Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard Fournette

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The Colts don't need a RB in the 1st but they would be stupid to pass on this guy.

Fournette is a beast!

We're not one great player away from being a contender.

We're many great players away.      And taking a RB in R1 is very, very risky.

I'm fine if Fournette is there and we pass on him.     Just as long as we take a defensive player,  preferably a pass rusher and the player delivers big time in his rookie season.

We need great talent on that side of the ball....

I love him and would love to have him on our team but if we picked him I'd lose my freaking mind. Round one has to be defense we are in no shape to make a luxury pick like that. If Grigson knew how to draft and use money in FA correctly then we could prolly make a pick like that but he has us deep in a hole on defense.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not one great player away from being a contender.

We're many great players away.      And taking a RB in R1 is very, very risky.

I'm fine if Fournette is there and we pass on him.     Just as long as we take a defensive player,  preferably a pass rusher and the player delivers big time in his rookie season.

We need great talent on that side of the ball....

All draft picks are risky. What's riskier is passing on a truly great player for a player in an area of need. There's no guarantees with any of these guys so why go with an inferior player?

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

All draft picks are risky. What's riskier is passing on a truly great player for a player in an area of need. There's no guarantees with any of these guys so why go with an inferior player?

I'm not talking about an inferior player.

But if we're drafting in the top-10,  which is where Fournette will be taken,   there will be other players who will be just as good,  but play on the other side of the ball.

The Colts have invested the fewest draft picks on defense under Grigson than any other team.    We're dead last in draft picks used on defense.      And that's why we have such a terrible defense right now.

There's nothing more important than defense for this franchise.     If we keep spending 1's on OFFENSE,  then we'll keep losing......

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But if we're drafting in the top-10,  which is where Fournette will be taken,   there will be other players who will be just as good,  but play on the other side of the ball.

The Colts have invested the fewest draft picks on defense under Grigson than any other team.    We're dead last in draft picks used on defense.      And that's why we have such a terrible defense right now.

There's nothing more important than defense for this franchise.     If we keep spending 1's on OFFENSE,  then we'll keep losing......

That all makes sense. I just don't agree that any player in the draft is as good as Fournette. 

Four-letter would be able to contribute immediately. Honestly, any pass rusher that is picked up in this year's draft is going to take a bit before they can contribute. Look at Clowney. It's year three and he's just really starting to get in the game. This is also a deep class for pass rusher so a round one rusher isn't a must like everyone says it is. Pass rush is a need but it's not the only need. The best player available is needed. Garrett might be gone (might not even fit our scheme) and I would take Fournette over Peppers since nobody has a sure idea of where he will play.

4 hours ago, KB said:

Four-letter would be able to contribute immediately. Honestly, any pass rusher that is picked up in this year's draft is going to take a bit before they can contribute. Look at Clowney. It's year three and he's just really starting to get in the game. This is also a deep class for pass rusher so a round one rusher isn't a must like everyone says it is. Pass rush is a need but it's not the only need. The best player available is needed. Garrett might be gone (might not even fit our scheme) and I would take Fournette over Peppers since nobody has a sure idea of where he will play.

Clowney had/has a knee issue

On October 23, 2016 at 0:04 PM, KB said:

I agree.  Best player available in a position of need who has a great chance to start. Dallas took Elliot last year at no. 8 and I don't think they are having regrets. They took a RB with their 1st. pick and we took a center, Kelly, who the majority on this board thought was to early for a center.  Thank God we took him in my opinion. I'm on board with best player available in a position of need. 

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Best player available in a position of need who has a great chance to start. Dallas took Elliot last year at no. 8 and I don't think they are having regrets. They took a RB with their 1st. pick and we took a center, Kelly, who the majority on this board thought was to early for a center.  Thank God we took him in my opinion. I'm on board with best player available in a position of need. 

Yeah, well their defense is considerably better than ours at this point.  You could throw Fournette onto this roster and it's not going to change what we do on the other side of the ball.  It depends on who's available, of course, but unless this class is so deep that we can get our guy in the second round on defense, Fournette would be a hard swallow.   Not saying I dont' want the guy, but BPA on offense in next year's draft in the first round?  It'd be Grigson's job to lose at that point.

24 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, well their defense is considerably better than ours at this point.  You could throw Fournette onto this roster and it's not going to change what we do on the other side of the ball.  It depends on who's available, of course, but unless this class is so deep that we can get our guy in the second round on defense, Fournette would be a hard swallow.   Not saying I dont' want the guy, but BPA on offense in next year's draft in the first round?  It'd be Grigson's job to lose at that point.

Don't forget the caveat "in a position of need".  You could argue their defense couldn't have been to good last year year to get the 8th. pick.  They lost a lot of games.  Elliot is helping them turn their season around.  I am not saying you disregard the defense in favor of the offense.  I am saying take the best player available in a position of need who can start.  The idea of pigeon holing positions to a certain round is dumb. Don't take a RB until the 3rd is dumb.  Don't take a center until the 4th. is dumb. If those positions are a position of need you don't wait to a certain round to fill them.  I don't think Grigson is going to lose his job if the BPA in a position of need turns out to be a RB and he drafts him.  He would have done his job IMO.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget the caveat "in a position of need".  You could argue their defense couldn't have been to good last year year to get the 8th. pick.  They lost a lot of games.  Elliot is helping them turn their season around.  I am not saying you disregard the defense in favor of the offense.  I am saying take the best player available in a position of need who can start.  The idea of pigeon holing positions to a certain round is dumb. Don't take a RB until the 3rd is dumb.  Don't take a center until the 4th. is dumb. If those positions are a position of need you don't wait to a certain round to fill them.  I don't think Grigson is going to lose his job if the BPA in a position of need turns out to be a RB and he drafts him.  He would have done his job IMO.

I guess Bill Polian is dumb.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The Cowboys defense is very well coached. That's why they are doing well. I'd argue that we have way more talent on D. 

If we could run the ball consistently, which Fournette would help us do, we could limit the amount our defense is on the field. 

Dallas is a good example of the BPA approach, but their success this year is due to their 4th round pick just as much as their 1st. I don't see that team having nearly as much success if they had taken Elliott but not Prescott. Same the other way as well.

I'm not opposed to going RB in the first. If guys like Garrett, J. Allen, T. Williams, D. Barnett are all gone and Cook/Fournette are still on the board, one of those RB's may help the defense more than anyone else left on the defensive side of the ball.

I still think I'd prefer to go CB or ILB if all the top pass rushers are gone in the 1st though. A guy like Tabor (CB) or Foster (ILB) would bring the physicality and athleticism this defense desperately needs. I just wouldn't be distraught if they went Cook/Fournette instead.

If Fournette is available you take him. That's pretty much a no brainer at this point. I'd take him over every player in the draft except maybe Myles Garrett.

If Founette isn't on the board I would wait until either 2 or 3. There will be quality RBs still available in those rounds due to the sheer number of RBs coming out. Freeman, McCaffrey, Chubb, and a few others should be around in the 2nd.

• 2 months later...

100% take leonard fournette your not repairing this defense in one year and fournette/luck combo is future rings. Last thing you want is to rebuild your defense to only have pass offense and no run game Gore is a beast but 33 going on 34 years old. This needs to be Colts pick if hes available I would even trade up if possible. Then draft D heavy or OL that is def good if none all defense picks.

49 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

100% take leonard fournette your not repairing this defense in one year and fournette/luck combo is future rings. Last thing you want is to rebuild your defense to only have pass offense and no run game Gore is a beast but 33 going on 34 years old. This needs to be Colts pick if hes available I would even trade up if possible. Then draft D heavy or OL that is def good if none all defense picks.

Bruh no.. I'm so upset you bumped this thread. The Colts are taking a baller defender with the 1st pick, and probably the 2nd too :D

After seeing where we pick, I'm full on with taking Fournette if he's there. He's the 3rd best player in this draft regardless of position. He's a better player than Reuben Foster, Quincy Wilson, and all the other defensive guys people are mocking to the Colts. The only way you pass is if you get a trade offer you can't refuse for him.

That being said I don't think he makes it past Carolina. Cam+Fournette is a SB winning combo.

I'd be okay with Forunette or Dalvin Cook.  That's the only two backs I'd be cool with us taking that high.     I think if you do a good job with the rest of the draft it won't matter whether or not you took a RB in the first round.   If you take a good pass rusher with the 1st pick and you do a bad job with the rest of the draft then you're still stuck.    There's enough great defensive players in this draft to significantly improve on defense whether you take a back in the first round or not.    

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd be okay with Forunette or Dalvin Cook.  That's the only two backs I'd be cool with us taking that high.     I think if you do a good job with the rest of the draft it won't matter whether or not you took a RB in the first round.   If you take a good pass rusher with the 1st pick and you do a bad job with the rest of the draft then you're still stuck.    There's enough great defensive players in this draft to significantly improve on defense whether you take a back in the first round or not.    

which is a good problem to have this year.

and if Cook or Fournette are available when the Colts pick, it'll give them that leeway to significantly improve the run game and in the other parts still improve the lb corps.

it's nice that this draft is deep in another Colts primary weakness this year. Just like last year it was deep in OL.

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

which is a good problem to have this year.

and if Cook or Fournette are available when the Colts pick, it'll give them that leeway to significantly improve the run game and in the other parts still improve the lb corps.

it's nice that this draft is deep in another Colts primary weakness this year. Just like last year it was deep in OL.

Do a good job in FA and the entire draft then taking a back in the first round the caliber of Cook or Fournette I don't think really makes much of a difference.   This is assuming better defensive players are off the board with that pick.

Just now, krunk said:

Do a good job in FA and the entire draft then taking a back in the first round the caliber of Cook or Fournette I don't think really makes much of a difference.   This is assuming better defensive players are off the board with that pick.

and that's the million $ question....not sure if there will be a run on QBs or if both Cook and Fournette are taken first....if both of those scenarios happen, then there will be a damned good D player available when the Colts pick.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

After seeing where we pick, I'm full on with taking Fournette if he's there. He's the 3rd best player in this draft regardless of position. He's a better player than Reuben Foster, Quincy Wilson, and all the other defensive guys people are mocking to the Colts. The only way you pass is if you get a trade offer you can't refuse for him.

That being said I don't think he makes it past Carolina. Cam+Fournette is a SB winning combo.

Cam is overrated and had one good year! 

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Cam is overrated and had one good year! 

A lot of overrated players have one good year (RG3). Not many overrated players have an MVP season. Cam might not be top 5 but he's no worse than Dalton and no better than Eli.

Pair him with Fournette and add another weapon and he'd have another 2015 season.

This draft with Fournette and Cook reminds of 2 years ago. Gurley and M. Gordon went early. The results have been mixed. The Colts desperately need an RB, but I`d rather take the BPA on the defensive side. It doesn`t matter if it`s a CB, LB or Dline. This defense needs playmakers, but they can`t wait until the 5th Rd. to find the heir apparent to Gore. Finding a RB late in the draft can happen, however it`s also like winning the lottery. 

On 10/23/2016 at 8:02 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Fournette is the #1 player in this draft and it's not even close...A mix of AP, Bo Jackson, and Jim Brown....

1 hour ago, 12to13 said:

Bruh no.. I'm so upset you bumped this thread. The Colts are taking a baller defender with the 1st pick, and probably the 2nd too :D

Not necessarily.  I think FA impacts the draft tremendously.  If we get one of the ER's , Corners, LB's or a premier NT in FA or trade then that effects our position of need ranking and that could easily influence who we take 1st.  I wouldn't rule out RB at all.  We will have a better idea after FA. 

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not necessarily.  I think FA impacts the draft tremendously.  If we get one of the ER's , Corners, LB's or a premier NT in FA or trade then that effects our position of need ranking and that could easily influence who we take 1st.  I wouldn't rule out RB at all.  We will have a better idea after FA. 

Sorry but no. There's a ton of good RBs that will be available on later rounds.

The defense is TERRIBLE. 

2 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

That's how I feel. Except I know a great defensive player will be there at #15. 

You don't know that unless you have a crystal ball.  You don't even know the teams evaluation of said player.  It's just your opinion.  And those vary from coaching staff to coaching staff.  If you indeed know there will be a better player there then you shouldn't worry about a back being selected.  As a defender will likely be selected.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

You don't know that unless you have a crystal ball.  You don't even know the teams evaluation of said player.  It's just your opinion.  And those vary from coaching staff to coaching staff.

there could be a very good D player available....but if there's a GREAT rb prospect still available you almost have to take the RB...because that could be a game changer on offense.  (in the Colts case)