Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Grigson Trade?

lennymoore24

So you are Ryan Grigson and you know this could possibly be your last year if the team doesn't complete turn it around.  The obvious weakness on the defense is at linebacker.  McNary is terrible and Mathis can't rush the QB anymore.  So there is little hope that will get better as the season goes on.  If a team wants to dump a pass rusher for a 3 or 4, do you make that trade?  I know he likes to keep picks and I think college scouting is what he is better at.   When I look at the Colts defense I see potential in the line and secondary.  But linebacker, other than Morrison down the line, has very little to offer.  The Colts should get some comp picks so maybe they can pick up a pass rusher.  Would you make that trade if you were Grigson?

I don't know how much a new player could help, especially in the middle of the season. Even if they were a star (which would kinda sorta be a little hard to acquire), they would need to learn a brand new Defense with minimal practice with his new teammates.

Might end up being a good player, but maybe not right away.

18 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

So you are Ryan Grigson and you know this could possibly be your last year if the team doesn't complete turn it around.  The obvious weakness on the defense is at linebacker.  McNary is terrible and Mathis can't rush the QB anymore.  So there is little hope that will get better as the season goes on.  If a team wants to dump a pass rusher for a 3 or 4, do you make that trade?  I know he likes to keep picks and I think college scouting is what he is better at.   When I look at the Colts defense I see potential in the line and secondary.  But linebacker, other than Morrison down the line, has very little to offer.  The Colts should get some comp picks so maybe they can pick up a pass rusher.  Would you make that trade if you were Grigson?

No.

And I doubt Grigson gets the offer, or makes the deal if he does.

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

giphy_zpsznq6s4ns.gif

there isnt much on next years free agency list to have the type of impact we need and draft wouldnt produce until around the 4th year.

I believe the DL is first.  No rush just makes the other positions further back a struggle.

Possible Free Agency Targets: (Not considering the system they prefer to play or their cost.)

DT's:Nick Fairley, Johnathan Hankins

DE's:Jabaal Sheard, Mario Addison, Devin Taylor, Jason Pierre-Paul could be had for cheap since he blew off his fingers.

Other than that we would need to trade and we really dont have much of value to do it nor with our potential draft position.

Chandler Jones is a potential FA next year.  The Patriots traded him to the Cardinals because they couldn't afford his next contract.  The Cardinals might have a problem signing him as well.  I don't know their cap space or their other in house player issues.  Might be something o keep an eye on.  Also Jaimie Collins of the Patriots might be another player they might not be able to sign.  He would make a difference. 

38 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Today I'd trade Dwayne Allen & Phillip Dorsett for a bag of trail mix and a 2nd round draft pick.

Considering Chester Rodgers is almost outplaying Dorsett, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Send them both to the 49ers for a 2nd and 5th.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Considering Chester Rodgers is almost outplaying Dorsett, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Send them both to the 49ers for a 2nd and 5th.

Finding an undrafted guy who performs just as well as a first rounder makes Grigs look worse in my eyes.

2 hours ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

there isnt much on next years free agency list to have the type of impact we need and draft wouldnt produce until around the 4th year.

I believe the DL is first.  No rush just makes the other positions further back a struggle.

Possible Free Agency Targets: (Not considering the system they prefer to play or their cost.)

DT's:Nick Fairley, Johnathan Hankins

DE's:Jabaal Sheard, Mario Addison, Devin Taylor, Jason Pierre-Paul could be had for cheap since he blew off his fingers.

Other than that we would need to trade and we really dont have much of value to do it nor with our potential draft position.

Shread yeah, but why would we sign one of those guys when we could sign Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry? Those 3 guys are double digit sack stud EDGE rushers. With 60 million in cap space give me one of those 3 plus maybe a guy like Sheard, or maybe a vet like Ware as a situational guy. We need to load up on EDGE rushers in the offseason. Let everybody except maybe Walden go and sign 2 guys in free agency then draft 2-3, and at least 1 early in the draft. Perfect scenario = signing Chandler Jones and Demarcus Ware in free agency, and drafting Myles Garrett and another guy in the 3rd or 4th.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Shread yeah, but why would we sign one of those guys when we could sign Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry? Those 3 guys are double digit sack stud EDGE rushers. With 60 million in cap space give me one of those 3 plus maybe a guy like Sheard, or maybe a vet like Ware as a situational guy. We need to load up on EDGE rushers in the offseason. Let everybody except maybe Walden go and sign 2 guys in free agency then draft 2-3, and at least 1 early in the draft. Perfect scenario = signing Chandler Jones and Demarcus Ware in free agency, and drafting Myles Garrett and another guy in the 3rd or 4th.

We won't be picking high enough to get Garret, but for free agency I would definitely get Jones idk about ware now. Hell let's just get Ingram and Jones both! Wow would be be good 

4 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

My point is Morrison is the only linebacker they have, in my opinion, that has any upside.  He plays the run pretty good but is terrible on coverage.  

I disagree. I saw more out of Edwin Jackson today in limited reps than I've seen out of Morrison all year. 

9 hours ago, IinD said:

Finding an undrafted guy who performs just as well as a first rounder makes Grigs look worse in my eyes.

And Jack Doyle who was also an UDFA, is outplaying Allen. That's not to say that Allen wasn't a good player in 2012 but he doesn't deserve that contract.

I my opinion, our best trade bait is Dorsett. I like Dorsett, but he is a luxury on this team - there is talent above and below him on the depth chart. He was a first rounder, has flashed, but isn't very productive, mostly because of the talent above him and below him. So trade him. Trade him now. While he is still a commodity.

Joe Staley is available from the 49ers. That would be amazing to have him, and move Costanzo to RT. 49ers want a 1st round, but I'd be willing to let a 2nd round and a 6th go for him, or trade Dorsett, and 6th and throw in McNary if they'd take him. <- which no other team in the NFL would. 

10 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Joe Staley is available from the 49ers. That would be amazing to have him, and move Costanzo to RT. 49ers want a 1st round, but I'd be willing to let a 2nd round and a 6th go for him, or trade Dorsett, and 6th and throw in McNary if they'd take him. <- which no other team in the NFL would. 

I'm not giving a 2nd for a 32 yr old tackle.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Pretty sure he'll want Olivier Vernon money -- $17m/year. 

Sounds like he could be which is a good thing.  Long way to March.  He will get a lot of money.  Just read where Cardinals have already talked to his agent about a new contract.  We will see. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Sounds like he could be which is a good thing.  Long way to March.  He will get a lot of money.  Just read where Cardinals have already talked to his agent about a new contract.  We will see. 

It's not a good thing if you're thinking about giving him a huge contract. The only positive is that, if he gets suspended, his guarantees are voided, but that's not the most optimistic way to look at it.

I also don't think he's an elite pass rusher. Definitely good, way better than anyone we have, but second tier at best. I'm not that eager to spend huge money on a second tier player.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:15 PM, COLTS449 said:

Honestly looking at this D roster for a 3-4 scheme we are in serious trouble now and in the future.  Seeing it all laid out, it is obvious why we are where we are.  Mostly unproven draftees, rookies, past primers and journeymen.  To have an effective 3-4 we have to have a few terrific LB's.  We have none.  

DL: 3rd yr unproven NT, DT's consist of a rookie, 2 - 2nd year guys and Art Jones.

ILBs consist of a rookie, a 2nd year guy and D'qwell which is in his 11th year way past his prime. 

OLBs: Robert Mathis playing out of his natural 4-3 scheme and past prime, 3 - 4 to 6 year guys with no stand out stats on INTs or sacks and horrible tacklers. and Walden as 3 sack/yr average player with 1 INT in his career.

Why in the world would we want to attempt a 3-4 defense with this base?  Realistically we are 4 years out before we have any chance at it paying off.  We cant draft our way into it with Luck's window and Grigs is not going to go big agent shopping in the near future. 

Time to go back to 4-3 and try to salvage our current roster and make some tweeks next year. Even the Patriots moved away from it in 2011.  Our personnel just doesn't support this.  We basically would have to blow it all up to make it work.

So my thoughts on these guys above were to add players that could transition to 4-3 over next 2 years, get at a value in their early prime.

1) Most of these guys are ending their rookie contract and would be values even at around 8 to 12mil

2) They are young and proven potential  

3) Have great chance to be double sack guys next year and on.

4) leaves us money to spend at other much needed areas. DB, LB, depth in general

5) They can tackle. 

M. Addison: DE - Averaging 6 sacks/yr non starter last 2 years.  Carolina found a way to get him rolling.  Proven backup on value.  

Devin Taylor: DE - Averaging 7 sacks per year last 2 years and now entering his 4th year.  He is on track for a double sack guy.  This is his first year starting and 3.5 sacks as of today. 

Calais Campbell DE - (Forgot to add) 8 sack a year guy now in his prime.  He is a 3-4 kind of guy at 300lbs which is at the low weight, could see him drop some lbs and make the transition.

Jabaal Sheard DE - Sack average good, a FF machine.  Product of NE

Just my unprofessional fan opinion and I am bored tonight

I think it would really depend on who.  Don't want a guy that is too expensive or too old.  Don't want a guy that is coming off a contract year.  Don't want a guy that fits better in a 4-3.  That limits a lot of players the Colts would want.  BUT, if there was a player that fit the criteria, then certainly you would have to investigate it, especially if the guy has proven he can play.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

So, your point being what exactly? 

Is Chandler Jones Greg Hardy or Josh Brown? No. He's a premier pass rusher that did something foolish yes, but if he became available & he started sacking QBs regularly in the AFC South for INDY I wouldn't be complaining. 

There's a huge difference between 1 mistake & plethora of criminal problems Superman. Besides, even without this incident, who's to say BB doesn't trade him away a yr or 2 early anyway. It's his MO. His departure from NE is not an NFL Scarlett Letter to me at all.

The man is a beast on a football field. Did you watch him play vs the Seahawks last night? Cris Collinsworth even commented that the torque & angle Jones's body generated on that RW chop block dislodging the ball was very Dwight Freeney-esque.  

9 hours ago, Superman said:

And because he's a bit of a knucklehead... 

Ever since former TE Aaron Hernandez was arrested for murder, BB & Robert Kraft seem to have lost their will for redemption projects on their squad IMO. 

There's a number of "knuckleheads" in the league. Talent masks a lot of sins or off the field headaches. 

There's an old saying in politics which applies here: "If sex were a disease, most senators would be dead." 

Translation: If you expect every body in your locker room to be choir boys, it won't guarantee SB rings for your franchise because we all need a few rough riders to get the job done & we can't all be saints anyway right? haha

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Ever since former TE Aaron Hernandez was arrested for murder, BB & Robert Kraft seem to have lost their will for redemption projects on their squad IMO. 

There's a number of "knuckleheads" in the league. Talent masks a lot of sins or off the field headaches. 

There's an old saying in politics which applies here: "If sex were a disease, most senators would be dead." 

Translation: If you expect every body in your locker room to be choir boys, it won't guarantee SB rings for your franchise because we all need a few rough riders to get the job done & we can't all be saints anyway right? haha

Yep.  We aint payin ticket prices or sittin on the couch on Sundy's to watch a bunch a choir boys lose.  If they got a little mean in'em, then so be it so long as they winnin', which is exactly the reason I wanted'em to sign Incognito.  Imagine that sum gun on our OL!