Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is wrong with Dwayne Allen?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I agree he's been a disappointment so far this year, but I think he's still probably hurt somewhere (surprise surprise). Not an excuse obviously. His drop on 3rd down really killed the offense's Mo Jo. 

I was worried that drop was going to come back and bite us. It almost did, but thankfully it didn't.

He isn't having a good year that's for sure.  It seems like Luck doesn't really even go to him often.  I remember he seems like he was only targeted twice today, one in which he dropped and the other was batted down, lol.  I don't think Luck really has much confidence in him nowadays, especially with the emergence of Doyle.  I think if he could just stay healthy and have a good game or two, maybe DA could get back in the mix but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I was really pulling for DA this year.  He's a stand up good dude who had a solid rookie year and just hasn't been able to stay healthy nor seems to play well when he is in.

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

He isn't having a good year that's for sure.  It seems like Luck doesn't really even go to him often.  I remember he seems like he was only targeted twice today, one in which he dropped and the other was batted down, lol.  I don't think Luck really has much confidence in him nowadays, especially with the emergence of Doyle.  I think if he could just stay healthy and have a good game or two, maybe DA could get back in the mix but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I was really pulling for DA this year.  He's a stand up good dude who had a solid rookie year and just hasn't been able to stay healthy nor seems to play well when he is in.

Luck unfortunately has good reason to not have much confidence in Allen. Allen is one of the worst players on the team right now IMO. If he wasn't a decent blocker, there would be no reason for him to even suit up right now. 

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Luck unfortunately has good reason to not have much confidence in Allen. Allen is one of the worst players on the team right now IMO. If he wasn't a decent blocker, there would be no reason for him to even suit up right now. 

Yeah, with the emergence of Doyle as well Allen has been resorted to nothing more than a glorified blocker and an occasional redzone threat.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

nothing is wrong with him..

....he's more blocker than receiver.....

....I love how our tackle got beat 10 times but the TE is the message board problem

Plus: This just in: we won for the 2nd game in arow

Hes not supposed to just be a blocker though. He has a pretty big contract for a TE, and its an understatement to say hes not living up to it.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hes not supposed to just be a blocker though. He has a pretty big contract for a TE, and its an understatement to say hes not living up to it.

Exactly. I'm hesitant to say he's completely useless, but for someone who is the tenth highest paid TE (and granted, TE isn't the most glorified position), I expect more. Much more.

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

....I love how our tackle got beat 10 times but the TE is the message board problem

Nothing wrong with him except his penchant for dropping touchdowns and first downs.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Its not personal. I didn't criticize him as a person. Hes a great person, but a bad football player right now.

To single him out in a game where he wasn't much of a factor either way..

..just seems very unfair......there must be some other reason for all the slime throw n his way

///we have major flaws on our team and tight end just isn't one of them, right?

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But he wasn't a factor today and we won.

the criticism sounds personal.....very personal

Well, in fairness to those that are critical of Allen, his hands have been inconsisent for the last 2 years, and he dropped an easy pass for not only a first down but which felt like a momentum killer when everything had been going our way.  We're probably first and goal if he catches it and he may have scored, and we're up 28-0.  Instead, we miss a field goal and they go down and score a touchdown. 

Might not be completely fair, and other people had chances to make playes after that point, but Allen was far from not a factor, and it's hard to not be critical of him today when we turned an easy win into a dog fight.

I love Allen, and I love what he does for our offense overall.  I think we kept the right TE for the right reasons. But...there is no denying that Dwayne's focus has slipped, or so it seems, based on the quantity of mental errors he has made this year and last.  He needs to become the reliable performer he used to be whenever he is on the field.  He simply isn't right now, but he can be and he needs to be held accountable.

3 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Well, in fairness to those that are critical of Allen, his hands have been inconsisent for the last 2 years, and he dropped an easy pass for not only a first down but which felt like a momentum killer when everything had been going our way.  We're probably first and goal if he catches it and he may have scored, and we're up 28-0.  Instead, we miss a field goal and they go down and score a touchdown. 

Might not be completely fair, and other people had chances to make playes after that point, but Allen was far from not a factor, and it's hard to not be critical of him today when we turned an easy win into a dog fight.

I love Allen, and I love what he does for our offense overall.  I think we kept the right TE for the right reasons. But...there is no denying that Dwayne's focus has slipped, or so it seems, based on the quantity of mental errors he has made this year and last.  He needs to become the reliable performer he used to be whenever he is on the field.  He simply isn't right now, but he can be and he needs to be held accountable.

You pretty much nailed how I feel even better than I could have said it.

2 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I was a HUGE Allen fan his rookie year. Hell he was even my second favorite offensive player on this team then. But dude has just literally gone downhill every since. And to think at one point he was the best TE in the nation in college. Those days are long gone.

I still am..I don't change my judgement on a few games in a row or dropped passes.

He's probably playing hurt and he's doing what we ask and we 're winning..

..but the shade keeps coming

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Has to be..because our tackles got beat 10 times and the threads are about Allen.

You have to see how it way, way out of proportion.

Because a dropped 3rd down pass in the opponents territory is far more obvious.

Haeg is a rookie

Castonzo has gotten his fair share of criticism.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I still am..I don't change my judgement on a few games in a row or dropped passes.

He's not doing what's been asked.

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Regardless, he's still not worth the contract he received, injuries or not. And if he has been playing injured, that doesn't make matters any better.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You don't pay a blocking TE the type of money type colts paid him... Offseason Release needed

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

I love Allen, and I love what he does for our offense overall.  I think we kept the right TE for the right reasons. But...there is no denying that Dwayne's focus has slipped, or so it seems, based on the quantity of mental errors he has made this year and last.  

I like Allen too, thought it was good for the team to re-sign him, but when I saw that drop today, I am now at the point where I'm hoping for Swoope to develop and take over, especially in passing situations.