Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Grades and Position Ranks

bigt

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Newsome, but he was a 5th rounder. That's not saying much.

Insomnia got the better of me, he completely slipped my mind lol.

Still, as you say, a 5th rounder that got cut, and a 1st rounder that is by all accounts a complete bust, doesn't exactly constitute a great deal of effort in injecting youthful linebacking talent.

2 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Insomnia got the better of me, he completely slipped my mind lol.

Still, as you say, a 5th rounder that got cut, and a 1st rounder that is by all accounts a complete bust, doesn't exactly constitute a great deal of effort in injecting youthful linebacking talent.

Don't forget we traded Jerry Hughes for a linebacker that wasn't even on the team the next year.... There was our edge rusher right there. And Newsome regressed so bad after his rookie year. Don't know if he started getting drunk or high or what but his game fell way off...

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Don't forget we traded Jerry Hughes for a linebacker that wasn't even on the team the next year.... There was our edge rusher right there. And Newsome regressed so bad after his rookie year. Don't know if he started getting drunk or high or what but his game fell way off...

Jerry Hughes spent 3 years with the Colts, actually. He was also a Polian pick, not a Grigson one, so he isn't part of the Grigson era drafting scheme.

7 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Jerry Hughes spent 3 years with the Colts, actually. He was also a Polian pick, not a Grigson one, so he isn't part of the Grigson era drafting scheme.

True. Did Grigson or Polian trade him?  I can't remember. I know what we got back in return wasn't worth it. I think it was Kelvin Sheppard or something like that.  And I totally agree we haven't used an early draft pick on an edge rusher besides Werner. And that pick was so dreadful, you could have fired Grigson on the spot.  Just checked. He played 1 year with Luck. So Grigson traded him. For a bag of cheerios...

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Love Haeg, I mocked him in a couple practice mocks on this site late and was happy to get him. He's ranked a top 40 rookie this year (think 38th), on Bleacher Report's rookie report after week 6, not sure after the Titans game, have to wait for them to update it. So he's playing like an early 2nd rounder. If he can become a starter, then that's huge. RT is a huge hole, so it'd be great if he filled it decently. I don't expect him to be elite there, but if he's serviceable, then it's a nice improvement over what we had.

Joe's my favorite. But he definitely was involved in one sack. The big tackle flew right past him, and he landed on his butt. He also missed at least one run block- whiffed completely.  But he's a rookie, and never played guard in college.  He seems much better here at guard than RT tho.  And last week, it looked like when the Colts ran, they ran behind Good and Haeg.  Go Joe, go!

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hey smoke, who gave up the 1 sack today?

Dunno if someone answered already but Haeg gave up the sack.  He actually allowed quite a bit of pressure today.  Think he may be better suited at RT.  Tough assignment  for Haeg though (i.e., a rookie being asked to start at multiple positions on the OL).

Just now, zibby43 said:

Dunno if someone answered already but Haeg gave up the sack.  He actually allowed quite a bit of pressure today.  Think he may be better suited at RT.  Tough assignment  for Haeg though (i.e., a rookie being asked to start at multiple positions on the OL).

Thanks Zibby, there were actually two sacks given up. I was told Haeg gave up a sack. Definitely appreciate it!

Just now, zibby43 said:

No problem man; my pleasure.  :thmup:  Glad to know I'm not the only one up this early.

More like up all night lol. I just get up and go to bed at random times. When you make a large portion of your earnings from poker and fantasy sports, you can do that, lol.

3 hours ago, bigt said:

I was most impressed with the fact that Edwin Jackson and Akeem Ayers are the highest rated linebackers.  None of the other linebackers are even close.  I hope they continue to improve. Even if they plateau and stay where they are, they will still make solid backups.

Are the grades you're referring to from the game itself? I subscribe to the 'PFF Player Grades Tool', but I have never been able to figure out how to get all grades for each player from each game. I'm able to get the 'top 5' etc, but haven't figured out how to get all. Could you help me out?

3 minutes ago, Mjølner said:

Are the grades you're referring to from the game itself? I subscribe to the 'PFF Player Grades Tool', but I have never been able to figure out how to get all grades for each player from each game. I'm able to get the 'top 5' etc, but haven't figured out how to get all. Could you help me out?

I don't think that's offered unless you want to pay 250$ which is just laughable. I have the same thing and only get the overall grades from a 1-100 scale and snap counts for each game

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hey smoke, who gave up the 1 sack today?

I thought we gave up more than 1 sack?

I think Reitz got burned by Orakpo....   

Not sure about the other,  but I thought there was another Tennessee celebration over another sack?

Yes?      No?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I thought we gave up more than 1 sack?

I think Reitz got burned by Orakpo....   

Not sure about the other,  but I thought there was another Tennessee celebration over another sack?

Yes?      No?

Yes, there were 2, 1.5 by morgan and 0.5 by Klug. I think I said that eventually in the comments. Didn't know Reitz got burned by Orakpo, Haeg apparently gave up the other one.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, there were 2, 1.5 by morgan and 0.5 by Klug. I think I said that eventually in the comments. Didn't know Reitz got burned by Orakpo, Haeg apparently gave up the other one.

I probably got Orakpo mixed up with Morgan......

I'll double check.

Yup.....   that's what I did....     confused the two.      Sometimes hard to tell when you're watching at a sports bar and there's no audio for your game.     Between the lack of sound and all the distractions going on around you,  it's easy to miss a detail or two.....    (or three!)        :peek: 

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

I don't think that's offered unless you want to pay 250$ which is just laughable. I have the same thing and only get the overall grades from a 1-100 scale and snap counts for each game

That's a shame. Thank you for the clarification tho

13 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Yeah, the pass rush situation is beyond dismal at this point. Even taking one of our presumed extra 4th rounders and trying to package a deal to trade up a bit if necessary for OLB talent seems like a decent idea right now.

Mathis should retire after this year, and one way or another, Cole will no longer be on the squad either presumably. That really just leaves Akeem Ayers as the rush, and an aging Walden as the Sam. This doesn't even begin to look at the hot mess that is the inside backers.

It's a tire fire really lol.

I think the best course of action if we have a high draft pick would be to trade down and get more picks in the first four rounds. Say we get up to six picks (I believe we stand at five in the first four rounds currently) we will be able to get a good amount of talent at the linebacker positions. At least three maybe four. Two rushers and at least one top ilb such as Cunningham. That would also allow us to get a running back in the third and maybe a cb if one is good enough to be taken (let's not get a cb in the third tho. That's cursed lol).

15 hours ago, SkyBane said:

It wasn't when I clicked the link a bit ago. Luckily, I still have the tab open!

-Luck given player of the game. Graded as near perfect

Top 5 offensive Grades:

QB Andrew Luck, 85.8

TE Jack Doyle, 78.8

WR T.Y. Hilton, 77.5

C Ryan Kelly, 76.5

RB Frank Gore, 73.8

Top 5 defensive Grades:

CB Darius Butler, 83.9

CB Patrick Robinson, 83.0 

NT T.Y McGill, 78.4

CB Vontae Davis, 78.2

OLB Eric Walden, 75.4

Other notes: Pass Pro was knocked as a continued weakness, with PFF grading Luck on being pressured on over half of his drop backs. The corners were listed as having a standout day, even though the pass rush was dreadful (only 10 pressures on 40 dropbacks for Mariotta)

Speaking of, Mariotta was graded dismally, having low accuracy, with over a 60 point drop in his QB rating on the 7 pressures he wasn't sacked. The Titan's pass rush performed admirably, but wasn't up to the task of masking a bad performance by their coverage squad, particularly LB's Sean Spence and Avery Williamson, who got torched, giving up 9 for 9 resulting in 88 yards and a touchdown.

That's the gist of it. I think.

Mariota looked surprisingly bad.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I probably got Orakpo mixed up with Morgan......

I'll double check.

Yup.....   that's what I did....     confused the two.      Sometimes hard to tell when you're watching at a sports bar and there's no audio for your game.     Between the lack of sound and all the distractions going on around you,  it's easy to miss a detail or two.....    (or three!)        :peek: 

Here's a favor for you my friend, download the App 'Tunity' you will scan the TV with your phone and it will pipe the broadcast through your phone!  Bring a headset of course or everyone around you will hate you for it but it's an awesome app for us out of towners!

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Sometimes I'm left scratching my head at the PFF grades...  I thought our lined performed admirably vs a top 10 defense on the road. Yeah Luck took 2 sacks and had 5 QB hits but that's not that bad. The two sacks came when we went looking for more deeper shots down the field. Also we couldn't run the ball as well as other games but more often than not we got the yards needed when we needed to get them. But again this was a top 10 defense in their house. Now maybe the quick passing attack covered up some flaws in our protection but that's what it was supposed to do. Overall I thought our entire line played very well. I do agree about Butler. Vontae as well. The tackling was solid from both. The way they were cutting Murray's legs out from under him reminded me of Colonel Bob Sanders. A couple hits like that and any running back will start to dance in fear of that heat seeking missile blasting through your knees.... lol. 

Season to date Luck is the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league this year all while having his best season in the NFL.  One game snapshots don't tell us that much, season long would be interesting.  

17 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Season to date Luck is the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league this year all while having his best season in the NFL.  One game snapshots don't tell us that much, season long would be interesting.  

I mean, even in the Titans game he was pressured on 40% of his drop backs. That's not precisely "good"

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

There's no denying he's been hit and sacked a lot this season. But the Titans game I thought our Oline played well. 

18 hours ago, bigt said:

I was most impressed with the fact that Edwin Jackson and Akeem Ayers are the highest rated linebackers.  None of the other linebackers are even close.  I hope they continue to improve. Even if they plateau and stay where they are, they will still make solid backups.

Why does it matter?

it is pff.  Their rankings are meaningless 

3 hours ago, SkyBane said:

I mean, even in the Titans game he was pressured on 40% of his drop backs. That's not precisely "good"

But you have to remember Sky, we were playing a top 10 defense that runs * Lebeau scheme...  One of the top blitzing teams in the league. So of course they're gonna bring pressure. But that pressure never derailed our offense. They only got home twice.  Luck had one of the better games of his career. Taking all of that into consideration, I think they played good. 

18 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Exactly 2 ain't bad at all. I think Good played well. Honestly I think they all played well. Think I saw Good limp off the field late. Don't know if he came back. With Mewhort coming back what do we do next week?  Keep Reitz starting or put Haeg back over there?  Won't get any easier with Justin Houston and Tamba Hali coming to town. They might want to stick with the experience of Reitz.... Tough call. 

How do you not know if he came back?  Did you stop watching?  

Just now, dudeski said:

How do you not know if he came back?  Did you stop watching?  

I was at the game. After we got the touchdown to Doyle, and then the TYMcG/Mathis strip sack/scoop and score I headed for the exits. Had to get on the road and get back to Indy.  Plus I was too focused on the play to Doyle to notice. Nerves were on edge. Lol. 

Good to see Robinson come in with a good grade.  Granted, he didn't have a real tough assignment as Tennessee's WR's don't exactly strike fear into your heart, but still they are pros and it was a step forward.  Perhaps some of his struggles early on were injury related?  We can only hope.

21 hours ago, 19colt said:

I just noticed that PFF grades are up for the MNF game already. I certainly wouldn't pay a cent for those. As a former coach, it would take me 6-8 hours to grade out a game for the OL/TE/RB only. 

Not sure how many staffers grade each game, but I bet it's more than a couple. Still, I never had a lot of respect for their grades, although it's cool to have a service that publishes grades for every player in every game. It's at least a frame of reference, and they adjust after the All 22 comes out, sometimes drastically, so I think they're at least genuine, even if they might be off sometimes.

Where the real value was was their charting, and they don't offer that to the public anymore, so they're dead to me.