Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Kiper Big Board 10/27/16

Kiper has not done a new Big Board (Top 25) in a month.     A long time for him.    Some new names to unveil.      He does not have out yet a new top-10 at each position.   Not sure when that will be released.        

Enjoy!              :thmup:

In this edition of my Big Board: a new No. 1 quarterback and two Pac-12 defensive linemen make their debuts.

A reminder: General scouting reports on these players won't change week to week unless my overall evaluation changes. I'll simply be updating performance notes and providing updates on key matchups to come.

One asterisk denotes a junior, and two asterisks denote a redshirt sophomore for the 2016 season.

1. *Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

Garrett, still dealing with the effects of a high ankle sprain, had a few more tackles for loss in the Aggies' loss to Alabama, though he didn't sack Jalen Hurts. Facing a really good offensive line, he still looked like one of the best players on the field. At 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, Garrett has the length, strength and ability to bend the edge. He's a brilliant, natural pass-rusher and is up to 26.0 career sacks. He looks like a top-five lock.

2. *Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

Fournette had one of those special games in Saturday's win over Ole Miss, with 284 rushing yards and three touchdowns on just 16 carries. That's 17.8 yards per carry. He's really special when he's healthy -- that was an issue the first half of the season, but he looks much more fluid after being limited by a gimpy ankle. He has an incredible combination of size, speed and power that can make him look like a varsity player hanging with the JV. Mileage was a concern heading into the season, so the ankle injury could benefit him in NFL scouts' eyes. He had a whopping 300 carries in 2015.

3. **Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

Peppers' dark-horse Heisman candidacy is probably slipping away, but it's not because he has done anything wrong. He just hasn't had to do much lately for the Wolverines' top-ranked defense, which is allowing only 10.0 points per game. Peppers (6-0, 210 pounds) plays safety, corner and outside linebacker and is a dynamic returner, as he showed on a punt return TD this season. He also plays a little offense, running for two touchdowns in Michigan's 78-0 blowout of Rutgers on Oct. 8. Could he become a Deone Bucannon type of linebacker at the next level? I expect him to test off the charts at the NFL combine.

4.   Jonathan Allen DL, Alabama

wrote on Monday about Allen's performance against Texas A&M, in which he had a signature sack, returned a fumble for a touchdown and was generally dominant. He was tremendous. He's so relentless and so steady. Allen was stellar in 2015, when he led the Crimson Tide in sacks (12) and tackles for loss (14.5). He's up to six sacks this season on a dominant Alabama defense. Defensive end, defensive tackle -- Allen can play anywhere on the line. By April, he could be in the mix for the top pick.

5. *Jamal Adams, S, LSU

The Tigers gave up only 16 and 18 points in their two losses. In other words, don't blame Adams and the defense. Next up, though, is No. 1 Alabama on Nov. 5. Adams has great bloodlines -- his dad, George Adams, was the No. 19 overall pick in the 1985 NFL draft -- and he is built for today's NFL as a versatile safety who can play in the box effectively, make tackles against the run and move to the edges and track slot receivers. There is a premium on these monsterbacks.

6. Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster is a big-time inside linebacker, and he might have been Alabama's best linebacker last season. Yes, that means better than Reggie Ragland, who went in the second round to the Bills in this year's draft and whom I had as the No. 24-ranked prospect. Foster has more range, runs sideline to sideline and is a more complete player. Expect him to follow in the footsteps of inside linebackers from Alabama who have gone in the first round, such as Rolando McClainDont'a Hightower and C.J. Mosley.

7. *Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

McDowell has had some growing pains, but he has matured into an elite-level prospect. He's a fantastic athlete with a 6-6, 290-pound frame. Production has been his issue -- he has 1.5 sacks in his past two games but just 7.5 in his career. I do see him overwhelming blockers one-on-one and/or winning with quickness, though. He's a talent.

8. Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams, my top-ranked prospect in my preseason Big Board, does one thing incredibly well: rush the passer. And that's what NFL teams are looking for. He's a fantastic pass-rushing talent who can be unblockable at times. After 10.5 sacks in 2015 -- on only about 20 percent of Alabama's defensive snaps -- Williams has 6.5 this season, including three in his past two games. At 6-4, 250, he needs to show he can do the other things required from an outside linebacker, like setting the edge and playing the run.

9. Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA

Pac-12 offensive tackles are having nightmares about McKinley, who is a dominant speed rusher. At 6-2, 240, he's not huge, but his explosion off the line is suited for today's NFL. A former junior-college player, McKinley has really come on as a senior. He has seven sacks this season, including three in the Bruins' loss to Utah last weekend, when he also forced two fumbles. He has impressed me with his motor, too, even while dealing with multiple injuries.

10. *Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Cook is a home run hitter who can turn small creases into massive gains. After a slow start to the season, he has rushed for 115 or more yards in his past four games, including a 267-yard effort at South Florida. He's averaging 5.7 yards per carry, and he's approaching his catch total from last season with 21 receptions for 356 yards. With good hands and the ability to find and pick up blitzes, he's versatile.

11. *Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett has been a monster the past four weeks, with six sacks, a few more tackles for loss and several play disruptions. He even had an interception in the loss to Alabama. At 6-3, 265 pounds, Barnett is an all-around defender who beats double-teams, makes plays in the run game and gets after quarterbacks. I see him as a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL, not a 3-4 outside linebacker, but that shouldn't hurt his value. He's a really good player.

12. **Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Thomas, only a third-year sophomore, is the best player on Stanford's defense and one of the best defenders in the Pac-12. He plays like a veteran, causing disruptions in both the running and passing game. He has 5.5 sacks this season while playing end, but at 6-3, 270 pounds, he could move inside and play tackle, too. The versatility is what stands out. And he has some speed -- check out this fumble return.

13. *Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

Williams, my No. 1 receiver, has put behind him the scary neck injurythat prematurely ended his 2015 season, and he's back to being Deshaun Watson's go-to target. He had 12 catches for 146 yards and a touchdown in the Tigers' overtime win over NC State. Williams has great burst and speed for his size (6-2, 225 pounds). He's productive, too, and put up more than 1,000 receiving yards as a sophomore in 2014.

14. *Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

Welcome to the Big Board, Mitch Trubisky. He's my new No. 1 quarterback. I've been looking for a QB to make the leap this season, and I found it in Trubisky, who has been the best signal-caller in the country -- yes, that includes Louisville's Lamar Jackson, who has missed too many throws overall. Trubisky (6-3, 220) is completing 71.2 percent of his passes in his first season as the full-time starter, even with the nightmare game while playing in Hurricane Matthew in which he was just 13-of-33. He has 18 touchdown passes and only two interceptions. He throws a nice ball, has some touch and velocity, and is mobile, too. He has four rushing touchdowns.

15. **Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

This is the year of the third-year sophomore, and Ohio State has two really good ones who could jump to the draft. Buckeyes safety Malik Hookerwas in my previous Big Board, and this is Lattimore's first appearance. Lattimore (6-1, 190) is a first-year starter who struggled with a hamstring injury during his first two years in Columbus. He has been fantastic this season, standing out in a group of talented defenders. Lattimore tackles well and has locked down receivers; he has three interceptions. The cornerback class for the 2017 draft could be special, and Lattimore is in the top tier.

16. *Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn

A 6-2, 250-pound pass-rusher, Lawson has always been a spectacular talent, but he has had some injury issues. He missed all of 2014 with a torn ACL and missed six games in 2015 with a hip injury. Now healthy, he has 6.5 sacks for the Tigers so far. He's showing off the potential, even if his pass-rushing moves are still developing.

17. *JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC

Smith-Schuster has three consecutive 100-yard receiving games as the Trojans have finally gotten some stability at quarterback. That includes three-touchdown games in wins over Arizona State and Arizona. He has the talent and ability to be an an elite wide receiver in the NFL. With a coveted combination of size (6-2, 220) and speed, Smith-Schuster is what teams look for in No. 1 wideouts.

18. **Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

At 6-1, Humphrey is a big, lockdown corner, and he's improving every week. He had three interceptions as a redshirt freshman last season and was a key playmaker for the national champs. He has two interceptions this season, and the first was returned for a touchdown in the Tide's beatdown of USC in Week 1. Humphrey has great bloodlines: His father, Bobby, was a big-time running back at Alabama who was picked by the Broncos in the first round of the 1989 supplemental draft.

19. *Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington

The 6-1, 321-pound defensive tackle is impressive. Qualls had 4.5 sacks in 2015, and he has two for the undefeated Huskies in 2016. He's not tall, but his frame allows him to eat up space and take on blockers, which helps the rest of the solid Washington defense. The Huskies are giving up only 14.6 points per game this season, sixth-best in the country.

20. *Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

Tabor just makes plays. He showed up in big moments every time I turned on last season's tape, breaking up passes and locking down receivers. He returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 2015. You can argue that Tabor was the most consistently effective Florida cornerback last season -- and Vernon Hargreaves III went No. 11 overall to the Bucs. Tabor has an interception in his past three games, including a 39-yard touchdown return vs. Missouri, and four on the season.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard hasn't been a prolific pass-catcher at Alabama, but he has all the tools scouts look for in an NFL tight end. He's coming off his best game of the season, with eight catches for 69 yards and a touchdown in the Crimson Tide's win over Texas A&M. At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds, he is going to light up the NFL combine. He can stretch the deep middle of the field and become a more dynamic weapon. He could be a playmaker in the NFL. Just look at last season's national title game, in which he had 208 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

22. *Charles Harris, DE, Missouri

Harris has moved up and down on my Big Board a couple of times, but his highlight was his play in the Tigers' loss to Georgia. He was tremendously disruptive, with three sacks, a tackle for loss and a batted-down pass, and he showed off a variety of pass-rushing moves. He doesn't have a full sack in any other game this season, though. A 6-3, 255-pound pass-rusher, Harris can stand up in a 3-4 or put his hand on the ground in a 4-3. He even moved inside to defensive tackle a few times to rush the quarterback. Last season, he led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss.

23. *Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech

Hodges is an unbelievable athlete. I think he'll be one of the fastest tight ends of the past few years when he runs at the combine. A former high school quarterback, Hodges is coming off his best game of the season. He had seven catches for 66 yards and two touchdowns in the Hokies' rout of Miami. At 6-7, 245 pounds, he's imposing. He's productive, too, with 18 career touchdowns. In a great tight end class, Hodges might be the best.

24. *Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

I'm not sure Robinson can be a left tackle in the NFL, but he could be a great right tackle. At 6-6, 327 pounds, Robinson was a starter from day one at Alabama, and he's already a known commodity around the NFL. He's battle-tested and extremely consistent. He had some battles with Garrett and the other talented Texas A&M defensive linemen, and he held up well.

25. *Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Watson has moved down a spot in my quarterback rankings, but that's not because of him. He had a funky start to the season, but he has played better in recent weeks, though the interceptions are worrisome. He had three in the win over Louisville. But then you look at the rest of the game, and he was really impressive. He completed 64.5 percent of his passes. He ran for 91 yards. At 6-2 and 210 pounds, he might not have ideal size, but he isn't small. He combines arm strength with touch and has tremendous ability with the ball in his hands, and that doesn't just mean running. He also throws well on the move.

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Looks to be another draft loaded with talent at some positions of need. Dice may role in our favor with very good players of need in lower rounds

I'm thinking the same thing.....OL heavy last year (Colts did a great job there it looks like)....pass rushers, lb's and running backs seem to be deep on this one.

This is an odd class....

For example,  on offense, the early read is......

Weak at positions like quarterback,  wide receiver and offensive tackle.

Strong in positions like running back,  tight end,  guard and center.

Strange.

Defense looks pretty good.     I'm not aware yet that there's a position that is great like defensive tackle was last year.     That was a rare class of DT's.        But I'm not aware that there's a weak position group.      I don't think there are a lot of 1st round corners,  but I think there are a number of very good 2nd and maybe 3rd round corners.      I hope we grab one. 

I think I may prefer Jonathan Allen over everyone in this draft class for the Colts. Allen would give them a potentially dominant DL along with Anderson and Langford, and would drastically improve their pass rush also. If Indy is picking top 7, they gotta manage a way to land either Garrett or Allen if they really wanna improve this pass rush in my opinion.

As bad as our ILB have been this year, Reuben Foster would look really good in the middle of our D next year, don't know where he will rank with where we will draft, but like him a lot.  Watch a lot of SEC football and really like watching Tabor the CB from Florida as well. Regardless, we need some guys on D that can make a difference (and tackle)