Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will the Colts have 4 new starting LB next season?

MacDee1975

I can't ever remember seeing a worse starting unit in my life than this year's Colts lb corps.  Walden and Mathis are FA and will be gone.  I can see Jackson getting cut;  McNary wouldn't start on any other team in the NFL and will likely be out.  Nobody behind them even remotely looks like a legit NFL starter.

So, do they go LB in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and sign 2 starting LB as well?

It is possible. That is why I mocked this in the draft section:

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt

2. Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (he reminds me a bit of Jason Verrett of the Chargers)/ my other option would be Dawuane Smoot, OLB/DE, Illinois

3. Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh (his stock is rising)

4. Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU

5. Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is possible. That is why I mocked this in the draft section:

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt

2. Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (he reminds me a bit of Jason Verrett of the Chargers)/ my other option would be Dawuane Smoot, OLB/DE, Illinois

3. Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh (his stock is rising)

4. Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU

5. Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina

Michigan State & Clemson have 2 LB's I love but can't remember their names. I know their last names start with B though.

We'll draft OLB in the first and ILB in the 2nd or 3rd and RB by the end of the 4th.  There will be a CB in there too.  Its just a matter of slotting the college player to the proper draft slot based on talent. 

Hopefully the talent will fall to where we can draft OLB and ILB in rounds 1 and 2 and not have to reach.

EJ or Morrison will probably at one ILB position start as well as Walden or Ayers at SAM.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

I can't ever remember seeing a worse starting unit in my life than this year's Colts lb corps.  Walden and Mathis are FA and will be gone.  I can see Jackson getting cut;  McNary wouldn't start on any other team in the NFL and will likely be out.  Nobody behind them even remotely looks like a legit NFL starter.

So, do they go LB in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and sign 2 starting LB as well?

They'll need to use a high pick on RB, but other than that, I'd say yes, 4 new starters at LB.

2 but only 1 will come from the draft. The other will come from in house. I'm expecting Rush Linebacker in the draft. I'd love to get Cunningham but I think Pagano and company see Morrison as the starter next year in place of Jackson and who knows at the other ILB spot but likely from in house. I don't think they have the slightest interest in fast ILB's that can cover.

I think we hold onto Walden or Ayers takes his place 

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

This is what I am really hoping for. And the Colts need to have a respectable season (9-7). in order to attract a couple of good free agents.

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

2 but only 1 will come from the draft. The other will come from in house. I'm expecting Rush Linebacker in the draft. I'd love to get Cunningham but I think Pagano and company see Morrison as the starter next year in place of Jackson and who knows at the other ILB spot but likely from in house. I don't think they have the slightest interest in fast ILB's that can cover.

Oh wonderful!! A younger version of DQs crappy play. I think your right tho Pagano and Grigson wouldn't know a good ILB if it was starring them in the face!! oh wait one was last year in Kendricks and we passed lmao

It's possible. Jackson is also a FA I believe. They may try and get Walden on a 1 year deal. I think they'll probably start Morrison and draft 2-3 LBs in the draft. The only way we'll see 4 brand new starters though is if they sign a notable name in FA. I can't imagine them starting 4 rookies, or 3 rooks and Morrison. That'd be a lot of youth at LB.

4 hours ago, egg said:

This is what I am really hoping for. And the Colts need to have a respectable season (9-7). in order to attract a couple of good free agents.

Our record this season will have very little, if any impact on FA signings. 

58 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's possible. Jackson is also a FA I believe. They may try and get Walden on a 1 year deal. I think they'll probably start Morrison and draft 2-3 LBs in the draft. The only way we'll see 4 brand new starters though is if they sign a notable name in FA. I can't imagine them starting 4 rookies, or 3 rooks and Morrison. That'd be a lot of youth at LB.

I agree. I think Grigson will either pull a trade of some kind to get a veteran LB or a free agent if a decent one becomes available.

4 hours ago, egg said:

IMO the Colts record will have no effect with signing free agents. If Grigson is interested he will contact the players agent and make an offer and go from there.

I would not go FA if i was Grigs.  I liked his grabs of Moore/Irving when they happened, but look where they are now.  

While i do agree going all in for linebackers in this coming draft like we did for the o-line is most probably the best choice, i'd still use a high pick ( top 3) on a RB.  and also keep an eye on a CB.  it really depends what talent drops to what pic,k from which position.  Still got to go BPA overall.  Just more of a selective BPA.

We best have at least 3. Go EDGE and ILB in the first 2 rounds. You can get a day 1 starting ILB in the 2nd or 3rd if you know what you're doing. We need to find our Jamie Collins, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, etc in the 2nd or 3rd. But hopefully....

Chandler Jones - Zach Brown - (Rookie 2nd or 3rd rounder) - Myles Garrett

I'd keep Walden as a backup, let everyone else go except Morrison and Maggitt, but I think we should look at a vet like Ware to be a situational pass rusher. And I can see us still picking in the top 10 and having a shot at Garrett.

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

He's not a blue chip player

I had to google this term. Learn something new everyday...

Blue chips are athletes, particularly high school players, targeted for drafting or signing by teams at the college level. Collegiate players being scouted by professional franchises may also be referred to as blue chips

I'd guess at 2. DQ is still being productive even if his ability is limited, and Walden I think get resigned as long as he doesn't get ideas above his station moneywise.

But Mathis's contract I think is up after this year. And he just isn't there anymore. I honestly wouldn't blame him if he retired. I'm thinking he get replaced with a FA or a draftee. Hopefully a draftee.

Morrison is the only thing that is questionable right now. If he makes a bit of a leap and we don't pick up say Reuben Foster in the draft or pick up a good FA, he could well still start. Whether he should be starting is another matter entirely.

7 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

That is exactly the scenario I suggested last week (it got moved to the draft board).  You can still see it over there.   They really have no choice but to sign 2 and draft 2, but they have to hit on all 4 or it'll be the same old again next year.  I figure they may have to resign Walden as depth, but the rest should be clean swept because they can likely pick up lower tier FA's and even a couple UDFAs next year as good as the rest of our corps.  But it is going to have to be LB heavy the next 2 years to fix it.  

If our offense stays healthy and keeps steadily improving like it has been, I could see Grigs going 80/20 defense/offense in the draft and FA.  However, if pressure keeps coming from the right side forcing Luck into dangerous scenarios the rest of the season with no improvement, I would totally understand if Irsay tells Grigs and Co.  to spend rounds 1 and/or 2 on top notch collegiate linemen to make the line solid from LT to RT.  Also, we need another running back besides Gore.  If Gore goes down, we no longer have the threat of a running game.  Its a solid RB class next year and their are a handful of guards that have 2nd round grades or better.  Luck is the team and we probably need one more year of 3 draft picks addressing RG, RT (if no improvement is seen from Good, Haeg, Clark.  Ive given up on Reitz and his health/performance issues.  Although, I do like the depth we have now on the Oline even with the pressures.  The rookies are at least semi-capable of holding their own at the NFL level.  I'm one of the few on here probably that would be ok spending a 1st rounder on one of the top 4 RB's, if all linebackers we are high on are gone.

We always had a running game when he had a 1st rd RB setting up behind QB.  Dickerson, Faulk, James, Addai, Brown(meh, not so much).  Gore is all we have and he's getting up there om age. 

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

I'm not sold on Morrison yet. He may be good against the run but to my eyes he hasn't shown he can pass cover across the middle. We are sorely lacking in that area. I am concerned that the Chiefs' Kelce will eat us up on Sunday.

Should they have all new starting LBs next year? Absolutely!

Will they? Probably not, knowing Grigson unless Indy has a new GM. Both D'Qwell and Mathis need to go. They are too old and cost too much. Walden is maybe the only LB I'd like to bring back that's starting.

I think they will keep Walden (assuming the current management stays in power) he has produced here.  Also I know a lot of people who cover the Colts for the media keep saying Morrison was drafted to be Jackson's replacement.  so I would expect Morrison to be a starter.  They clearly need a passrusher to replace Mathis and I would say the other MLBer spot is up in the air for next year. 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

That is exactly the scenario I suggested last week (it got moved to the draft board).  You can still see it over there.   They really have no choice but to sign 2 and draft 2, but they have to hit on all 4 or it'll be the same old again next year.  I figure they may have to resign Walden as depth, but the rest should be clean swept because they can likely pick up lower tier FA's and even a couple UDFAs next year as good as the rest of our corps.  But it is going to have to be LB heavy the next 2 years to fix it.  

If Walden is re signed,  it won't be for depth.   He will be starting

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO the Colts record will have no effect with signing free agents. If Grigson is interested he will contact the players agent and make an offer and go from there.

I want the Colts to sign proven good players. Not ho-hum -whatever-hope they work out -..players. Good players will have multiple offers, and where there are similar offers, the free agents will have a choice, and if their choice is between a winning team or a losing team, where would you go?

12 minutes ago, egg said:

I want the Colts to sign proven good players. Not ho-hum -whatever-hope they work out -..players. Good players will have multiple offers, and where there are similar offers, the free agents will have a choice, and if their choice is between a winning team or a losing team, where would you go?

You don't think any defensive player don't know that the Colts offense is good enough to win and all they need is defense? The win-lose record would not make a difference if they thought they could help make a winner.

I know he is an offensive player but why do you think Gore came to Indy?

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't think any defensive player don't know that the Colts offense is good enough to win and all they need is defense? The win-lose record would not make a difference if they thought they could help make a winner.

I know he is an offensive player but why do you think Gore came to Indy?

Gore came to a winning team. Had the Colts been 5-11, or 6-10, do you think he would have come, thinking to himself, "All they need is me to make them a contender"?