Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Mock - D Oriented

Round 1 - Andrew Luck

Round 2 - assume Dontari Poe is gone, so trade No.34 and No.65 to Eagles for No.46 and No.51

Round 2 No.46 - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson/Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama (whoever is available out of the two)

Round 2 No.51 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina/Chase Minnfield, CB, Virginia (whoever is available)

Round 4 - Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas / A.J.Jenkins, WR, Illinois who compares to Brandon Lloyd (I expect one of them to be there)

Round 5 - Akiem Nicks, 3-4 or 4-3 NT, has the measurables at 6'5", 324, 4.98 speed, Regina (my sleeper pick :))

Round 6 - Donte Paige Moss (OLB/DE), North Carolina (6'4", 260, 4.67, this is where we can take a flyer on a questionable character guy, IMO)

Round 6 compensatory pick for Clint Session - B.J.Cunningham, WR, Michigan State (6'1", 209, 4.59, reminds me so much of Jerrico Cotchery as a possession wideout in the middle, makes tough catches every time I have watched him, plays quicker than his timed speed, and gets YAC like Anquan Boldin)

Round 6 compensatory pick for Raheem Brock - Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame (6'2", 255, 4.65)

Round 6 compensatory pick for Charlie Johnson - Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly, 5'10", 193, 4.40 (read this: http://www.gopoly.co.../20120123dciurg)

Round 7 - Antoine McClain, OG, Clemson (6'5", 335, 5.34)

Maybe we can add Cory Redding, who is a free agent, from the Ravens to the D-line too.

I like it. The only real change i would make is Case Hayward instead of Gilmore. Gilmore is bigger and thats why he appeals to people more. But Hayward is by far the better corner. He is just as much of an impact in the run game despite his size and is also one of the better cover guys in this years draft. He also played tougher competition and shut down that competition and then finally to top it off he has probably the best ball skills of all the corners in this draft. Which have given him 11 picks in the last 2 years.

Not a bad draft. One question, why do you have the Colts getting a comp pick for Brock? He left after the 2009 season.

Oops, oversight on my part :)

I wonder about a compensatory pick for Clint Session also. He didn't do very much, and only played in nine games. I hope we get one for him, but I doubt it, and if we do, it will probably be after the 7th round.

Should get a decent one for Charlie Johnson, though. He started every game for a team with the 4th best run game in the league, at left tackle. Got a decent contract, too (3 years, $10.5 million).

I don't know the formula for these picks, but I think CJ was more valuable to the Vikings than Session was for the Jags.

I wonder about a compensatory pick for Clint Session also. He didn't do very much, and only played in nine games. I hope we get one for him, but I doubt it, and if we do, it will probably be after the 7th round.

Should get a decent one for Charlie Johnson, though. He started every game for a team with the 4th best run game in the league, at left tackle. Got a decent contract, too (3 years, $10.5 million).

I don't know the formula for these picks, but I think CJ was more valuable to the Vikings than Session was for the Jags.

Here's an article that briefly explains how comp picks are awarded.

I don't know what type of salary Session received but I think it was pretty good. But his playing time will hurt.

I also wonder what effect the signing of Collins, Anderson, Brayton, and Sims will have on it. Because the Colts signed more FA than they lost.

Here's an article that briefly explains how comp picks are awarded.

I remember reading that article, but I'm still not certain how they figure it out. Also, the compensatory pick rules may have changed in the new CBA; I'm not sure.

I don't know what type of salary Session received but I think it was pretty good. But his playing time will hurt.

Session got five years, $30 million, but it's unclear how the contract plays into the pick value. The article says "a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks." Very vague.

Of course, the Redskins got a compensatory pick for Mark Brunell in 2009, and he started one game for the Saints that year. So who knows?

I also wonder what effect the signing of Collins, Anderson, Brayton, and Sims will have on it. Because the Colts signed more FA than they lost.

This too. But our signings were all in secondary free agency, to whatever extent that existed last year after the CBA was finalized. Everything happened so quick. But none of the guys we signed got contracts like CJ or Session, both of whom got multi-year deals.

What might help us is this:

Thirty compensatory picks were awarded to clubs based upon the compensatory pick formula. By rule, two additional choices were awarded at the end of the seventh round to bring the total number of compensatory selections to 32, equaling the number of NFL clubs. The two additional picks were awarded to Detroit and Kansas City based upon the 2009 draft selection order. (Note: St. Louis and Kansas City finished 2008 with identical records. St. Louis chooses second in all odd rounds and Kansas City chooses second in all even rounds. Once compensatory picks have been awarded according to the formula, draft selection order is followed to assign any remaining picks, and for this purpose, the assignment of the pick is made as if it were the eighth round, so Kansas City is awarded the choice.)

In short, if there are less than 32 compensatory picks awarded, then they give out more until they reach 32, and they are awarded according to draft order, and it's treated like the 8th round. So if there's 31 compensatory picks, the Rams get the 32nd. If there's 30, we get the 31st. And so on. Just our luck, there will be one extra pick, and it will go to the Rams.