Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So The Colts Actually DO Have a Defense?!?!

WarGhost21

I was beginning to think we were just picking people out of the stands to put in on the defensive side of the ball, but our defense came to play against the Titans. Yes, we gave up some bad penalties, but it was overall a great performance. After averaging 9+ missed tackles the first 6 weeks, we only gave up 3 this week. While 2 of those missed tackles were on the Titan's touchdown drive to tie the game, it was still a very promising performance. Our pass rush looked great, and Robert Mathis even got a scoop and score (the first of his career) to put the game away for good. If our defense can play like that week in and week out, and the offense continues to put large amounts of points on the board, we should start winning quite a few games. Before that, though, we seriously need to cut down on the penalties. Oh well, you can't win every little battle I guess....

contrary to what some think, they actually do have a few pieces in place along the D line and secondary. The Lb corp is what's killing them. Walden is solid so no complaints there. Now Ayers is flashing so I'm hoping he gets more playing time and keep Mathis limited to passing downs. The ILBs are a cluster though...DQ got old (though still makes a play here and there) Morrison is a rookie and is decent so far against the run but the complete opposite against the pass. McNary, on the other hand, is an abortion and shouldn't see any other playing time except on special teams. There's NO redeeming value to his play, it's only negative. Edwin Jackson should get his spots now.

I'm wondering what the linebacking draft prospects there are next year? I think that's where they'll hit in the draft.

13 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I was beginning to think we were just picking people out of the stands to put in on the defensive side of the ball, but our defense came to play against the Titans. Yes, we gave up some bad penalties, but it was overall a great performance. After averaging 9+ missed tackles the first 6 weeks, we only gave up 3 this week. While 2 of those missed tackles were on the Titan's touchdown drive to tie the game, it was still a very promising performance. Our pass rush looked great, and Robert Mathis even got a scoop and score (the first of his career) to put the game away for good. If our defense can play like that week in and week out, and the offense continues to put large amounts of points on the board, we should start winning quite a few games. Before that, though, we seriously need to cut down on the penalties. Oh well, you can't win every little battle I guess....

I appreciate the positive attitude, but I give our D no credit except for the scoring play.  TN could run and pass wide anytime it wanted all day long.  We didn't stop them, they just chose (for some unknown reason) to stop running successful plays wide.  We had no answer at all, just as we haven't in prior weeks against other teams.  Our ends can't protect the edge, and our DB's have failed adequate run support (except Vontae who balled as usual).   But by the time they are arriving, they have 7+ yards before contact usually.   But they just stopped doing it.  

23 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

By the way, Akeem Ayers...  was that a mirage? 

1) Mariota is having a bad year.  He had some accuracy and decision-making issues yesterday

2) We played Tennessee, not really the most talented team in the league

3) Our defense took several penalties that kept the Titans in the game when we should have put them away much earlier

4) I believe Tennessee had some OL issues, which contributed to our pass rush looking better than it is.

No, we still don't have a defense.

14 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I appreciate the positive attitude, but I give our D no credit except for the scoring play.  TN could run and pass wide anytime it wanted all day long.  We didn't stop them, they just chose (for some unknown reason) to stop running successful plays wide.  We had no answer at all, just as we haven't in prior weeks against other teams.  Our ends can't protect the edge, and our DB's have failed adequate run support (except Vontae who balled as usual).   But by the time they are arriving, they have 7+ yards before contact usually.   But they just stopped doing it.  

Even that was done by TY "one man wrecking crew" McGill. 

Titans kinda don`t have any speed, talent at wideout yet. And Mariotta made a few good throws here and there but looked like a real Bum on many easier throws to the sidelines. He helped our D considerably.

A healthy Henry with Jones/McGill at NT is something i hope to see.

I liked what i saw out of our secondary.
 Again, TN lacks talent at WR & Mariotta looks years away to me, but our guys looked tighter as a whole.
  #53 flashed a time or 2 and had me wondering who dat. Hope to see more of him.
 I was VERY surprised the Titans didn`t destroy us running outside. Kudos to the the players and coaching staff for shoring that up for this game.

21 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

1) Mariota is having a bad year.  He had some accuracy and decision-making issues yesterday

3) Our defense took several penalties that kept the Titans in the game when we should have put them away much earlier

4) I believe Tennessee had some OL issues, which contributed to our pass rush looking better than it is.

You mean Chucks MONSTER D:lol:

35 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

If the Colts win then the defense had an answer....geez

38 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

And still Waaaaay too many missed tackles

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Why don't we look for things to belittle our win with. Oh, look...... I bet half this board are seething that we actually won a game. Lots of crying into cereal bowls this morning I bet.

Some of us prefer to let the good things keep happening and would rather point out the bad so that it can be recognized and fixed. You know, because correcting mistakes is kind of how you improve at anything in life? 

Ill routinely give credit where credit is due but I'm not one to hold back criticism on a player or coach who is actively holding us back. In the end we all want this team to get better. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Some of us prefer to let the good things keep happening and would rather point out the bad so that it can be recognized and fixed. You know, because correcting mistakes is kind of how you improve at anything in life? 

Ill routinely give credit where credit is due but I'm not one to hold back criticism on a player or coach who is actively holding us back. In the end we all want this team to get better. 

You do know that NOTHING you say on here will make any difference to the team. And the constant whinging about the same thing day after day, week after week is getting such a drag. We are not blind to our flaws, and there are plenty, but really? Even when we win, people are looking for the bad stuff, or reasons to belittle the victory. It is pathetic actually. 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:
  • Mularkey: Big plays undone by RB drops vs. Colts, who are a good tackling team. #Titans

— Paul Kuharsky (@PaulKuharskyNFL) Oct 24, 2016

Oh LAWD the spin Mularkey is trying to pull. The Colts tackling has been LEGENDARILY bad this year, and they missed a few in this game too. This Colts defense has only proved it's ineptitude through 7 weeks, to hear an opposing coach say that is mind blowing.

4 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

If the Colts win then the defense had an answer....geez

The Colts didn't call the terrible TN plays.  The Colts didn't make the heinously bad passes to wide open TN receivers , the Colts didn't stop TN when they ran or threw wide.  TN did all that.  We were the beneficiaries of it.  It's no different than when Pagano makes bad call after bad call.  Using your logic, If you give all credit to the winning team, then you should never be mad at Pagano or anyone with the Colts when we lose, it was obviously the great work of the other team's defense.  

Sorry, that is not how it works.  Other teams make mistakes that benefit us just like we make mistakes that benefit them.  Pagano calling that time out late at Detroit is the reason there was still 47 seconds left for them to score.  We gave them that opportunity, just like TN gave us the ability to stop them by not running plays we couldn't stop all game when it counted.  

43 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The Colts didn't call the terrible TN plays.  The Colts didn't make the heinously bad passes to wide open TN receivers , the Colts didn't stop TN when they ran or threw wide.  TN did all that.  We were the beneficiaries of it.  It's no different than when Pagano makes bad call after bad call.  Using your logic, If you give all credit to the winning team, then you should never be mad at Pagano or anyone with the Colts when we lose, it was obviously the great work of the other team's defense.  

Sorry, that is not how it works.  Other teams make mistakes that benefit us just like we make mistakes that benefit them.  Pagano calling that time out late at Detroit is the reason there was still 47 seconds left for them to score.  We gave them that opportunity, just like TN gave us the ability to stop them by not running plays we couldn't stop all game when it counted.  

But please don't give credit to Pagano for having the guts to call for an onside kick and caught the Texans by surprise. He took a chance knowing if it didn't work he would face even more scrutiny. (not that he or anyone else on the Colts care about anyway)

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

You do know that NOTHING you say on here will make any difference to the team. And the constant whinging about the same thing day after day, week after week is getting such a drag. We are not blind to our flaws, and there are plenty, but really? Even when we win, people are looking for the bad stuff, or reasons to belittle the victory. It is pathetic actually. 

Of course, man. Same goes to everyone just heaping praises and pointing out the good things. 

Idk I just like analyzing our games and pointing out ways to fix it or things to do different. I'm the say way about my soccer. Doesn't make me some kind of bad fan or H8r

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But please don't give credit to Pagano for having the guts to call for an onside kick and caught the Texans by surprise. He took a chance knowing if it didn't work he would face even more scrutiny. (not that he or anyone else on the Colts care about anyway)

His time out late in the first half resulted in TN scoring a TD and was just dumb.  The onside kick, even after being converted only resulted in 3 points and I think it was a bad decision and we got lucky the TN guy couldn't catch.  They don't even out. A broken clock is right twice a day.