Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The last time we played the Packers

RockThatBlue

39 minutes ago, ColtStrong said:

The last time we played the Pack we had a decent team. Now I expect them to shred us.

What was decent about that defense? We had worse parts then than we do now..On offense The line we had was bad, we could barely run the football and Reggie was the best receiver. We have a better group of receivers now and I think I will take Gore over Donald Brown.

I think that 2012 team had a bit more fight in them due to the Chuck Strong movement. And to be honest with you Green Bay looks similar too. It's all Aaron Rogers and no running game just like it was in 2012. Defensive pieces for them look about the same too. Packers might be playing worse defense now than they were then. Theyve given up a number of points. Game is just being played in Lambeau.

54 minutes ago, krunk said:

What was decent about that defense? We had worse parts then than we do now..On offense The line we had was bad, we could barely run the football and Reggie was the best receiver. We have a better group of receivers now and I think I will take Gore over Donald Brown.

I think that 2012 team had a bit more fight in them due to the Chuck Strong movement. And to be honest with you Green Bay looks similar too. It's all Aaron Rogers and no running game just like it was in 2012. Defensive pieces for them look about the same too. Packers might be playing worse defense now than they were then. Theyve given up a number of points. Game is just being played in Lambeau.

That team was just better. The record says it all.  better coached and maybe better talent 

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

That team was just better. The record says it all.  better coached and maybe better talent 

No we had a really soft schedule. Which of the personnel was better. Tell me that? You wont have much to speak on.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Everything you said may be true. Oh well. I don't debate any more.

Reggie went off!!! My favorite game of reggies (hence my pic, those awesome orange gloves he got fined for anyways) he was such a monster and one of my favorite luck era games, was such an impressive win.. man I miss converting 3rd downs with ease to Reggie 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

No we had a really soft schedule. Which of the personnel was better. Tell me that? You wont have much to speak on.

Well, off the top of my head, we had Reggie Wayne, a younger Mathis and Freeney,  Antoine Bethea, and probably a better defensive coordinator; we also had Arians. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

That team was definitely better. 

Mathis, Freeney and Hughes, none of them had monster years, but they were better than whatever we have at pass rusher right now. Bethea at safety, Freeman at ILB. The DL wasn't great. Neither was the OL. Offensive skill guys were about the same, with Reggie having a great year. 

I wasn't a fan of Arians' offense, but he called a few great games, and that was probably one of them. Chud hasn't called a great game this year. 

I'd definitely take the 2012 Colts over the 2016 Colts, if you're taking a snapshot. I think these Colts are somewhat dysfunctional, but there are some young guys that are foundational pieces, hopefully, so I think they'll be in good shape if they do the right things moving forward. I wouldn't want to go back to that roster, which played over its head. But this team is playing below its capabilities right now. 

46 minutes ago, MOB said:

One of the best and most memorable games I've seen them play. No one was stopping Reggie that game. 

I was very proud of that team that day. Overcoming losing your coach for a while and being able to do that. 

This video makes me miss Reggie Wayne so much :( 

8 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Lol the record says It all, man. The record is what shows how good your team is. And this year we stink. we haven't even played the real teams yet either 

Still didn't answer my question

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was very proud of that team that day. Overcoming losing your coach for a while and being able to do that. 

This video makes me miss Reggie Wayne so much :( 

Watching that video made me realize how underrated he is outside of colts fans, dude was a master of splitting the defense with his route running, all so natural and with ease

10 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Lol the record says It all, man. The record is what shows how good your team is. And this year we stink. we haven't even played the real teams yet either 

Not really.
 We won 11 games 3 years in a row with 5-6 win rosters.
 A joke we won 8 games last season.

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thought this was worth posting. Reggie Wayne was an absolute monster.

One of my favorites of the Luck era.

honestly, i feel the loss of Reggie is what has hurt this team for 2 seasons now.  not just on the field but in the locker room especially

13 hours ago, krunk said:

normally you and i are on the same side of things, but I gotta disagree. I think the 2012 team would beat the 2016 Colts 99 times out of 100.

As for who was better.

Bethea > Geathers/Green

Freeny/Hughes > Walden

Mathis in his prime > 2016 washed up Mathis

Reggie/TY > TY/Dorsett

just to name a few

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Mathis, Freeney and Hughes, none of them had monster years, but they were better than whatever we have at pass rusher right now. Bethea at safety, Freeman at ILB. The DL wasn't great. Neither was the OL. Offensive skill guys were about the same, with Reggie having a great year. 

I wasn't a fan of Arians' offense, but he called a few great games, and that was probably one of them. Chud hasn't called a great game this year. 

I'd definitely take the 2012 Colts over the 2016 Colts, if you're taking a snapshot. I think these Colts are somewhat dysfunctional, but there are some young guys that are foundational pieces, hopefully, so I think they'll be in good shape if they do the right things moving forward. I wouldn't want to go back to that roster, which played over its head. But this team is playing below its capabilities right now. 

Finally, we agree on something. A team is only as good as they play. no matter the "talent" on the roster 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Still didn't answer my question

Depends on what you're willing to concede 

2012 online: Gave up less sacks, hits and pressures on way more pass attempts. So they're better 

2012 receivers: Reggie/TY is 100 times better than Ty/Dorsett

2012 safeties: Bethea=Adams (debatable either way IMO) Zibikoeski=Green 

2012 Linebackers>2016 linebackers and that one might be the biggest difference honestly 

2012 cornerbacks: They don't have the namepower of our 2016 guys, but I'm pretty sure they gave up less ypg on average and I certainly don't remember them getting bum bossed by a bunch of scrub quarterbacks. Our DC hid their weaknesses better than monachino 

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Depends on what you're willing to concede 

2012 online: Gave up less sacks, hits and pressures on way more pass attempts. So they're better 

2012 receivers: Reggie/TY is 100 times better than Ty/Dorsett

2012 safeties: Bethea=Adams (debatable either way IMO) Zibikoeski=Green 

2012 Linebackers>2016 linebackers and that one might be the biggest difference honestly 

2012 cornerbacks: They don't have the namepower of our 2016 guys, but I'm pretty sure they gave up less ypg on average and I certainly don't remember them getting bum bossed by a bunch of scrub quarterbacks. Our DC hid their weaknesses better than monachino 

So true. Cory Redding was still able to contribute valuable minutes on the DL. We won a lot of close games that year, we were a scrappy team playing with house money, I felt. We didn't have colossal mental mistakes as a team. Luck could get away with staring at Reggie and throwing it because Reggie normally knew which zones to sit inside and was Luck's comfort zone, big time. 4 years later, Luck still does it but there is no wide out with such a high floor as Reggie now on the team. Higher ceiling on a given day, TY, but not the high consistent floor that Reggie brought in 2012.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

what did they do wrong?

when guys are done you let them go.  most careers end on a low note like that

Reggie wanted to play & retire a Colt, the Colts could've easily given Reggie a cheap, team friendly deal for a farewell season...

Sure he may have had nagging injuries & may have lost a step, but his familiarity alone would've made him more valuable than Johnson was that season...

It would've been the class thing to do...

11 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Reggie wanted to play & retire a Colt, the Colts could've easily given Reggie a cheap, team friendly deal for a farewell season...

Sure he may have had nagging injuries & may have lost a step, but his familiarity alone would've made him more valuable than Johnson was that season...

It would've been the class thing to do...

EXACTLY!

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Overall I'm speaking about the personnell.   I think the players we have on this D line are better than that 2012 squad.  The difference is the key players on this D line are injured.  There was only one decent player on that 2012 D line and that was Redding.   The linebackers you can speak about Freeman and Mathis at that time.  Freeney had about maybe 4 sacks that year.  Hughes I can't recall and Walden has more sacks than Him and plays the run better than he did.  Mathis was really the only guy that got consistent pressure on that squad, but because of Freeman they get a slight nod.    

I remember you didn't even feel Bethea played well that season and over the past couple of years Adams has been better than him or at least in the same league. Geathers has been bad the last couple of games, but he's a better player than Zibikowski.   And what was behind Zibikowski?  Joe Lefeged.  I'd take a struggling TJ Green over him.  

Cornerbacks I'd say this team is a bit better, but it's not a blow out.  Overall I think that 2012 team just had more fight about themselves, mainly because of Chuck Strong.  This 2016 team like you said plays below what they are capable of doing.  People call them sorry and they live up to it instead of pushing all their chips to the table and playing above that.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Overall I'm speaking about the personnell.   I think the players we have on this D line are better than that 2012 squad.  The difference is the key players on this D line are injured.  There was only one decent player on that 2012 D line and that was Redding.   The linebackers you can speak about Freeman and Mathis at that time.  Freeney had about maybe 4 sacks that year.  Hughes I can't recall and Walden has more sacks than Him and plays the run better than he did.  Mathis was really the only guy that got consistent pressure on that squad, but because of Freeman they get a slight nod.    

I remember you didn't even feel Bethea played well that season and over the past couple of years Adams has been better than him or at least in the same league. Geathers has been bad the last couple of games, but he's a better player than Zibikowski.   And what was behind Zibikowski?  Joe Lefeged.  I'd take a struggling TJ Green over him.  

Cornerbacks I'd say this team is a bit better, but it's not a blow out.

Your player by player breakdown seems reasonable enough in comparing the 2012-2016 squads, however, the 2012 squad seemed to play more inspired ball, coming up with key stops/plays in some crucial moments...

Definitely a more disciplined team overall as well, less penalties, etc.

I always heard the long standing adage about the worth and value of veteran presence in the locker room, & always pseudo believed in it, but, also questioned the amount of influence veteran presence could truly make over a team of 'supposed' professionals...

Now seeing the difference in the team from 2012-2016, & especially this season without guys like Reggie & Redding, I will buy into that belief system & value of the veteran mentor-ship & presence all day now...

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Your player by player breakdown seems reasonable enough in comparing the 2012-2016 squads, however, the 2012 squad seemed to play more inspired ball, coming up with key stops/plays in some crucial moments...

Definitely a more disciplined team overall as well, less penalties, etc.

I always heard the long standing adage about the worth and value of veteran presence in the locker room, & always pseudo believed in it, but, also questioned the amount of influence veteran presence could truly make over a team of 'supposed' professionals...

Now seeing the difference in the team from 2012-2016, & especially this season without guys like Reggie & Redding, I will buy into that belief system & value of the veteran mentor-ship & presence all day now...

Yeah I mentioned that.  That squad was inspired by Chuck Strong and wanting to play well for Pagano while he was battling cancer.   This team seems like they think high of themselves in a way that is counter productive.   They think they can play bad and sloppy half the year and come back and win the division and it's likely not to happen.