Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to completely bench TJ Green?

RockThatBlue

Hes had a personal foul penalty in 3 or 4 straight games and every one of them have been killers. I get that hes a rookie and he still may end up a good player, but why keep playing a guy who makes that mistake at least once a game? 

Thoughts or am I wrong in feeling this way? I just feel he needs to be held accountable.

You guys are right. Obviously we Dont have many options to replace him with, but I feel like something should be done to discipline him right? Then again maybe he is being disciplined behind closed doors, but I'm almost to the point if just yanking him if he does it again.

Benching  a rookie during a lost season because he is making rookie mistakes is the only coaching/ personnel choice dumber then what we are already doing.

we aren't winning a superbowl this year, might as well let the young guys get their reps, see who is worth keeping for next yr, or at least give some tape for our (hopefully new) coach to look over and make decisions from there. 

We knew green wasn't a polished product when he was picked. benching him won't help him learn the position better. With any luck the kid will stop looking so lost out there and eventually be a contributor for us. Can't give up on him halfway through his first season. 

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He's a bit of a head-hunter.  He leads too much with the helmet, whichbseems to pop off alot too.

his leading with the helmet is what gave Vontae the concussion too.

i like what he brings tho, and i think he can improve on the penalties.

They said that about him coming out of college  lol I think his first big hit in he nfl he led with his helmet couldve injured his neck terribly 

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

He is horrible in coverage but as far as stopping the run, i will take him and EJackson over anyone else on the defense past the DL! 

They need to keep playing Edwin Jackson. Clear speed, energy, physicality, tackling difference than the other backers we have. Kid loves to hit and I dig that!

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No. He is however as advertised. A hitter with size and speed. Just hasn't figured out you actually have to tackle in football. Surprised no one is complaining about Geathers. The last 2 games his play has been bad

Yes Geathers has been bad!

8 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No. He is however as advertised. A hitter with size and speed. Just hasn't figured out you actually have to tackle in football. Surprised no one is complaining about Geathers. The last 2 games his play has been bad

Yes.  The board seems to love Geathers.  Not sure why.

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

He was doing very well the first 5-6 games. Maybe he just got hurt and I seemed to have forgotten that

It's not a good thing that we had a plan in place to use the safeties to make up for our linebacker issues and the safeties can't cover either.  I'm not even sure what to do to solve the problem.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's not a good thing that we had a plan in place to use the safeties to make up for our linebacker issues and the safeties can't cover either.  I'm not even sure what to do to solve the problem.

Find a couple linebackers over the next couple years that can cover

24 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Geathers has played well outside of covering tight ends.  He's really struggled in man coverage.  

So he cant cover in man coverage on a defense that emphasizes man coverage.  And as a safety, he can't cover TE's. 

Sounds like you're saying about the only thing he does well is support the run.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So he cant cover in man coverage on a defense that emphasizes man coverage.  And as a safety, he can't cover TE's. 

Sounds like you're saying about the only thing he does well is support the run.

Essential yes. I don't think he's terrible at zone coverage but he's got a ways to go. 

This his first year as a full time starter.  Hopefully,  he'll keep getting better.  

This culminates in the Colts personnel being what it is, a gang of mediocre players that would not make it on some other teams combined with a lack of a code of discipline. The Texans head coach was screaming at his players when they were  beating the Lions. Maybe I have missed the press conferences when Pagano jumps on his players but I have never heard him ticked off and saying his players are not doing their jobs. Then you have an owner saying they should be 6-0 after week six. I should be living on an island in the Pacific surround by "friendly" natives.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

This culminates in the Colts personnel being what it is, a gang of mediocre players that would not make it on some other teams combined with a lack of a code of discipline. The Texans head coach was screaming at his players when they were  beating the Lions. Maybe I have missed the press conferences when Pagano jumps on his players but I have never heard him ticked off and saying his players are not doing their jobs. Then you have an owner saying they should be 6-0 after week six. I should be living on an island in the Pacific surround by "friendly" natives.

Pagano has been interviewed on more than one instance heading to the locker room at half time and he publicly stated guys got to man up and do there jobs. He has not been very good as a coach in game management situations but he also has very little talent to work with

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Pagano has been interviewed on more than one instance heading to the locker room at half time and he publicly stated guys got to man up and do there jobs. He has not been very good as a coach in game management situations but he also has very little talent to work with

Pagano really isn't good at anything except being a nice guy. He's a talent killer. How many of our players have been consistently good under Pagano's tenure? In fact, how many rookies have had great back to back years with noticeable improvements under Pagano? I would Say Luck and Hilton, but Arians was the coach most of the first year they were on the team. So maybe Moncrief and Mewhort? I'm asking because so many of our players have good rookie years, then in their sophomore year, they fizzle out and regress. It seems too much of a coincidence for that to be on Grigson missing every time. This is a Pagano problem not developing his players and utilizing them properly to their strengths. 

1 hour ago, GoBlue12 said:

TJ Green was poor in coverage at Clemson. The Colts knew that when they drafted him. He is a project.

But Grigson, channeling the late Al Davis, seems enamored with speed over skill. See Phillip Dorsett who was not very productive at Miami.

I was thinking it was just at the WR position but you might be right.  The Grigson obsession with speed may go deeper then that.  

I also noted that Grigson seems to prefer safeties who are hard hitting run stoppers over safeties that can actually cover.  

25 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I was thinking it was just at the WR position but you might be right.  The Grigson obsession with speed may go deeper then that.  

I also noted that Grigson seems to prefer safeties who are hard hitting run stoppers over safeties that can actually cover.  

And that is stupid imo I'd rather have safeties that can cover and get me INTs as long as they can tackle then safeties that hit hard but give up chunks of yards at a time and produce zero INTs or pass defenses  

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Him burnt on the long ball tee'd me off pretty good. He was running and didn't even turn to look at the ball or he could have popped it out easily. No instincts there. Hopefully he learns.

Looked like at the last second he was doing the Monster Mash. lol
 He seems like he is a serious competitor so i will be rooting him on till he becomes really good.
 Better in year 2, even better in year 3.