Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this another must win game this weekend?

Chucklez

I know, I know. Pretty much all of our remaining games are must wins, we can afford to lose maybe one or two more at the most the rest of the way to potentially take the AFC south, but with the Texans playing Detroit at home, they have a decent chance of winning that game and if we lose to the Chiefs, we are 2 and a half games down again with the Packers up next AT Lambeau.

To me this is just as much a must win as the Titans game was... We cannot afford to lose to the Chiefs when we have the Packers, Steelers and Vikings  left on the schedule and we can only really afford 1 more loss after that... I hope this Colts team still feels the urgency and aren't going to take their feet off the gas after the scrappy win vs the Titans...

Btw, leave your "We should lose out for better draft picks" comments at the door... I hate that way of thinking, i want to see my team win.... If the 2006 Colts and the 2012 Giants could do it, so could we.

10-6 is probably our best case scenario, or most likely scenario. 9-7 SHOULD win division so long as we beat the Texans next time around and own the tie breaker hopefully.

Packers will be tough at lambeu, but they haven't been playing that great either lately. Steelers game, well we know how those have went, but a lot of that will depend on when Big Ben comes back. Minnesota will be tough too, much like the Denver game probably. The rest are toss ups really, it just depends on how the Colts progress, or regress, through the rest of the season. 

I know I am new to this forum and live in a foreign country, but I cannot believe the negativity towards the team on here. What do you think any player reading this will think before the rest of the games, if the fans don't have the teams back, what chance do they have.

Yes, they have chucked a couple of games away, but they have also won ugly a couple of times as well.

To have any chance of playoffs I think we need to win all but one of our games remaining, after that the post mortem can begin in earnest, but while it is still possible to progress, lets get behind the team no matter where in the world you happen to be.

IMHO KC is a must-win if for no other reason than to show that we can compete with playoff-calibre teams.  KC made the playoffs last year and, with their big win over the Raiders, are showing they're a CLEAR favorite to be the WC out of the AFC West again this year.

If KC blows us out, we TRULY might as well just tank the rest of the season because even by some miracle we win the AFC South we'll just lose our first playoff game.

It's a must win because we need to win.  I don't think we are trying to answer any question of whether or not we can play with playoff teams.  We already know we can do that.  We are what one season out of the playoffs our ownselves and we played an assortment of very close games with playoff teams last year and a very close game with Denver this year.  San Diego is no playoff team but they are still putting  a lot of points on the board and we didn't turn that into a mess. I don't question whether or not we can beat the Chiefs.  I know we can beat the Chiefs, it's not even an issue with me.   What we need to do I feel is play winning football 4 quarters consistently.  It is us who get in our own way. This is the area we need to continue to grow in.

38 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Minnesota Vikings 

You see those crazy YouTube sports predictions? Lots of them are saying Vikings and Colts Superbowl with Colts winning it all. Kind of interesting but what do they say when they're wrong? How they come up with the stuff is almost insane.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's a must win because we need to win.  I don't think we are trying to answer any question of whether or not we can play with playoff teams.  We already know we can do that.  We are what one season out of the playoffs our ownselves and we played an assortment of very close games with playoff teams last year and a very close game with Denver this year.  San Diego is no playoff team but they are still putting  a lot of points on the board and we didn't turn that into a mess. I don't question whether or not we can beat the Chiefs.  I know we can beat the Chiefs, it's not even an issue with me.   What we need to do I feel is play winning football 4 quarters consistently.  It is us who get in our own way. This is the area we need to continue to grow in.

Yes I agree this is a must win game. A good start would be to quit shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties especially at crucial times.

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Colts are 3-4, with 9 games remaining.  I figure they would need to win 8/9, with wins coming over all of their division foes and probably over their other AFC foes as well.   Ergo, I view this game against KC as a must win.

7-2 would be 10-6 . That odds on would and should be enough to win the division. Don't discount that all 3 division games left are at home. To take 1 step further , 6 wins would put us at 9-7 and not really hard to see the Texans finishing 8-8. So not sure your 8-9 figure is going to prove out correct. Whatever the magic number turns out to be , a loss to Houston is a season ender.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

You see those crazy YouTube sports predictions? Lots of them are saying Vikings and Colts Superbowl with Colts winning it all. Kind of interesting but what do they say when they're wrong? How they come up with the stuff is almost insane.

I've watched a few. When you sit & actually think about it, what they're saying makes sense. Anything on TV technically is scripted. And anytime money is involved, corruption is looming in the background waiting to get involved. 

36 minutes ago, dw49 said:

7-2 would be 10-6 . That odds on would and should be enough to win the division. Don't discount that all 3 division games left are at home. To take 1 step further , 6 wins would put us at 9-7 and not really hard to see the Texans finishing 8-8. So not sure your 8-9 figure is going to prove out correct. Whatever the magic number turns out to be , a loss to Houston is a season ender.

What you say is true, but unless they win 8/9, I just won't view them as a legitimate SB contender.  Win the final 8/9, though, and I will be aboard the SuperBowl train.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Of course, why wouldn't it be?  Unless you want to miss out on the playoffs for draft position...

I agree. At this point with our record every game is a must win. Reality says that is not going to happen but that is what the mind set of the team has to be.

I for one don't follow the logic of tanking games for a better draft spot. No draft spot is guaranteeing that player is going to be great. Teams that always have a high number of wins pick later in the rounds and always seem to find player to contribute. Where you pick don't make a difference as long as the player taken can make the team better.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. At this point with our record every game is a must win. Reality says that is not going to happen but that is what the mind set of the team has to be.

I for one don't follow the logic of tanking games for a better draft spot. No draft spot is guaranteeing that player is going to be great. Teams that always have a high number of wins pick later in the rounds and always seem to find player to contribute. Where you pick don't make a difference as long as the player taken can make the team better.

Plus you can always trade up if there's a must have guy.  I mean, we're not getting into the 5 spot from any playoff drafting spot without giving up our children on top of it, but you can find good pass rushers late in the first round.  It's been done before, contrary to some of the nonsense on these boards.

If we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs at this point, I would be all for starting some of the younger guys and taking Luck out, only to give them expeirence going into next year and to preserve Luck.  Be extra cautious with other starters, etc.  But it's not my coaching job to lose, so it's just not going to ever happen unless we clean house mid-season - don't see that happening either.  Just win, baby...

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

By the way most of the forum posters act around here this is a MUST LOSE game...you know because they want their team to just shank the season for the sake of a better draft pick. I don't get that mentality at all...I mean not even in the least.

I get the sentiment, but that's what people say who don't have jobs on the line.  From that vantage point, it's video game mentality at best.

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

By the way most of the forum posters act around here this is a MUST LOSE game...you know because they want their team to just shank the season for the sake of a better draft pick. I don't get that mentality at all...I mean not even in the least.

Its not a terrible idea if you know for a fact the team couldn't make any noise in the postseason or is out of it already. If your team wants to build through the draft then the best way to improve is to get a better pick. The one big risk though is allowing the organization to lose its winning mentality.

Our problem is that our defense/Dc doesnt know how to handle a lead or put their foot onthe opponents neck when offense gives us momentum...  we get  a team in 3rd and 25 and give up 40 yds, or have a pick 6 nullified for some pure stupidity. At the same token when the defense,or special teams finally finds a way to get a T.O. offense doesn't capitalize by getting 7 it's usually either 3 or 3 and out 

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I know, I know. Pretty much all of our remaining games are must wins, we can afford to lose maybe one or two more at the most the rest of the way to potentially take the AFC south, but with the Texans playing Detroit at home, they have a decent chance of winning that game and if we lose to the Chiefs, we are 2 and a half games down again with the Packers up next AT Lambeau.

To me this is just as much a must win as the Titans game was... We cannot afford to lose to the Chiefs when we have the Packers, Steelers and Vikings  left on the schedule and we can only really afford 1 more loss after that... I hope this Colts team still feels the urgency and aren't going to take their feet off the gas after the scrappy win vs the Titans...

Btw, leave your "We should lose out for better draft picks" comments at the door... I hate that way of thinking, i want to see my team win.... If the 2006 Colts and the 2012 Giants could do it, so could we.

First, yes it is a "must" win if the Colts want to make the playoffs. Second, I wouldn't automatically assume the Texans will beat the Lions. Lions are actually playing pretty well and Texans have major question marks on offense right now.