Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is wrong with Dwayne Allen?

RockThatBlue

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

nothing is wrong with him..

....he's more blocker than receiver.....

....I love how our tackle got beat 10 times but the TE is the message board problem

Plus: This just in: we won for the 2nd game in arow

So we gave that contract to a blocking TE?

And his previous show as a good receiving option were what? Just a run of good luck?

We've already started this exact same topic about our tackle last week, so there's no need to beat that horse again, but I'll link you to it if you so feel the need. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen is getting flack because his main focus is to catch passes and he has failed often this season. Lot of money going to a TE who can't catch. Haeg is a rookie thrown in to be a tackle he was never pegged for at the start of the season but injuries and poor play by Reitz as well forced it. Constanzo has played awful too much this season and needs to play better or start searching for his replacement but maybe he is hurt (too). I was never on board to sign Allen or Fleener so I'm irritated we spent the cap space on a TE who fails at cactching more than success it seems. 

Is this your family member unclemark because you seem to be taking this personal or you are implying something completely different which wouldn't set well here. 

That drop was the last straw for me. Definitely changed the momentum in the game. Having Allen in on necessary passing downs is setting yourself up for failure. My biggest fear is that our coaches won't make the adjustment and have Allen in when he shouldn't be and it will cost us big time...  Allen is a great blocker but he's gotten too big and too stiff. He has no finesses or fluidity to his game anymore. Every catch for him is like a fight with the ball...  The thrill is gone for me. Time to move on in the offseason. For all of the guys in the know, what kind of pick could we get for him?

29 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That drop was the last straw for me. Definitely changed the momentum in the game. Having Allen in on necessary passing downs is setting yourself up for failure. My biggest fear is that our coaches won't make the adjustment and have Allen in when he shouldn't be and it will cost us big time...  Allen is a great blocker but he's gotten too big and too stiff. He has no finesses or fluidity to his game anymore. Every catch for him is like a fight with the ball...  The thrill is gone for me. Time to move on in the offseason. For all of the guys in the know, what kind of pick could we get for him?

I feel the same way , except I am willing to wait till the end of the season. I don't think we would get much if we looked to trade. His contract is far above his current value. If we released him and some gave him a contract I couldn't see it being for much more than 4-5 Million on a one year prove it deal.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.  The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.  Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

Maybe....maybe a fifth if he were get picked up and played similar to how he's played. 

It is not really realistic cap wise to cut him till 2018. His dead cap is 3 mil next year and he's set to count 6mil. I don't know, it might be better to see if he gets out of his slump. He's flashed promise in the past. One season he recorded 8 TDs. 

Just now, CanuckColtsFan said:

I feel the same way , except I am willing to wait till the end of the season. I don't think we would get much if we looked to trade. His contract is far above his current value. If we released him and some gave him a contract I couldn't see it being for much more than 4-5 Million on a one year prove it deal.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.  The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.  Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

Maybe....maybe a fifth if he were get picked up and played similar to how he's played. 

It is not really realistic cap wise to cut him till 2018. His dead cap is 3 mil next year and he's set to count 6mil. I don't know if it might be better to see if he get out of his slump. He's flashed promise in the past. One season he recorded 8 TDs. 

I was definitely talking about trading him after the season. Maybe even a draft day trade. We're stuck with him this year. He should only be used for pass blocking on TE delay plays. 

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Has to be..because our tackles got beat 10 times and the threads are about Allen.

You have to see how it way, way out of proportion.

You keep saying this as if it means anything.  Just because Haeg also had a bad game does not mean that Allen had a good game.  Allen played poorly, not only the drop but as a blocker as well.  It was his guy that made the stop of Gore on 4th down.  He also gave up a sack.  Allen is just not a good player right now and saying the tackles got beat 10 times does not change that fact.

I'm as concerned about DA and his "performance issues" as much as anyone, but his role is a very important one in the Chud scheme.  And....before you forecast cutting him in the off-season, consider the structure of his deal.  It was rather front-loaded such that he basically has a 1 year deal for $5M next year.  If he doesn't have it together at the end of 2017, he is vulnerable, but not prior to that point.

Keeping DA, Doyle and Swoope another year....and put resources into the defense.  If you cut DA, you have to replace him, and that doesn't help you build this defense.

18 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I agree he's been a disappointment so far this year, but I think he's still probably hurt somewhere (surprise surprise). Not an excuse obviously. His drop on 3rd down really killed the offense's Mo Jo. 

He is said to have 2 bad hips for starters.
 He and TY are both thinking about the end zone celebration first, locking the ball down (TEAM) 2nd.

20 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I was a HUGE Allen fan his rookie year. Hell he was even my second favorite offensive player on this team then. But dude has just literally gone downhill every since. And to think at one point he was the best TE in the nation in college. Those days are long gone.

Totally agree . . . his rookie year I felt like he didn't get enough credit on these boards.  I considered him seriously underrated.

Now the guy can't seem to make the routine catches and Jack Doyle is at least his equal if not better.  

3 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I'm as concerned about DA and his "performance issues" as much as anyone, but his role is a very important one in the Chud scheme.  And....before you forecast cutting him in the off-season, consider the structure of his deal.  It was rather front-loaded such that he basically has a 1 year deal for $5M next year.  If he doesn't have it together at the end of 2017, he is vulnerable, but not prior to that point.

Keeping DA, Doyle and Swoope another year....and put resources into the defense.  If you cut DA, you have to replace him, and that doesn't help you build this defense.

His deal is structured in a way where it makes zero sense to cut him after 2016. We would have paid him $11.5m for one season. I said when the details came out that I really dislike this deal structure. The average is a little high, but that's not the big problem, IMO. Frontloading it with cash is what bothers me.

So unless there's some surprise trade, Allen will be on the roster next year. He needs to get it together. He's still doing the utility stuff, even though his blocking hasn't been as consistent as we're used to. But he has dropped more passes this year than anyone else, and that's got to change, asap.

In 2017-19, his cap hits are $6m, $6m and $8.4m All reasonable and manageable, especially assuming the cap continues to increase at 7% every year. It would be great if he'd earn it, though.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

His deal is structured in a way where it makes zero sense to cut him after 2016. We would have paid him $11.5m for one season. I said when the details came out that I really dislike this deal structure. The average is a little high, but that's not the big problem, IMO. Frontloading it with cash is what bothers me.

So unless there's some surprise trade, Allen will be on the roster next year. He needs to get it together. He's still doing the utility stuff, even though his blocking hasn't been as consistent as we're used to. But he has dropped more passes this year than anyone else, and that's got to change, asap.

In 2017-19, his cap hits are $6m, $6m and $8.4m All reasonable and manageable, especially assuming the cap continues to increase at 7% every year. It would be great if he'd earn it, though.

Why does the front loaded contract bother you? To me,  it makes sense because it lets them see how Allen fits into the system with the ability to part ways with little damage if it doesn't work out after a couple years.  

53 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Why does the front loaded contract bother you? To me,  it makes sense because it lets them see how Allen fits into the system with the ability to part ways with little damage if it doesn't work out after a couple years.  

That's not little damage. Right now, Allen is not playing up to his $7.35m/year contract. If the team was thinking about releasing him after one year, they would want to have paid him around that amount so far, or even less. Through 2016, they will have paid him $11.5m. The money that has been paid has to hit the cap. Most of that is already on the 2016 cap; the remainder would be on the 2017 cap. That's a bad deal.

I'm sure you're looking at the minimal cap penalty to release him, but that's only a small part of the equation. 

Edit: Short answer, you want to pay a player what he earns. By frontloading, you're paying him before he earns it. This happens to a certain extent when there are big signing bonuses, but the Colts typically don't do big signing bonuses, and they didn't on Allen's contract.

Should not be targeted for any passes.  Use for blocking only. He has proven to be the teams mojo killer.  The dropped pass yesterday should be his last.  Andrew please don't throw the ball to 83 any more.  Brick hands and should be released at the end of the year if it does not cost to much to release.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, il vecchio said:

Too early to say, but he may be turning things around, hopefully.  His injury issues may have been a significant contributor to his inconsistency, thus far.

I hope so. Maybe he heard his pal JMV, whose radio show he would appear on constantly say "I don't talk to him that often but I will give it straight, he is stinking the joint right now, no doubt about it". At some point, it is up to the individual to correct his own mistakes. DA probably got fed up, and may start to earn his keep.

20 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think Mr Allen answered this thread last night.......

mic drop style,  time to lock the thread.

didnt change my mind

honestly, he did not do anything special last night, the jets left him wide open on two of his three TDs

he made one tough catch in the endzone, good job there. 

1 hour ago, il vecchio said:

Too early to say, but he may be turning things around, hopefully.  His injury issues may have been a significant contributor to his inconsistency, thus far.

I have to agree!  Plus you had me with the Jim Thorpe avatar.  Little kids now a day have no clue who this incredible athlete was!

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

nobody ever admits they were wrong...ever

because i dont feel like im wrong

id still release him and offer to re sign him for what hes really worth if that were possible

or just cut him if there were no penalty.  nothing he did last night jumped out at me, the jets just didnt cover him

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

didnt change my mind

honestly, he did not do anything special last night, the jets left him wide open on two of his three TDs

he made one tough catch in the endzone, good job there. 

So he can't just have a good game, it has to be accomplished with a high degree of difficulty also... 

I'm not putting Dwayne Allen in the Pro Bowl because of a good game, but it's not that hard to just acknowledge that he had a good game. If he had been performing at this level all year, this thread wouldn't exist.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

because i dont feel like im wrong

id still release him and offer to re sign him for what hes really worth if that were possible

Fans become obcessed with one player.....and they cant get over their own opinion because they've doubled down' on it so many times. It becomes personal.

..obviously we're not releasing one of our two regular tight ends..especially one who just caught 3 TD passes.

Its the 'one player is killing us' psychology that is so 'fanatic'

Edited by oldunclemark
spelling

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fans become obcessed with one player.....and they cant get over their own opinion because they've doubled down' on it so many times. It becomes personal.

..obviously we're not releasing one of our two regular tight ends..especially one who just caught 3 TD passes.

Its the 'one player is killing us' psychology that is so 'fanatic'

i wouldnt care if he wasnt making 29 million dollars or whatever it is

he just has not done enough for that kind of money.  doyle is out producing him this year, and plenty of other dirt cheap players could do the same

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, John Waylon said:

So we gave that contract to a blocking TE?

And his previous show as a good receiving option were what? Just a run of good luck?

We've already started this exact same topic about our tackle last week, so there's no need to beat that horse again, but I'll link you to it if you so feel the need. 

Forget the contract...its not that big and it doesn't matter now..we're tied for 1st place

Last night......must win game...3 TD catches......

......To be honest, you have to change your mind.

why whine about home team players you don't like.....on a home team web site..

..even when they play well.........what does that accomplish.?