Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone hate prevent D as much as I do?

Trace Pyott

Let me the first to say that I'm glad we won Sunday. This post has nothing to do with Sunday's win, it's just something I've been noticing around the league. Is it just me or does it seem that if a team gets the ball with around 2 min before halftime they seem to score at least a fg probably 70% of the time. I would love to see the avg a team scores per possession during regular time compared to the time I mentioned. It just drives me nuts to watch. We are trying to stop the team from scoring and make them run the clock down but to me, someone throwing 4 short passes to the middle of the field and gaining 60 yards and kicking a fg is just as bad as allowing two 30 yard passes for the same 60 yards and fg. It especially drives me nuts on the rare occasion our defense has played pretty well and we end up going prevent and allowing un needed points. I would rather us do what we have been doing if it's been working then do something else because old school minds say that's what you gotta do. This is really far fetched and I'm exaggerating but during the times we run prevent I would almost much rather start subbing linebackers for db and freaking double teaming receivers and te and making it nearly impossible to catch anything. If they decide to run then tackle them and at worst it's a small gain just exactly what you would give

Up anyways playing prevent. I really think we would of won at least 2 more games already this year had we been less conservative and played less prevent and keeping our dbs 10 yards off the receivers. The nfl is just too tough to be giving teams free points before each half like it seems we almost always do. What do you guys think? Are you as annoyed by this as I am?

24 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Let me the first to say that I'm glad we won Sunday. This post has nothing to do with Sunday's win, it's just something I've been noticing around the league. Is it just me or does it seem that if a team gets the ball with around 2 min before halftime they seem to score at least a fg probably 70% of the time. I would love to see the avg a team scores per possession during regular time compared to the time I mentioned. It just drives me nuts to watch. We are trying to stop the team from scoring and make them run the clock down but to me, someone throwing 4 short passes to the middle of the field and gaining 60 yards and kicking a fg is just as bad as allowing two 30 yard passes for the same 60 yards and fg. It especially drives me nuts on the rare occasion our defense has played pretty well and we end up going prevent and allowing un needed points. I would rather us do what we have been doing if it's been working then do something else because old school minds say that's what you gotta do. This is really far fetched and I'm exaggerating but during the times we run prevent I would almost much rather start subbing linebackers for db and freaking double teaming receivers and te and making it nearly impossible to catch anything. If they decide to run then tackle them and at worst it's a small gain just exactly what you would give

Up anyways playing prevent. I really think we would of won at least 2 more games already this year had we been less conservative and played less prevent and keeping our dbs 10 yards off the receivers. The nfl is just too tough to be giving teams free points before each half like it seems we almost always do. What do you guys think? Are you as annoyed by this as I am?

I concur

I hate it as well.

I believe in obvious hail Mary situations especially when you know they have to throw it 50+ yards to win. Send out 5 defensive linemen. Rush those 5 and put everyone else back.

If 5 defensive linemen can't get pressure before the opposing WR's get 50 yards down the field, you have a problem 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I thought when we ran prevent against the Texans with 7 mins left in the 4th, it was a poor decision.  You can't really argue with the decision from a win probability perspective.  When they went prevent, the Texans had a 0.2% win probability.  I just don't like going prevent that early in a game with only a 2 TD differential.  But we can second guess that decision all day.  It's a difference of preference - some coaches do, others don't - and either camp has has been burned by their decisions enough times to support going either way at that point in time during the game.

With 2 minutes left in that game, prevent was the right call, we just missed tackles and never gave the redzone defense a chance to enter onto the field because they scored from 26 yards out, which is exactly what prevent is supposed to stop.  That's on the players.

Sunday though, it was certainly the right call.  2 minutes left with a less than 1% win probability and your opponent needs either (a) a 7 point TD, onside kick recover and another TD, or (b) FG, onside kick recover, and a TD plus 2 point conversion?  Yeah, prevent all day.  As much as I hate getting burned for short gains (assuming it works as intended), the point is to kill the clock and bend but not break, which is exactly what happened.  

1 hour ago, will426 said:

I think with this defense we have prevent should never be the case..we haven't stopped anyone with it so we shouldn't use it in my opinion.

exactly. it never works (for the colts, at least). defense is soft as it is, going into "prevent defense" has only produced easier touchdowns for opposing team's offense.

Prevent defense rarely ever works. The goal is to not give up the big play. The thinking is that if the offense has to run a lot of plays they'll run out of time. Problem is teams have gotten so good at 2 minute offense( and the rules have been changed to help them) that going 80 yards in less than a minute isn't a shockingly rare thing.

I've always preferred to have an aggressive press coverage defense rushing 5 defenders 75% of the time.  Force the QB to make quick decisions and he'll more likely throw an INT or get sacked and fumble.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Prevent defense rarely ever works. The goal is to not give up the big play. The thinking is that if the offense has to run a lot of plays they'll run out of time. Problem is teams have gotten so good at 2 minute offense( and the rules have been changed to help them) that going 80 yards in less than a minute isn't a shockingly rare thing.

I've always preferred to have an aggressive press coverage defense rushing 5 defenders 75% of the time.  Force the QB to make quick decisions and he'll more likely throw an INT or get sacked and fumble.

Or hell simply waste the damn time like we all hope for lol I vote you for our DC next yr you have the right mindset 

If your defense is bad, it doesn't matter if you die by the one slash beheading , or by a thousand cuts.  Result is the same.  The latter is supposed to make it harder, and it done right and time is short enough, does work.

Brian Billick talks about it, and NFL films has it as their #1 Myth-

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d826250dc/Top-10-Football-Myths-Prevent-prevents-wins