Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Insider Report: Jeff Fisher on the hotseat

SkyBane

The problem Fisher has is this.....

The Rams paid a boat load to move up and take.....................      Jared Goff.

Now, they've hit the bye-week at 3-4 with a 3 game losing streak and with two weeks to prepare for their next opponent,  Fisher announced at the end of their loss Sunday in London that he was sticking with Case Keenum.      He made a preemptive announcement before any reporter could even ask.      So, he's pained himself into a bit of a corner.

Not only does it look like he and the GM picked the wrong guy,  but Wentz is doing really well, as is Dak Prescott,  and Goff appears to be struggling and that's putting it mildly.

All this when Fisher is up for a new deal.     And just before Fisher could sign his name,   it appears things are now on hold........

How a mediocre coach has managed to have such longevity is a mystery.

The guy has been a HC for 22 years.  In that time he has had:

- Only 6 winning seasons

- 52% winning percentage

- Only 11 play off games

- Only 5 playoff victories.

And it's not like he doesn't have time to build the team he wants, in those 22 years he has only coached two teams... the Oilers/Titans and the Rams.

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

I'll believe it when I see it. The dude seems to be impervious to getting fired. 

Exactly. I've said this in the past and took flak for it, but I'll say it again. The only reason Jeff Fischer is still coaching despite his atrocious record of mediocrity is he has connections in high places. At one point he was even the chairman for the competition committee, which he stepped down from recently with the Rams move to LA.

I don't get why owners would settle for mediocrity, but I suppose if your franchise is abysmal, mediocrity sounds awfully attractive. I just think it's his connections.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

How a mediocre coach has managed to have such longevity is a mystery.

The guy has been a HC for 22 years.  In that time he has had:

- Only 6 winning seasons

- 52% winning percentage

- Only 11 play off games

- Only 5 playoff victories.

And it's not like he doesn't have time to build the team he wants, in those 22 years he has only coached two teams... the Oilers/Titans and the Rams.

This is a very well written post CD as usual from you. Marvin Lewis in Ohio always has heat on his backside for the Bengals post season woes & yet until maybe 1 yr ago, Fisher receives little to no criticism. I don't get it. Jeff's pass I mean. Plus, Jeff lost the SB in 99 vs the then St. Louis Rams. His team the Titans didn't win the Lombardi trophy. How can 1 guy get so much mileage from losing the Big Game? Vince Young kept Jeff relevant longer than he should have been & dare I say even Steve McNair's unfortunate death circumstances too. 

RMDY is right too. Jeff knows how to rub elbows with NFL owners & play nice with league office personnel as well. 

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Fisher for Jaguars HC 2017!

A solid prediction by you BOTT. Part of me thinks San Fran would be Jeff's next NFL home since the Bay Area sucks at the QB spot too & he's already on the West Coast anyway right? 

Besides, Chip Kelly gets on my darn nerves & Fisher would look good in burgundy & gold 49ers gear with shades on. Oh, he won't return them to prominence in 4 yrs, but he'll look like a trendy secret service agent on the sidelines though like Pete Carroll at USC without the hardware man. 

If Fisher is given the boot after this yr, would our very own Jim Irsay bring him in to LOS? 

I hope not. If you're gonna do that, you might as well keep Pags next season. Jeff does have good defenses historically speaking, but I'm not sold on the man to usher in rings for our franchise at all. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Rams paid a boat load to move up and take.....................      Jared Goff.

Now, they've hit the bye-week at 3-4 with a 3 game losing streak and with two weeks to prepare for their next opponent,  Fisher announced at the end of their loss Sunday in London that he was sticking with Case Keenum.      He made a preemptive announcement before any reporter could even ask.      So, he's pained himself into a bit of a corner.

Not only does it look like he and the GM picked the wrong guy,  but Wentz is doing really well, as is Dak Prescott,  and Goff appears to be struggling and that's putting it mildly.

All this when Fisher is up for a new deal.     And just before Fisher could sign his name,   it appears things are now on hold........

All solid points NCF except for 1 thing, Stan Kroenke, the Rams owner, approved of the decision to draft Goff. 

Case Keenam is their only viable QB option right now, even Stan knows this. Hard to believe that team cannot replace HOF QB Kurt Warner yet. Well, the NY Jets are still living off Joe Namath exploits to this day. Touche.

56 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If Fisher is given the boot after this yr, would our very own Jim Irsay bring him in to LOS? 

I hope not. If you're gonna do that, you might as well keep Pags next season. Jeff does have good defenses historically speaking, but I'm not sold on the man to usher in rings for our franchise at all. 

Oh my god if Irsay hired Fisher to replace Pags, I would legit cry haha 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

All solid points NCF except for 1 thing, Stan Kroenke, the Rams owner, approved of the decision to draft Goff. 

Case Keenam is their only viable QB option right now, even Stan knows this. Hard to believe that team cannot replace HOF QB Kurt Warner yet. Well, the NY Jets are still living off Joe Namath exploits to this day. Touche.

What difference does the fact that the owner signed off?      He didn't sign off because he knew that Goff was better than Wentz.     He signed off because his GM and HC told him that Goff was the guy.     So, he said yes.   That's what a good owner is supposed to do --- trust the guys he's hired.

Honestly,  it's not clear what Kronke knows right now.

3 months ago,  he was reportedly this close to re-signing Fisher to a new contract.    

Now?    He may be considering not re-signing him.     Things can change very fast in the NFL.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:57 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I couldn't believe he still had a job but then I thought...its probably for the best..Irsay would probably hire him after letting Pagano go...so maybe he needs to just stay in LA.

Actually if the Rams let him go I almost guarantee USC would hire him.....and then he would lead them to another decade of mediocrity....oh wait...that wouldn't change a thing.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What difference does the fact that the owner signed off?      He didn't sign off because he knew that Goff was better than Wentz.     He signed off because his GM and HC told him that Goff was the guy.     So, he said yes.   That's what a good owner is supposed to do --- trust the guys he's hired.

Honestly,  it's not clear what Kronke knows right now.

3 months ago,  he was reportedly this close to re-signing Fisher to a new contract.    

Now?    He may be considering not re-signing him.     Things can change very fast in the NFL.

It makes a H-U-G-E difference NCF because if  Stan Kroenke said yes, I grant you my seal of approval to draft Goff & he flanders, under performs, or can't even get on the field then you can't dismiss the coach strictly based off of unfilled expectations or giving up a ton of draft picks. It'd be like Jim Irsay firing Ryan Grigson for the Trent Richardson trade simply because the RBs production suffered or he rode the bench for like 7 weeks. 

Once the owner says go after Goff whether he knows football or not, Stan is tied to that guy. It doesn't matter if he relied on the current GM or HC for advice or not NCF. 

I swore that dummy was going to draft Wentz.  Initially as it got closer to the draft they had reports out that they were going to select Wentz and I thought that was the smart move considering the type of QB he had in Steve Mcnair.  A big body guy that can run, big arm and smart.  Plus Wentz was more versed in pro concepts so I thought it was a no brainer.  Instead these dummies go and draft a spread QB thinking they were getting the next Aaron Rodgers and it just ain't working like that.  Maybe at some point it will, but when you have Case Keenum at QB you have to have known it wouldn't be long before you have to look at starting the young fella sooner rather than later.  Fisher doesn't have a Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers type situation going on out there. Should have went with the guy who was more ready to play.

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

I swore that dummy was going to draft Wentz.  Initially as it got closer to the draft they had reports out that they were going to select Wentz and I thought that was the smart move considering the type of QB he had in Steve Mcnair.  A big body guy that can run, big arm and smart.  Plus Wentz was more versed in pro concepts so I thought it was a no brainer.  Instead these dummies go and draft a spread QB thinking they were getting the next Aaron Rodgers and it just ain't working like that.  Maybe at some point it will, but when you have Case Keenum at QB you have to have known it wouldn't be long before you have to look at starting the young fella sooner rather than later.  Fisher doesn't have a Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers type situation going on out there. Should have went with the guy who was more ready to play.

You know, you bring up an intriguing point krunk. It's the age old question does body type & prostyle college offense make the QB or is it strictly the experience & caliber of your coaching staff that makes the biggest difference in success at the NFL level? I've always wondered which mattered most. 

It's funny because Aaron Rogers loved the 49ers growing up & I always wonder what might have happened if Mike Nolan had drafted discount double check instead of Alex Smith. 

I'm in no position to scout NFL prospects, but despite all the drills, medical reports, & interviews...Success at the NFL is still a shot in the dark minus the Peyton Manning & Andrew Luck top dollar prospects that pay dividends early & often. Okay, throw Marino, Kelly, Elway, & Montana in that bonafide star category for decades  too. 

Out of respect for NCF, I knew what he meant. Basically, that a lot of NFL owners are billionaires with no real NFL experience & that it's only natural to rely on who is already there to make the Rams a better football team. Yes, Stan can fire or retain whatever personnel he wants & I probably would dismiss Fisher after this season even though he always has Seattle's number in the division. 

I understand exactly where NCF was coming from. Fisher should have known how to dissect who the better QB was & he failed miserably. I can't argue with that point at all. I just don't give owners a pass when they cut all the big checks though. 

4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Doesn't look like too bad a place to be...

1bc27879e14d422a5df52adb10205d5e_zpsu7wk

I won't lie. I did laugh at this. I like when posters slide comic relief into serious debates. Keep it up SDS. :D

Plus, if I being honest, misplaced innuendo material always cracks me up. It always has ever since I understood multi-layered jokes. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

It makes a H-U-G-E difference NCF because if  Stan Kroenke said yes, I grant you my seal of approval to draft Goff & he flanders, under performs, or can't even get on the field then you can't dismiss the coach strictly based off of unfilled expectations or giving up a ton of draft picks. It'd be like Jim Irsay firing Ryan Grigson for the Trent Richardson trade simply because the RBs production suffered or he rode the bench for like 7 weeks. 

Once the owner says go after Goff whether he knows football or not, Stan is tied to that guy. It doesn't matter if he relied on the current GM or HC for advice or not NCF. 

He's the owner.

He can do anything he wants.     He's answerable to no one.

If he thinks the two men he put his trust in are no longer to be trusted,  then he can fire them.

He stands up in front of a camera and simply says "I no longer have faith in Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, therefore I am relieving them of their duties." 

That's not hard to do.

I'm not predicting this will happen.....   only that it's still possible for the owner to fire his HC and GM even though he supported their decisions.     Stuff happens.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's the owner.

He can do anything he wants.     He's answerable to no one.

If he thinks the two men he put his trust in are no longer to be trusted,  then he can fire them.

He stands up in front of a camera and simply says "I no longer have faith in Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, therefore I am relieving them of their duties." 

That's not hard to do.

I'm not predicting this will happen.....   only that it's still possible for the owner to fire his HC and GM even though he supported their decisions.     Stuff happens.

Well said. I agree. As the owner, the buck stops with him literally & figuratively. I'd keep Les Snead because that GM does bring in quality talent. 

Where you & I part ways slightly NCF is on the absolve the owner of all responsibility front for the Goff decision since Stan was in the draft room when the decision was made. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Out of respect for NCF, I knew what he meant. Basically, that a lot of NFL owners are billionaires with no real NFL experience & that it's only natural to rely on who is already there to make the Rams a better football team. Yes, Stan can fire or retain whatever personnel he wants & I probably would dismiss Fisher after this season even though he always has Seattle's number in the division. 

I understand exactly where NCF was coming from. Fisher should have known how to dissect who the better QB was & he failed miserably. I can't argue with that point at all. I just don't give owners a pass when they cut all the big checks though. 

And it also depends on who the Owner is.  No one is going to tell me that Irsay doesn't have a clue.  He's been doing for a long time so I'm sure he puts his input out there. I'm sure he gets out of the way when he needs to though.

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

And it also depends on who the Owner is.  No one is going to tell me that Irsay doesn't have a clue.  He's been doing for a long time so I'm sure he puts his input out there. I'm sure he gets out of the way when he needs to though.

Yes, Jimmy has been around a long time. He knows what Championship ball entails, sets reasonable benchmarks to meet for his staff, allows coordinators to coach without meddling or interfering, is receptive to opening his checkbook for free agent talent, & he's actually a cool & smart guy. 

I might tease him about his "and umm's" sometimes, but in all seriousness, I love the man's candor about his addiction woes & his drive to win another ring. It makes Jimmy human, approachable, & real. 

58 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Well said. I agree. As the owner, the buck stops with him literally & figuratively. I'd keep Les Snead because that GM does bring in quality talent. 

Where you & I part ways slightly NCF is on the absolve the owner of all responsibility front for the Goff decision since Stan was in the draft room when the decision was made. 

Don't get me wrong.....    I'm not absolving Kronke or any owner of responsibility.    But most owners are not football experts.     Guys like Irsay and Jones are far more the exceptions to the rule.       So, if they sign-off on a move,  it's at the urging of the people they hire.     That's as it should be.

Ultimately,  the owner is responsible.    If the decisions are the wrong ones,  then those decisions were made the by guys the owner hired,  so it's still comes back to him as the owner.      Bottom line:    it all starts and stops with the owner.   

Hope I explained myself better....

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Jeff Fisher is apparently keeping his job despite a 4-7 record this year and a mediocre overall record with the Rams. According to Ian Rapoport, Fisher has signed a 2-year contract extension with the Rams. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750279/article/rams-sign-jeff-fisher-to-twoyear-extension

......the owner must love him.......Lovie Smith was fired after a 10-6 year, wasnt he?

28 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

......the owner must love him.......Lovie Smith was fired after a 10-6 year, wasnt he?

Are you approving the re-signing of Fisher?

The fans wanted Smith fired. As I tell my fellow Vikes fans (and Colts fans too):  Be careful what you wish for.  The Bears have only gone down since Smith's firing. I hear that the Bears may now want to move on from John Fox. It's ridiculous.

You're a Bears supporter, if not fan. Did you want Smith fired? Do you want Fox retained? 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Jeff Fisher is apparently keeping his job despite a 4-7 record this year and a mediocre overall record with the Rams. According to Ian Rapoport, Fisher has signed a 2-year contract extension with the Rams. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750279/article/rams-sign-jeff-fisher-to-twoyear-extension

In all fairness, he wasn't lying about not going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6.  5 or 6 wins seems more realistic.

Eric Dickerson will not be watching Rams games for the foreseeable future.

Things like this make me realize spending a significant part of your adult life involved with the NFL doesn't mean you know football, and the opposite is true as well - not spending your adult life involved with the NFL doesn't mean you're completely ignorant about things.