Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Osweiler: Mr. 3.2 YPA

SkyBane

I checked footballoutsiders.com since they are more realistic- they got him 32nd.

You want a tall QB but he may be too tall.  They mentioned the other night being so tall defenders can read his eyes more.

I checked Brady to see if he even ranked since he missed 4 games. LOL he's up at no 7 already.

1 hour ago, -JJ- said:

I checked footballoutsiders.com since they are more realistic- they got him 32nd.

You want a tall QB but he may be too tall.  They mentioned the other night being so tall defenders can read his eyes more.

I checked Brady to see if he even ranked since he missed 4 games. LOL he's up at no 7 already.

You've been pretty quiet this year. Actually a lot of the people that posted a lot in previous years have not posted much this year. Congrats on your guy Brady still not showing his age.

Brock is getting hammered by the Houston media in all avenues. It is brutal. This town is so starved for a QB they may be willing to sell their souls. Right now I don't see him getting benched but the radio jocks are calling for Savage to take over. It appears Jacksonville might also be in the rut for their QB as well. I thought he would be better. Then there is the Jets with their elephant on the field.

55 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It appears Jacksonville might also be in the rut for their QB as well. I thought he would be better. 

Bortles has regressed horribly, and part of it is on him. He refused to work with his mechanics guru in the offseason believing his throwing motion was just fine, as the season has progressed, he's fallen back in to the horrific mechanics that were starting to get fixed. This image in particular has gone viral among Jaguars fans:

CvivJOtWEAAIYBn.jpg

My main issue with Brock is that he has a very long throwing motion. I'm not going to say he can't be successful because I mean Phillip Rivers has the most unconventional throwing motion I've ever seen and he can sling it. However, that said typically guys with long throwing motions such as Brocks take longer to get rid of the ball...the defense gets a quicker read of where it is going...and it is typically not as accurate because of how hard it is to change the throw during release. All these things add up when windows are so small in the NFL. Honestly I thought he would fit well in this offense just like he did in Denver because it is a verticle threat offense and he has a strong arm more than capable of getting the ball down the field. It is not based on timing and these shorter more precise routes. That is why it is so frustrating watching these type of qbs because they can make these big chunk plays and deliver beautiful balls down the field and you fall in love....however the NFL today more than ever is about throwing the ball to keep the chains moving...tempo...short accurate passes to get yards after the catch (almost an extension of the run game). This is something that is harder for this style of thrower...so you fall in love with the big arm...the big plays (and with Hopkins and Fuller and Strong good reason too)...but when teams take that away (Minnesota, Denver, NE) defenses that are elite...that means Brock has to do what he struggles with...sharp short accurate passing to move the chains. It seems to me Houston isn't built for that. The funny thing is that his YPA is so awful it makes it look like his short throwing is all he is good at but its actually the opposite. Either he will have to improve this or Houston will have to live and die by the big plays like they did the first few weeks and in the two minute drill and OT against us. Brock has potential...but I don't think he will ever be a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees. He is going to live and die with the big play imo. They need to get back to that and stretch the field..with a good run game they should be able to but like Quizboy said their OL is banged up so will he have time to do it. To early to tell but I prefer the qb that is a little more accurate and keeps that chain moving then a guy with such a big throwing motion that slings it ala Kap, Tannenhill, Oz. Still too early to tell at this point...but perhaps that also why you may not want to give 72 million as well. They rolled the dice...jury is still out.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:41 PM, dgambill said:

My main issue with Brock is that he has a very long throwing motion. I'm not going to say he can't be successful because I mean Phillip Rivers has the most unconventional throwing motion I've ever seen and he can sling it. However, that said typically guys with long throwing motions such as Brocks take longer to get rid of the ball...the defense gets a quicker read of where it is going...and it is typically not as accurate because of how hard it is to change the throw during release. All these things add up when windows are so small in the NFL. Honestly I thought he would fit well in this offense just like he did in Denver because it is a verticle threat offense and he has a strong arm more than capable of getting the ball down the field. It is not based on timing and these shorter more precise routes. That is why it is so frustrating watching these type of qbs because they can make these big chunk plays and deliver beautiful balls down the field and you fall in love....however the NFL today more than ever is about throwing the ball to keep the chains moving...tempo...short accurate passes to get yards after the catch (almost an extension of the run game). This is something that is harder for this style of thrower...so you fall in love with the big arm...the big plays (and with Hopkins and Fuller and Strong good reason too)...but when teams take that away (Minnesota, Denver, NE) defenses that are elite...that means Brock has to do what he struggles with...sharp short accurate passing to move the chains. It seems to me Houston isn't built for that. The funny thing is that his YPA is so awful it makes it look like his short throwing is all he is good at but its actually the opposite. Either he will have to improve this or Houston will have to live and die by the big plays like they did the first few weeks and in the two minute drill and OT against us. Brock has potential...but I don't think he will ever be a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees. He is going to live and die with the big play imo. They need to get back to that and stretch the field..with a good run game they should be able to but like Quizboy said their OL is banged up so will he have time to do it. To early to tell but I prefer the qb that is a little more accurate and keeps that chain moving then a guy with such a big throwing motion that slings it ala Kap, Tannenhill, Oz. Still too early to tell at this point...but perhaps that also why you may not want to give 72 million as well. They rolled the dice...jury is still out.

You "don't think" Brock Osweiler will be a like 3 of the best qb's ever to play the game?  What else do you have......you "don't think" Lamar Miller will ever be like Walter Payton, Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:56 PM, braveheartcolt said:

His ceiling is in the 'Matt Schaub' range. At best. He also plays scared and panics when under pressure. Zero composure. But he's set for life financially, so well done him.

we don't know his ceiling or his 'basement' and that's the problem,

....he hasnt played enough to know

....Brock has to show some thing Sunday against Detroit, a team without the 'D' of Minnesota, NE or Denver

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

we don't know his ceiling or his 'basement' and that's the problem,

....he hasnt played enough to know

....Brock has to show some thing Sunday against Detroit, a team without the 'D' of Minnesota, NE or Denver

I have seen enough, but have been wrong plenty times before....

. i

17 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

You "don't think" Brock Osweiler will be a like 3 of the best qb's ever to play the game?  What else do you have......you "don't think" Lamar Miller will ever be like Walter Payton, Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?

To pay a qb elite money you compare them to the elite contemporaries. To me Brock is going to be one of those qbs that drive you crazy. Big games big play qb but one that also will miss those 3rd down throws that you need to keep chains moving. Lamar miller is pretty good. Top 5 in the league in rushing and should easily top 1200 yds. Houston has a solid defense even without watt...they just haven't figured out the best way to use this offensive weapons. Honestly I think if kubiak was running Houston instead of bill obrien I think they would be a much more potent offense. The weapons with WRs RB and Brock fits that scheme better. Not sure Brock fits obrein scheme.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

To pay a qb elite money you compare them to the elite contemporaries. 

Actually, Brock is paid about average for an NFL starting QB. Now granted, he's still playing well below that, but let's not exaggerate his contract.

49 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Actually, Brock is paid about average for an NFL starting QB. Now granted, he's still playing well below that, but let's not exaggerate his contract.

Sorry I got caught up in the guaranteed money. Your right. For an unproven qb I guess I just thought if your getting Tom Brady money you can be compared to him.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:28 AM, RockThatBlue said:

I was wrong on Brock myself. I thought he would do well with Houston but hes been a train wreck. I still can't believe we lost to him.

haha yeah it shows you how truly bad this team & staff is if they can't even beat the Texans and Jags. 

More power to Houston though winning with an absolute dog crap QB lol.