Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT: NFL to possibly eliminate or limit Thursday night games

RockThatBlue

Good.  Three prime time games a week is too much.  They should also get rid of MNF games as well.  Or save them for the 2nd half of the season that way they can pick team based on how they are doing in the current year not based on division and how they are expected to do in the following year.

23 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Is there any reason it has to be on Thursday? Why not Saturday or Friday so it's not as short of a week for the teams playing?

High school football is usually on Fridays and of course college football is mainly on Saturdays. I'm not saying its right, but thats my guess as to why its Thursdays and not Friday or Saturdays. 

"...Getting rid of Thursday games completely... and to ensure that games played in prime time are truly worthy of being seen."

Don't toy with me NFL Network. I would love the total dismantling of TNF. The quality of the games are subpar at best, loud pajamas work well for slumber parties & high school lockins not professional football games, & it's simply too much football in a given week following Gruden on MNF to me. More isn't always better. It's just overkill or over saturation in my estimation. 

I hate TNF completely & because I stated I deplore it the League will expand the broadcasting deal on CBS, NBC, & the NFL Network for 20 yrs now with my luck. haha

Just end it all together, and keep Thursday for Thanksgiving only. 

This is why NFL ratings are down. One of several reasons. The product they give us has been very bad this year, and to be honest, it's been in the process of a decline for a couple years now. Bad officiating and weird calls have become a staple of the NFL, along with changing the rule book to the point they don't even know what a catch is anymore. 

There is no point in having Thursday night games every single week. The players hate it, the coaches hate, and even as a fan; I just don't see any reason for me to get excited and go OMG over Browns/Ravens color rush. It's over-saturation at it's finest. The NFL is not like the NBA or MLB where, games all during the week actually make sense. 

So many of the Thursday games are sloppy too and the teams look so sluggish after a short week of preparation. 

I am all for cutting it back, yes! End it now! 

11 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

The players hate it, the coaches hate, and even as a fan; I just don't see any reason for me to get excited and go OMG over Browns/Ravens color rush. It's over-saturation at it's finest. The NFL is not like the NBA or MLB where, games all during the week actually make sense. 

Beautifully stated. Ah huh. Sometimes, I think the league has no concept of compelling team matchups like you say. "Browns vs Ravens color rash" was very funny. 

Bottom line is that the quality of the product suffers with TNF & billionaire owners just want more money. Player safety. What the hades is that? That's what irritates me the most. 

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

I just don't see any reason for me to get excited and go OMG over Browns/Ravens color rush. It's over-saturation at it's finest. 

Why not? Browns color rush is super cool. The Browns always get me pumped up.

:violin:

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tonight was a pretty good game. Vikings had a chance at the end. Cowboys pulled it out 17-15.

That's literally been the best TNF game so far this year. So many of the match ups have been trash (even the close games). Jets vs Bills, Bengals vs Dolphins, Pats vs Texans, GB vs CHI.

All super snooze fests. 

Thursday night games arent any worse or better than Sunday games.. That's just what sports media says.

Obviously, there's just only one of them so you notice a bad game.

There are one or two bad games every Sunday but there are other good one so you don't notice.

Plus Sunday night games are top matchups....by design

Thursday games are division games much of the time and sometimes they are mismatches

I agree that it's not likely to happen because the owners would be giving up a large chunk of change.

But I simply don't understand anyone who even tries to defend Thursday Night Games.     They are hated, loathed and despised by everyone in the NFL, except 33 people.     The 32 owners and Roger Goodell.    OK, if you want to add about 50-100 more NFL execs at the league office -- fine.

But those who have play the games,  coach the teams,   and build the rosters are pretty much near unanimous in hating these games.      If it's a secret at all,  it's the worst kept secret in the NFL.

The ONLY WAY this could happen is if the league could somehow convince its media partners to dramatically increase their annual fees to off-set the dollars that would be lost by giving up Thursday nights.     I think it's not out of the question,  but it's still a real long shot.

On just about every level imaginable, the games are just dreadful.   

There's no difference between Thursday night games and Sunday afternoon games..

..except that there's only one on Thursday..

..anyone who says there aren't more bad games on Thursday than Sunday is pretending.

They have been playing on Thanksgiving Thursdays in Dallas and Detroit for over half a century..

Its a non-issue...because the money for the NFL (and the players) is too good.

Its just something to whine about when fans aren't whining about the officiating or the turf..or the announcers..

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

..anyone who says there aren't more bad games on Thursday than Sunday is pretending.

They have been playing on Thanksgiving Thursdays in Dallas and Detroit for over half a century..

Its just something to whine about when fans aren't whining about the officiating or the turf..or the announcers..

Four days is not enough time for these guys bodies to heal from the prior week.   If the league is truly concerned about player safety,  Thursday games should never happen unless the teams playing in them have a bye week before.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Anyone who thinks the quality of the games are the same except that they're played on different days is kidding themselves.     Bordering on the near delusional.

A game played on Thursday means you have 3 LESS DAYS for your body to recover from the last Sunday game.       If you know what you're seeing on the TV screen,  you can see less effort,  fewer collisions,  softer hitting....   it's closer to flag football or two-hand touch.      It's not even close to the same.     If completely fails the eye-ball test.

If the games are the same,  why do players, coaches and execs hate them?     You're not going to deny that they do, are you?       

You're an exceedingly smart poster, OUM,  this position of yours completely stuns me.    I'd expect it from some of the other posters who don't understand the game or what they're seeing......    but you do....    so, I'm at a loss to understand any of your thinking here...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

A game played on Thursday means you have 3 LESS DAYS for your body to recover from the last Sunday game.       If you know what you're seeing on the TV screen,  you can see less effort,  fewer collisions,  softer hitting....   it's closer to flag football or two-hand touch.      It's not even close to the same.     If completely fails the eye-ball test.

I found this paragraph interesting, because it also describes everyone's fears if the NFL were to take more steps to ensure the players safety.

I guess we're saying, if they made it completely safe, we wouldn't watch.

45 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I found this paragraph interesting, because it also describes everyone's fears if the NFL were to take more steps to ensure the players safety.

I guess we're saying, if they made it completely safe, we wouldn't watch.

True words.  Football is stull brutal and that's why we watch...

The NFL is trying to make it safer but they will NEVER make it safe.

..and the crying about Thursday games is ridiculous. 4 teams have played on Thanksgiving on 3 days rest for half a century. there is no evidence that I know of..no study..that it causes more injuries or is less safe. None.

Nobody had a problem until all teams had to play one time on Thursday.

Its a non-story

24 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

True words.  Football is stull brutal and that's why we watch...

The NFL is trying to make it safer but they will NEVER make it safe.

..and the crying about Thursday games is ridiculous. 4 teams have played on Thanksgiving on 3 days rest for half a century. there is no evidence that I know of..no study..that it causes more injuries or is less safe. None.

Nobody had a problem until all teams had to play one time on Thursday.

Its a non-story

It doesn't matter what the reason is.....    it's a story to the players, coaches and front office executives who HATE Thursday night games with a blood-curdling passion.

It's only a non-story to those whose attitude is they'd take NFL games 7 days a week.    More is better.

But those who hate these games out-number those who love them.     The side who hates them wins simply because the owners love them because they make big money.     Without that money,  Thursday night games would be history......

3 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Why do you watch them if the match ups are just so bad and sleep is so important to you?

Even if they're cupcake games, I'll still watch them though they rarely entertain me lmao.  I'd probably still try to get more sleep however if they weren't on by forcing myself to try and sleep a couple hours earlier.  Last Thursday's game was actually decent, but I would be more than fine if they ousted TNF all together.

5 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Even if they're cupcake games, I'll still watch them though they rarely entertain me lmao.  I'd probably still try to get more sleep however if they weren't on by forcing myself to try and sleep a couple hours earlier.  Last Thursday's game was actually decent, but I would be more than fine if they ousted TNF all together.

Yeah I still follow the Thursday games even if I am not watching the whole games because it's Football. I thought this past Thursday game was a good game.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I still follow the Thursday games even if I am not watching the whole games because it's Football. I thought this past Thursday game was a good game.

Yeah it was, I was really pulling for the Vikings just because I'm sick of all the Cowboys talk.  That being said, just imagining the Colts OL vs that Vikings D isn't really too promising.

Good lord. Just about every poster in here cries out about the 7 months with no football. then when the season starts, people moan about it? If there is not enough time between games, it is the same for both teams. Do I care if all these fantastically highly paid sportsmen are a wee bit tired? No I don't. And the bad games rubbish is just that. OUM was spot on, we are used to feasting on Red Zone and prime time coverage that there are a lot of very average games every week. You notice that quite regularly with the Sunday late afternoon games. But if you all prefer Man with a Plan than a game of NFL, best of luck....