Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why was Dwayne Allen a priority to re-sign?

YourNextGM

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No one here knew Doyle would end up playing his well

He was a pretty good receiving TE at WKU. I never thought he would play like this, but I knew he could based off how he played in college. I'm just glad hes getting the opportunity to showcase it.

34 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

He was a pretty good receiving TE at WKU. I never thought he would play like this, but I knew he could based off how he played in college. I'm just glad hes getting the opportunity to showcase it.

I think he just needed the chance. He has better hands than Allen and don't have the drops. His only negative is he is not a good blocker. With more playing time hopefully that will improve. Glad to have him on the roster for sure. He is much needed right now with 2 starting WRs and Allen injured. He has more than carried his weight no doubt.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  the irony.......

First,  Grigson isn't alone in the evaluation.    The coaches have input.     Even Colts beat writer Kevin Bowen says Chud had input between Allen and Fleener.

But wait,  it gets better!

You blast Grigson for being "horrible at evaluating talent"......    Perfect,  because the guy who is starting came out of almost no where.      His name is Jack Doyle.      And who in the world do you think found Jack Doyle?!?

Grigson and his team of scouts.      You know,  the guys you think have no talent.

It doesn't get much more ironic than that!

Even a blind dog finds a bone every now and again.... Is that a hard concept to understand?

12 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Even a blind dog finds a bone every now and again.... Is that a hard concept to understand?

Ok.  TY Hilton.  Donte Moncrief.  Henry Anderson.  Akeem Ayers.  Jerrell Freeman.  Kendall Langford.  Jack Mewhort.  Denzelle Good.  Joe Haeg.  Erik Swoope.  Chester Rogers.  Vontae Davis.  TY McGill.  That's just off the top of my head.  Seems our blind dog has found quite a few bones.

You're not as smart as you think you are.  Is that a hard concept to understand?  Actually by definition, it probably is.  Carry on.

12 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Ok.  TY Hilton.  Donte Moncrief.  Henry Anderson.  Akeem Ayers.  Jerrell Freeman.  Kendall Langford.  Jack Mewhort.  Denzelle Good.  Joe Haeg.  Erik Swoope.  Chester Rogers.  Vontae Davis.  TY McGill.  That's just off the top of my head.  Seems our blind dog has found quite a few bones.

You're not as smart as you think you are.  Is that a hard concept to understand?  Actually by definition, it probably is.  Carry on.

Akeem Ayers? Really? Also Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg, Swoope, Rogers are nothing to write home about... yet.

Do I need to list the failures (as of right now)?

Trent Richardson, Dwayne Allen, Josh Chapman, Vick Ballard, LaVon Brazill, all 7 picks in the 2013 draft class, Jonathan Newsome, Andrew Jackson, Philip Dorsett, Djoun Smith, David Parry, Josh Robinson, Amarlo Hererra, Winston Justice, Stanley Havili, Samson Satele, Donald Thomas, Aubrayo Franklin, Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus, Ricky Jean Francois, Art Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Andre Johnson, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, and I'm sure I'm missing some more.

I'm smarter than you. That's all that really matters isn't it ;)

1 minute ago, krunk said:

You've joined the extreme train too I see!  Look at the failures, Look at the failures.  I wish you pointed to the wins as much you do the losses.  My bad you don't know how to do that!

I know how to do it, but why? It's pretty obvious Grigson doesn't need my help to be widely considered a failure. The only place I see any support for him are a handful of people here and Jim Irsay.

4 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Akeem Ayers? Really? Also Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg, Swoope, Rogers are nothing to write home about... yet.

Trent Richardson, Dwayne Allen, Josh Chapman, Vick Ballard, LaVon Brazill, all 7 picks in the 2013 draft class, Jonathan Newsome, Andrew Jackson, Philip Dorsett, Djoun Smith, David Parry, Josh Robinson, Amarlo Hererra, Winston Justice, Stanley Havili, Samson Satele, Donald Thomas, Aubrayo Franklin, Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus, Ricky Jean Francois, Art Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Andre Johnson, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, and I'm sure I'm missing some more.

What exactly are young 1st and 2nd year players supposed to look like?  Especially undrafted and low round guys.  Should they should look like Robert Nkemdiche who stays on the bench, or guys like Noah Spence? These same type of guys you're just itching for us to tank for in next years draft?   Everybody you listed there is doing way more for their teams

8 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I was trying to figure out why he said Vontae? He was a 1st round pick by Miami Grigson didn't find anything when it comes to him. 

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I know how to do it, but why? It's pretty obvious Grigson doesn't need my help to be widely considered a failure. The only place I see any support for him are a handful of people here and Jim Irsay.

Yeah because Jim Irsay knows way more than the both of us.  That I'm certain of.

Just now, krunk said:

What exactly are young 1st and 2nd year players supposed to look like?  Especially undrafted and low round guys.  Should they should look like Robert Nkemdiche who stays on the bench, or guys like Noah Spence? These same type of guys you're just itching for us to tank for in next years draft?   Everybody you listed there is doing way more for their teams

The point is they are not win's. The jury is still out on them, It's stupid to call something a win before it's a win. all of those players would not find a starting job on another NFL team, except maybe Ayers if a team was desperate for a veteran presence.

Just now, SilentHill said:

The point is they are not win's. The jury is still out on them, It's stupid to call something a win before it's a win. all of those players would not find a starting job on another NFL team, except maybe Ayers if a team was desperate for a veteran presence.

That's bull.  What low round and undrafted guys are commanding much demand anywhere?

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

In Robert's defense the guy is on an Arizona D full of tons of talent. And I'm sure the guys he wants to tank for are not late 1st round picks either. Prolly more along the lines of Garrett who is a top 5 pick.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

That's bull.  What low round and undrafted guys are commanding much demand anywhere?

So, what you are saying is that we should be happy they are on the field, just because they are low round or undrafted? I don't get it. They are nothing special.

Ayers has been around longer than anyone on that list.  Of course.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In Robert's defense the guy is on an Arizona D full of tons of talent. And I'm sure the guys he wants to tank for are not late 1st round picks either. Prolly more along the lines of Garrett who is a top 5 pick.

Bruce Arians has not spoken well of him

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

So, what you are saying is that we should be happy they are on the field, just because they are low round or undrafted? I don't get it. They are nothing special.

No I want you to explain how they are produciing more than these guys you say we should tank for sir.

Just now, SilentHill said:

So because Jim Irsay knows more about football, I should just trust him that Grigson is the right GM for this team?

I'd say he's got more incite into the issue than you do.   I disagree about all the players you listed.   To each his own though.   Have at it bro!  Enjoy your day

Um, if we're calling those guys above "nothing to write home about yet" then we certainly can't call guys like Dorsett, Allen, Parry, and Art Jones failures yet. 

Vick Ballard and Donald Thomas couldn't stay healthy, but had talent.  You can't really predict injuries now can you? 

Winston Justice and Aubrayo Franklin were one year stop-gaps.  We got precisely what we expected and needed out of these 2. 

Cherilus played well in 2013 because he was healthy.  He didn't play as well in 2014 and was cut because he couldn't get healthy. 

Toler played better than most will admit to prior to last year.  I still have no problem with them bringing him in, and they replaced him when they needed to.  Same with Ricky Jean-Francois.  These 2 guys were longer term stop gaps that they'd hoped would improve enough to be playmakers.  They didn't, and the team replaced them when they were able to.

I have no problems with the signings of Andre Johnson or Hakeem Nicks.  Another couple of intended stop-gaps.  It would have been nice if they'd have produced more than they did, but it's not like signing either of these 2 guys set the franchise back in any way. 

They missed on Josh Robinson, Amarlo Herrera and Andrew Jackson.  Oh hell, he missed on a few 6th round draft picks.  Bring out the tar and feathers!

Bottom line, of the guys you listed, the only ones I'd consider major failure worth mentioning were Richardson, DJoun Smith, Herremans and Satele.

It's super cute that you think that :)

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Bruce Arians plays guys who make plays.  He believes in playing people who make plays during practice and what not.   You'll find your way into the rotation if you stand out.     

9 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Anybody who could talk down on Swoope is clearly Jaded.     It's getting pretty clear Swoope is going to be an Asset.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I was trying to figure out why he said Vontae? He was a 1st round pick by Miami Grigson didn't find anything when it comes to him. 

Well, Grigson found a former 1st round pick that wasn't performing as he was expected with the team that drafted him, so Grigson took a chance and traded a 2nd round pick for that guy, and now he's one of the top CBs in the game.  Was he one of the top CBs in the game when he was with Miami?

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

No I want you to explain how they are produciing more than these guys you say we should tank for sir.

What are you even talking about, The guys I want to tank for are not even in the NFL yet.

7 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Um, if we're calling those guys above "nothing to write home about yet" then we certainly can't call guys like Dorsett, Allen, Parry, and Art Jones failures yet. 

Vick Ballard and Donald Thomas couldn't stay healthy, but had talent.  You can't really predict injuries now can you? 

Winston Justice and Aubrayo Franklin were one year stop-gaps.  We got precisely what we expected and needed out of these 2. 

Cherilus played well in 2013 because he was healthy.  He didn't play as well in 2014 and was cut because he couldn't get healthy. 

Toler played better than most will admit to prior to last year.  I still have no problem with them bringing him in, and they replaced him when they needed to.  Same with Ricky Jean-Francois.  These 2 guys were longer term stop gaps that they'd hoped would improve enough to be playmakers.  They didn't, and the team replaced them when they were able to.

I have no problems with the signings of Andre Johnson or Hakeem Nicks.  Another couple of intended stop-gaps.  It would have been nice if they'd have produced more than they did, but it's not like signing either of these 2 guys set the franchise back in any way. 

They missed on Josh Robinson, Amarlo Herrera and Andrew Jackson.  Oh hell, he missed on a few 6th round draft picks.  Bring out the tar and feathers!

Bottom line, of the guys you listed, the only ones I'd consider major failure worth mentioning were Richardson, DJoun Smith, Herremans and Satele.

It's super cute that you think that :)

I said as of right now, because as of right now, Dorsett, Allen, Parry and Jones are busts, sure that could change, just like the players you listed could become good, but they are not good yet, just following your lead sir.

I'm glad you think it's cute, shows that you can handle the truth. Some people just can't.

What are you even talking about, The guys I want to tank for are not even in the NFL yet.

I said as of right now, because as of right now, Dorsett, Allen, Parry and Jones are busts, sure that could change, just like the players you listed could become good, but they are not good yet, just following your lead sir.

I'm glad you think it's cute, shows that you can handle the truth, some people just can't.

The point is its no guarantee.   You could have made the same argument last year and there's plenty of these drafted players that ain't doing squat right now.  See Robert Nkemdiche.

I'm glad you think it's cute, shows that you can handle the truth, some people just can't.

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Well, Grigson found a former 1st round pick that wasn't performing as he was expected with the team that drafted him, so Grigson took a chance and traded a 2nd round pick for that guy, and now he's one of the top CBs in the game.  Was he one of the top CBs in the game when he was with Miami?

Don't change that fact that he was a 1st round pick for them. And Grigson didn't find him. He wasn't some scrub that Grigson stumbled apon if that's what you are claiming.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

The point is its no guarantee.   You could have made the same argument last year and there's plenty of these drafted players that ain't doing squat right now.  See Robert Nkemdiche.

I agree it's no guarantee, especially with Grigson drafting.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Don't change that fact that he was a 1st round pick for them. And Grigson didn't find him. He wasn't some scrub that Grigson stumbled apon if that's what you are claiming.

If I didn't say it outright then I'm not trying to claim it.  He was still a struggling former first round pick that his current team had given up on.  Grigson took a chance and brought him in and that guy is now one of the best CBs in the game. 

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

If I didn't say it outright then I'm not trying to claim it.  He was still a struggling former first round pick that his current team had given up on.  Grigson took a chance and brought him in and that guy is now one of the best CBs in the game. 

Ok sure but he didn't "find" anything when it came to vontae. now if he would of traded for a 5th or 6th round pick then sure you could say he found someone. But a highly talented college CB taken in the first round can't go towards his finding talent. I'm sure 80 to 90% of the NFL knew vontae was talented.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Ok sure but he didn't "find anything when it came to vontae now if he would of traded for a 5th or 6th round pick then sure you could say he found someone. But a highly talented college CB taken in the first round can't go towards his finding talent I'm sure 80 to 90% of the NFL knew vontae was talented.

He found a guy that was talented but struggling, took a chance by bringing that struggling player in for a pretty high price and the coaching staff helped Vontae turn his career around.  Call it whatever you want...that was still very much a win for Grigson, Pagano and our team as a whole.