94756854/

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

The way things are sounding, it's looking that way, or at least enough noise from treatment of players to the program look bad.  It also looks bad on Wilson's part that he would forfeit most of his contract.  If he was straight up fired, he would still receive the rest of the money owed.