Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If anything truly chaps me about our Defense this year.....

ztboiler

It's that we manufactured so much more pass rush in 2014 with Walden, Werner and Newsome on the edges with guys like Redding and RJF on the inside than this year with Walden, Ayres, Mathis (diminished) etc. on the edges and better inside guys (though seemingly misused).

We can talk about this year's injuries, but which team overcame more?  Losing Mathis for the season in 2014 and his 19 sacks from the year before and replacement with an ineffective successor in Werner....or the injuries of 2016?

Look at the stats - 41 sacks in 2014.  Newsome leading with 6.5.  Walden had 6

It's a comparison that should raise ample questions.

Newsome is a guy that really disappointed me. He had a fine 2014 season. Second among rookies in sacks (6.5) and a was great against Denver in the Divisional Round (had a key strip sack). Coming into 2015 he said his goal was to hit 10 sacks (which I thought he would've to be honest). He came about 9 sacks short. And the Colts cut him. 

3 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I still say we should have kept Newsome. Releasing him was a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. And a dumb one too, might I add.

Was about to post then saw this. I agree. I highly doubt Newsome would have turned into something special, after his abysmal 2015. But cutting a guy that finished second among rookies in sacks, was kind of a questionable move. There had to be off field reasons for his release.

10 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I still say we should have kept Newsome. Releasing him was a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. And a dumb one too, might I add.

I don't know what the cause of his dismissal was but where is he now and how is he doing on that team? 

36 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don't know what the cause of his dismissal was but where is he now and how is he doing on that team? 

Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League

He has to play exceptionally well there, and keep his nose (and bloodstream) clean until someone decides he can have a second NFL chance.

Newsome was released a little less than a week after he was arrested for marijuana last February.  Nobody is sure if there was a bit more that finally tipped the scales to releaase him, but he pleaded guilty to one count of maintaining a common nuisance later in April, and was sentenced to supervised probation but managed avoiding a felony conviction.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Mochachino simply hasn't figured out how to work with our D yet.

I refuse to believe Toilet and Freeman(although im one of his biggest supporters) were this crucial to our D not being an abortion on the field. 

He's still working on the formula that no one else has figured out....how to polish a turd

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Newsome is a guy that really disappointed me. He had a fine 2014 season. Second among rookies in sacks (6.5) and a was great against Denver in the Divisional Round (had a key strip sack). Coming into 2015 he said his goal was to hit 10 sacks (which I thought he would've to be honest). He came about 9 sacks short. And the Colts cut him. 

Was about to post then saw this. I agree. I highly doubt Newsome would have turned into something special, after his abysmal 2015. But cutting a guy that finished second among rookies in sacks, was kind of a questionable move. There had to be off field reasons for his release.

If I recall it was for off field reasons

20 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

20 hours ago, Jdubu said:

He was released cause he couldn't stay off the weeeeeeeed *Stephen A. Smith Voice*

Then he was actually taken to court for it. Posted a picture via Twitter of himself dabbing in front of the courthouse with the caption "Beat the charge" over it

Few minutes later Colts reporter Stephen Holder tweeted that he took a plea deal 

-__-