Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much does this Colts defense miss Freeman?

KelownaColtsFan

I know stats don't always tell the whole story, however while trying to figure out why there has been such a significant drop off in the quality of play from our defense, I found this particular interesting. Jerrell Freeman is currently 3rd in the league with 65 tackles. The Colts top 2 linebackers, D'qwell Jackson (36) and Eric Walden (16) have a combined 52 tackles between them. I'm sure it's only part of the reason but letting Freeman walk was easily the worst move of the off-season.

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Total tackle numbers are one of the most misleading stats in the league. It's like judging a QB on the number of picks they throw. It really means nothing without context. Why INT% is a much better number to look at. 

In this case I'd be more interested in TFLs.

I agree the stats can be mis-leading, but having a guy who is leading the league can't be a bad thing. I don't think any one would argue that Freeman is better than anyone we currently have on the roster

Just now, KelownaColtsFan said:

I agree the stats can be mis-leading, but having a guy who is leading the league can't be a bad thing. I don't think any one would argue that Freeman is better than anyone we currently have on the roster

It could be very much a bad thing if he's making all those tackles 5 yards past the LOS.

8 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I know stats don't always tell the whole story, however while trying to figure out why there has been such a significant drop off in the quality of play from our defense, I found this particular interesting. Jerrell Freeman is currently 3rd in the league with 65 tackles. The Colts top 2 linebackers, D'qwell Jackson (36) and Eric Walden (16) have a combined 52 tackles between them. I'm sure it's only part of the reason but letting Freeman walk was easily the worst move of the off-season.

A lot.

Freeman would have been worth bringing back, based on what the Bears paid him, but the Colts wanted/needed to get younger especially on defense. Freeman would be the best linebacker on the Colts though.

Having said that I think it was best to let him walk. He wasn't a Pro Bowl level player nor a young guy who was likely to be a key player on the defense in 3 years. I like Freeman but I think the Colts made the right decision to let him walk.

5 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Freeman was a long term decision the guy is 30 + giving him a 3-4 year deal would be bad move 

No offense , but you need a little better understanding of how contracts work . If you gave him a little better deal than the Bears did , you just pay him a little more than 4 mill per year for 2 years and if he starts slowing down at age 32 , you cut him. The cap hit in 2018 would be a paltry 500K. It's in effect a 2 year deal that Freeman signed.

26 minutes ago, dw49 said:

No offense , but you need a little better understanding of how contracts work . If you gave him a little better deal than the Bears did , you just pay him a little more than 4 mill per year for 2 years and if he starts slowing down at age 32 , you cut him. The cap hit in 2018 would be a paltry 500K. It's in effect a 2 year deal that Freeman signed.

Lol, we will see 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Hmmm.. that's quite a response . Very well thought out. We will see what ?

Over the next 3 years was it the right move or not ,I thought we should have cut Jackson and kept Freeman but the coaches talked about how good irvin ,Morrison and Moore was. So I do think we should have gave him a 3 yr deal and we can move on yr 3 

38 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Over the next 3 years was it the right move or not ,I thought we should have cut Jackson and kept Freeman but the coaches talked about how good irvin ,Morrison and Moore was. So I do think we should have gave him a 3 yr deal and we can move on yr 3 

That is what I thought too.

As far as the contract , it's really a 2 year deal as there was nothing guaranteed in the 3rd year. The only cap space lost if we cut him would be 500K.. which is nothing. That was my point .. even though it's a 3 year deal the structure of it makes it in essence a 2 year deal. 

20 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Total tackle numbers are one of the most misleading stats in the league. It's like judging a QB on the number of picks they throw. It really means nothing without context. Why INT% is a much better number to look at. 

In this case I'd be more interested in TFLs.

I agree, he does not get many tackles for losses, most are for gains